Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Kris xK posted:

Is there a key modifier to self cast? As in I'm playing Kerrigan, and want to cast her spike trap at my feet, or I'm playing Arthas, and want to cast Death Coil on myself.

I think it's Alt+[Hotkey] by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is account level just the combined level of all your characters?

Also is Tyrande good? I got a skin for her last night and I've decided that I'm just going to play whoever I have cool stuff for right now.

I also got a chariot that looks like it's straight out of Kirby, so that's awesome.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Huxley posted:

Is there some kind of new-player grotto I'm in where I only get to play Cursed Hollow in QM?

I hit level 5 last night playing 3-4 games each with LiLi and ETC, and I've played only one game on a map other than Cursed Hollow.

Also, having never played any kind of moba before, this is actually pretty fun. Powersliding through an entire lane of the little guys and stunning them was fun, and I finally played a game where the opposing team injured our base and we came back to win. Every game up to that point was mostly a stomp, so it was fun to see that not always be the case.

Yes, they limit you to Cursed Hollow on brand new accounts for the first few games (I think it is account level 3 or the first 3 games) because it is the "least wacky" map and doing the same map will help you get used to mechanics without trying to learn a new map at the same time.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Also is Tyrande good? I got a skin for her last night and I've decided that I'm just going to play whoever I have cool stuff for right now.

I also got a chariot that looks like it's straight out of Kirby, so that's awesome.

1. Yes

2. She's ok. Can be rough as solo healer vs a more "pure" healing support but not an auto-loss.

3. ride that poo poo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

When playing medivh, is there a way to automatically travel through your portal as soon as you cast it? I'm pretty bad at clicking on it in the heat of battle. Watching grubby play, he gets through instantly every time. I don't know if he's just that good, or if there's a trick to it.

For the first question, no, unfortunately. Would be nice if you could just press a hotkey.

You might be trying to enter the portal by clicking slightly too high or too low consistently. I'd just spend 5 minutes in Try mode and get the muscle memory down. It has max priority, so if you right click a portal it should use the portal every time, even if it's really close to an enemy or tribute or w/e

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

IcePhoenix posted:

1) Yes

2) Tyrande is kind of an "enhancer" hero. There are a lot of other heroes who have the ability to make plays by themselves, but Tyrande can provide huge advantages to her team if they are coordinated and make use of them. She's very situational.

3) That mount is awesome, but Circus Lion with Hat will always be the best.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes, but level 1 doesn't count. 10 heroes at level 5 = account level 40

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I want to finish the veteran introduction to see if I get a loot box, but I'm so bad at this game that I can't beat the 3rd part.

:negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the advice on Tyrande. Looks like I may just be best off sticking to playing her when partied with others.
I'm absolutely going to play her in pubs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lester Shy posted:

I want to finish the veteran introduction to see if I get a loot box, but I'm so bad at this game that I can't beat the 3rd part.

:negative:

The thing they want you to do is to just go back and forth between the two lanes and just kill the other team's hero. Ignore the little guys.

edit: unrelated, I really wish you could set up loadouts for random hero select. I don't ever want to ride the regular rear end horse or kodo ever. And I don't want my Anub'arak to end up with a regular skin over his cool yellow robot skin. Regular horse mounts are also scientifically proven to cause a team to lose. That's just the facts

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 27, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Macaluso posted:

edit: unrelated, I really wish you could set up loadouts for random hero select. I don't ever want to ride the regular rear end horse or kodo ever. And I don't want my Anub'arak to end up with a regular skin over his cool yellow robot skin. Regular horse mounts are also scientifically proven to cause a team to lose. That's just the facts

The topic of "I don't want random select to give me a random skin" has come up so often on reddit that when I saw it still does that after 2.0 I was honestly pretty surprised. I feel the same way, because there are some skins I just don't care for and got in bundles or whatever.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Macaluso posted:

Just did the veteren introduction, got nothing. Why must people lie about sacred things like this

edit: NEVERMIND. I got it, they just don't tell you you got it for whatever stupid reason.

Can confirm it works. Got 105 shards of duplicates and 2 new rare skins :woop:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hello! I'm new to the game, having watched Scarra's stream and seen that it looks fun and so far I've been enjoying it. At the same time though, I've managed to get two different epic Murky skins through chests and I have a feeling the game is trying to tell me that I should play him. I've heard he's a bit of a troll character though. How does one play Murky and is he worth getting?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

uh when do you hear the voice lines :( Is it on taunt or randomly?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The end clip got me.

Snacksmaniac posted:

uh when do you hear the voice lines :( Is it on taunt or randomly?

Default hotkey I

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I think the pregame voice interactions are broken right now, I haven't heard any.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Matchmaking, huh? That's what you call this?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

raverrn posted:

quote:

QM tries to keep skill levels balanced and create coherent team comps, but guarantees neither.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

raverrn posted:

at least you have a tank and healer, lots of times you don't even get a healer

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

raverrn posted:

A swan song of fire and ice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I mean, that's better than the 5-assassin deathmatch nonsense that usually gets bitched about. Yeah, it's triple support, but all three supports are pretty good damage too, and Arthas is a sufficient frontliner.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
That's a way better team comp than 5 squishy assasins with no sustain vs 4 assassins (two of which have sustain) and a Varian.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You got three of the highest-damage supports and two heroes who benefit a _lot_ from constant streams of healing. That's a pretty solid comp.

