Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Three years ago? I used to be a white Cadillac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Is josh rawdawg of Jason Ellis fame?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah baby

https://twitter.com/Bonnaroo/status/857629100931940353

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wow. Outside of the Scotts that's a shockingly bad lineup. Has Bonnaroo really gone downhill in the past few years?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really liked the Ahmed Best interview on I Was There Too. Seems like a nice, actually-talented guy.

R. Guyovich posted:

if you have whatever brain disease makes you like the canon the canon is back

If they're doing it with a different co-host each episode, it could have potential, though really just the fact it doesn't have Faraci in it any more means it will automatically be an improvement. If they ever do it with a guest host I really liked, I'd give it a shot.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Apparently Nerd Poker is back. It's not on Earwolf though. I think Brian's just doing it himself. It's Blaine, Ken, Brian and Dan Telfer.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Everyone complains about Sark leaving, but Gerry Duggan's departure from Nerd Poker was what killed the show for me. I don't think he got enough credit for how much he brought to the show.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tatumje posted:

Everyone complains about Sark leaving, but Gerry Duggan's departure from Nerd Poker was what killed the show for me. I don't think he got enough credit for how much he brought to the show.

Yeah him leaving ruined it, Sark leaving made it that much worse.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I really liked the Ahmed Best interview on I Was There Too. Seems like a nice, actually-talented guy.

I had no idea of his backstory and stage work. It's cool that he was involved in Clone Wars and such and that he's consistently gotten Star Wars work since then, despite being in a weird place in the fandom. He came off super sympathetic in that interview, and even though he helped choreograph that godawful Yoda fight sequence, he really did make it sound like Lucas was the driving force behind all the wrong decisions. Hell, Yoda using the force to battle with his saber is kinda dumb, but way less dumb then flipping around like a cartoon character. Also, I knew it likely wasn't in the cards based on how non-confrontational Gourley's interviews tend to be, but I would have loved if he'd asked more about the minstrel show nature of the performance and where that came from, and how nobody raised their hand at any point and went "Uhh, is this subservient 'other' character really calling these white saviors 'massa?'". It felt like he almost-kinda danced around it at a point or two, but maybe that was just me projecting.

It's too bad the Superego thread went into archives. Pistol Shrimps and I Was There Too don't seem to have a big enough audience for a thread here, and Superego is so rarely active.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you didn't listen to the last Spont, time to go do that.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Chairman Capone posted:

If they're doing it with a different co-host each episode, it could have potential, though really just the fact it doesn't have Faraci in it any more means it will automatically be an improvement. If they ever do it with a guest host I really liked, I'd give it a shot.

i'm gonna listen to the armond white episode because i love armond white

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Senator Giroux posted:

It's Howl/Stitcher rather than purely Earwolf, but Big Grande's Teachers Lounge just dropped season 2.

I don't remember anyone talking about the show or it even being promoted on Earwolf, but I downloaded it for a long trip just on faith of Drew Tarver and Dan Lippert, and I don't think I've laughed as much at anything in a long time. In my book, it gives Andy Daly's Pilot Podcast Project a run for its money.

i dont know, it felt like they just kept trying to push each other into more and more crazier poo poo which is fine. but then the next episode they recap it all and then add more, then do it again, and again, and again

maybe dont binge it like i did and listen once a week or something

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 378 days!
So I was listening to Hollywood Handbook's Spont episode again (it's really the best ep of the show), and Sean said that "we're not allowed to have music on the show anymore" with PFT saying "I heard"

What happened here? I'm guessing it was the Ike Barinholtz ep (they played that entire good charlotte music video, which is the song and some skit stuff with the dreadlock guy from nsync) but I don't know and I hope my boyz are not in trouble :ohdear:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tenderjerk posted:

So I was listening to Hollywood Handbook's Spont episode again (it's really the best ep of the show), and Sean said that "we're not allowed to have music on the show anymore" with PFT saying "I heard"

What happened here? I'm guessing it was the Ike Barinholtz ep (they played that entire good charlotte music video, which is the song and some skit stuff with the dreadlock guy from nsync) but I don't know and I hope my boyz are not in trouble :ohdear:

Isn't "not being allowed to have music on the show" a running bit? And PFT may have just been "Yes, anding..."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think they probably did get another stern "Hey, knock it off with extended usage of unlicensed music, but for real this time" talking to from Colin Anderson (As dramatized in the Mikal Cronin ep.)

