Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC someone thought it was unlikely for Red Army soldiers to make it from Stalingrad to Berlin, IIRC Katakov's Tank Guards Brigade actually managed to fight the war from Stalingrad to Berlin.

The formation maybe, but how many footsoldiers who were in those units were still fighting during the battle for Berlin instead of being dead, too injured to fight, transferred to rear-area units or promoted to positions where they wouldn't be on the frontline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

It used to be

Is that...is that a model tank? It doesn't look real.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phi230 posted:

True alcoholics are thin as twigs

I can't even play strategy games on easy while drunk, so I'm genuinely impressed by famous generals who won wars while wasted all the time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Drunk Grant was a myth?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

First person view of various hospitals in North Africa and then Europe as that German guy whose diary was posted.

First person view of assorted ladies receiving the blitz across Europe - same diary, DLC sponsored by Brazzers

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Plan Z posted:

I can think of two games that depicted concentration camps, one of them being New Order (where you see healthy, muscular people just doing lever-pulling labor and ends with a stompy robot combat section)

That part started with the player and a bunch of others being processed like cattle to an uncertain fate only to be sent to the side to pull that lever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I always thought it might be really interesting to do a WWII game in a similar method to that of SpecOps: The Line, except from the German perspective where you are a random dude with a rifle in 1938 and then it follows you through the war. You start out annexing Czecheslovakia and invading Poland and France as the easy early levels before being sent to Africa and then the Eastern Front and then over to the Ardennes and finally back into Berlin with a constantly escalating difficulty curve showing just how badly misjudged the chance of winning the war was. Lots of kind of "corner of your eye" warcrimes stuff happening at the start and getting more and more blatant until at the end you're left sitting in a U-Bahnhof with three kids, an old dude and the plucky sidekick character who's been there all along and now won't stop saying "we deserve this" over and over again. Even keep the ending of SpecOps intact, and let you chose how the war ends for you.

Of course the problem here is that someone, somewhere, will totally miss the point and decide that Being A Nazi Is Cool so maybe it's better that this game will never exist.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zoux posted:

I'm honestly not sure, but even if so there must have been other drunk generals getting things done out there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I always thought it might be really interesting to do a WWII game in a similar method to that of SpecOps: The Line, except from the German perspective where you are a random dude with a rifle in 1938 and then it follows you through the war. You start out annexing Czecheslovakia and invading Poland and France as the easy early levels before being sent to Africa and then the Eastern Front and then over to the Ardennes and finally back into Berlin with a constantly escalating difficulty curve showing just how badly misjudged the chance of winning the war was. Lots of kind of "corner of your eye" warcrimes stuff happening at the start and getting more and more blatant until at the end you're left sitting in a U-Bahnhof with three kids, an old dude and the plucky sidekick character who's been there all along and now won't stop saying "we deserve this" over and over again. Even keep the ending of SpecOps intact, and let you chose how the war ends for you.

Of course the problem here is that someone, somewhere, will totally miss the point and decide that Being A Nazi Is Cool so maybe it's better that this game will never exist.

Achievement Unlocked: Clean Wehrmacht

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

Achievement Unlocked: Clean Wehrmacht
You've... you've not played SpecOps have you?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Arquinsiel posted:

Less "someone, somewhere" and more "lots of people, in lots of places," I think. Not a bad idea otherwise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

You've... you've not played SpecOps have you?

No, but I know the point of it. But you know that Wehraboos would try to play it in such a way as to prove the myth.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Found a photo of the CoD WW2 Sherman, it's also garbage. The way they modeled the tank, it would be unable to move at all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phi230 posted:

Is that...is that a model tank? It doesn't look real.

