Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Let's follow up the last op with a Falafel Delivery with Bacarruda's additions. (Bulgarian Takeout?)
Nthing buying more EW aircraft for the strike package if possible.

Comedy option: Try go find one of those UCAV Gripens that somebody mentioned a few pages back for SEAD missions.
Name it the Botfly just to gently caress with the Free State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Any progress on plan Steal from the Free ?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yooper posted:

The NoFly zones were a fucker. Air units won't fire into them but you can manually fire into them. So I had to do a lot of screwing around to keep a flight of F-16's from crossing the line and then it's "suddenly" missiles. We'll continue to use them, and the devs know about the issue, so hopefully we'll be all good in the future.

Can you run an experiment where instead of a no-fly "zone" you instead create a narrow no-fly band across the border? Maybe if that happens the air units will target and fire units that are on the other side of the band but won't cross it because they can't get a path?

Loel posted:

Sounds like the Kfir's are being delivered so it might be too late.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Next time if we send Taurus missiles in again, can we have a provision to launch them so they fly around the Tunguska as far as possible?

Yooper, thanks again for running this, looks like missions are becoming more and more complex too! I liked the longer format, and I got to see myself in theatre finally!

I know Hot Pants has a solid copilot and they have a good thing going with much success, but if it becomes possible I'd love to fly with him, just so we get Hard Pink Hot Pants

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

If we overrun an airfield/fuel depot, can we loot units?

(I really want that s300...)

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So, what's the answer for what we're doing, firing Meteors at max range without attack radar?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Added Space posted:

So, what's the answer for what we're doing, firing Meteors at max range without attack radar?

That wedgetail returning the favor, probably.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Loel posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you run an experiment where instead of a no-fly "zone" you instead create a narrow no-fly band across the border? Maybe if that happens the air units will target and fire units that are on the other side of the band but won't cross it because they can't get a path?

Sounds like the Kfir's are being delivered so it might be too late.

Once we've halted the Bulgarian Advance we'll talk about Steal from the Free. Jack, our man in Angola, Abramof, is currently using his persuasive skill set on some financially pliable pilots. More details to come later.

It seems that you can make a channel and units will restrict themselves to that area. But they won't fire at things inside of the no-nav zone. On the downside hostiles can fire on you and you might not respond. I've got a bug report in and need to get an example scenario to show the issue. One person thought it's WAD, I've heard from others it's not. So dunno. It's too helpful not to use them though, even if I have to manually assign targets.

Loel posted:

If we overrun an airfield/fuel depot, can we loot units?

(I really want that s300...)

Airfields tend not to do well when angry infantry get in range and see expensive things. Infantry loves to make expensive things into not-expensive things.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just spot weld some sheet metal over it and it's good to go. Send up the next goon pilot!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yooper posted:

It seems that you can make a channel and units will restrict themselves to that area. But they won't fire at things inside of the no-nav zone. On the downside hostiles can fire on you and you might not respond. I've got a bug report in and need to get an example scenario to show the issue. One person thought it's WAD, I've heard from others it's not. So dunno. It's too helpful not to use them though, even if I have to manually assign targets.

So if you make a line of no-fly zone separating box A from box B, your guys won't travel from box A to box B but they also won't fire into box B? In other words they won't fire across a no-fly zone, even if the target is in an area that's technically permissible to fly but they can't get to?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if you make a line of no-fly zone separating box A from box B, your guys won't travel from box A to box B but they also won't fire into box B? In other words they won't fire across a no-fly zone, even if the target is in an area that's technically permissible to fly but they can't get to?

Yooper said units sometimes cross thin red no fly zones unpredictably, which is exactly what we are attempting to avoid

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yooper posted:

Airfields tend not to do well when angry infantry get in range and see expensive things. Infantry loves to make expensive things into not-expensive things.

"Commander! You may want to instruct your men to exercise restraint when using explosives... while certainly effective at killing aliens, they also destroy the artifacts we're hoping to recover from the bodies. Just something to consider."

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Added Space posted:

For the Dictator? Simpliest is an OECM bird flying along with a bunch of F-16's to jam our S-100 and stop us using it for missile guidance. They can then 1) force our Gripens to go active for missile targeting and guidance and 2) Force the Gripen to remain pointed at the F-16 with radar active after meteor launch to provide mid course updates to the missile. This will let them close to reply with whatever version of the AMRAAM they have, possibly before we can launch depending on how good their OECM bird is.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 27, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Why Yooper decided to kill me by having Hawks bomb targets with SAMs active and CAP off refueling, I have no idea.

Operation Vengeance
Quick turnaround on groups 3 and 4 below (Tornadoes turnaround with conventional ATG loadout rather than Tauruses).
1. Gripens with Meteors on CAP, shoot down enemy planes.
2. Support planes and drones hang back and do their support thing.
3. Tornadoes launch Tauruses at the SA-10.
4. Every other plane bombs the poo poo out of SAMs and the SA-10. If any bomb is wasted on a non-SAM, that pilot is exiled to Free State.
After the quick turnaround, all combat planes not on CAP bomb enemy radar and ground units.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Our plane, the one in the south, will fire at the plane directly to the north, and the one inside of the No-Fly encircled square. Our plane will also happily fly between the two zones.