Have Li Li go full Wind/Serpent/Water Dragon build, Auriel go Increasing Clarity/Repeated Offense and the resurrect ultimate, and Tassadar go Force Wall and pump up his slowing beam with talents. The baseline heals are going to be enough to keep the team up and running.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At least one good thing about Hanamura is stealing buffs because the enemy team keeps forgetting that they're a thing.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So what's the general "not be a bad player" strategy for Stealth characters?

Hang with the group and pick off people out of place?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
If you can manage to not slam out "gg" in chat after your first death as a stealth player you're already well ahead of most of them.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Rerolled a regular Loot Chest, got two legendaries including Maraudin' Muradin. The system works.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

ceaselessfuture posted:

I dunno, the bar is pretty drat low on expectations from stealth characters. We've seen too many play like stealth is complete invisibility, get caught out, then blame blizzard for not having real stealth and repeat.

Play like you don't have stealth. You can guarantee value from your kit and abilities, you can't guarantee the value that you get out of stealth. Then start seeing what you can get away with.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Pants Donkey posted:

At least one good thing about Hanamura is stealing buffs because the enemy team keeps forgetting that they're a thing.

I'm still debating whether or not to take fishy deal with murky there, it seems really good to snipe the solo dude camp and grab that team heal.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ceaselessfuture posted:

Scout around your team/the objective/important areas of the map a lot so your team has the information advantage.

Don't hang back like a muppet in teamfights (or try to roam when a fight is coming up): try to attack the squishies/wounded in the middle of the battle if you can, but actively fight - you contribute nothing if you're just standing around waiting for enemies to drop low enough that you can gank them, but you're still helping if you Snipe the enemy tank on cooldown because it was the only target you're in position to hit.

Don't try to go for a sick gank far away from your team and then get killed because you didn't know where the enemy is, your gank target wasn't actually isolated, and the enemy team collapsed on you.

Zeratul and to a lesser extent Valeera have decent waveclear, so don't be afraid to lane with them inbetween objectives/fights if there's no obvious thing you need to scout.

Basically, play your hero as if you were a non-stealth hero who also has the ability to scout the enemy team/objective relatively consequence-free, rather than playing like you have 1HP and if the enemy ever sees you you'll spontaneously explode.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm still debating whether or not to take fishy deal with murky there, it seems really good to snipe the solo dude camp and grab that team heal.

The only reason you should ever NOT take Fishy deal is if they have stealth AND you think you'll be able to use the egg to reveal it (so fights over a stationary objective). It doesn't even matter what the mercs are on the map or how many lanes or whether you think your puffer will be contested in lane. If you don't need to reveal stealth there is no reason not to take fishy deal.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Elysium posted:

The only reason you should ever NOT take Fishy deal is if they have stealth AND you think you'll be able to use the egg to reveal it (so fights over a stationary objective). It doesn't even matter what the mercs are on the map or how many lanes or whether you think your puffer will be contested in lane. If you don't need to reveal stealth there is no reason not to take fishy deal.

I agree with this except on Tomb of the Spider Queen where the mercs suck (only three camps and they usually don't do much before getting cleared). Fish Eye can be good for keeping an eye on the turnin points, especially the bottom one where there are plenty of vents to hide the egg in.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

raverrn posted:

That's a pretty decent comp tbh.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I tried that Auriel cooldown reduction on Q build and thought it was pretty sick. Hitting 3 heroes is no cooldown so you can spam it all day for tons of damage. However, we lost the game because my teammates decided my build sucked and wanted to talk about that instead of play.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

HelixFox posted:

I agree with this except on Tomb of the Spider Queen where the mercs suck (only three camps and they usually don't do much before getting cleared). Fish Eye can be good for keeping an eye on the turnin points, especially the bottom one where there are plenty of vents to hide the egg in.

Everybody got excited about Egg Hunt when the rework was new, is that actually not any good then?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is the Probe dude any good/fun? I like playing Zagara, and it seems similar.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Kai Tave posted:

Everybody got excited about Egg Hunt when the rework was new, is that actually not any good then?

People seem to have smartened up to it. It is useful for having LOS on places but probably not as much useful as the other two.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

HelixFox posted:

I tried that Auriel cooldown reduction on Q build and thought it was pretty sick. Hitting 3 heroes is no cooldown so you can spam it all day for tons of damage. However, we lost the game because my teammates decided my build sucked and wanted to talk about that instead of play.

People were really upset that I was taking resurrection last night. Each one of them would bitch endlessly until I used it on them and then that individual person would stop bitching about it for the rest of the match.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Tyrande is good as long as you don't try to play her as a support. Just pretend you are Raynor with a heal basically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boz0r posted:

Is the Probe dude any good/fun? I like playing Zagara, and it seems similar.

Probius doesn't have much in common with Zagara beyond plopping junk on the map and pushing lanes, but their skills are very different. It can be fun if you like the shock combo, but is hard to get results with and has some lame talents. It can push a lane like crazy if left alone, though.

I'd maybe say that in terms of play style it's more like Chromie with much shorter range, but nobody is really that similar to Probius.