Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Does the purchasable equipment rotate every week or is it just every so often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So am I the only one who even got an Ushior, or is everyone not mentioning it because it's terrible? I'm pretty sure it's objectively pretty bad, but I haven't tried using it on an Infiltrator yet. Could be a good gimmick similar to "Shotgun Inf" in ME3

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^burtle posted:

Does the purchasable equipment rotate every week or is it just every so often?

Every thursday. The silver and gold one alternate weeks so they each stay available for 2 weeks.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Next patch is in a couple of weeks AFAIK.

It looks like having tactical cloak 6b does make the damage bonus persist a lot longer than not having it. So phew, I guess.

precision posted:

So am I the only one who even got an Ushior, or is everyone not mentioning it because it's terrible? I'm pretty sure it's objectively pretty bad, but I haven't tried using it on an Infiltrator yet. Could be a good gimmick similar to "Shotgun Inf" in ME3
It's a single shot pistol that takes two or three weak point shots to kill an enemy, in a game with extremely dodgy critical hit detection and no reload cancelling.

What's not to love?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Any estimate on how long it lasts without the bonus? Such as 1 second vs 2 with the bonus?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Nice. Do they have a balance patch scheduled for this any time soon?

https://twitter.com/ehlien/status/857480040803586049

They're apparently at the point where they're discussing it publicly, but I don't have time to do a full Reddit dive until this evening.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
This comment from Billy over on Reddit sorta explains their thought process when it comes to balance. It's pretty much what I already thought, and I think their intent was reasonable, just that their execution was lacking (and some of the decisions for certain weapons didn't make any loving sense at all).

Also don't quite agree with their decision to wait for a big patch, but I understand it as well.

As for why they don't have the architecture to do weekly updates like in ME3, might have something to do with the new engine, or the current gen consoles. The ME3 updates were done by making changes to a text file, which your game would draw from everytime it connected to the servers. Apparently they don't have that now, but they have said they want to add it back in.

EDIT: From there you can look at his post history and he replied to whole bunch of comments in that thread.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 27, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Digirat posted:

Any estimate on how long it lasts without the bonus? Such as 1 second vs 2 with the bonus?
It's not very long, might be even less than that.

My testing wasn't very scientific, but I tried the phalanx, sidewinder, and raptor in the tutorial mission.

With the phalanx I was having trouble even getting two shots with the damage bonus (so at first I thought it was bullshit). With the sidewinder I could get two or three shots off though, with the raptor about four or five.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

precision posted:

I have one, but it appears to be one of the worst weapons in the entire game so I don't use it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I have one, but it appears to be one of the worst weapons in the entire game so I don't use it.

First pack I opened had a Sweeper Remnant AR in it, and despite the fact it does peanuts for damage, not being glued to ammo boxes made me keep with it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And it's not like there were weapons in ME3 that were so bad there was basically no point using them - GPSMG, GPR (outside of a very limited circumstance), Vindicator, etc

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Screw you buddy, the vindicator was no phaeston but it was still pretty serviceable with a bit of stability.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Alright well can we agree on the original Eagle before they buffed it about a billion times?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe you just had to rank it up? :smug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tooterfish posted:

i am going to stand over you and let a raider stomp you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tooterfish posted:

i'm gonna wait until you're playing vanguard then headshot every enemy that's near you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tooterfish posted:

i will get sync killed on objective waves on gold leaving you to carry it alone

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Two Finger posted:

i'm gonna wait until you're playing vanguard then headshot every enemy that's near you

That doesn't work actually you can still charge them a half second after they're dead.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
At least the Vindicator was like an uncommon drop. The Ushior is ultra rare and there's absolutely no reason to ever use it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Not if I beat you to it!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Two Finger posted:

tooterfish posted:

Not if I beat you to it!

Fuckers I will race you.

aegof fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 27, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Now that I'm on lunch, here's the important bit I've been able to get from Reddit:

quote:

For the first patch, we were focused on stability (connection and crash fixes) for the most part. We got a couple small tweaks to an issue with rate of fire sorted out too. The timeline for that patch meant we were mostly fixing issues noted during early access from EA/Origin Access programs

So early access was March 16th, first patch took 3 weeks, for essentially some bug fixes. So that's probably the minimum turnaround time.

Most of the rest is all platitudes and admitting that they know Gold is broken and a lot of characters aren't performing as well as they'd like.

There is a good breakdown of their logic with regard to TTK. Enemies spend less time in cover/effective cover due to jetpacks and programming their set points where they're jumping compared to ME3. Rather than increase the damage they do, they raised the overall TTK.

Except they somehow calculated this poorly for sniper rifles and melee.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Looking at the TTK of enemies in ME3 MP and thinking that should be increased under any circumstances is peak :laffo:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

Looking at the TTK of enemies in ME3 MP and thinking that should be increased under any circumstances is peak :laffo:

I kind of get what happened. They're trying to remake essentially a cover based shooter with way less cover. First thing that pops out is that enemies are going to die quicker because there exposed.

What they're missing is that ME3 had a gethfiltrator with a javelin, piercing mod and drill ammo.

Cover was much more of a distance/flanking thing than the reason enemies were alive. Hell, phantoms didn't care about cover, and they would gently caress you up.

Also Observers existing throws their entire internal logic out the window.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, if you're following his logic it seems like they assumed the extra mobility and all would completely change everything and they may have overreacted to that. I'll be interested to see where they wind up after patching.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Digirat posted:

This is the same dev team that thought Sync Kills were a good idea in ME3, and then doubled down by putting in even more with worse Netcode. Brain Damage is already implied in everything they do.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Relentless posted:

I kind of get what happened. They're trying to remake essentially a cover based shooter with way less cover. First thing that pops out is that enemies are going to die quicker because there exposed.

