Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Getting out of perma-lurk mode to remind you that Vox Pop Labs, the creators of Vote Compass, are responsible for mydemocracy.ca...

Granted they most likely had very specific requests, the loaded questions and overall design was sufficiently flawed to cast doubt on the Vote Compass.

Indeed, for the past several elections the grid placement of parties, at least to me, seemed a little off when I compared their platforms.

Maybe you guys have better insight.

/Goingbacktohiding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So if I wanted to pump the tires of a real leadership candidate without wanting to win myself or having to follow fundraising rules, could I just run, spend whatever I could, then withdraw and endorse the guy I want to win?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flakeloaf posted:

So if I wanted to pump the tires of a real leadership candidate without wanting to win myself or having to follow fundraising rules, could I just run, spend whatever I could, then withdraw and endorse the guy I want to win?

Yeah but if you create some Bernie Bros-type fans your plan might backfire.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

I guess if you don't mind having "failed joke candidate for a joke party" following you around for the next decade, which KOL probably doesn't.

It would be hilarious if this was a Machiavellian plan to funnel funds to Maxime Bernier of all people though.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
BC election is May 9th and the Conservative leadership vote is May 27th. Next up is the NDP leadership vote in October? It's a dry few months for Canadian campaigning

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm torn. Do I want the most sane and sensible CPC candidate to become leader, or the craziest?

The sane one would have a higher chance of actually forming a government, but would hopefully be the least-worst of them all in the job. The other is the most un-electable, but if they did win... :ohdear:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

In BC Greens seem to have the best platform.

Housing: Green has best policy, giving money to renters (ndp) or buyers (libs) is just short term bad policy as it will just cause inflation.

Education: all three just throwing money at the problem, better policy would be finding a way to allow parents to raise their kids and not feel forced to work and dump them in childcare, better mat/pat leave would probably do the trick. On student loans, again, all throwing money at the problem and not dealing with the underlying issue of more people going to university/paying more/predatory loans/lovely job prospects/weak economy. A better option would be to strengthen vocational training options. Almost everyone in Canada goes to a 4 year university and for the vast majority it's a waste of time/money. It's inefficient.

Environment: Greens have the best position. Dam is unnecessary and subsidizing fossil fuels is not a good long-term play. Prices and demand are falling, and Canada's fossil fuels are more expensive than other providers meaning the government will likely be on the hook for all these projects that weren't evaluated properly on their long-term merits (fossil projects need to be evaluated on ~50yr timelines and as it is clear by private companies all giving up on Alberta, it's not good).

Economy: cutting taxes doesn't grow the economy, we have plenty of data from Reagen and Bush years, its bad policy and leads to huge deficits and widening inequality so lib policy is just dumb. Infrastructure projects help collect jobs slack during a recession (ndp) but what BC needs is a stronger, more diverse economy so green policy is best. Minimum wage is not a great thing, basic income is better policy as minimum wage workers get hosed around a lot and need a basic income and security protections more than a minimum number for hours they might not get.

Healthcare: Greens have best position, MSP is regressive and terrible, needs to be rolled in to progressive taxation income taxes. In general tax reform needs improvement with all income types treated equally, and with fewer loopholes and deductions.

Transport: Green has best policy on ferries, bridge tolls.

Electoral reform: libs are terrible and corrupt, greens have better position on electoral reform, referendums are terrible.
I’m not really a fan of Weaver personally, but based on policies alone I would vote green party.

The Green platform is pretty good, though the Greens have the advantage that long shot third parties have, in that they are able to take more political risks and get away with it.

For example I can't help but notice that the NDP housing platform is very careful not to directly propose a policy that would directly tax housing or would directly result in people losing equity. This is a bit peculiar as from following the housing debate, their MLA David Eby has been one of the top guys on criticizing speculative housing investment. My opinion is that the NDP are being careful and probably trying to ensure they're not exposed to any attacks on the Liberals as a party that would cause voters' houses to plunge in value. This results in a housing platform that feels like it's holding back and a bit vague.

There are some parts of the Green platform that feel like they've just taken what the NDP did, but simply promised more of. That's a smart strategy if you're the third place party so I don't blame them for that.

In general I'd be happy to have the Green platform implemented, but there are a few parts I'm concerned about. The platform proposes raising the carbon tax quite a bit and they've stated they're abandoning revenue neutrality in favour of green investments, but the platform is very unclear about how they'd mitigate the negative impacts on people that may have no ability to change their behaviour and use less carbon. That's a real problem. There was a moment in the debate where Clark was going to ask Weaver about this and I was really interested to hear Weaver's answer, but due to the wild debate format he was constantly talking over her and prevented her from asking.