Unfortunately our plane has a conniption fit and glitches itself through the thinner no-nav zone and then gets stuck inside the box, or inside the no-nav band.

It totally ignores the plane on the left and doesn't fire or even acknowledge it is there. No vectoring, no interception, nothing.

Lessons : Thin bands are bad. Thick, continuous areas are good, but must be babysat.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Loel posted:

"Commander! You may want to instruct your men to exercise restraint when using explosives... while certainly effective at killing aliens, they also destroy the artifacts we're hoping to recover from the bodies. Just something to consider."

Good point, gotta set up our own R&D to take advantage of what I'm assuming have been light-year advances in 3D printing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Added Space posted:

better awacs/ewar, lower rcs and longer range than the other guy

remember how we dealt with the chinese superfighters by letting them literally run out of missiles shooting down half the indian airforce while we avoided them, that's because if one side has a sizable advantage in these things and doesn't gently caress up then you're gonna die

be extremely thankful that we picked the starting package with an awacs btw

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yooper posted:

encircled square

Need to find a way to use this, something to do with squaring the circle or other business jargon

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yooper posted:

Our plane, the one in the south, will fire at the plane directly to the north, and the one inside of the No-Fly encircled square. Our plane will also happily fly between the two zones.

Unfortunately our plane has a conniption fit and glitches itself through the thinner no-nav zone and then gets stuck inside the box, or inside the no-nav band.

It totally ignores the plane on the left and doesn't fire or even acknowledge it is there. No vectoring, no interception, nothing.

Lessons : Thin bands are bad. Thick, continuous areas are good, but must be babysat.

Balls.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

How's this for Hayard-Gunnes colours?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I like it

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Reposting the map from last page:

We really need to find a way to capitalise on our gains, there's what, 3 lithium mines on our border that if we only pushed ahead a little more we could take! Get those groundpounders some mobility and AT capability and we're rolling.

Looks like the Free State are in rather desperate need of intervention. But that's not our problem.

Quinntan posted:

How's this for Hayard-Gunnes colours?

Looks good!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Just to see if Im doing this right...

For the next purchase, I want
6-8 Gripen E
1 Growler
1 SA-20

Does that fill in gaps we've been missing?

Edit: if Im lucky, also an SS-26M

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 27, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
That'd be a wishlist if we'd like a billion. Instead, we've only 218m to play with

Offhand, I'd expect us to pick up
1 Prowler
4 Tornadoes
1 MQ-9

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Quinntan posted:

That'd be a wishlist if we'd like a billion. Instead, we've only 218m to play with

Offhand, I'd expect us to pick up
1 Prowler
4 Tornadoes
1 MQ-9

Clearly, we need more mines :unsmigghh:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Loel posted:

I endorse this message.

With more mines we could fund multiple squadrons of Gripens, 1 Growler per squadron, and enough AA to giggle at the Dictator actively on Twitter.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If have money left over, should we look into buying some improved gear for our ground forces? By which I mean the Count's ground forces, since most of ours are apparently still beating each other with planks. :colbert:

I figure we can get some nice stuff for them for the aforementioned capitalising on the enemy.

Actually we could sort of tick both boxes if we ordered a bunch of Hinds - we can use them to blow up ground forces, then airlift our ground elements so they can advance further than they could on foot.

Can I add Hinds to the wishlist?

Edit:

Hexenritter posted:

I endorse this message.

With more mines we could fund multiple squadrons of Gripens, 1 Growler per squadron, and enough AA to giggle at the Dictator actively on Twitter.
Actually, I don't think we really need AAA, we seem to largely have a handle on keeping the skies clear. It's the ground stuff that's the problem!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Loel posted:

At first I didn't realize you meant the lithium mines, and was envisioning naval mines attached to weather balloons. Either way I'm on board, more dosh = more fancy toys.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yvonmukluk posted:

If have money left over, should we look into buying some improved gear for our ground forces? By which I mean the Count's ground forces, since most of ours are apparently still beating each other with planks. :colbert:

I figure we can get some nice stuff for them for the aforementioned capitalising on the enemy.

Actually we could sort of tick both boxes if we ordered a bunch of Hinds - we can use them to blow up ground forces, then airlift our ground elements so they can advance further than they could on foot.

Can I add Hinds to the wishlist?

Edit:

Actually, I don't think we really need AAA, we seem to largely have a handle on keeping the skies clear. It's the ground stuff that's the problem!

