Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Weavered posted:

No, still need to keep away from the pigs and sheep.

Good life advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Supernorn posted:

The triggers on the controller allow you to switch between inventory and the item list.

God drat it, I knew there was going to be something obvious I missed. Thanks!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm working on getting to 10 hearts with everyone, and man, this has made it obvious that Gus is some kind of robot or something. The sewer ghoul has more of a personality. Also why is his head so gigantic? Something is going on here.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Jummy posted:

Depends on what you were hoping they'd do. Now instead of the cursor floating around the screen like you were using a mouse it snaps to each thing individually. Handy in some cases, but annoying in others. For instance, if you go to Pierre's and try to sell something you can't just move the cursor down to your inventory. You have to scroll to the bottom of his item list and then it'll go to your inventory. Once you do that the first time each visit, however, then you can move over to the scroll bar on the right and switch back and forth a little easier. I'm not sure why you can't just move the selector over to the right and then down to your inventory but until you scroll to the bottom of Pierre's list it'll just keep moving it back to his stuff. Real annoying.

Supernorn posted:

The triggers on the controller allow you to switch between inventory and the item list.

Nice. I definitely prefer the "snapping to objects" over the fake mouse cursor thing and I've been waiting for better controller support before jumping into a new game... which I realize is a weird reason.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Since the last update, all the savefiles I've tried so far crash, at sleep if not earlier. And they're way, way past the monster quest stage. I'm an unhappy farmer.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I think for my next copy-the-save-file-that-has-millions-of-gold-and-do-poo poo-purely-for-aesthetics project, I'm gonna make central Illinois. When I was a kid we drove through it every year, and I have very vivid memories of it.

So it'll be just massive fields of corn and soy (well, the bok choy will have to stand in for the soy), with tree breaks in between the fields, and a shed-house in the middle of the field down by the pond with like three trees and a teensy garden next to it, and a big ruler-straight road through the middle. And I think I'll make the greenhouse a roadside greasy spoon diner, though tbh it would be more realistic-looking if the greenhouse was still a pile of rubble.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

showbiz_liz posted:

I think for my next copy-the-save-file-that-has-millions-of-gold-and-do-poo poo-purely-for-aesthetics project, I'm gonna make central Illinois. When I was a kid we drove through it every year, and I have very vivid memories of it.

So it'll be just massive fields of corn and soy (well, the bok choy will have to stand in for the soy), with tree breaks in between the fields, and a shed-house in the middle of the field down by the pond with like three trees and a teensy garden next to it, and a big ruler-straight road through the middle. And I think I'll make the greenhouse a roadside greasy spoon diner, though tbh it would be more realistic-looking if the greenhouse was still a pile of rubble.

This sounds great. Post pix plz, even if you just set it up in the planner.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do I need to water saplings? I had one without the adjacent tiles occupied, within range of a scarecrow, and it disappeared a few days later. I figured you didn't need to water them because (as far as I could tell) the color of the soil doesn't change when you water one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You don't need to water saplings, and you must not dig holes for them. Stick 'em in the ground and walk away.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I planted most of my saplings in dug holes before realizing I didn't need to dig a hole, to no seemingly ill effects.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Animals are annoying as gently caress. They're super profitable but I'm still on the verge of selling all but one of each type just because the morning activity of "go pet animals, collect milk/eggs/etc, process those things" is killing the game for me. At least with crops you can get sprinklers and automate most of it.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Just get pigs, you don't pay any attention to them and they get truffles for you.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pigs and rabbits and ducks are the wise man's animals

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bogart posted:

Pigs and rabbits and ducks are the wise man's animals

And evil chickens! And a couple of goats, because goat cheese is worth a lot and can be aged to be worth even more.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Animals are annoying as gently caress. They're super profitable but I'm still on the verge of selling all but one of each type just because the morning activity of "go pet animals, collect milk/eggs/etc, process those things" is killing the game for me. At least with crops you can get sprinklers and automate most of it.