I'm a bit weary of the government using carbon tax money to fund 'green economy' projects and research. I have to agree with the BC Liberals on this one. With the tax in place, these companies are incentivized to be doing this research and development anyway and so I don't see why the government needs to be involved here. This seems like a scenario where taxpayer money could be wasted and used ineffectively.

Decent platform aside, the main thing I'm concerned about is the party and their priorities. After Weaver I don't have a good sense of who else is there, and I'm concerned they'll focus too much on climate issues to the detriment of other important files. The environment is really important to me, but it's not my top issue.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm torn. Do I want the most sane and sensible CPC candidate to become leader, or the craziest?

The sane one would have a higher chance of actually forming a government, but would hopefully be the least-worst of them all in the job. The other is the most un-electable, but if they did win... :ohdear:

Still cheering for the sanest, would rather see civilized debate between 3 sane leaders in Parliament then some clown show rear end in a top hat talk about how everyone should have guns for self-defense and that article is FAKE NEWS, LOW ENERGY

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DariusLikewise posted:

Still cheering for the sanest, would rather see civilized debate between 3 sane leaders in Parliament then some clown show rear end in a top hat talk about how everyone should have guns for self-defense and that article is FAKE NEWS, LOW ENERGY

Yeah, as much as I'd like to think that crazy would scare people away from the CPC, you'd be surprised how many people can excuse such behaviour.

Assuming all else is equal, I'd rather not give crazy a platform (cf. "Donald Trump will never win").

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Given recent events south of the border, give me the sanest one please

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

Given recent events south of the border, give me the sanest one please

I'd love to say something along the lines of "Canadian's aren't that dumb", but, yeah...

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm personally hoping that we can get a complete lunatic Conservative Monster elected, with the hope of loving over the Liberals and making everyone as disgusted with them as they are with the Democrats next door.

Obviously that'd never work, Canadians aren't able to remember anything longer than a few years ago and even if they were are too easily tricked by obvious lies by people like the Liberals, but it's still a nice thought. I'm definitely voting Conservative out of spite either way, though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

I'm personally hoping that we can get a complete lunatic Conservative Monster elected, with the hope of loving over the Liberals and making everyone as disgusted with them as they are with the Democrats next door.

Obviously that'd never work, Canadians aren't able to remember anything longer than a few years ago and even if they were are too easily tricked by obvious lies by people like the Liberals, but it's still a nice thought. I'm definitely voting Conservative out of spite either way, though.

Hooray accelerationism.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

ChairMaster posted:

That's a lot of stupid concentrated into one post

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

You're not very smart, are you?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

ChairMaster posted:

Obviously that'd never work, Canadians aren't able to remember anything longer than a few years ago

Ah, I see you are unfamiliar with fast ferries!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Accelerationism implies that there's a chance of it working out in the end, I don't even care anymore. Let the Conservatives run this stupid place into the ground for the next 30 years or so until America annexes us, who gives a poo poo? My life is gonna suck either way, may as well spread the misery.

e:

T.C. posted:

Ah, I see you are unfamiliar with fast ferries!

poo poo, good point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Accelerationism implies that there's a chance of it working out in the end, I don't even care anymore. Let the Conservatives run this stupid place into the ground for the next 30 years or so until America annexes us, who gives a poo poo? My life is gonna suck either way, may as well spread the misery.

Holy gently caress seek therapy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
First world naive adolescent anarchy.

You might not consider your life to be awesome but it could be a lot worse.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Every time I feel some sort of 1st world angst I just go and flush my toilet. Now that's luxury!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Please stop posting

Please get help

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

First world naive adolescent anarchy.

You might not consider your life to be awesome but it could be a lot worse.

Only one way to find out! Vote Conservative and try to make me regret their victory!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Only one way to find out! Vote Conservative and try to make me regret their victory!

Shut the gently caress up, stop posting, and go get therapy.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Congratulations, you made the 1000th post telling me to get therapy, (even though like 950 of them were posted by you) the prize is that I keep posting and never get therapy!

I don't get why you guys are so hostile to the idea that letting this country burn is much easier and more fulfilling than trying to pretend like there's anything worth saving or any chance of any of your hard work mattering or making a positive difference. Between voting for the Conservatives or the conservatives or the unelectable dipshits or the unelectable wifi conspiracy theorists, you should just pick the honest choice and vote Conservative.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
this is like the other side of the slacktivism coin

or the same side? I don't know.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Because "letting this country burn" is going to disproportionately hurt people less privileged than you and it's a naive stupid worthless opinion. Shut the gently caress up for the love of god, and get therapy (1001!).