Sadly, they turned us down for "game balance", pshaw.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, you know that's a fair point. I was envisioning a Hind/Apache/Comanche/whatever strike force for ground targets at one point but anti-air is so ridiculously good that it'd be a waste of money when we can use drones. Instead, we need a mechanised division including fast attack buggies with recoilless rifles until we can mount railguns on them.

edit:

Expansionism: Targeting Huambe(Huambo?) and Benguel airbases and the surrounding radar stations (and carpetbombing the Bulgarians) would offer the greatest bang for our buck right now I think. Hitting/Entebbe'ing the two eastern airbases near Moxico(?) could allow us to begin pushing the Dictators forces into the sea.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 27, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Probably can't get tanks or heavy land equipment b/c actually getting them into the country is somewhere between difficult to improbable. Almost certainly the country is under sanctions and unlike the dictator our old guy prob. doesn't have the connections to bribe eastern europeans or w/e else to sell to them anyway.

We can still get planes b/c you can just fly them in (same with missiles etc) and obv. nobody is enforcing a no-fly zone in africa but heavier stuff would need botes or like, C-5s that we don't have and also don't have good enough airfields to land

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

UberJew posted:

Probably can't get tanks or heavy land equipment b/c actually getting them into the country is somewhere between difficult to improbable. Almost certainly the country is under sanctions and unlike the dictator our old guy prob. doesn't have the connections to bribe eastern europeans or w/e else to sell to them anyway.

We can still get planes b/c you can just fly them in (same with missiles etc) and obv. nobody is enforcing a no-fly zone in africa but heavier stuff would need botes or like, C-5s that we don't have and also don't have good enough airfields to land

There are enough 70s/80s Volvo and Mercedes sedans in Africa that we could rig up a sizeable force of superlight SPGs though :v:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

UberJew posted:

Seeing as we live in an AynRandian fantasy land of PMC's and corporate wars... we can definitely buy tanks, armored vehicles, etc. Our suppliers are more than happy to assist. For a price. Once we've cleared up the issue of the Bulgarian advance we'll get a mid-term procurement round.

As the Rolling Stones say : "You don't always get what you want, but if you try real hard, you just might what you need!"

Or what I'll sell you.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hexenritter posted:

There are enough 70s/80s Volvo and Mercedes sedans in Africa that we could rig up a sizeable force of superlight SPGs though :v:

I imagine our guys have that sort of stuff which is why they've been able to blunt the armored assault rather than just getting completely run over

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So does the Dictators' Air Forces get stupider every time he :commissar: his own Air Admirals? I can't imagine actual smart people wanting the job anymore.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I feel the Bulgarian column is Priority 1, but after that I reallt like an Eastern push. That would give us 2 airports, 3 mines, and threaten to split the country. He might pull troops from the north eastern radars entirely.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

All I want for AA is a search radar. I think the actual missiles we have are enough of a deterrent for now.

Agreeing with Tornadoes + Reaper plan, but remember we don't get paid next mission. What happens when we expend more munitions than we can afford to replace?

e: oh that happens first. Question stands in general.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Groggy nard posted:

So does the Dictators' Air Forces get stupider every time he :commissar: his own Air Admirals? I can't imagine actual smart people wanting the job anymore.

A guy in the MilHist thread did some awesome posts on the Iran/Iraq war and how Saddam had this absolutely terrible officer corps. He picked officers for political reliability, timidness, and incompetence. Then when he really needed quality people he didn't have any at all, like none. Saddam was too afraid of threats to his own power to allow anyone competent to come up. Sure we'd like to think of our Dictator as a rational individual, but in all likelihood he's not. Where we see an incompetent military he sees a safe military that won't drag his corpse behind a truck.

There is an IC reason to his madness, just so you don't think I'm not pulling punches. But beware madmen, for who knows what he might do. Or buy. Or Hire.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Loel posted:

I feel the Bulgarian column is Priority 1, but after that I reallt like an Eastern push. That would give us 2 airports, 3 mines, and threaten to split the country. He might pull troops from the north eastern radars entirely.

Operation Bugger the Bulgar..

An Eastern push would seriously limit Dick's airspace as well as slash his force projection capability by a third. If we can wheedle any useful intel from Jack about Vape Nation's plans we can time it to coincide with/take advantage of their next big push.

Yooper posted:

A guy in the MilHist thread did some awesome posts on the Iran/Iraq war and how Saddam had this absolutely terrible officer corps. He picked officers for political reliability, timidness, and incompetence. Then when he really needed quality people he didn't have any at all, like none. Saddam was too afraid of threats to his own power to allow anyone competent to come up. Sure we'd like to think of our Dictator as a rational individual, but in all likelihood he's not. Where we see an incompetent military he sees a safe military that won't drag his corpse behind a truck.

There is an IC reason to his madness, just so you don't think I'm not pulling punches. But beware madmen, for who knows what he might do. Or buy. Or Hire.

I fully expect the Dictator to attempt, at the very least, thermobaric bombing of civilian targets within our territory, if not attempt some sort of dirty nuke, nerve agent or something he rustled up from the now-defunct Soviet Biopreparat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
It looks like we're not doing an aircraft buy, and the last time I made a plan nobody even gave me the time of day. I might still make one later, though!

However, considering the circumstances, I'd like to request that, whatever plan we go with, we title it Operation Stonehenge