Yes and I'm glad that someone caught it. Though I was just desperately looking for something vaguely similar to that side shot of the Wiesel, the point of comparison actually being a plastic tank much smaller than Wiesel is just a bonus.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StandardVC10 posted:

Less "someone, somewhere" and more "lots of people, in lots of places," I think. Not a bad idea otherwise.
It's the kind of thing that could actually be pretty powerful and interesting if done well, but I'm not sure that "games as art" is well established enough yet to let you get away with making a deliberately unfun WWII shooter that forces the player to confront their own darker impulses.

zoux posted:

No, but I know the point of it. But you know that Wehraboos would try to play it in such a way as to prove the myth.
Ah, right. Maybe for shits and giggles "Clean Wehrmacht" could be the "starting a campaign" cheevo, and the first time you shoot someone you get "got a bit of dirt on you..." :v:

Found a photo of the CoD WW2 Sherman, it's also garbage. The way they modeled the tank, it would be unable to move at all.

I guess in a game about shotmans trivial details like that aren't important :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!

http://i.imgur.com/Hsx12qX.gifv

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They literally spent an hour talking about all the research they did to make things Authentic, so this is all pretty pathetic.

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Look we're diverse! we got a BRITISH SOLDIER, and later in the game there are black American soldiers, a lady, a child and a Jewish person!"

These guys are going to get eaten alive.

IMO, a good WW2 game single player should be thus:

Single Player Prologue Tutorial: Nationalist Chinese against the Japanese in the mid to late thirties.

1st section early 2nd World War, Battle of France Dunkirk through Brit/French soldier eyes. North Africa campaign with ANZAC at Tobruk, end with US soldiers in North Africa during Torch.

2nd part of the game: Invasion of the Soviet Union to the Battle of Moscow as several Red Army soldiers, Italian Campaign as Free French or Polish and Normandy as the Canadians on D-Day.

Final part of the game, The British fighting in Holland or Belgium and the Red Army pushing back the Japanese in Manchuria.

It should end with you, a civilian, in Nagasaki.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fangz posted:

They literally spent an hour talking about all the research they did to make things Authentic, so this is all pretty pathetic.

Wasn't there a guy who somehow managed to be in both Nagasaki and Hiroshima for the bombs, and he lived to tell about it? They should have you play as him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tiger II

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

So quoting myself here because someone elsewhere found a source

"The Burning Sky" a 1940's movie made in Japan. It has plenty of aircraft in it, but it seems that the fighter is actually a Type 97 Nate versus a Type 95, acting as a stand-in.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

This one doesn't seem to be immediately wrong, aside from the transport tracks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fangz posted:

Nah, if you wanted to go for maximum edge...

Tutorial/first couple campaign missions are set in the Philippines, where you fight off the Japanese invasion and are eventually captured. Middle of the game, revisit that same character, where you fight your way out of the prison camp in a reenactment of the Cabanatuan raid, only to be captured again just before you can escape.

Then, the last mission of the game (Maybe a post-credits sequence) is you, as a POW, on the streets of Hiroshima.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wasn't there a guy who somehow managed to be in both Nagasaki and Hiroshima for the bombs, and he lived to tell about it? They should have you play as him.

Supposedly he survived Hiroshima, went back to Nagasaki and was bombed while trying to explain to his boss how an entire city was wiped off the face of the earth with one weapon.

Slightly related, my deceased great-aunt was actually a nurse who was at Hiroshima after the bomb dropped. She never talked about it in detail but she did always tell us that we (as in, everyone in the family) were not allowed to give into despair and cry because she didn't cry when she was nuked, and whatever you are going through isn't nearly as bad as that. She was like the personification of the Japanese saying "it can't be helped", which coincidentally she used to tell us all the time.

I only asked her about the bomb once, and she knew that I was getting into photography so she gave me a book that was entirely photos taken post-bomb. I never asked her about it again, and also I didn't sleep for like a week because holy poo poo a crocodile person (?) is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen :stare:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ainsley McTree posted:

There was probably about 160, but he's the only one who's officially recognized.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

It is, for the most part. Grant certainly has some issues with alcohol, and went on some crazy benders from time to time, but not while anything important was actually happening.

Probably no shortage of drunk officers through history though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Look we're diverse! we got a BRITISH SOLDIER, and later in the game there are black American soldiers, a lady, a child and a Jewish person!"

