Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Toadsmash posted:

Man, I can see why exploration-focused modpacks are relatively hard to come by. Making one that runs worth a damned is really hard. So many of the big world gen mods are hell on performance. :(

I removed a good 40 mods out of Survival Stories 3 before I got down to 20fps.
Bibliocraft and all that is nice but only adds lag on a slower computer. Pams can be memory intensive also. Multiple times I have noticed a speed improvement removing it.
Therefore any hunger mods generally get removed.
I have seen a few people mention that Steves factory manager can be slow after using it in a few spots.

On another note.
Im so happy that FTB does auto backups. I wiped out most of my jabba barrels with BCs filler on clear yesterday. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I don't think it's memory issues I've been running into, though I did run into those problems constantly before I upgraded my RAM. I was mainly referring to chunk generation/load hangs, where your FPS appears to be steady but the game won't let you interact with blocks, pick up items, or engage in combat. Those types of hangs don't seem to happen when you stick to explored parts of the world, and have been one of the big issues that have kept me away from Grimdark. Seems to be caused mainly by mods that make drastic changes to worldgen without being very efficient about it. Dungeon Tactics, Streams, and Alternate Terrain Generation seem to be big culprits in 1.10 for me. RTG less so, happily.

Abyssalcraft, RTG, and Biomes O' Plenty combined result in a world that looks radically different from anything you'll see in vanilla and so far don't seem to cause me many issues. Sure wish I could get Streams working passably. It's a pretty unique mod.

I fully suspect there's some lingering compatiblity problem it's been having in the custom pack I've been messing with, though. I just haven't had the patience to do the methodical prune-and-test it'd probably take to find it.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 26, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What's the go to early game power gen method everyone is using? Banks of Survival generators?

I use Solar Flux Reborn solar panels, although really early-game resource generation is provided by MineColonies workers.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Grimdark does come with the mod chunkgen, so if you're so inclined to let it run for a few hours or overnight you can pre-generate a world which should relieve a lot of the stress on running it local singleplayer. It doesn't even have that many mob mods left, Deadly Monsters has issues with not respecting light levels, lycanites has 5+ month old client crashing bugs, mo' creatures doesn't respect it's own configs (or the custom mob manager mod that's supposed to go with it), the only thing really spawning extra mobs is toroquest which may get removed soon in favor of villagebox, and if you catch a bloodmoon more mobs might spawn (I have that way turned down in the config) and even then I think morpheus lets you sleep through the bloodmoon.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I might just try that. I've been trying and mostly failing at building my own modpack to scratch the exploration itch and I don't think I have the patience for the work involved in doing it right, I'm slowly finding. Grimdark is everything I want and then some if I can make it perform decently on my machine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a good 1.10+ pack on Tecnic that has a good range of the current state of the art? I feel like I should peck at it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toadsmash posted:

I might just try that. I've been trying and mostly failing at building my own modpack to scratch the exploration itch and I don't think I have the patience for the work involved in doing it right, I'm slowly finding. Grimdark is everything I want and then some if I can make it perform decently on my machine.

Just take Grimdark and remove every mod that you don't recognize. It is much easier to create a custom pack by subtraction rather than addition.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Futurepack update: I don't know how Buildcraft turtles and such work, but the Futurepack mining drone works like so: you begin by placing down a Drone Station where it will get its power and teleport what it mines back to automatically; this can be in your base, where it can be fed power and have something pulling the items collected into a larger inventory. You then place a Zone Transmitter, which has a UI letting you set the area to be quarried. Finally you shift-right-click the drone against the Drone Station to place it in the world, right click it to tell it which Zone Transmitter to go to, then tell it to begin and it'll teleport over to wherever the transmitter is and get to work, lasering its way along down the Y levels. I'm not actually sure if there's a range limit between drones and the station if both are chunkloaded.

It seems like it was.. confused by lava? But not fazed by it in any meaningful way. And then it teleports back to its station when its job is done, which is nice.

Edit: Okay it does seem to have a maximum range where clicking on the button to start it does nothing despite the zone transmitter being on the list.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 27, 2017

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
What the hell, gliders have durability now? Come on!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What the hell, gliders have durability now? Come on!

:laffo:

what version of minecraft is that

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:laffo:

what version of minecraft is that

It's FTB Beyond. I'm playing on the SockCraft Server.

What the hell FTB team.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It's FTB Beyond. I'm playing on the SockCraft Server.

What the hell FTB team.

It's probably the mod author's fault, not necessarily the pack creator. Making an unbreakable item take damage is a little above what most pack creators can swing with stuff like MineTweaker.

I wouldn't put it past them though. These are the same people who disabled Quark's vertical ladder placing and who think clay is the best way to tweak "balance."

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
OpenGliders gliders have durability yes. They have a lot of durability. God forbid you have to spend another six leather and seven iron after a few hours of flight to remake it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Serifina posted:

OpenGliders gliders have durability yes. They have a lot of durability. God forbid you have to spend another six leather and seven iron after a few hours of flight to remake it.