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

tenderjerk posted:

Scripps don't play.

(and don't pay)

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
This is driving me crazy. Is Stitcher Premium and Howl the same thing or two different things?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Two different names for the same service. E.W. Scripps bought Stitcher last summer and apparently decided that leveraging the "established" Stitcher name was a better move than trying to build the Howl brand. They've been talking about gradually transitioning Howl to Stitcher Premium pretty much since it launched.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 2, 2017

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
in the big grande Spont episode PFT said "you can get it on.... stitcher premium.... which is what we have to call it now"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah eventually the plan is to get all the Howl people over on Stitcher. But, like everything else, I think Howl people will eventually just wake up one day and find out their app doesn't work anymore and *surprise!* they are now Stitcher customers.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

This is driving me crazy. Is Stitcher Premium and Howl the same thing or two different things?

You're in good company since I've heard multiple Earwolf hosts asks this question out loud.

You're in bad company if you work for Scripps :agesilaus:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I feel like maybe it was mentioned before, and I'm sure Scott is getting $$$... but it has to hurt your soul to sign a deal that I think unknowingly reduced his power and is going to phase out a lot of his branding and otherwise in like 2 years

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Crazyweasel posted:

I feel like maybe it was mentioned before, and I'm sure Scott is getting $$$
They keep casually mentioning it but I think he sold a chunk of his ownership before the sale.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
As always, latest HH makes me laugh like an idiot out in public

Can we cut this out?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

*makes loud sound to wake up his dad* "I'm sorry"

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my new favorite thing is when podcast people make fun of asmr and reveal that they know a TON about it

loving great episode, drew tarver works so well with the boys. chris krinkle is my favorite asmrtist

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

They keep casually mentioning it but I think he sold a chunk of his ownership before the sale.

The funny thing about all this is that once Earwolf is dead and buried all the content producers, unless they pay them serious cash, will just move over to an independent podcast networks and all the money spent will be for nothing. They're trying to re-create the network model in podcast form, but it's over, it's not coming back. The distribution model that services like Youtube and Twitch offer are the future, traditional media companies are just grasping at straws at this point.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

The funny thing about all this is that once Earwolf is dead and buried

but...w-what happens to this thread

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The wolf dead

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
This will become a "friends of Feral Audio" or "UCB-Adjacent Comedy" discussion thread if/when Earwolf folds.

If I remember correctly, Scripps bought Midroll primarily for their advertising network. They don't care about silly comedy podcasts that aren't profitable. They will eventually start cutting smaller shows. Depending on how well they handle that situation, Earwolf might fold shortly afterward.

Howl's launch was a preview of how much Scripps management cares about content creators. Earwolf doesn't seem to be in great shape. Podcasts don't usually make a ton of money, but they also have the smallest production costs of any medium. Running a dedicated podcast studio just seems like a huge waste of money for something that can be produced almost anywhere.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
please just change the thread title to UCB-Adjacent Comedy now because its really funny to me for some reason

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
UCB adjacent comedy, the megathread for podcasts about two boots pizza and gristedes supermarket.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

that sushi place with a logo that looks like the gamestop logo

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Went to Hollywood Handbook live at UCB last night. Kumail was on as a guest. They made fun of Scripps immediately. It was funny.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speak on that.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Kumail and Sean had sex

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Obviously just rename this thread to Hollywood Handbook: An insider's guide to kicking butt and dropping names in the red-carpet-lined back hallways of this industry we call showbiz thread

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Hollywood Handbook and Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeman
May 7, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

As always, latest HH makes me laugh like an idiot out in public

Can we cut this out?

i'm on the bus, just walking down the street, laughing out loud at the podcast. it's the best