Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
camilla hard-carried me thru this game, she's the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tae posted:

Voting will end in an hour. I'm going to take the votes as a sign to take Nyx onto the bench immediately because she almost literally has double of the next character.

But I believe that you are—emotionally— quite fragile.

I don't know why, but I find the fact that Beruka considers strangling someone a practical use of a necklace hilarious.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Inferno-sama posted:

Put me in the "Don't take my exp" group. I like her, but the others need the exp.

The developers actually gave her a bit of a bonus in this regard and made it so she gains EXP faster than a normal unit would at her level. I guess so that people wouldn't see how much EXP she was gaining relative to other units and bench her immediately.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nyx and Silas are off. Nyx gained a level and was instrumental in chapter 10, but no one used you so bye forever

You're so strong, and you're all curvy! But I'm just a little string bean...

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Stephen9001 posted:

I don't know why, but I find the fact that Beruka considers strangling someone a practical use of a necklace hilarious.

She's very dedicated to her job.

That said, I actually enjoy that support. Actually builds character away from their usual one note personalities.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, Severa was never incredibly one-note, here or in Awakening, she just puts on a heavy front, and I'd consider Beruka one of the best characters in this game in this regard. Kind of the Nohrian counterpart to Oboro in adding at least some depth to the character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Characters only appear one-note because they're spread thin across 20 different conversations that all assume that's your only support. The quality of them are pretty similar to previous FE games if you reduce it down to their 5 best each. Imagine if Haar was in a game that required every single conversation with everyone, he would be sleeping in half of them.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hopefully Nyx will be used in upcoming missions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Characters only appear one-note because they're spread thin across 20 different conversations that all assume that's your only support. The quality of them are pretty similar to previous FE games if you reduce it down to their 5 best each. Imagine if Haar was in a game that required every single conversation with everyone, he would be sleeping in half of them.

I kinda don't hate the idea of that since, from the games he was in, it'd probably just go 'Where's Haar? Oh, he's over there in [NONDESCRIPT LOCATION] trying to take a nap' And then they'd wake him up, he'd question why, they'd have a conversation and he'd go back to sleep. Same with Mia always being found training somewhere. Feels less like a gimmick and more like it's just they're thing. Or something. I dunno. I'm desperately trying to make excuses for why the older supports were better just cuz I'm not too hot on characters here.

Anyway, Beruka is generally excellent and I found myself having issues with Niles not gaining any strength more than anything.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

dude789 posted:

The developers actually gave her a bit of a bonus in this regard and made it so she gains EXP faster than a normal unit would at her level. I guess so that people wouldn't see how much EXP she was gaining relative to other units and bench her immediately.

I can give a valid explanation for this, which also explains why she doesn't completely overwhelm everything on both sides: Camilla promoted at level 10 or 15 or something, so she isn't THAT much higher level than your other units. (I've been thinking this is why her stats are only slightly higher than Beruka's, but didn't post it until it was confirmed.)

Tae posted:

You're so strong, and you're all curvy! But I'm just a little string bean...

Well, this is actually a pretty good support. Despite how much I dislike Camilla from what I've seen (which, admittedly, does not include her supports). I mean, I still feel she's creepy, overly sexualized, and too murderous for my tastes (basically: a typical yandere), but this at least shows that there's something UNDER that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

I can give a valid explanation for this, which also explains why she doesn't completely overwhelm everything on both sides: Camilla promoted at level 10 or 15 or something, so she isn't THAT much higher level than your other units. (I've been thinking this is why her stats are only slightly higher than Beruka's, but didn't post it until it was confirmed.)

Well, this is actually a pretty good support. Despite how much I dislike Camilla from what I've seen (which, admittedly, does not include her supports). I mean, I still feel she's creepy, overly sexualized, and too murderous for my tastes (basically: a typical yandere), but this at least shows that there's something UNDER that.

Overall Camila's supports do a good job of building her up as a character and explain why she is messed up.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Hunt11 posted:

Overall Camila's supports do a good job of building her up as a character and explain why she is messed up.

Basically this, and it's the main reason I like her as a character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Silas and Nyx are out for the mission, possibly forever in the latter case cause wow her votes.

