Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, I hope a couple of them go on an adventure together on the next cycle. How weird would it be if the THB were less familliar with each other than with everyone else by cycle 100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

While I'd prefer to hear them interact more on this arc, I actually kinda like the idea of them not really being super close and having different social cliques within the IPRE until being brought together by the events of the story thus far :shobon:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like the irony of an Evoker being less destructive than a Transmuter. I'm really glad that Lup, Captainport, and Lucretia are getting fleshed out more, and I'm very content to let the boys hang out with them one on one as much as they like, although I completely understand why people wouldn't like it as much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Poque posted:

as I re-listen I'm confused at the end of Petals. Spoilers for more recent developments:

Was Barry was the red robe who mind-controlled Captain Captain Bane and made him drink his own poison? If so, why? And why would Barry try to get THB to drink it? Even the whole "not the same when he's re-born" thing doesn't feel like it holds up against Barry's manner of re-teaching himself all of his memories.

I'm probably missing something way elementary and it'll make more sense after I re-listen to the most recent Interlude, but for now I'm :confused:

Bane wanted to magical god sash to himself so he was going to poison our sweet boys so Barry saved his buddies by making Bane drink his own poison.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

While this format has its hiccups, I really liked Merle spending his time with the natives and successfully banding a community together in a time of crisis, as well as the gang wrestling with whether or not they do scorched-earth tactics in every world they meet. I think they're finding a rhythm with this scenario.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Today's TAZ was pretty good! I think they have the new game system down, they're going to butt up against the flashback nature of it all kind of neutering opportunities for rising action or dramatic decision-making or whatever but that's a storytelling problem regardless of how many people complain about people posting about mechanics. Magnus's partial success in the mushroom kingdom was a good example of what could have been a way more intense situation if they didn't have to rush on to the next year. I think Clint's been stepping up his storytelling, too, though maybe I'm just more sympathetic to what he's doing after TTAZZ, where revealed some character motivation stuff I hadn't considered.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Hey, so that was definitely Troth in the robot in today's episode, right?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Merle Ascendant is probably my favorite scene from this episode.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

El Padrino posted:

Merle Ascendant is probably my favorite scene from this episode.

I wonder if divinity is powered by believers, because if so and that world survived then Merle might be Pan's Jesus.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jim the Nickel posted:

Hey, so that was definitely Troth in the robot in today's episode, right?

I figured it was The lady in charge of The Beasts of the Ring.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Ariong posted:

I figured it was The lady in charge of The Beasts of the Ring.

I mention it because She mentioned how good she was with a staff, like Troth, and had the same kinda low, breathy voice

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh drat, you might just be right. She is the only one of the three who would live long enough to see this far future.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was kinda down on the ep at first but the ending of that last cycle definitely made up for it. If we can focus more on the fact that this is the perceived end of these worlds then i'll be more on board with future cycles.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lup's motivation at the end loving killed me. Griffin had it all set up to be a poignant moment with him getting choked up and then I HAVE TO GET MY 15 DOLLARS BACK FROM GREG loving GRIMALDIS.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zaggitz posted:

Lup's motivation at the end loving killed me. Griffin had it all set up to be a poignant moment with him getting choked up and then I HAVE TO GET MY 15 DOLLARS BACK FROM GREG loving GRIMALDIS.

That is totally in keeping with the Taaco name. It loving ruled.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, that was completely perfect in every way. And a great "yup, this is Taako's sister all right" moment. Speaking of Lup, we need to see why Barry is "The Lover", and it's going to be really hard for Griffin to fill that in if he has to play both Lup and Barry.

I am chugging Rose Buddies from the beginning, and I am tickled pink by Griffin's outrage that not only does Rachel not know how to improvise vocal harmony, she doesn't know what harmony is. "But you were in band! Didn't you do ANY music theory?" "I just played the notes in front of me."

I was in orchestra, and although I couldn't improvise vocal harmony to save my hair from being set on fire, I definitely know what harmony is, as long as we stick to thirds and fifths and not poo poo like diminished sevenths.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Who What Now posted:

I wonder if divinity is powered by believers, because if so and that world survived then Merle might be Pan's Jesus.

I liked the scene because it provides a great reason on why Merle becomes kind of irreverent and actually more jaded than a lapsed cleric. No matter how much you want to fulfill your duties as cleric and look for the wellbeing of people's souls, knowing that in the end, all Merle can really do is pray for any small comfort for these people doomed to die (cause people will die, even if their plane is saved like it happened here). That has got to shake your belief in a higher power.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of Lup, we need to see why Barry is "The Lover", and it's going to be really hard for Griffin to fill that in if he has to play both Lup and Barry.

