Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Whole bunch of dummies are caring about it tonight for a few hours, maybe a few minutes tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Akiba's Sheet. Like a way you could say poo poo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Akiba's NEETs

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

that forums post ranks just below this thread as the worst thing I've ever read but considering xseeds translations are best in business whatever they're doing is obviously working for them

please be nice to me about my posts

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Is it supposed to be any good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

akiba's beat looks like tales of xillia meets persona, only if both those things were made by the skilled developers who brought us Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault.

so, no.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Akiba's Trip but missing the actual good things from Akiba's Trip: definitely worth all this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Akiba's trip but a spinoff Tales clone while we make a trip anime because ???

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

wait for the asian territories release, in english with all the Ks in place (and maybe a few extra for the dedicated!)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

wait for the asian territories release, in english with all the Ks in place (and maybe a few extra for the dedicated!)

kool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

actually, they removed the kkk sign from the jp version too, presumably because after being told what it meant in america they didnt want to be associated with it even among the few japanese who'd get it. (presumably, ones who have read hellsing)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I kan only imagine how fun the kombat will be.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

actually, they removed the kkk sign from the jp version too, presumably because after being told what it meant in america they didnt want to be associated with it even among the few japanese who'd get it. (presumably, ones who have read hellsing)

Tom's post says it's still in the JP version; did they push out a patch or something since?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tom's post says it's still in the JP version; did they push out a patch or something since?
maybe ive been misinformed too?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The sequel to Yomawari, "Yomawari: Midnight Shadows", is coming overseas this Fall for PC/PS4/Vita.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh my god why is the Vita wifi so poo poo. A 3 GB patch taking almost 4 hours, why not? :suicide:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

orcane posted:

Oh my god why is the Vita wifi so poo poo. A 3 GB patch taking almost 4 hours, why not? :suicide:

This might sound like a joke, but have you tried restarting your system? I've had trouble with downloads before, and that tends to help me out.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SpacePig posted:

This might sound like a joke, but have you tried restarting your system? I've had trouble with downloads before, and that tends to help me out.

Also try pausing the download and then resuming it. Most of the time this fixes slow downloads on any Sony platform.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I will say, Tom Lipschultz has both done more to make me look at Akiba's Beat than any bit of advertising, and also cheered me up after a rough day by being the worlds dumbest tool so that's something.

Tho for real if that's his attitude then he's being actively harmful to the process of localisation and im glad XSEED know when not to listen to him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going 'but what if we DIDNT change this' is whatever, because every decision needs both sides to be considered even if it seems like an obvious one, but i have no idea why he immediately shouted it on every hilltop he could

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

going 'but what if we DIDNT change this' is whatever, because every decision needs both sides to be considered even if it seems like an obvious one, but i have no idea why he immediately shouted it on every hilltop he could

He's very opinionated about what he considers censorship, that's why.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm curious if there's ever been a discussion wrt censorship that wasn't a complete dumpster fire?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alder posted:

I'm curious if there's ever been a discussion wrt censorship that wasn't a complete dumpster fire?

Prob that firewall thing China had (has?) sparked some interesting ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alder posted:

If you mean about about video games for a long time there was, if not free of dumpster fire, at least a fairly reasonable place to discuss it because A) censorship was a lot more common and pervasive (BoF4's changes for example are both nonsensical and pretty large) and B) A lot more to discuss in terms of genuine censorship of content that is less overtly objectionable.

However the vast majority of content censorship is entirely gone and the only stuff remaining tends to involve sexualization and very frequently of underage girls which means it dominates the entire discussion heavily and that is a recipe for garbage. It also has gotten entwined with the localization = censorship discussion which used to be kind of a joke except it's gotten embroiled, again, with the people who are heavily focused on the sexual elements.

And this doesn't mean all censorship of sexual elements is good or right-headed but unfortunately it's an all-or-nothing where you can't separate "maybe you didn't need to shove cloth over this" and "How dare you remove this scene of an 11 year old girl being tentacle molested?!" And any genuine worry about censorship is by its very nature stuck arguing alongside the guy who is REALLY UPSET that the scantly-clad anime girl doesn't have a 16 next to her name in the manual.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also changing content for a new market so it sells better isn't censorship

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Like an example of localisation kind of overstepping it's boundaries would be something like, say, the PS1 American release of Persona 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Like an example of localisation kind of overstepping it's boundaries would be something like, say, the PS1 American release of Persona 1.

Even that's a reasonable place for discussion because, for example, Phoenix Wright exists and is pretty much a more successful attempt at the same thing. There's a lot of room for discussion and there isn't even necessarily a right answer. (I'd say P1 was wrongheaded while PW is successful but there's a lot of context behind both rather than 'this is wrong and bad.')

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

But we're adults. We can parse the difference. Just release a game as-is and let the customer decide how to feel.

Wait, what do you mean we can't buy the game in most of Europe?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Also see Raw Danger on the PS2

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah, we're just past most of the 'moral panic' phase of censorship and left with a lot of the 'no this is actually illegal please do not defend this' stuff.