The general route to doing this mission is to go from the left. While Rinkah's room is by far the easiest, it's also in range of the Hex Rod from Azama and you have to travel an entire room to reach him. This way minimizes the Hex Rod to maybe one use instead of three.

Niles will take the main job of taking out the Archers in this room. Thankfully, the bosses don't move, so I'm just dealing with the grunts.

Arthur hits an Awakening-esque level, which is good because I want off Arthur's wild ride of will-he-die as soon as possible.

What is going on. Elise also gained an almost-perfect level as well.

Very annoying. She has Riposte, Certain Blow, and a Steel Bow that is 1-2 range. It's best to actually just let her attack and counter-hit her.

I lost. Oh, well. Guess I'll retreat for now...

Corrine vs. Setsuna

You're Lady Corrine, yes? I'm Setsuna... I'm Lady Hinoka's retainer... Nice to meet you.
Polite even to the enemy... I'd expect nothing less from Hinoka's guardian.
Oh, are you the enemy? Even though you're her sister? Huh.
Um... yes. I mean, it's complicated. Did you really not know that?
Hm? No... Maybe? It doesn't really matter... Guess it's time for you to die now.

Heartseaker and Vantage. Goddamn Kaze, why.

The best strategy to counter the Lunge chain of death is to just kill the initial Lunger. Thankfully, Effie is finally dusted off support and is back to being the frontline tank buster.

Unfortunately, she got the bad luck of levels as she only gained +1 STR/LCK.

Getting the peons out of the way before trying to deal with Mr. vantage here.

But enough pleasantries... to battle!

Perhaps the royal family was wrong about Nohrians...

SO annoying to deal with.

Corrine vs. Kaze

So we meet again, Lady Corrine. After our last encounter, I did not think we would battle again. But as an enemy of Hoshido, it is my duty to take you down. I respect you too much to hold back. I shall do all I can to vanquish you.
I understand, and I shall do the same. Let's do this!

Niles loots a Spirit Dust, which will probably go to Odin because Camilla has enough magic power thanks to her speed.

The next room is possible the most dangerous because the Samurais double basically everyone, Life And Death gets through Effie's defenses, and they're all paired-up so you have to kill them quick or you waste an attack just to break up the guard.

The one on the right has a Kodachi in case you thought you would only face two of them.

I'm glad I'm hitting these iffy low 80% again after that disappointing attempt on Oboro last chapter.

Okay, much better.

:psyduck: Is my file going to delete itself in the future?

Odin restores order by...forgetting he's not a Dark Knight.

Won the strength coin-flip. That's the main thing to watch out for.

Many turns later, I assemble the assault on Azama's room. As you can see, he's a super goddamn beef of HP with skills specifically to annoy you if you hit him from melee.

The actual strategy is to just wipe out the spellcasters around him so his Hexing Rod doesn't combo-kill anyone.

Thanks Arthur for eating the charge.

Why must you resort to violence? I really do despise savages...

Corrine vs. Azama

Lady Corrine, I presume? Lady Hinoka speaks of you often.
Sh-she does?
She does. She said you are her "sweet little sister".
But I'm confused... Given her praises, I never expected to see you attacking a defenseless monk. You must have given in to the savagery so abundant in the Kingdom of Nohr. But if fate would have you cut me down, so be it. Do as you will, I am not afraid.

I knew it, I KNEW IT

You have much strength... I am loath to do so, but I must retreat...

AND STAY OUT

Elise has as much HP as Beruka, huh. Granted she's high level but that's a 30% growth.

*Many many turns later*

I don't want to fight you either. After all, I owe you my life. You took me back to Hoshido during my hour of need.
Well, you saved my life as well. If you hadn't intervened, King Garon would have killed me.
I wish it didn't have to be this way, but I can't afford to back down. It's difficult to explain, but it's for the good of all. Please forgive me.
We understand each-other perfectly. Enough talk. Prepare yourself.
I may owe you my life, but I don't have it in me to hold back!

No, it can't be! This way of peace must be...Corrine's path....

Normally going backwards on Rinkah's room is actually tough because whoever kills Rinkah is blocking the stairs, and the rest of the room will pile on that unit. But that's why we have Rescue Staves.

