Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

I was talking about a completely different standard than this, you know, the one that had Mana Leak, 1 and 0 mana cantrips where Snappy was insane like he is in older formats. They rotated out Mana Leak and pretty much all of the good cheap spells specifically because of how good Snapcaster was, and it was STILL great. But yeah this clearly is not the format or deck I was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I don't think Snap was the reason that deck was dominant tbh but yeah Delver was insane in that format. That had more to do with it having Mana Leak, Ponder, and the answers to Geist being hot garbage. Also, Inkmoth + Pike was stupid and miserable to play against. Snappy was gross but not the reason the deck was the best in the format.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Marketing New Brain posted:

I was talking about a completely different standard than this, you know, the one that had Mana Leak, 1 and 0 mana cantrips where Snappy was insane like he is in older formats. They rotated out Mana Leak and pretty much all of the good cheap spells specifically because of how good Snapcaster was, and it was STILL great. But yeah this clearly is not the format or deck I was talking about.

You're basically talking about a two-month time frame right between like May 2012 and July 2012, when Delver pushed ahead of Pod and right before M13 rotated Mana Leak out of Standard. Forgive me if I don't see your point about Snapcaster's dominance

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

You're basically talking about a two-month time frame right between like May 2012 and July 2012, when Delver pushed ahead of Pod and right before M13 rotated Mana Leak out of Standard. Forgive me if I don't see your point about Snapcaster's dominance

Delver was pretty much always the best deck in that format. Also, Mana Leak didn't rotate until RTR.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PT Dark Ascension had 4 Delver/Snapcaster decks in the top 8, 3 Primeval Titan decks, and 1 Birthing Bod deck. A bit under 1/3 of the players that went 9-1 or better in standard were playing it. That's a strong performance to be sure, but it certainly doesn't seem all-out busted.

e: More people were playing Geist of St. Traft than were playing Snapcaster Mage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Delver was pretty much always the best deck in that format. Also, Mana Leak didn't rotate until RTR.

my bad. 3 months, I guess?

But straight up, go back and look at tournament results. Delver was nowhere near as dominant as you are making it out to be.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sickening posted:

Just so happens melissa was part of the playtest group and it looked like there wasn't much emphasis on that team. It appears they have changed their mind on that front, maybe for the better.

Wait, yeah! They have people like her working for them right? Then what the hell is their excuse? "Ah yes! We are going to hire this person, because she is really good at the game and then not listen to a word she says! Brilliant! Now, let's print another loving Gideon!"

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
My point, now somewhat lost, was that they don't ban cards based solely on power level or prevalence in a format. They ban because they are unpopular. Cards like Bloodbraid elf never got banned because they weren't chase mythic so people didn't care as much, if it had been 70 dollars per elf it wouldn't have made it out of Block Constructed.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

They banned Jace because Jace was the best card in that standard. Caw-Go was arguably the best deck even before Stoneforge was around. The other top tier decks were things like URx Twin featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, RUG Control featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, UW Control featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, UB Control featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, and then RDW and Valakut. Jace was more prevalent in that format than SFM.

Also, you're insane if you think Snapcaster is better than Jace or SFM.

That's not even remotely true. Jtms is a generically good card so it fit into most blue decks, sure, but mostly in the same way that preordain or ponder did. Most of the decks that played him weren't Jace decks. The only real Jace deck was using the caw/jace combo to draw three cards, without that he was a solid 3 effects worth between 0 and 1 mana at sorcery speed. That's still a solid bit of extra value but it didn't break decks wide open.

Remember, when he got printed he saw almost no play (ie. he did not make blue good by himself) and when blue got better and you had the bant mythic decks he was played as a 2-3 of.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jenx posted:

Wait, yeah! They have people like her working for them right? Then what the hell is their excuse? "Ah yes! We are going to hire this person, because she is really good at the game and then not listen to a word she says! Brilliant! Now, let's print another loving Gideon!"

Because they value the counsel of Wiseman more than any of their other employees.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NovemberMike posted:

That's not even remotely true. Jtms is a generically good card so it fit into most blue decks, sure, but mostly in the same way that preordain or ponder did. Most of the decks that played him weren't Jace decks. The only real Jace deck was using the caw/jace combo to draw three cards, without that he was a solid 3 effects worth between 0 and 1 mana at sorcery speed. That's still a solid bit of extra value but it didn't break decks wide open.

Remember, when he got printed he saw almost no play (ie. he did not make blue good by himself) and when blue got better and you had the bant mythic decks he was played as a 2-3 of.

Jace is too good on an empty board and too miserable to play against.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

Jace is too good on an empty board and too miserable to play against.

mostly because of that fateseal ability. I'm glad they realized how unfun that mechanic was, particularly on a permanent.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

My point, now somewhat lost, was that they don't ban cards based solely on power level or prevalence in a format. They ban because they are unpopular. Cards like Bloodbraid elf never got banned because they weren't chase mythic so people didn't care as much, if it had been 70 dollars per elf it wouldn't have made it out of Block Constructed.

I mean, you're right but I think you're missing the point. Obviously the ban hammer will only fall when people are dissatisfied with Standard. If the format is just Mardu mirrors all day but people love it and FNMs are booming, WotC won't do poo poo. This is kinda obvious. WotC only changes things when people are unsatisfied. Why would they change things if people are happy?

You have to remember that at the end of the day, Magic is a game. Games need to be fun, my dude.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jenx posted:

I don't know what the timeline was but she may not have been working there when copycat was past the point of no return.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jenx posted:

I guess the good thing to come out of this, is that it will stop people from bitching about Standard for at least a short while.

2 weeks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because they value the counsel of Wiseman more than any of their other employees.

