Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

lol, I watched German news yesterday and they had a short segment on Trump's 100 days in office and went to some rust belt shithole to interview Trump supporters, trying to figure out why people still support him. One lady they found said that he's just learning and to give him more time, said that she will give him at least the whole 4 years to prove himself. Her husband added that he loves Trump because he's finally doing the right thing by dropping that mega bomb on the middle east.

When they cut back to the studio the usually ultra professional and reserved host was looking like this: :chloe:

Lol I love it! Any more foreign news reporting on Trump you could share? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

lol I couldnt tell if the people defending trumps tax plan are greedy rich assholes, Russian bots, or just plain morons, and then I realized that its obviously all three.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quidam Viator posted:

Sorry for all the words, LOL thread, but there was a request, so don't read, and I'll get out of the drive-thru eventually.

I taught middle school in North loving Florida, and I think I can model what's going on here, and why these confederate pieces of poo poo and Trump just love each other so much.

You literally can't imagine Trump without the ridiculous, insecurity-based grandiose projection, the "Trump Narrative". This whole thing with slapping his name on everything, ripping off contractors, claiming to be the biggest winner at everything, all that is just the outward behavior, the protective cover. We have to know that TRUMP BELIEVES HIS NARRATIVE. He believes that doing all this poo poo actually makes him a winner, he is NOT actually aware on some deep level that all this is ridiculous, and the more you PUSH to try to make him ridiculous, the more he keeps doing his thing, because he is sure that's his real persona.

What's really underneath it, what the whole "Trump Narrative" is meant to shield him internally from is that he is a loving worthless, stupid loser, who came from a family of evil fucks, who frequently lost, whom nobody respects, and who is actually spinning this loving Trump Narrative SO loving HARD because if that cover story shatters for him, he has to face the fact that he has not climbed up to be anything. The elite social scene he tries so much to impress has no loving room for him, and world leaders do the international politics version of laughing directly in his face.

The Trump Narrative is just what a loving insecure, born loser spins to cover up the fact that everything his life is founded on is a tawdry, worthless lie.

Just sub in White, Baptist Southerners for Trump, and the Confederate Romance for the Trump Narrative, and it should be clear. Their racism is now not a surface thing, but a tenet of faith, like every time Trump tells himself and others "I am a great businessman". The South is full of a bunch of losers, descended from losers, who lost to the elite northerners they hated, because their ancestors chose black slavery as their hill to die on, lost, and now they can NEVER admit their narrative is just a cover or they'd have to admit how loving poo poo they are.

Like, yes, these people are racist, but most of that is happening behind fearful closed doors and gated communities. They're not out burning crosses. What they really are is rightfully insecure, and clinging with a death grip to the general narrative that they are the actual good people. When they see the confederate flag up and flying, inside they don't think racism, they think, "That's right, I have PRIDE in being a Southern White Person, and the fact that everyone hates me for it just proves that I am actually the better person!" Sound like a Trump tweet?

When they see the Confederate memorials being taken down, what's happening is someone is stealing their loving figleaf, and now everyone can see their tiny, diseased genitalia, which they bragged about as "the world's biggest and greatest dick in all history".

The racism is deep. On the surface, they are absolutely primed, like Trump, to follow any and all media crazes that confirm their narrative.

Like... did these White Southerners actually hate Obama racially? Of course. But did that mean that in the poo poo-rear end North Florida town I taught in that on the day after Obama was first elected, that they put on Klan robes and went out in the street, shouting "Kill the friend of the family!"? This isn't the loving 1950s. No, that town had two businesses, a barbecue joint, and the largest gun store in the region, and the day after Obama was elected, the gun store had a "BUY YOUR GUNS BEFORE OBAMA TAKES THEM AWAY" sale with that message frantically plastered outside the door.

The whole town was essentially closed, clogged with trucks and tractors, and they cleared off the shelves of that store. Deep in their minds, there's a confederate flag attached to every one of those guns, to every bullet. And it is a magical talisman in their mind to protect themselves from the truth: They are terrible people, losers, worthless, hateful fucks, who would rather cling to the idea that they were victimized and robbed rather than ever admit that the poo poo they do is evil, or god forbid that their ideas are actually all wrong. THEY CAN NEVER ADMIT THAT.

