Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Why would people ever watch beyond the initial teaser/1st trailer? Like, in the age of the internet, the ultimate lifespoiling bullshit marketing mechanism, if you ever cared about being surprised by narrative storytelling why would you push the giant red button?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

There's no evidence for it in the movie, but Spartans IRL were some massive pieces of poo poo on just about every level. Defending their home meant defending a massive enslavement project and some really brutal politics even by the standards of the day. They were better than average fighters, but barely good enough to hold what territory they had, let alone expand, and eventually their society fractured because of stupid dick-wavery infighting among the ruling class (iirc).

Basically they got lucky that people needed some martial prowess mascot and didnt look too close at the details. One of the interesting things about 300 is that it instigated a massive resurgence in Spartan history, which has revealed them for the idiots that they were.

It wasn't a matter of the Spartans not being good enough to hold their territory. There just weren't enough of them, and their racial purity rules prevented them from increasing their population. They coasted for a long while on the back of auxiliary armies, but the elite Spartan forces were inevitably in constant decline.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FCKGW posted:

Am I the only one who forgets everything they see in the trailers anyways so I don't care about spoilers?

It's just you and the guy they based Memento on.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

There's no evidence for it in the movie, but Spartans IRL were some massive pieces of poo poo on just about every level. Defending their home meant defending a massive enslavement project and some really brutal politics even by the standards of the day. They were better than average fighters, but barely good enough to hold what territory they had, let alone expand, and eventually their society fractured because of stupid dick-wavery infighting among the ruling class (iirc).

Basically they got lucky that people needed some martial prowess mascot and didnt look too close at the details. One of the interesting things about 300 is that it instigated a massive resurgence in Spartan history, which has revealed them for the idiots that they were.

I would say that the establishing shot and narration: Of an old man holding a baby over a pit filled with children's skulls as the narration explains that the spartans dont accept physical imperfection or sicklyness; Is atleath some evidence of them being considered les then great by the film itself. All the rest of the film does use shot compsition to place them as the difiant righteous underdogs, but is still the biased re-telling of a spartan himself.

I guess the doubt would be: is knowlege of that bias enought to justify filming its subjects as good and grand ? Is it irresponsible of the film maker to not go further with the implications of what the spartans actually are?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Why would people ever watch beyond the initial teaser/1st trailer? Like, in the age of the internet, the ultimate lifespoiling bullshit marketing mechanism, if you ever cared about being surprised by narrative storytelling why would you push the giant red button?

Because I like spoilers?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Be part of the conversation, and if you're like me, the trailers you want to avoid usually get shown in front of other movies anyway.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's just you and the guy they based Memento on.

nice.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FCKGW posted:

Am I the only one who forgets everything they see in the trailers anyways so I don't care about spoilers?

Usually I do too if I only watch the trailer/teaser once.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Watching trailers is lots of fun and a completely different experience from watching a movie, I don't mind stuff being spoiled in them. A movie is more than its plot beats.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Watching trailers is lots of fun and a completely different experience from watching a movie, I don't mind stuff being spoiled in them. A movie is more than its plot beats.

I don't care much about knowing the plot, but I've definitely seen a bunch of cool shots in trailers that I'd rather have experienced for the first time in context. Not that big a deal, though.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, it's everything I didn't want to know before seeing the actual movie.

I feel the same but I'm also more likely to see the movie now after watching it.

You win this time, marketing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bugblatter posted:

This "prologue" is actually created from really spoilery excerpts from the second half of the film, judging by how it matches the leaks from way back. So, be warned if you're trying to avoid that kind of stuff.

Just saw this, would you happen to have a link to these leaks?

Seems weird that they'd call this a prologue if it's actually stuff from the second half of the film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Because I like spoilers?

But if you didn't...?, is what I'm saying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

my personal belief is that if spoiling ruins the movie for you then that movie wasn't good enough to begin with.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

my personal belief is that if spoiling ruins the movie for you then that movie wasn't good enough to begin with.

Agreed. With a good movie it can only make it somewhat worse as a first experience, not totally ruin it. And who cares if their experience is better or worse as long as it's still okay?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Interesting. I do not share that belief, sir.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

I liken it to someone loving up the punchline to a joke. In this case, the rhythm of the punchline is being diluted by the idiots who don't give a poo poo about the joke but only care about being the one credited with telling it to you first by spamming it in every thread they can think of.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For instance, I was spoiled for Pulp Fiction. Didn't matter. Spoiled for Matrix. Didn't matter. Spoiled for Episode I The Phantom Menace. didn't matter, for a different reason.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

For instance, I was spoiled for Pulp Fiction. Didn't matter. Spoiled for Matrix. Didn't matter. Spoiled for Episode I The Phantom Menace. didn't matter, for a different reason.