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Happiness is all relative anyways, dawg. Maybe if we gently caress over millions of people less privileged than me i'll end up better off. Most of the posters in this thread are straight white people, you can join me in loving over everyone including ourselves for the rest of forever! It'll probably be more successful than trying to help people or make the world a better place!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think instead of therapy you should advance your accelerationist agenda through self harm.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have to admit, if we handed this country back over to the CPC at least the guy wearing the boot that's stamping our faces forever won't be telling me I'm a horrible monster for wanting to go shoot skeet at the sand pits once in a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Happiness is all relative anyways, dawg. Maybe if we gently caress over millions of people less privileged than me i'll end up better off. Most of the posters in this thread are straight white people, you can join me in loving over everyone including ourselves for the rest of forever! It'll probably be more successful than trying to help people or make the world a better place!

Okay, now you're just trolling.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Accelerationism is predicated on the idea that the worst outcomes of bad governance will happen to other people. Either you're wrong and you burn with the rest, or you're right and you're just an rear end in a top hat.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm just looking for different avenues to convince people to do the wrong thing, I think at their core everyone of my generation knows that there's no positive future in store for us or anyone else, and most people just have trouble admitting it. Sometimes looking at things from a different angle can help you accept the truth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChairMaster posted:

I'm just looking for different avenues to convince people to do the wrong thing, I think at their core everyone of my generation knows that there's no positive future in store for us or anyone else, and most people just have trouble admitting it. Sometimes looking at things from a different angle can help you accept the truth.

Actually self driving cars and vertical farming are going to solve all our problems. A technocrat told me in a TED talk everything's going to be great if we just support innovators.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I used to think accelerationism would result in a critical mass that leads to a more economically left and progressive backlash. Then Donald Trump got elected and his supporters doubled down on supporting him while the democrats doubled down on being the same milquetoast, limp wristed, corrupt and neoliberal-lite party they've always been.

Knowing this means I get to choose between AIDS and Cholera as my political choice.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
'because I'm not benefitting, no one is'. You don't need therapy, you're just ignorant and myopic. Grow up. Actually leave the Island like you said you were going to and go see some of these other people, in other places, that you're so sure are just as callous and misanthropic as you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

I used to think accelerationism would result in a critical mass that leads to a more economically left and progressive backlash. Then Donald Trump got elected and his supporters doubled down on supporting him while the democrats doubled down on being the same milquetoast, limp wristed, corrupt and neoliberal-lite party they've always been.

Knowing this means I get to choose between AIDS and Cholera as my political choice.

Aren't you in Toronto?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kraftwerk posted:

Accelerationism, at best, assumes that the adage of Westerners being "three meals a day away from revolution" a) holding true, and the b) assuming it'll be a revolution that actually benefits the people.

For (a), we've seen even the poorest people convince themselves that things aren't really that bad, or a change in status quo could be even worse. For (b), we've had world wars predicated on blaming the entire people completely, so I don't hold my breath for that one, either.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Don't you guys want to the the end of things for real? Are you really content to let the status quo slide so very very slowly into the future we know is coming? To elect Hillary Clinton and Justin Trudeau and let them slowly siphon money and power into the hands of the people who already have more of it than they could ever need while we stand idly by and watch all our predictions come true over the course of our entire lives? Don't you want to see Donald Trump fire nukes at whoever he feels like? Don't you want to see the Conservatives dismantle all social supports and environmental agencies in the country and let the oligarchs turn entire provinces into the pits of Mordor in the search of petty resources we don't even need anymore? What do we have to lose that isn't already doomed?

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed isn't just a funny phrase from a weird old videogame, it's a wonderfully freeing way of looking at the world. This is what the internet was invented for, to observe and chronicle the end of society!

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 27, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Don't you guys want to the the end of things for real? Are you really content to let the status quo slide so very very slowly into the future we know is coming? To elect Hillary Clinton and Justin Trudeau and let them slowly siphon money and power into the hands of the people who already have more of it than they could ever need while we stand idly by and watch all our predictions come try over the course of our entire lives? Don't you want to see Donald Trump fire nukes at whoever he feels like? Don't you want to see the Conservatives dismantle all social supports and environmental agencies in the country and let the oligarchs turn entire provinces into the pits of Mordor in the search of petty resources we don't even need anymore? What do we have to lose that isn't already doomed?

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed isn't just a funny phrase from a weird old videogame, it's a wonderfully freeing way of looking at the world. This is what the internet was invented for, to observe and chronicle the end of society!

I'm quoting this for when you inevitably get committed, or if your future therapist wants evidence of how hosed up you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As if I would ever edit out any of my posts from the CanPol threads. You've seen the two-or-three-year-old ones people keep quoting at me all the time, they're certainly at least as incriminating as that one.