Well that explains why we haven't seen any Moonfolk besides Tamiyo in years.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ari Marmell's Agents of Artifice was actually a nice read. I seriously did not expect that. Of course, after reading how Liliana got a whole bunch of Jace's friends killed in a bid to become an interplanar mob boss, these new stories come off a bit weird. :v:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Attorney at Funk posted:

INN-RTR owned because it had Esper Sphinx's Rev decks with Nephalia Drownyard as a win condition.

I enjoyed RTR-THS UWx control with Elixir of Immortality as win condition.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So are we supposed to recognize the weird knobbly staff that Elder Dragon God Pharaoh Legend Bolas is stealing in the art of Dispossess?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's not Bolas.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

JTMS also fits into the same category as Emrakul the Promised End where on top of being powerful it's a card that lets the opponent perform the MTG equivalent of torture on you before it kills you, and you can't just scoop because your opponent might use the fateseal or the Emrakul turn wrong and leave you with outs. These cards are way less fun to play against than other finishers despite achieving the same ends.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

I mean, you're right but I think you're missing the point. Obviously the ban hammer will only fall when people are dissatisfied with Standard. If the format is just Mardu mirrors all day but people love it and FNMs are booming, WotC won't do poo poo. This is kinda obvious. WotC only changes things when people are unsatisfied. Why would they change things if people are happy?

You have to remember that at the end of the day, Magic is a game. Games need to be fun, my dude.

Well, yes, but I think this banning, and the previous standard banning, and the one before that, are just appeasement. They aren't testing or worrying about the format or collecting data, they are just making sure they keep certain groups happy and don't get fired and aren't really planning or thinking ahead. The explanations are all theatre and there is no philosophy that is guiding them, which is just embarrassing. I mean they clearly got it right banning the stupid cat combo, but the way it happens reveals incompetence or at the very least a lack of a clear plan at the highest levels.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unban Magic players, ban Magic developers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

So are we supposed to recognize the weird knobbly staff that Elder Dragon God Pharaoh Legend Bolas is stealing in the art of Dispossess?

I thought that was a demon, ala the Archfiend?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tales of Woe posted:

JTMS also fits into the same category as Emrakul the Promised End where on top of being powerful it's a card that lets the opponent perform the MTG equivalent of torture on you before it kills you, and you can't just scoop because your opponent might use the fateseal or the Emrakul turn wrong and leave you with outs. These cards are way less fun to play against than other finishers despite achieving the same ends.

Jace is fine in a format with enough answers. Standard (and some extent modern) is not that format.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I thought that was a demon, ala the Archfiend?

Yeah it's that guy. He's also on Haze of Pollen getting his allergies triggered or something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Siivola posted:

That's not Bolas.

It's not? I mean it's a big dragon dressed like a pharaoh? I guess he doesn't have the magic pokeball between his horns. Is it supposed to be a demon or something?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropic posted:

I think that's a Honed Khopesh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah it's that guy. He's also on Haze of Pollen getting his allergies triggered or something.

I didn't realize it wasn't a dragon until seeing the card for the third or fourth time.

I do like the design, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I think that's a Honed Khopesh.

drat, a Leonin Scimitar functional reprint is pretty good but not that good.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Xaerael posted:

Important thing to note, fellow oldschool player... a lot of core rules are different now. Mostly for the best. Eg, Mana burn is long dead, the combat step makes way more sense, and instant speed stuff works very differently.

Also, if you still have your old cards, and you played during Revised... congratulations. Your duals that were worth $20 a playset are worth a fortune now.

wait, what??

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

Poor demon guy's got it rough. Makes a living fencing swords and has massive allergies. :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

For all we know that's the Demon Liliana came to murder.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mana burn was a gotcha mechanic that really didn't add anything to the game. The only design space was used with that one card that gave you mana during each upkeep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If you have unspent mana at the end of a phase or step, nothing happens. It just goes away. Add eight green, spend six of it on Ulvenwald Hydra, you don't lose two life. It just disappears.

It's opened up a bit of design space now that you can't essentially pay X to reduce your own life total by X anymore.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

This is how Razaketh looks in Duels:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Entropic posted:

It's not? I mean it's a big dragon dressed like a pharaoh? I guess he doesn't have the magic pokeball between his horns. Is it supposed to be a demon or something?

It's this dude I believe, who fits neatly into the category of "please put art on cards that I can actually see at that size please"

Nice painting though.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If you have unspent mana at the end of a phase or step, nothing happens. It just goes away. Add eight green, spend six of it on Ulvenwald Hydra, you don't lose two life. It just disappears.

It's opened up a bit of design space now that you can't essentially pay X to reduce your own life total by X anymore.

well raise my rent.

I need to clarify that rule to my son, he's got a bunch of cards that give mana when you attack with them out of Kaladesh and I told him about mana burn.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

I mean Jace uptick was definitely unpleasant but I think not that different than any slow control deck win con. Being drownyarded out or towered out is all pretty much the same, the format had fetchlands fateseal wasn't even a real lock.

People just hated the card because when your deck cost 80 bucks and a JTMS was 100 it felt unfair. It's one of the most popular cards in other format with a ton of people begging for it to be unbanned, right or wrong.

Emrakul also wasn't slow torture, it was actually very quick, it's just being mindslavered is the actual ultimate feel bad in magic that most competitive players will scoop rather than go through it unless their deck is designed to be immune lack Lantern control or something similar. It's an insanely dumb ability to put on a to cast trigger on a card that's pushed to see a lot of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Count Bleck posted:

It's the demon from Archfiend of Ifnir, so I don't think it's supposed to be famed mega-demon and guardian of the afterlife, Razaketh.

Though it would be hilarious if it is.