The Oni Savages go down pretty quickly since they don't have a gimmick.

Now let's finally take a look at the boss room

The Sky Knights on the side have Bolt Naginatas (with actual magic stats!), while the one behind Hinoka is a normal one, reared by a healer.

Hinoka is your typical Conquest boss: 1-2 range weapon, bullcrap combinations (She gives +4 damage, -2 reduction to surrounding allies), and a unique skill. That last skill is Winged Shield, which prevents bonus damage and lets her use terrain effects.

Bad news for non-Hinoka fliers, they still instantly die to Niles.

I will not allow you to take this territory OR the Rainbow Sage!

Hinoka...so you're the one who took the Rainbow Sage.
You really are fighting for Nohr eh? I had to see it with my own eyes. You know, I spent so many years wishing that I could be near you. Now you're right in front of me, but we couldn't be further apart.
I'm sorry it had to be this way. I know you wanted me to return to Hoshido and for us to be a family. It kills me to have caused you so much pain. It is a burden I shall always bear. However I... I...
I know. You needn't say another word. I also know you won't hold back. I can read your sad eyes like an open book. After all, though we hardly know each other, you're still my little sister.
Hinoka....
If you're that determined to fight, then so be it. Let's see if all that resolve is enough to take down your own sister!

That was definitely a group effort to take her down.

The lowish Skill is the only blemish for this Corrine.

Azura vs. Hinoka

Azura?! Is that really you?
Hello, Hinoka.
Thank goodness you’re safe! I was so upset when I heard you were missing. I’m sorry we couldn’t stop those rogue soldiers from taking you away. You must have gone through a lot of pain and suffering, but it’s over now. Come on back to Hoshido with me, I’ll keep you safe from the Nohrians.
I’m sorry, Hinoka. I cannot return to Hoshido with you.
What?! Why would you say that? Y-you’re not really siding with the Nohrians, are you? Say it isn’t so…
I am. I will never forget the kindness your family showed me… I bear you no ill will, but even so, I have chosen to fight alongside Corrine.
So you’re to betray us too? …So be it.

Camilla vs. Hinoka

Heh heh, I finally found you...
You! Aren't you Princess Camilla of Nohr?
I am. And you are Princess Hinoka of Hoshido. Corrine's "real" sister.
Yes, I am. All I've wanted for as long as I can remember is to bring her home. I still feel the same way. The last thing I want is to fight her.
Corrine belongs with us! Can't you see that?!
Oh my, how wrong you are. My sweet sister will never return to you. She knows who her true family is, and it's not the one she left in Hoshido.
She chose Nohr. More specifically, she chose me over you. Deal with it.
You! Y-you'll pay for that!
Now prepare to beg, Princess. My dear Corrine only needs one big sister! That's why you're the one person I simply can't lose to!

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 28, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Stop the presses, Arthur actually hit his Luck growth in this mission. Miracles (of justice) do happen, it seems.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I definitely abused the fact that Hinoka gets healed every round and no one in the room moves to grind up a few levels until the heal staff broke.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

That is an absurd bundle of strength for a Lvl. 15 Corrine. Good thing your avatar is hitting better growths than in your Birthright run; Conquest isn't kind to mediocre units.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
The Oni savage room does have a gimmick! They all have seal resistance so your units are super vulnerable to Azama'z room of hexing and diviners-with-miracle. Going clockwise from the left defuses that one-two punch though.

Quick correction: Kaze has Vantage and Heartseeker, not Miracle.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The placement of this slow map was definitely deliberate, after chapter 10's incredibly frantic running back and forth to plug holes. An Effie/Beruka pair up will stomp through the Setsuna, Kaze, and samurai rooms pretty effortlessly, while Selena or Corrin (assuming theyr'e still in their base class) with a pair up will do the same for Rinkah's room. Azama's room is incredibly rude, though. Felicia (and maaaaaaybe Jakob) is probably the only character capable of handling that room by going in through the front.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Silsa and Nyx are out for the mission, possibly forever in the latter case cause wow her votes.

Silas

Tae posted:

Very annoying. She has Riposte, Certain Blow, and a Steel Bow that is 1-2 range. It's best to actually just let her attack and counter-hit her.