In other news I'm gonna buy the Night Trap 25th Anniversary Edition Rated T for Teen

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Even that's a reasonable place for discussion because, for example, Phoenix Wright exists and is pretty much a more successful attempt at the same thing. There's a lot of room for discussion and there isn't even necessarily a right answer. (I'd say P1 was wrongheaded while PW is successful but there's a lot of context behind both rather than 'this is wrong and bad.')

Yeah I guess even that's more a case of execution rather than the inherent idea.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

If you mean about about video games for a long time there was, if not free of dumpster fire, at least a fairly reasonable place to discuss it because A) censorship was a lot more common and pervasive (BoF4's changes for example are both nonsensical and pretty large) and B) A lot more to discuss in terms of genuine censorship of content that is less overtly objectionable.

However the vast majority of content censorship is entirely gone and the only stuff remaining tends to involve sexualization and very frequently of underage girls which means it dominates the entire discussion heavily and that is a recipe for garbage. It also has gotten entwined with the localization = censorship discussion which used to be kind of a joke except it's gotten embroiled, again, with the people who are heavily focused on the sexual elements.

And this doesn't mean all censorship of sexual elements is good or right-headed but unfortunately it's an all-or-nothing where you can't separate "maybe you didn't need to shove cloth over this" and "How dare you remove this scene of an 11 year old girl being tentacle molested?!" And any genuine worry about censorship is by its very nature stuck arguing alongside the guy who is REALLY UPSET that the scantly-clad anime girl doesn't have a 16 next to her name in the manual.

Thanks for the info. IIRC the first time I felt localization handled it poorly would've been P1 but I'm not familiar with PW so yeah. The few times it's come up is just over dumb games like MonHun and adding more clothes for everyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I think non-sexual censorship happens even today. Or at least, censorship that isn't just underage girls in skimpy outfits. Mostly revolving around gay stuff, but still. Maybe removing the gay-specific conversations (not the supports, just the unique conversations) was more boneheaded localization than censorship, but I think the end result is still censorship. Same with how they changed Niles's backstory in that game. The problem is people prefer to talk about facepetting and the one time a character kind of says a meme.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Eh, I think non-sexual censorship happens even today. Or at least, censorship that isn't just underage girls in skimpy outfits. Mostly revolving around gay stuff, but still. Maybe removing the gay-specific conversations (not the supports, just the unique conversations) was more boneheaded localization than censorship, but I think the end result is still censorship. Same with how they changed Niles's backstory in that game. The problem is people prefer to talk about facepetting and the one time a character kind of says a meme.

There's absolutely room for stuff like that to be discussed and it's unfortunate that, yeah, there's no way to discuss one without dragging in the other in any kind of large public forum, especially since a lot of people who end up dragged into the discussion tend to have been informed about it secondhand and are focusing on the Hot Button Issue and not the whole product.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think the more interesting question is how come the KKK doesn't get some trademarks going and profit off of this

'Sorry we just couldn't secure a licensing deal with the Ku Klux Klan'

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
^^^ I don't know if it's a good or bad sign if the Klan considers your product too low quality to give their license to.

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, we're just past most of the 'moral panic' phase of censorship and left with a lot of the 'no this is actually illegal please do not defend this' stuff.

On a basic level even if someone did get morally offended at something (like a street sign reading KKK), that's not inherently wrong. People feeling offense at something is something they're allowed to do. (I know this is an ironic thing to say on a forum that exists to make edgy jokes).

This interacts with a weird way in cases like this because Xseed does some of the most nonliteral translations out there, clearly localization changes period are not being objected too (though they probably are in other places). But as soon as a change is done for the reasons of "this might/probably will offend someone" then it's bad and wrong an horrible.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 27, 2017

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

akiba's beat looks like tales of xillia meets persona, only if both those things were made by the skilled developers who brought us Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault.

so, no.

Aegis of Earth was a mess technically but at least it was fun whenever it wasn't falling apart at the seams. Not sure if Akiba's Beat can say the same.

Edit:

Endorph posted:

Maybe removing the gay-specific conversations (not the supports, just the unique conversations) was more boneheaded localization than censorship, but I think the end result is still censorship. Same with how they changed Niles's backstory in that game. The problem is people prefer to talk about facepetting and the one time a character kind of says a meme.

Wait, what? How am I just hearing about this? Any details on this?

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nyeehg posted:

Aegis of Earth was a mess technically but at least it was fun whenever it wasn't falling apart at the seams. Not sure if Akiba's Beat can say the same.

Edit:

Wait, what? How am I just hearing about this? Any details on this?

The FE Fates localisation changed the gay S supports to be copypastes of the straight equivalents. I assume it was to save time. It was pretty loving bad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I get the feeling the Niles change was because they didn't want the only male same-sex pairing option in the game to also be the dude who got sexually abused as a kid. As it is both the gay options in Fates are social outcasts to one extent or another already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

I just got a Vita from a friend of mine, and I want to jump into some ridiculous anime. Is Hyperdimension Neptunia worth getting while it's not on sale, or should I wait until Drive Girls?