I regard mechanics like that as just a 'hey, gently caress you, for no good reason' from mod devs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's probably the mod author's fault, not necessarily the pack creator. Making an unbreakable item take damage is a little above what most pack creators can swing with stuff like MineTweaker.

I wouldn't put it past them though. These are the same people who disabled Quark's vertical ladder placing and who think clay is the best way to tweak "balance."

Let's hope they never see Literal Ascension, then. Vertically-placed ladders made from string? Blasphemy!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dareon posted:

Let's hope they never see Literal Ascension, then. Vertically-placed ladders made from string? Blasphemy!

Weeeelll....

that slowpoke guy from ftb posted:

"Deploy ladders downwards": Will remain off, willing to add a separate mod providing this functionality in a slightly more gated way
We're leaving that off due to balance concerns, but we'd be glad to add a mod that puts a slightly higher cost per ladder; similar to what OpenBlock's rope ladder did on 1.7, requiring string: it's a little gate on day one, because you have to go kill some spiders or finding some string in the world, compared to just breaking a few logs for having such an assistance in stuff like exploring ravines and similar deep places with ease. Quark's recipe felt a little bit too easy.

https://www.feed-the-beast.com/news

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What is a good combination of tech and magic mods that cover all bases (logistics pipes, automated farming, new dimensions) as well as are as integrated into each other as possible? I'm playing survivalcraft 3 right now and scanning things with thaumcraft and them not working is kind of frustrating. Maybe it's just something I have to deal with?

Also lol the pack maker did NOT weight his world gen right. I've been thousands of blocks in every direction and no magical biomes, since there's too much new stuff from biomes o plenty

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What is a good combination of tech and magic mods that cover all bases (logistics pipes, automated farming, new dimensions) as well as are as integrated into each other as possible? I'm playing survivalcraft 3 right now and scanning things with thaumcraft and them not working is kind of frustrating. Maybe it's just something I have to deal with?

Also lol the pack maker did NOT weight his world gen right. I've been thousands of blocks in every direction and no magical biomes, since there's too much new stuff from biomes o plenty

A minimum feature set is Applied Energistics 2 (logistics pipes, sort of,) MineFactory Reloaded (autofarming), and RF Tools (dimensions) for 1.7.10. For 1.10.2, you can do AE2 or Refined Storage (AE2, but "easier" and less polished,) Ender IO or Actually Additions (autofarming), and I think RF Tools is in 1.10.2 as well.

Never install Mystcraft, it's the wettest garbage in the smelliest dumpster.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Maybe they're copying the vanilla Elytra? You get like, what, 7 minutes of flight out of it before it breaks?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ambaire posted:

I regard mechanics like that as just a 'hey, gently caress you, for no good reason' from mod devs.

1) OpenGliders is not from the people who made OpenBlocks, where the original glider is from. They are under absolutely no obligation to make it exactly the same.

2) Effectively everything in the base, including the elytra (vanilla's flight mechanic) has durability. Mods should follow this for the most part. And as stated, the durability is very generous. Unbreakable items should generally require either something expensive or some form of effort.

3) Stop acting like everything a mod author does is trying to gently caress over the players.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I buckled and installed the Twitch Client so I could try All The Mods. The first world spawned me in a bunch of jungles and swamps, and while wading through a swamp, all the entities froze for a good 30 seconds before I found out a slime had beaten the poo poo out of me and killed me. I regenerated and got another jungle in a swamp. I tried again and got mostly a jungle in a swamp but a brief portion of plains in a clearing. It crashed. I tried to launch the that save and it crashed again.

How are you all playing this?!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

I swear to god you love making this your dumbass hill to die on.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What IS the problem with the glider having durability?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
with my current lack of intertubes due to moving house and then the isp saying they need to send a different team to install after a survey and permits have been arranged :(
tl;dr; = No internets because of where i live

I have been playing some Survival Stories 3 (1.7.10)

i have also been watching the youtube stuff - Why does no one mention the Thermal Expansion Transport tubes? (Viaducts)

They are like the tubes in futurama - and are completely amazing.

Seriously if they are in your pack use them instead of elevators

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I've also been getting slowdowns in big 1.10.2 modpacks. Flowing water seems to be a major cause of lag. Is there an easy way to disable flowing water in 1.10.2?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Is this a default Ender IO thing, or is this from the pack maker?

code:
    # The chance per level of Beheading that a skull will be dropped when using a TiC weapon
    D:ticBeheadingSkullModifier=0.07500000298023224
Because this is making farming wither skeleton skulls really annoying.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Double Punctuation posted:

Is this a default Ender IO thing, or is this from the pack maker?

code:
    # The chance per level of Beheading that a skull will be dropped when using a TiC weapon
    D:ticBeheadingSkullModifier=0.07500000298023224
Because this is making farming wither skeleton skulls really annoying.

That looks like a tinker's construct thing.

If you need any kind of mob head, use a Looting III enchanted "The Ender" from Ender IO. You'll be swimming in them.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And the typical amount is 10% per level (so 5 modifiers will give a 50%)

Your pack, 10 modifiers will give 0.7% chance

LOL

just change it back to 10%

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That looks like a tinker's construct thing.