I'm not a min/maxer so this might totally gently caress up the quality of what you get but my game routine became "tend livestock every other day" which is of course not realistic but still simultaneously necessary if you ever want to play other parts of the game while having lots of animals.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah I just sold off all but one chicken and all but one cow and I'm just stockpiling the eggs and milk I get now and processing it about once a week. Much less annoying. The ducks/rabbits/pigs aren't as bad since they aren't daily.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Got 12 cows. No other animal anymore. Need a inordinate amount of poppers. Plant 400 a season or go home

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Got 12 cows. No other animal anymore. Need a inordinate amount of poppers. Plant 400 a season or go home

Doesn't it take forever to milk 12 cows?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Doesn't it take forever to milk 12 cows?

Do it after they go to sleep. Takes barely anytime in game. I don't pet them or ever let them out of the barn.
Still get highest quality milk

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The quality of my eggs drops dramatically after winter. Should I stop petting my fowl in Spring-Fall?

e: How do I use a dagger? Is there a technique that lets me use the sword and dagger in rapid succession without switching weapons?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 5, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I just downloaded an update, but can't find any information about what was in it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GenericOverusedName posted:

I just downloaded an update, but can't find any information about what was in it.

Is it on PC or a console?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Same, with no news about it. I'm on pc.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Secret villager murder mystery option

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

vermin posted:

Secret villager murder mystery option

Would I then get a blacksmith that doesn't close at 4 pm?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

FWIW I successfully opened, ran a day, and closed one of my save files that had been crashy ever since the 1.2 update. No crash.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Haven't looked in forever, any more word on Multiplayer?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tatsuta Age posted:

Haven't looked in forever, any more word on Multiplayer?

Still sometime this year for PC. Other platforms to follow.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Any mods worth having? Dialogue mods especially. I love the game but the dialogue is repetitive and it makes me sad.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They only mod I consider essential is NPC Map Locations, because who they hell could ever remember all the villager's schedules?

Edit: I'd maybe avoid dialogue mods. The #1 thing to remember about them is that they're written by fans.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Is it a known bug that you can jam (virtually) anything you want into Abigail's face and she'll eat it like it's food? ("Hey, thanks! How did you know I was hungry?") I gave this bitch a piece of jade and she ate it. Then I gave a kid a REAL dinosaur fossil and he got upset with me, even though that dweeb hangs out at the library all day. gently caress that kid, I've never spoken to him again.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is it a known bug that you can jam (virtually) anything you want into Abigail's face and she'll eat it like it's food? ("Hey, thanks! How did you know I was hungry?") I gave this bitch a piece of jade and she ate it.

Abigail just likes to eat rocks my dude

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
:same:

but in seriousness it's a quirk with her 'i like this' response (each character only has one) that CA overlooked until after the game had released. When players found it, it almost immediately became a game meme that abigail literally chomps gems and at that point if you 'fix' it you kind of take something away from the community.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: I'd maybe avoid dialogue mods. The #1 thing to remember about them is that they're written by fans.

First rule of modding is the first amendment of Sturgeon's law: "No wait, disregard that, 99% of everything is crap. Maybe more."

There're the mods that allow you to have all skills when you level up to get them, there's a mod that lets you harvest everything with a scythe, but it might be bugged due to CA fixing the farming experience glitch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can anybody suggest other Steam apps that scratch some of the same itches as Stardew Valley? I'm thinking of the sense of a single player modifying the world, with no combat. Building would be fine, or creating. I know that SV is in some sense a tribute to Harvest Moon, but I don't have access to any of the appropriate consoles. Is there anything that seems to you to have the same calm building/making feeling?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can anybody suggest other Steam apps that scratch some of the same itches as Stardew Valley? I'm thinking of the sense of a single player modifying the world, with no combat. Building would be fine, or creating. I know that SV is in some sense a tribute to Harvest Moon, but I don't have access to any of the appropriate consoles. Is there anything that seems to you to have the same calm building/making feeling?

Cities: Skylines or Slime Rancher (Early Access, not complete but hit the same notes for me)?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I saw a random recommendation for Farm for your Life. Apparently you can turn off the enemies and just chill out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Friend, have you heard about Minecraft?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Factorio. You can disable the enemies in that game and play purely peaceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or just play Terraria and cheat endgame gear onto yourself so you can build whatever you want and not give a poo poo about enemies