Yeah, so uh, anyone new to Conquest, get used to the enemies all getting sweet weapons that work like in previous games while you don't.

Tae posted:

Miracle and Vantage. Goddamn Kaze, why.

SweaterGear posted:

Quick correction: Kaze has Vantage and Heartseeker, not Miracle.

Tae posted:

Niles looks a Spirit Dust, which will probably go to Odin because Camilla has enough magic power thanks to her speed.

loots

Tae posted:

:psyduck: Is my file going to delete itself in the future?

I make liberal use of the My Castle thing to get people neat skills, bonus weapons and am currently recruiting great units with Aptitude so I can teach that to my guys and they're still not pulling levels this great!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, so uh, anyone new to Conquest, get used to the enemies all getting sweet weapons that work like in previous games while you don't.

Honestly given the penalties the weapons have now, it feels sillier that most of Birthright's bosses don't have the 1-2 But Good weapons. Haikataka would be a joke with just a Javelin for instance. Hell, given how little Conquest pulls its punches it's more surprising that there aren't Steel 1-2 weapons without the doubling penalty.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'd hate to destroy such brave soldiers, but I will if I must.
Argh... w-we're out of options here... Everyone! Retreat, now!

That won't be necessary. We suffered no casualties. Not one. Many of our soldiers are injured, but they'll recover, and they can all still walk.

WHAT

What?! How is that possible? I don't understand... Corrine! What is the meaning of this? Was this your doing?
Run, Hinoka.
Why are you hesitating? GO! GET OUT OF HERE!
Fine I'll retreat, for now. Before that devil you call a sister stabs me in the back....good-bye, my sister.

*The Hoshidans retreat*

Telling us all not to kill any Hoshidans before we even entered the building... You certainly made things difficult on us, but it was a fun challenge at least!

Oh my god, are we literally never going to kill anyone on the Nohrian path

Are you certain we shouldn't chase after them? It's not too late to kill them all...
No, Camilla. Let them go. We're blazing a new path for Nohr, one of mercy. There will be no pointless killing. That is the only way to end this war.

There's been no killing period. I'm pretty sure Birthright had a bodycount by now.

OK, now that we've seized Notre Sagesse, all that's left is to find the Rainbow Sage.

*Somebody runs in*

Oh hey Kaze.

Kaze?! What are you doing here? Why didn't you retreat with Hinoka and the others?
I asked my question first. You said your path is one of peace, and that you seek to end the war. Is that true? if so, why did you choose to return to Nohr?
Yes, I spoke the truth. At first I returned because I couldn't bring myself to betray my Nohrian siblings. But I soon realized that being a Nohrian princess granted me certain opportunities.

The tagling for Conquest is to change the kingdom from inside. I did not expect that would we would be bluntly burning victims and harmlessly shooting bows non-lethally all day.

Without me, the Nohrian army would keep slaughtering the Hoshidan army... and the Hoshidans would keep retaliating. A never-ending cycle of hate and death. Since I chose to side with Nohr, it's my responsibility to end that cycle.

I dunno, the cycle ended on the other path and all you had to do was kill Garon.

I'm sorry, Kaze. But if your intention is to take me to Hoshido, you're out of luck. I won't let anything come between me and my goal of bringing peace to this world.
I see. I have only to look in your eyes to witness how determined you are.

Yay, Kaze joins the group. He's the only natural Ninja, and you don't have to worry about stupid A Support plots to keep him alive.

Huh?!
Please forgive me for my past brashness. I should not have judged you so quickly. When you left Hoshido, I thought you had betrayed us. Like the others, I was certain that you meant to destroy Hoshido.
I see now that I was horribly mistaken.

You have inspired me to hope for a peace I had long ago dismissed. Please allow me to lend my strength to your noble cause.
Thank you for your kind words, Kaze. I would be happy to have you, but...
You know the others will call you a traitor, right? Can you live with that?
Words cannot harm me, so long as I act with honor. I do not regret my decision.

Can I inspire Oboro to join the team as well

I'll even settle for Setsuna

Welcome to the team, Kaze!
Thank you, Lady Corrine. I shall serve you to the best of my ability.
I don't doubt it. Now to find the Rainbow Sage. He should be somewhere in this building...
Of course. Allow me to show you the way to his quarters.