If you need any kind of mob head, use a Looting III enchanted "The Ender" from Ender IO. You'll be swimming in them.

Nope, that's in the Ender IO configuration. The Ender is even worse:

code:
    # The base chance that a skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordSkullChance=0.10000000149011612

# The chance per looting level that a skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordSkullLootingModifier=0.07500000298023224

# The base chance that a wither skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordWitherSkullChance=0.05000000074505806

# The chance per looting level that a wither skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordWitherSkullLootingModifie=0.05000000074505806
I can just grow the drat things with bees. In fact, I can grow nether stars with bees. Why does this need a nerf?

Meskhenet posted:

And the typical amount is 10% per level (so 5 modifiers will give a 50%)

Your pack, 10 modifiers will give 0.7% chance

LOL

just change it back to 10%

It's 7.5% per level. It's not that bad, but it's enough that I'd need to set up a mob grinder to get any significant number of them without power-leveling my Beheader, and gently caress doing that.

This is also computer-generated; the extra digits at the end are because of floating-point rounding errors. :wtc:

e: lol the config option is misspelled. I bet they hosed up the nerf.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 28, 2017

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I've also been getting slowdowns in big 1.10.2 modpacks. Flowing water seems to be a major cause of lag. Is there an easy way to disable flowing water in 1.10.2?

I have the same problem, it's been doing my head in. Flying around at hyperspeed mining 9x9 tunnels through the world? No problem. Hit a ravine with some flowing water? 1 fps and eventually a timeout.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
It's probably some mod that messed with flowing water. Sound effects, maybe?

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

lolmer posted:

Quark also has a built-in realistic terrain generator if people want, and everyone should have Quark already installed on Minecraft 1.9+ anyways. ;)

Yeah, but it's not as good, which is a bummer, because stuff it does with the biome dungeons is great. Just not willing to give up my lush RTG vistas and interoperability with Streams. I will keep an eye on it though! I'm sure they'll fix the problems I was having with it (villager buildings cut in half, etc)

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Double Punctuation posted:

Nope, that's in the Ender IO configuration. The Ender is even worse:

code:
    # The base chance that a skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordSkullChance=0.10000000149011612

# The chance per looting level that a skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordSkullLootingModifier=0.07500000298023224

# The base chance that a wither skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordWitherSkullChance=0.05000000074505806

# The chance per looting level that a wither skull will be dropped when using a powered dark steel sword (0 = no chance, 1 = 100% chance)
    D:darkSteelSwordWitherSkullLootingModifie=0.05000000074505806
I can just grow the drat things with bees. In fact, I can grow nether stars with bees. Why does this need a nerf?

It's 7.5% per level. It's not that bad, but it's enough that I'd need to set up a mob grinder to get any significant number of them without power-leveling my Beheader, and gently caress doing that.

This is also computer-generated; the extra digits at the end are because of floating-point rounding errors. :wtc:

e: lol the config option is misspelled. I bet they hosed up the nerf.

If you stick a TiC weapon in an Autonomous Activator it gets the full benefit. The EnderIO limit is for when you put it in a Killer Joe.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

ergot posted:

Yeah, but it's not as good, which is a bummer, because stuff it does with the biome dungeons is great. Just not willing to give up my lush RTG vistas and interoperability with Streams. I will keep an eye on it though! I'm sure they'll fix the problems I was having with it (villager buildings cut in half, etc)

My favorite was the village that spawned halfway up a gargantuan mountainside that must've reached up to 200-something y level with no apparent way to reach it on foot. The place was a fortress that looked like something straight out of a Tolkien story.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

McFrugal posted:

It's probably some mod that messed with flowing water. Sound effects, maybe?

Good call! I disabled sound and the lag went away. I'm not sure what exactly is triggering the problem, though. I turned off the Sound Filters mod, and didn't see any improvement. I wonder if there's a way to only disable the flowing water sound effect. I could live without it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For people looking for worldgen mods, try out the newly released Open Terrain Generator. I'm using it and it's really good. Probably my favorite worldgen mod to date.

Just make sure to use foamfix and betterFPS as with all 1.10.2 things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Hey remember in Agricraft where you could get 10/10/10 seeds easily after grinding up sugarcane or something else that wouldn't spread? Well, the difficulty settings that prevent that still allow you to get 10/10/10 seeds remarkably fast. The parent plants will pass down their stats if you breed the child with them. Yes, incestual gardening is the optimal way to raise stats in agricraft. You can't do this with seed types that have no parents, obviously, so there is a bit more grinding than there would be with the easiest setting.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
So if I am wandering though an area with a claimed chunk, and I fall in a hole, how do I get out? I can't place blocks to climb out, or dig into the side.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

So if I am wandering though an area with a claimed chunk, and I fall in a hole, how do I get out? I can't place blocks to climb out, or dig into the side.

Suicide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Depending on the pack, you might be able to type /spawn, or if you've set a home /home <name>, or /kill, or /suicide, or possibly some other commands.