What they're missing is that ME3 had a gethfiltrator with a javelin, piercing mod and drill ammo.

Cover was much more of a distance/flanking thing than the reason enemies were alive. Hell, phantoms didn't care about cover, and they would gently caress you up.

Come to think of it there are probably more enemy types in ME3 that didn't use/rarely used cover than ones that did.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

This is the same dev team that thought Sync Kills were a good idea in ME3, and then doubled down by putting in even more with worse Netcode. Brain Damage is already implied in everything they do.

Don't forget they also forgot about verticality with them this time

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I guess we should be thankful they haven't put in ridiculously powerful sync-killing neutral animals yet, like they did with Inquisition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ME3 multi really wasn't much of a cover shooter by the end of its patch cycle, either. An Asari Sentinel with a Reegar can sit out of cover all game and completely melt poo poo all the way through Platinum. The same for many other classes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 multi really wasn't much of a cover shooter by the end of its patch cycle, either. An Asari Sentinel with a Reegar can sit out of cover all game and completely melt poo poo all the way through Platinum. The same for many other classes.

From memory I generally only played classes that needed cover as little as possible.

I mean hell, look at the... Devastator? Disruptor? I can't remember what it was called. The N7 Vanguard with the sword and the stagger power he shot from his hand. Someone had that clip of him just utterly wrecking everything on Gold and never once going into cover

Slayer, that was it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Two Finger posted:

From memory I generally only played classes that needed cover as little as possible.

I mean hell, look at the... Devastator? Disruptor? I can't remember what it was called. The N7 Vanguard with the sword and the stagger power he shot from his hand. Someone had that clip of him just utterly wrecking everything on Gold and never once going into cover

Slayer, that was it.

The N7 Paladin operated on Snap Freeze ignoring entire walls and just walking around.

I'm not sure this team even played ME3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Relentless posted:

The N7 Paladin operated on Snap Freeze ignoring entire walls and just walking around.

I'm not sure this team even played ME3.

well to be fair, that wasn't working as intended unless you're honestly trying to tell me snap freeze was meant to work through walls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Relentless posted:

I mean yeah, you can see motives behind a lot of this game's problems as being solutions to some perceived issue or other. The problem is that they are really really bad solutions with huge collateral damage, but bioware never apparently thought about what kind of side effects these things will have and just slapped them in the game. Enemies are easier to kill because players have more angles to shoot them...so just give them more health! Bam! Problem solved!

What's that, how much damage should this new gun do? Uhhh...50 sounds good I guess. Yeah. Whatev. Just put in a number.

DatonKallandor posted:

I guess we should be thankful they haven't put in ridiculously powerful sync-killing neutral animals yet, like they did with Inquisition.

Haha holy poo poo they put sync kills in dragon age too?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Slayer, that was it.

I think all the N7 classes just swaggered around the battlefield with complete disregard for cover. I know the Destroyer did.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Digirat posted:

I mean yeah, you can see motives behind a lot of this game's problems as being solutions to some perceived issue or other. The problem is that they are really really bad solutions with huge collateral damage, but bioware never apparently thought about what kind of side effects these things will have and just slapped them in the game. Enemies are easier to kill because players have more angles to shoot them...so just give them more health! Bam! Problem solved!

What's that, how much damage should this new gun do? Uhhh...50 sounds good I guess. Yeah. Whatev. Just put in a number.

IF this strategy is used as a 'throw poo poo at the wall, see what sticks' and refining is done from that point onwards, it's not exactly great but I can get behind it. IF refining is done once they work out what does and doesn't work.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

some kind of mechanism where they could balance the game without client patches that are months apart would really help with that, not that their game from 5 years ago had that functionality or anything

Not like they had years to iterate on this poo poo already either

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really cool how Adhi can sync grab you twenty feet in the air. Wait, no, the other thing, it's stupid.

Also the Krogan Gladiator's model's a little busted; the lights on the back just jiggle around. They aren't actually attached to the Krogan.

e: DA:I's multi was a huge piece of poo poo.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Two Finger posted:

well to be fair, that wasn't working as intended unless you're honestly trying to tell me snap freeze was meant to work through walls

I don't think it originally was, but they ended up not fixing it and it made a class that functioned uniquely. The only other one that got it was the alliance infiltration/sexbot, but they both had slightly different bugs in how it acted.

Either way you got a guy who ran around freezing things and beating them to death and causing double damage tech explosions on himself instead of at the target so he wanted to be super close to everything.

There were all sorts of unfixed bugs in 3 that became features.

He wasn't even the biggest offender of "cover is for pussies" by a long shot, the infinite stagger destroyer was great at that too. Hell, the flat out added the geth juggernaut and krolord who just didn't have cover mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Relentless posted:

I don't think it originally was, but they ended up not fixing it and it made a class that functioned uniquely. The only other one that got it was the alliance infiltration/sexbot, but they both had slightly different bugs in how it acted.

Either way you got a guy who ran around freezing things and beating them to death and causing double damage tech explosions on himself instead of at the target so he wanted to be super close to everything.

There were all sorts of unfixed bugs in 3 that became features.

He wasn't even the biggest offender of "cover is for pussies" by a long shot, the infinite stagger destroyer was great at that too. Hell, the flat out added the geth juggernaut and krolord who just didn't have cover mechanics.

The juggernaut was the final give up moment I feel.
'Here just take this dude and never worry about cover or death again. We don't care'

• Locked thread