TL;DR - The racism is there, but it's not the major motivator of the Confederate Romance any more. The purpose of the Confederate poo poo is to promote in-group unity, and to give these lovely, worthless people a cover story to repeat to each other and themselves that they are actually not lovely, lovely losers. It's the metaphorical equivalent of a tall, golden tower with your name on it for a bunch of losers who live in double-wides.

etc, etc, and furthermore, I propose that all Trump voters be destroyed...

good post there, lol at the south

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Quidam Viator posted:

Sorry for all the words, LOL thread, but there was a request, so don't read, and I'll get out of the drive-thru eventually.

I taught middle school in North loving Florida, and I think I can model what's going on here, and why these confederate pieces of poo poo and Trump just love each other so much.

You literally can't imagine Trump without the ridiculous, insecurity-based grandiose projection, the "Trump Narrative". This whole thing with slapping his name on everything, ripping off contractors, claiming to be the biggest winner at everything, all that is just the outward behavior, the protective cover. We have to know that TRUMP BELIEVES HIS NARRATIVE. He believes that doing all this poo poo actually makes him a winner, he is NOT actually aware on some deep level that all this is ridiculous, and the more you PUSH to try to make him ridiculous, the more he keeps doing his thing, because he is sure that's his real persona.

What's really underneath it, what the whole "Trump Narrative" is meant to shield him internally from is that he is a loving worthless, stupid loser, who came from a family of evil fucks, who frequently lost, whom nobody respects, and who is actually spinning this loving Trump Narrative SO loving HARD because if that cover story shatters for him, he has to face the fact that he has not climbed up to be anything. The elite social scene he tries so much to impress has no loving room for him, and world leaders do the international politics version of laughing directly in his face.

The Trump Narrative is just what a loving insecure, born loser spins to cover up the fact that everything his life is founded on is a tawdry, worthless lie.

Just sub in White, Baptist Southerners for Trump, and the Confederate Romance for the Trump Narrative, and it should be clear. Their racism is now not a surface thing, but a tenet of faith, like every time Trump tells himself and others "I am a great businessman". The South is full of a bunch of losers, descended from losers, who lost to the elite northerners they hated, because their ancestors chose black slavery as their hill to die on, lost, and now they can NEVER admit their narrative is just a cover or they'd have to admit how loving poo poo they are.

Like, yes, these people are racist, but most of that is happening behind fearful closed doors and gated communities. They're not out burning crosses. What they really are is rightfully insecure, and clinging with a death grip to the general narrative that they are the actual good people. When they see the confederate flag up and flying, inside they don't think racism, they think, "That's right, I have PRIDE in being a Southern White Person, and the fact that everyone hates me for it just proves that I am actually the better person!" Sound like a Trump tweet?

When they see the Confederate memorials being taken down, what's happening is someone is stealing their loving figleaf, and now everyone can see their tiny, diseased genitalia, which they bragged about as "the world's biggest and greatest dick in all history".

The racism is deep. On the surface, they are absolutely primed, like Trump, to follow any and all media crazes that confirm their narrative.

Like... did these White Southerners actually hate Obama racially? Of course. But did that mean that in the poo poo-rear end North Florida town I taught in that on the day after Obama was first elected, that they put on Klan robes and went out in the street, shouting "Kill the friend of the family!"? This isn't the loving 1950s. No, that town had two businesses, a barbecue joint, and the largest gun store in the region, and the day after Obama was elected, the gun store had a "BUY YOUR GUNS BEFORE OBAMA TAKES THEM AWAY" sale with that message frantically plastered outside the door.

The whole town was essentially closed, clogged with trucks and tractors, and they cleared off the shelves of that store. Deep in their minds, there's a confederate flag attached to every one of those guns, to every bullet. And it is a magical talisman in their mind to protect themselves from the truth: They are terrible people, losers, worthless, hateful fucks, who would rather cling to the idea that they were victimized and robbed rather than ever admit that the poo poo they do is evil, or god forbid that their ideas are actually all wrong. THEY CAN NEVER ADMIT THAT.

TL;DR - The racism is there, but it's not the major motivator of the Confederate Romance any more. The purpose of the Confederate poo poo is to promote in-group unity, and to give these lovely, worthless people a cover story to repeat to each other and themselves that they are actually not lovely, lovely losers. It's the metaphorical equivalent of a tall, golden tower with your name on it for a bunch of losers who live in double-wides.

nice northern meltdown

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

Quidam Viator posted:

*john oliver voice*
cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so trumps plan to cut tax involves slashing pensions? :lol:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wow... this isnt at all what i figured trump supporters to be like... am i missing something? That bus was like the dream college catalog cover photo of ethnicities minus the lighting

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I still cant get over that tweet. There are people less than 40 years old that like trump? Mind blown. What kind of 20year old woman supports trump? How can a child of an immigrant supprt trmp? I mean i hated my immigrant parents as much as any angsty teen but i never considered getting them deprted

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Madcosby posted:

Wow... this isnt at all what i figured trump supporters to be like... am i missing something? That bus was like the dream college catalog cover photo of ethnicities minus the lighting

People voting against their interests isn't a phenomenon limited to white folks living in the rural midwest.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 27, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Madcosby posted:

I still cant get over that tweet. There are people less than 40 years old that like trump? Mind blown. What kind of 20year old woman supports trump? How can a child of an immigrant supprt trmp? I mean i hated my immigrant parents as much as any angsty teen but i never considered getting them deprted

I think if you look you will find that retardation knows no age limits.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Madcosby posted:

He got 30% of the latino vote

As minorities and immigrant populations become better integrated into society, an increasing number of them are going to become 'conservative' / identify primarily as American rather than as a racial subcategory

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Madcosby posted:

It's because people are dumb.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Madcosby posted:

oooooooh poo poo! Wasn't there some republican cock knocker who advocated that legal born citizens of illegal immigrants should do their lawful duty and report their parents???? I gotta google that but I'm preeeety sure it was a true thing that happened.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

timp posted:

Growing up in South Carolina in the 90's (and actually being lucky enough to be in one of the few decent school districts) the way that the Civil War was presented was that it was an unfortunate North vs. South war. It was obvious that the South was wrong because the North was fighting to abolish slavery and the South was against that, but we were made to believe that there were a lot of regular, normal, non-racist folks caught up in the battle who had no choice but to fight for the Confederacy because they lived in the South, didn't matter if they believed in the cause or not. So if your family had been in the South for many years, you could conceivably convince yourself that your ancestors were some of The Good Ones who weren't actually racist, so propping up the Confederate flag is just a way to honor their life and death in an unjust war.

Hell, I remember hearing that Robert E. Lee was vehemently against the Confederate's cause, had family in the Northern states, etc, but for some reason that I don't remember, he had no choice but to be a general in the Confederate army. At the time I remember thinking, 'drat, that's sad'. But now that I'm older and wiser I say gently caress Robert E. Lee in his old necrotic rear end in a top hat if that's even remotely true.

Yeah that's pretty much how I was taught as well. Also I learned in multiple classes, from different teachers that 'the cotton gin ended slavery.'

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Imagine how much better this country would be if white people weren't allowed in congress.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Madcosby posted:

How can a child of an immigrant supprt trmp? I mean i hated my immigrant parents as much as any angsty teen but i never considered getting them deprted

The loliest thing is that Trump's grandfather, who started the family business, was an immigrant.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Imagine how much better this country would be if white people weren't allowed in congress.

fixed

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Madcosby posted:

you ever see a church group? same sort of deal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Madcosby posted:

63 million people voted for him

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stupidity is colorblind.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Madcosby posted:

diversity is for everyone including morons

also people in their 20s are barely adults

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

He got 30% of the latino vote

As minorities and immigrant populations become better integrated into society, an increasing number of them are going to become 'conservative' / identify primarily as American rather than as a racial subcategory

We have an Iraqi dude at work. Real salt of the earth, but big Trump supporter.

It makes sense though. You emigrate to get away from people.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madcosby posted:

you know how in starship troopers the fascists came in all ages and races while universally being soulless monsters

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

you know how in starship troopers the fascists came in all ages and races while universally being soulless monsters

yeah but co-ed bathrooms

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Canadian PM Trudeau is taking credit for talking Trump out of cancelling NAFTA

lol

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Cucked by a Hoser

e: Again

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Madcosby posted:

My sister is a 27 year old college degree holding yoga teacher, still unmarried and believes that some of her age group are crowded out of the job market by undocumented workers. If you hang around the right kind of men you can become tainted by fear of the other.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

The loliest thing is that Trump's grandfather, who started the family business, was an immigrant.

What's even lolier than that is that Trump's father was allegedly (as in written up in multiple local papers at the time but not corroborated by Trump) arrested during a brawl at a Ku Klux Klan rally while wearing the whole Klan get-up with the robe and the hood and all that.

This is no lie, no BS, just pure lol.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just.. just... UGH! How can someone vote for him? No one likes him. Everyone who doesn't view my political opinion is stupid! *fart*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Lol I love it! Any more foreign news reporting on Trump you could share? :allears:

"Die Zeit" is one of the biggest and most reputable weekly papers in the country

"Der Spiegel" is also one of the biggest weekly journals in the Germany, also pretty reputable

"Madness - America's Hatemonger Donald Trump"

"The End of the World (as we know it)"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

"Die Zeit" is one of the biggest and most reputable weekly papers in the country

"The End of the World (as we know it)"

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/president-trumps-first-100-days/view-abroad-trump-s-100-days-n751931

"He is creating too much tensions, and I would say let's back off a little bit," cautioned Haeji Joh, a 26-year-old graduate student in South Korea, adding that the brinksmanship Trump is engaged in with North Korea is frightening.

Most military analysts expect North Korea would respond to a U.S. attack on Pyongyang by launching a massive artillery and missile strike on Seoul.

Five thousand miles away, a café owner named Suleman in the occupied West Bank was concerned by what he considered Trump's disregard for international diplomacy.

"Trump's presidency is on a path similar to his ownership of businesses. I feel like he's just gonna basically bankrupt the country," he said.

whole article is lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Germany getting to make fun of a terrible racist dictator without any sense irony is a fat international lol

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

Over There posted:

I just.. just... UGH! How can someone vote for him? No one likes him. Everyone who doesn't view my political opinion is stupid! *fart*

So uh, irony is a fickle thing and I have no idea what you are either parodying or supporting or lambasting or just being weird on the internet? *faaaart*

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.
I mean who cares about immigrants and what America stands for when the president keeps threatening to take judges to court.

"You fish are all jerks, I'm going to take you to the river and drown you for being insolent!"

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Germany getting to make fun of a terrible racist dictator without any sense irony is a fat international lol

Depending on how France's election goes, we might be on track for Germany vs the rest of the world: the other way around this time

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Malinois posted:

What's even lolier than that is that Trump's father was allegedly (as in written up in multiple local papers at the time but not corroborated by Trump) arrested during a brawl at a Ku Klux Klan rally while wearing the whole Klan get-up with the robe and the hood and all that.

This is no lie, no BS, just pure lol.

So how is it that the son of a KKK member became President? Can anyone go and see these articles or are they difficult to find? I remember hearing about it months ago. Is there some reason nobody in the government or the media thought that was interesting or important enough to mention?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
you can either waste your time wondering why furries would want to be nazis, or you can just lol

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Macrowave Oven posted:

I mean who cares about immigrants and what America stands for when the president keeps threatening to take judges to court.

"You fish are all jerks, I'm going to take you to the river and drown you for being insolent!"

Pictured: Trump administration punishing the seas for causing global warming.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Cobweb Heart posted:

So how is it that the son of a KKK member became President? Can anyone go and see these articles or are they difficult to find? I remember hearing about it months ago. Is there some reason nobody in the government or the media thought that was interesting or important enough to mention?

Because he wasn't a part of the klan lol.

There was a Memorial Day parade and the Klan showed up so the police tried removing them which causes riots. Never said he was a part of the Klansmen that showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Cobweb Heart posted:

I mean, if anything, it probably only helped him get elected.