*Time passes*

You. Everyone wants your Mr. Miyagi made-up power-up.

Um... pardon me, but are you the Rainbow Sage.
I am the one you seek. You fought a trying battle to get here, young warrior with a heavy heart.
I did... I heard you have the power to make me stronger than I am. Please, oh wise sage, would you consider blessing me with your strength?
Hoo hoo hoo... Oh, you're a funny little dragon, aren't you?

Literally the first mention since like chapter 5.

You have already gone through my trial, and so have already received my power. Does not your body feel lighter and stronger than when it first arrived?

So wait, is the "rainbow sage training" just climbing up the tower itself? Fighting itself does nothing? EXPLAIN

I was so distracted I hadn't really... but you're right. I suppose it does!
All who seek to find me must struggle through various trials to do so. It is amid that struggle that I witness and unlock their true power and potential. You did well, hero of darkness.
Thank you so much! I can't wait to show Xander my new power.

You have in your possession the legendary Yato blade, do you not?
How do you know that? And wait... How do you know my name?

You questioned that but not when he literally called you a dragon???

Hoo hoo hoo, how humorous. I know all that there is to know! I know all that you have done and all that you are still to do. But I won't spoil the ending. That's for you to discover.

As wielder of the divine blade, it is you who will solve the mystery of the Seal of Flames. The Seal is the key to bringing an end to the hatred and war that soil these lands. Solve the mystery, and you will bring peace to this world at long last. So it shall pass.
The Seal of Flames... Where do I start?
Your Yato is the key... that is your first clue.
Unfortunately, it seems the Nohrian hero who would aid you is not present. That will change in the not-too-distant future. When the time comes, this will help you lead the way.

"Oops, we forgot that Xander doesn't join yet."

Lift up your blade, Corrine.
As you wish, Sage...

I, who wove the divine colors... I call on you now, Seal of Flames!

*The Yato glows*

Nothing, yet. I merely awakened a seed that was already sown. When you enlist the help of another hero of Nohr, your blade will evolve. A blade fierce enough to guide us through the night... the Grim Yato.

Really, Fates? You're even going to call the Yato "EVIL YATO?"

The Grim Yato... Once I've unlocked it, will I be able to find the Seal?
The Grim Yato is a part of the Seal of Flames, though it is not it's final form. Perhaps one day you will meet your fate head-on and unlock the Seal's power. Perhaps...

"BUY REVELATIONS TODAY!"

That is all I can say. Your path is an arduous one, but I believe in you. You'd better get going, young hero. The King is awaiting your return.

Let's hurry back to the castle and tell Father we completed his mission.
Heh heh, not so fast, Lady Corrine.

Go away before Leo kills you again

Iago?! What are you doing here?
I am still at the castle, foolish princess. What you see is merely an illusion. King Garon has tasked me with informing you of his latest command.
Another command? Already?
Aren't you lucky? If it were up to me, you would be dead and buried. King Garon doesn't wish for our enemies to obtain the Rainbow Sage's strength. So it is now your illustrious privilege to carry out his will by killing the sage.

Corrine, this is the time to blurt out the secret of the Rainbow Sage. "It's a trick! There's no actual power! I just waxed a car all day!"

The Rainbow Sage is a force for good. I will not repay his kindness with death. And the Hoshidan high prince, Ryoma, has already received his power. It's too late to prevent it. To kill the Sage now would not only be cruel but pointless.

He's a force for good? Since when? He has shown no bias to anyone other than who climbed up to his tower.

As you well know by now, to disobey a direct order from the King is treason. Not even your meddling siblings could save you if you disobey once more. If you value your life, i would rethink your refusal.
You dastard! I won't do it! I won't...

What the?!
Sage! You heard all that?
Hoo hoo, you never cease to amuse. As I said, I know all there is to know. I am grateful that you chose to protect me, even at the risk of your own life. But now it is my turn to protect you. My time has finally come. I am ready.
Wh-what are you saying? You can't mean...

When higher beings like myself stay in this realm too long, we eventually go insane. My power is too great to allow that, as I might even destroy this world I so love.