Beleive it or not spoilers probably make you enjoy the story more

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611417007

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Glazier posted:

Nope.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

I was spoiled for The Sixth Sense. Definitely mattered.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Glazier posted:

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2015-10440-001

and just because it didn't ruin the movie for you (that phrasing makes it kinda sound like it's either completely ruined or totally fine) doesn't mean it didn't lessen the potential enjoyment

it's also probably not a good idea to generalize these studies to mean spoilers = bad or good. The studies indicate something much more specific than that

But anyways, trailers can be cool

whalestory fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 27, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

whalestory posted:

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2015-10440-001

and just because it didn't ruin the movie for you (that phrasing makes it kinda sound like it's either completely ruined or totally fine) doesn't mean it didn't lessen the potential enjoyment

it's also probably not a good idea to generalize these studies to mean spoilers = bad or good. The studies indicate something much more specific than that

quote:

An experiment (N = 368) tested these hypotheses and found that those low on need for cognition held a selective preference for spoiled stories, whereas individuals with a high need for affect enjoyed unspoiled stories more. In addition, fiction reading frequency was positively related to the enjoyment of unspoiled stories.

So, apparently, kiimo, you just have a low need for cognition and aren't particularly literate.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
My belief system prioritizes Ripley over science

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Stupids don't mind spoilers. Could've told you that myself, saved you the time of citing garbage studies.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I had a roommate who would read through the Wikipedia summary of a movie as we were watching it. It used to drive me bonkers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kiimo posted:

My personal belief is that spoilers have different meanings to different people and you're a loving dick if you think your own opinion overrides that.

Glazier posted:

I loving love when people trot out this old chestnut as if it has any scientific merit whatsoever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was spoiled for The Sixth Sense. Definitely mattered.

That movie kind of doesn't stand up in my opinion. Wasn't spoiled, guessed the outcome, M Night is blah.

Hakkesshu posted:

My personal belief is that spoilers have different meanings to different people and you're a loving dick if you think your own opinion overrides that.

George kills Lennie
Finny dies

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't get super bent out of shape about spoilers, but I do enjoy going in not knowing too much. You can watch a movie already knowing the plot as many times as you want, but you only get one chance to be surprised.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I would say that the establishing shot and narration: Of an old man holding a baby over a pit filled with children's skulls as the narration explains that the spartans dont accept physical imperfection or sicklyness; Is atleath some evidence of them being considered les then great by the film itself. All the rest of the film does use shot compsition to place them as the difiant righteous underdogs, but is still the biased re-telling of a spartan himself.

I guess the doubt would be: is knowlege of that bias enought to justify filming its subjects as good and grand ? Is it irresponsible of the film maker to not go further with the implications of what the spartans actually are?

300 is probably the most popular movie of the alt right. Racist doofuses are currently gathering in Berkely dressed up like actors in a Snyder movie as we type.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

300 is probably the most popular movie of the alt right. Racist doofuses are currently gathering in Berkely dressed up like actors in a Snyder movie as we type.

Now I'm imagining Stephen Colbert dressed in that outfit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

That they are stupid is not some great revelation, most of them "took the redpill", i.e. identified with but did not comprehend the liberation song of two trans women.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010
I have always wondered what it would feel like watching "Empire Strikes Back" without knowing the reveal, or even Terminator 2 after watching the first and not having seen any trailers. Just feels like you would get an extra level of enjoyment.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Sheeeit that's rly damning because if there's one group who's logic you can't fault it's gotta be racist doofuses in cosplay

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ommega posted:

I have always wondered what it would feel like watching "Empire Strikes Back" without knowing the reveal, or even Terminator 2 after watching the first and not having seen any trailers. Just feels like you would get an extra level of enjoyment.

The best argument I've heard so far is T2. Walked in that theater unawares. Thinking he somehow survived the press.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It's just a cool first experience to have that's fundamentally changed by spoilers that you'll never get back. I'd rather not lose that, since if it was good enough I'd just rewatch it anyways for the "spoiled" experience (what comes to mind is the prestige)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a friend who reads entire plot summaries on Wikipedia before watching movies. Says that's the only way to know whether she'll like it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Ok enough spoiler talk, let's talk about uh.... Cars 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeOH9AGJQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm not positive it's a reflection on the quality of the movie but the marketing for King Arthur is among the worst ive ever seen. It's nonsensical and confusing. A completely unintelligible and uninspiring mish mash of styles and narratives.

Whoever did the campaign should be rewarded for a textbook example of how not to market a movie

Now maybe the film is just poo poo (likely imo) and they're doing their best with what they were given but my god is it bad

• Locked thread