I think it was in that TTAZZ where they decided to address the whole Taakitz thing, and they were like oh, yeah, well, it wouldn't fit in the narrative, and Taako's a pretty private person, and also I would HAVE TO PRETEND TO BE loving MY BROTHER. This would be easier than that but still pretty awkward, especially with the other guys all listening...

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Now I want to know where the gently caress this crystal full of robo-souls wound up!

Hey, possibly related, where the hell is Lucas, anyway? There's a fair chance he shows up again, right?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Carboys

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Can someone refresh my memory as to who the eff Troth is?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mikey Purp posted:

Can someone refresh my memory as to who the eff Troth is?

She's from TAZ: (K)Nights, the donor-exclusive spinoff.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ahhh, was that Justin's character?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yes

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the bgm was real on point for that blob boys episode

seriously as soon as Parade started playing i had the biggest dumb grin on my face

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Blob excites me in a way that Busto 2.0 did not.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I can't believe Car Boys is giving us the origin to The Hunger.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

StalkofWheat posted:

I can't believe Car Boys is giving us the origin to The Hunger.

Oh my god

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

There's a scene in the most recent TAZ that really stuck out to me, when these Bloodborne-rear end mushroom dudes have withered away in front of the Light of Creation, compelled to worship it instead of nourishing themselves. (Bloodborne has mushroom guys, right? The Monster Factory episode didn't get that far so I don't really know, tia) There's something about it that's more viscerally impactful than all the other times an NPC has fallen to the thrall of one of the Grand Relics.

Also,

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Blob is all-powerful. I never thought I'd see the day where something actually godtrashed the OVO. :stonk:

TACD posted:

Is there still a MBMBaM 'sampler' link or whatever? I want to introduce a friend but I'd rather give them a 5–10 minute series of clips rather than have them listen to a whole episode.

They've also done a few "Bro's Better, Bro's Best" greatest hits episodes on weeks when one of them isn't available. They're longer than the samplers so you might want to start newbie friends there.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to make a black hole to absorb the blob.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The more i think on it, the more I'm enjoying the lost century. The THB having scenes with the rest of the crew is really good.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They should really just try cold, it worked for Steve McQueen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DoctorWhat posted:

Bane was under the thrall of the sash

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bane wanted to magical god sash to himself so he was going to poison our sweet boys so Barry saved his buddies by making Bane drink his own poison.

gotcha, thanks guys. Barry still didn't have to be such a dingus about it, but I won't put any more thought into it.

I'm really enjoying Stolen Century part 2, considering that this is only the second episode where the PLAYERS are more responsible for narrative, it's really flowing well.

Poque fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 28, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

showbiz_liz posted:

Now I want to know where the gently caress this crystal full of robo-souls wound up!

"Crystal full of robot souls" was basically the entire plot of the Crystal Kingdom arc, so I'd say there's a good chance the two are related.

Also, Clint is finally in his element now that he doesn't necessarily have to be funny or good at D&D. Him speaking to his congregation in what could be their final moments of existence was a highlight of the episode, and I pretty genuinely got a little choked up at how sincere he was about the whole thing.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Yeah I agree that Clint has really been shining in the Lost Century arc. It only took 50-something episodes, but he finally seems to have put his head into Merle's mindspace and is narrating based on what the character would do instead of whatever Clint finds funny or meta-useful to the group.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I agree that Clint has really been shining in the Lost Century arc. It only took 50-something episodes, but he finally seems to have put his head into Merle's mindspace and is narrating based on what the character would do instead of whatever Clint finds funny or meta-useful to the group.

I think it's working well that they're being asked to help create narrative rather than just react to narrative. Clint is a lot more creative than I would've given him credit for in the previous arcs!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poque posted:

I think it's working well that they're being asked to help create narrative rather than just react to narrative. Clint is a lot more creative than I would've given him credit for in the previous arcs!

I'm not shocked, apples don't fall far from the tree, and they've mentioned that Clint has written (ghost-written) for comics before, so he's probably where the boys get some or a lot of the creativity from. Travis definitely gets his cheating habits from his dad, at least.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Hey I collected all the Monster Factory cards for a screensaver, and I figure I would share.

https://imgur.com/a/J551E

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U0blDjQ2Gg

Mario Odyssey looks much better than the initial trailer