These guys are going to get eaten alive.

IMO, a good WW2 game single player should be thus:

Single Player Prologue Tutorial: Nationalist Chinese against the Japanese in the mid to late thirties.

1st section early 2nd World War, Battle of France Dunkirk through Brit/French soldier eyes. North Africa campaign with ANZAC at Tobruk, end with US soldiers in North Africa during Torch.

2nd part of the game: Invasion of the Soviet Union to the Battle of Moscow as several Red Army soldiers, Italian Campaign as Free French or Polish and Normandy as the Canadians on D-Day.

Final part of the game, The British fighting in Holland or Belgium and the Red Army pushing back the Japanese in Manchuria.

Fangz posted:

You guys have made a Call of Duty game sound like something I would actually play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Don Gato posted:

Supposedly he survived Hiroshima, went back to Nagasaki and was bombed while trying to explain to his boss how an entire city was wiped off the face of the earth with one weapon.

wikipedia posted:

That morning he was telling his supervisor how one bomb had destroyed the city, to which his supervisor told him that he was crazy, and at that moment the Nagasaki bomb detonated.

That has to be the most dramatic way anyone has ever won an argument.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wdarkk posted:

These days the guy would just say the growing mushroom cloud was fake news.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

wdarkk posted:

It's so perfect that I feel like it kind of has to be bullshit but the guy survived two atomic blasts so let him have it maybe

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the kind of thing that could actually be pretty powerful and interesting if done well, but I'm not sure that "games as art" is well established enough yet to let you get away with making a deliberately unfun WWII shooter that forces the player to confront their own darker impulses.

The market for deliberately unfun art is like three people total. Everyone else will complain how your painting is ugly and a kid could make it and your sound thing is annoying and a kid could make it etc etc

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I've always wanted a vidja game where you play as a German kid drafted to the eastern front at the end of the war then need to fight your way to the western front to surrender.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

It is, for the most part. Grant certainly has some issues with alcohol, and went on some crazy benders from time to time, but not while anything important was actually happening.

Probably no shortage of drunk officers through history though.
drunk officers are fine

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's so perfect that I feel like it kind of has to be bullshit but the guy survived two atomic blasts so let him have it maybe
trying to imagine which would do that scene better, seinfeld or the original clerks

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

First person view of various hospitals in North Africa and then Europe as that German guy whose diary was posted.

dont forget to "destroy" a village and then surrender to the Americans the next day.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAIL posted:

trying to imagine which would do that scene better, seinfeld or the original clerks

I'm imagining an extremely hungover Bohemian guy at White Mountain complaining that he's not supposed to even be here today, as the Catholics start opening fire

edit: just realised I misread your post but i'm sticking with it :colbert:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

drunk officers are fine

Just look at this drunk incompetent who can barely ride a horse:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

This one doesn't seem to be immediately wrong, aside from the transport tracks.

Not broken from mechanical failure, 0/10 for accuracy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nah, if you wanted to go for maximum edge...

Tutorial/first couple campaign missions are set in the Philippines, where you fight off the Japanese invasion and are eventually captured. Middle of the game, revisit that same character, where you fight your way out of the prison camp in a reenactment of the Cabanatuan raid, only to be captured again just before you can escape.

Then, the last mission of the game (Maybe a post-credits sequence) is you, as a POW, on the streets of Hiroshima.

Operation Flashpoint had a really great 'final mission' where it's years after the war and you are touring the battlefields you fought across with some other veterans.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Fangz posted:

Operation Flashpoint had a really great 'final mission' where it's years after the war and you are touring the battlefields you fought across with some other veterans.

I loved flashpoint, arguably the best single player experience ever made. You post made me want to play that mission again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Fangz posted:

This makes me want to try it out for this alone. I was kind of hesitant to do so because I heard of how unrelentingly punishing it could be sometimes (he says, having played both ArmA II and ArmA III). :saddowns: