Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Remember the time Mishima tried to get you to go phantom thieves over an idol dating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Reading that, yeah, that makes it sound open to the possibility that she's not strictly 20 but could be a little over it.

She'd actually be 21 by that interview, if P5 does place in 2016. She's 15 at the beginning of P4, but 16 by the time she joins the party since her birthday is at the beginning of June. Because all the Persona games have loved giving you all sorts of information on their characters.

This is actually relevant in Golden as it makes her old enough to get her scooter license while Kanji is still stuck riding his bike.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
we could have gotten at least three spinoffs by now if persona 5 had released in winter 2014 :qq:

i want my ultimax or some poo poo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

UberJew posted:

america's teen heroes got hosed up real bad thus trump

The alternate universe where the Phantom Thieves fail to stop Shido is our universe.

Shido just nixed the glasses for a toupee.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
did i hear someone talk about delicious pancakers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kurtofan posted:

did i hear someone talk about delicious pancakers

Please leave.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I meant pancakes, not pancakers that's not even a word

sorry, just got a pancake craving right now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Please leave.
I much preferred the approach of being Akechi's only friend because it made the joy of eventually stabbing him in the back all the sweeter.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Motto posted:

Remember the time Mishima tried to get you to go phantom thieves over an idol dating

Yeah.

He's basically what I imagine Adachi was like as a teenager.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Did Akechi come across as that goddamn oily in the JP version too, because I'd like for that to be a canon character trait. It explains perfectly why he doesn't have any real friends, you can feel him trying so hard to please that it's repellent.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Motto posted:

mishima is a precious boy corrupted by society

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mishima's a goddamn tool.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

I much preferred the approach of being Akechi's only friend because it made the joy of eventually stabbing him in the back all the sweeter.

I really enjoyed being nice to Akechi and playing out the whole 'You know, I know you know, you I know you know, etc' game whilst being unfailing polite and gentlemanly in my conduct. Also I think the dialogue for his boss fight works better if you have been treating him with respect and the offer to wipe the slate clean and team up for real feels genuine.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

multijoe posted:

I really enjoyed being nice to Akechi and playing out the whole 'You know, I know you know, you I know you know, etc' game whilst being unfailing polite and gentlemanly in my conduct. Also I think the dialogue for his boss fight works better if you have been treating him with respect and the offer to wipe the slate clean and team up for real feels genuine.

Please leave.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was nice to Akechi occasionally and rude to Akechi occasionally.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Callback talk: I seem to recall the Shadow Operatives, when shown in silhouette, include Eikichi.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mishima's a goddamn tool.
I'd managed to forget about it until now, but in retrospect I'm pretty sure that "I've set us up on a double date with two girls from the Phan-Site" was the point at which I started seriously considering dumping his body in Tokyo bay. Really, who would miss him?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the goonette arcana is the best there is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember the time you're just hanging out in a public diner and Mishima just puts a handgun on the table

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember the time you're just hanging out in a public diner and Mishima just puts a handgun on the table

The hosed up part is that when his bullies walk by they don't even ask about it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Mishima is a good boy who gives you his energy so you can spiritbombgun god

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OneDeadman posted:

The hosed up part is that when his bullies walk by they don't even ask about it.

They were familiar with Mishima and would you be surprised if he brought a gun to a diner? Would you really?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Mishima is a good boy who gives you his energy so you can spiritbombgun god

I didn't complete his confidant so he barely did anything at all!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
mishima trying to get you out of juvie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaC48KClhVA

"i peed myself a little but the phantom thieves were there for me"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Mishima is great.

He's such a turd that even when he gets better he goes "You guys stole my heart, right? I can tell." But no, you never did, it was him all along. Few SLinks grow like he does.

Also his is the only non-romantic link with a scene that ends in physical contact (you both shake hands).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

GimmickMan posted:

Mishima is great.

He's such a turd that even when he gets better he goes "You guys stole my heart, right? I can tell." But no, you never did, it was him all along. Few SLinks grow like he does.

Also his is the only non-romantic link with a scene that ends in physical contact (you both shake hands).

They should have included the scene where you go to wash your hand after

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
remember when you two go out to the park at night and he just starts ranting about an idol and yelling about how HE's responsible for the Phantom Thieves, these are all HIS victories, HE's the reason for ALL of this and you just sit there staring at him until you both decide to leave

I would take Akechi on a million nice IHOP dates before I spent a second with Mishima

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

OneDeadman posted:

Would they actually take Mishima seriously enough to believe he could get a real gun? :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moltrey posted:

remember when you two go out to the park at night and he just starts ranting about an idol and yelling about how HE's responsible for the Phantom Thieves, these are all HIS victories, HE's the reason for ALL of this and you just sit there staring at him until you both decide to leave

I know there's a veiled threat that the Phantom Thieves might come for him during that scene or the one right after it, but it would've been even better if you just had the option to say "What's your full name, again?"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

BaDandy posted:

Would they actually take Mishima seriously enough to believe he could get a real gun? :colbert:

He did just get back from a trip to America where we give all visitors at least one handgun.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

NRVNQSR posted:

I'd managed to forget about it until now, but in retrospect I'm pretty sure that "I've set us up on a double date with two girls from the Phan-Site" was the point at which I started seriously considering dumping his body in Tokyo bay. Really, who would miss him?

Your backup party members would. All that EXP...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I absolutely love how when Ryuji asks how rooming with Mishima is, you can say "He will not shut up". that and you can take every opportunity to say that you have no idea what he's talking about when he says anything regarding how you guys are the phantom thieves

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I would take Akechi on a million nice IHOP dates before I spent a second with Mishima

Mishima deluding himself into thinking he's an important member of the Phantom Thieves as a way to deal with his non-existant self-esteem is like his only interesting trait though.

Otherwise he's a pathetic nerd who comes off as incredibly creepy and is just like a bad person.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

Mishima is great.

I'd say the winner for social link growth has to be Kawakami. She starts out wishing her problematic student would just stop coming to school and ends up giving a heartfelt speech to the other teachers about how they should be a character reference at his trial.

I guess Mishima starts out as a danger to himself and others and ends up with a buddha-like acceptance that he's kind of useless, so there's that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bogart posted:

Callback talk: I seem to recall the Shadow Operatives, when shown in silhouette, include Eikichi.

Here' the pic from P4A:

There's 11 people in the photo and 9 officially known members of Shadow Ops, 10 if you count Fuuka, but one of those official members is Koromaru, who definitely isn't one of those silhouettes.

At best there's two people in the photo unaccounted for, and I agree the guy (?) with the cowlick next to Mitsuru could totally be Eikichi or even Nate (who was a constant presence in P1 and 2 and whose family's company is connected to Mitsuru's).

I think they probably left this door open on purpose. Would be pretty cool to get some Persona 2 characters in P5A.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, like I get the arc, but that whole rant was the most red flag conversation I've ever seen and Joker just sits there looking at him and then the scene ends

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All joking aside Mishima is clearly someone who's spent so much time sans social life that he has almost no idea how to healthily interact with others anymore, and when he gets a chance to finally exert influence over others he starts power-tripping over it.

Since the air gets let out of his balloon a little he can hopefully pass for a moderately well-adjusted kid in dumbfuck sneakers before he goes to university.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I really liked how they moved getting the world arcana out of the final boss fight and into the scene where the confidants help you at the end, it felt nicely earned & more tarot appropriate as well

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In hindsight, Mishima's Vote For Who You Want The Next Target to be is insanely stupid and like, almost asking to incite violence. Like probable rumors about Okumura only start to leak, and people start breaking his place of business. Like gently caress yeah, eat the rich, I'm game, but then Goro starts climbing high in the rankings and for all anyone knows, he's just been speaking out against the Phantom Thieves. Goro is a way more public figure than Okumura, and with how rabid the love for the Phantoms get, that's just unsafe my man. Like yeah Goro deserves to get his rear end kicked, but not for saying "Maybe we shouldn't trust the mysterious criminals we know nothing about and are powerless to stop"

I understand it plays into the single mindedness of the general public so I get why it's there, but jesus Mishima, way to just make people targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

In hindsight, Mishima's Vote For Who You Want The Next Target to be is insanely stupid and like, almost asking to incite violence.

The meme where people say "I think there's a Black Mirror episode about this", except there is literally a Black Mirror episode about this

• Locked thread