Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

The Milkman posted:

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/oleivarrudi/status/849604199314857986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo.... are Amiibos ROMs now? Is that how switch VC will work?!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

:pray: Non-GBA version of Yoshi's Island :pray:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Fungah! posted:

iw ant some deep cuts on there too. joe nd mac, plok, demon's crest, motherfuckin lufia 2, ogre battle

Lufia 2 is more than a deep cut. It's a drat classic

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Target getting ready for mk8 deluxe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you go to any target it makes the 3. 2. 1. Go! jingle whenever the door opens

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anybody here get a switch from the Nintendo store in NYC, and if so how does the line/wristband whatever system work? Seems to be the only place that has it in stock but they don't go on sale until 3 and I have to work like a scrub.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

targets are getting switches restocked this week and i don't think they're purchasable online. so trying calling them

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

oddium posted:

targets are getting switches restocked this week and i don't think they're purchasable online. so trying calling them

thanks... getting nervous about finding one before mothers day...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Anybody here get a switch from the Nintendo store in NYC, and if so how does the line/wristband whatever system work? Seems to be the only place that has it in stock but they don't go on sale until 3 and I have to work like a scrub.

You line up outside before 3PM. I was st the store around 11AM today and there were like 5 or 6 people online? So I don't think you need to get there insanely early or anything to get a console.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

You line up outside before 3PM. I was st the store around 11AM today and there were like 5 or 6 people online? So I don't think you need to get there insanely early or anything to get a console.

cool, gonna get my wife to grab one next time she's in the area

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/the-first-kirby-game-was-programmed-without-a-keyboard/

The tidbit comes from a talk Sakurai gave ahead of a Japanese orchestral performance celebrating the 25th anniversary of the original Game Boy release of Kirby's Dream Land in 1992. As reported by Game Watch (and wonderfully translated by the Patreon-supported Source Gaming), Sakurai recalled how HAL Laboratory was using a Twin Famicom as a development kit at the time. Trying to program on the hardware, which combined a cartridge-based Famicom and the disk-based Famicom Disk System, was “like using a lunchbox to make lunch,” Sakurai said.

As if the limited power wasn't bad enough, Sakurai revealed that the Twin Famicom testbed they were using "didn’t even have keyboard support, meaning values had to be input using a trackball and an on-screen keyboard." Those kinds of visual programming languages may be fashionable now, but having a physical keyboard to type in values or edit instruction would have probably still been welcome back in the early '90s.

Sakurai, who was 20 at the time, says he simply thought this keyboard-free programming environment was "the way it was done," and he coded an entire functional test product using just the trackball. He even says the process led to some improvements managing the game's "data processing load," creating "a game that had a very smooth movement for a Game Boy game."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/the-first-kirby-game-was-programmed-without-a-keyboard/

The tidbit comes from a talk Sakurai gave ahead of a Japanese orchestral performance celebrating the 25th anniversary of the original Game Boy release of Kirby's Dream Land in 1992. As reported by Game Watch (and wonderfully translated by the Patreon-supported Source Gaming), Sakurai recalled how HAL Laboratory was using a Twin Famicom as a development kit at the time. Trying to program on the hardware, which combined a cartridge-based Famicom and the disk-based Famicom Disk System, was “like using a lunchbox to make lunch,” Sakurai said.

As if the limited power wasn't bad enough, Sakurai revealed that the Twin Famicom testbed they were using "didn’t even have keyboard support, meaning values had to be input using a trackball and an on-screen keyboard." Those kinds of visual programming languages may be fashionable now, but having a physical keyboard to type in values or edit instruction would have probably still been welcome back in the early '90s.

Sakurai, who was 20 at the time, says he simply thought this keyboard-free programming environment was "the way it was done," and he coded an entire functional test product using just the trackball. He even says the process led to some improvements managing the game's "data processing load," creating "a game that had a very smooth movement for a Game Boy game."
Holy poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

It's a miracle that he's still alive.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

God drat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Badass.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

elf help book posted:

that is nuts

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/arbys/status/857610296151625728

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Poor Kirby

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

elf help book posted:

if you'd like to know more about the madness that sakurai apparently takes for granted, you will like this article titled "sakurai's surprising storage skills [pt. 1]"

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Sakurai: I’m on my way to an early grave (laughs)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

if you'd like to know more about the madness that sakurai apparently takes for granted, you will like this article titled "sakurai's surprising storage skills [pt. 1]"

ive seen this before and it rules

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

EXCEPT when he gets games he throws away the boxes

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
sakurai is the kind of prodigy who appears once in a generation and he will die making smash for the switch

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I hope they just port Smash 4 with maybe a fun campaign mode and let him rest

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Milkman posted:

same

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxNHhgMuTg&t=4s

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The Milkman posted:

And ice climbers

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The new 2dsxl looks nice

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I would've played so much Smash 4 if it had any decent single player mode

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

camelcamelcamel notified me of new switch inventory on Amazon earlier today and I jumped on it the brief window it was stock. Can't wait to game!!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

Sakurai: I’m on my way to an early grave (laughs)

lol

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

I thought a big point of the switch was that they wouldn't need to make home/portable versions of every franchise anymore. Or is the idea that they're just going to keep contracting artoon to make consolation spinoffs for the 3ds from now on

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
the 3DS is for kids and/or parents who don't want to buy a Switch for their kid, and also real gamers

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

available in japan late july

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremebuff posted:

available in japan late july

Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

The new 2dsxl looks nice

I like it a lot, I would definitely consider replacing my N3DSXL with one of these bad boys