So he's a type of manakete. Also, convenient that he dies much earlier here than Birthright where it's hinted that he died after the war.

I've known for some time now I must die soon. But not until I gave you my strength. Now that my work is done, so too is my time here.
Please, no! You don't have to do this! I'll find a way to convince Father that...
Thank you for your kindness, Corrine. That kindness may just save this world. Never forget that life is the most precious gift of all. Protect it. Cherish it.

Allow yourself to be happy. This is such a lovely world... Don't take it for granted.
Do this, and your soul shall give hope to the future, brave princess... Do this, and it will shine brightly with all the colors... of the.........

Please don't do this... Don't die...
Gods, no... NOOO!!!
Hmph. You and your loopholes. Well, I suppose dead is dead. You technically fulfilled King Garon’s order. You sneaky little rat…

*Iago disappears*

I'm so sorry, Sage... I should have found a way to stop this. I chose this path to bring peace to the world. To stop the senseless death... Yet here I am again, powerless to save an innocent life.

...Well, that's chapter 11 out of 27

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Garon and his lackeys being gungho about pointless killing is extremely stupid and clumsy writing. Corrin's refusal to kill makes sense as a reaction to that, but it's handled so poorly that it is just equally stupid.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
This is the part where the narrative's refusal to make Corrin do anything even remotely morally ambiguous really starts to get on my nerves. Okay, I get they didn't want to make an "evil" path (but, really, they did), but this is going to be more the dark, morally grey one, so actually have your protagonist do morally grey things! I keep thinking of Radiant Dawn. I mean, yeah of people don't like Micaiah, but when the narrative wanted her to do some morally questionable things, she actually did morally questionable things. They didn't shy away from that!

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 28, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Camel Pimp posted:

This is the part where the narrative's refusal to make Corrin do anything even remotely morally ambiguous really starts to get on my nerves. Okay, I get they didn't want to make an "evil" path (but, really, they did), but this is going to be more the dark, morally grey one, so actually have your protagonist do morally grey things! I keep thinking of Radiant Dawn. I mean, yeah of people don't like Micaiah, but when the narrative wanted her to do some morally questionable things, she actually did morally questionable things. They didn't shy away from that!

It's possible they were afraid of people hating Conquest Corrin for doing morally questionable acts the same way Micaiah did. Problem is, you can't let fan reaction get in the way of good story telling. Of course, I highly doubt that. It's more likely they just wanted Corrin to be unquestionably good, without realising that you can be good even if you have to do some bad things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SweaterGear posted:

Garon and his lackeys being gungho about pointless killing is extremely stupid and clumsy writing. Corrin's refusal to kill makes sense as a reaction to that, but it's handled so poorly that it is just equally stupid.

Garon is Murderdad for a reason :v:

Inferno-sama posted:

It's possible they were afraid of people hating Conquest Corrin for doing morally questionable acts the same way Micaiah did. Problem is, you can't let fan reaction get in the way of good story telling. Of course, I highly doubt that. It's more likely they just wanted Corrin to be unquestionably good, without realising that you can be good even if you have to do some bad things.

That seems to be a running theme/consequence with this game. 'Fans loved the kids so lets put in some kids WHAT HO DEEPREALMS!' 'People hate Micaiah because she did bad things for good reasons, so Evil Corrin won't do bad things and thus everyone will like them!'

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The Magic Anti-Murder Aura (TM) is Corrine's way of trolling King Garon right back.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If reaction to Micaiah is part of why IS was afraid to make Corrin do morally questionable things, then they completely missed the point of why people didn't like Micaiah. It wasn't the morally questionable things themselves (okay, the oil strategy went a bit beyond questionable and straight into just hosed up), but just how stupid the reasoning behind most of her actions was, and how she basically suffered no repercussions whatsoever for any of the poo poo she pulled. Everything works out fine for her, to the extent a character that was already presented as smart and clever in the previous game (Sanaki), is saying she's basically the bestest thing ever and should be the one in charge of Begnion.

As for the "absolutely no deaths" thing, yeah. My personal opinion is that alone (and no, it doesn't stop here), without even taking into consideration all the other stupid poo poo that has happened or will happen, is already just as bad or worse than the random deaths out of nowhere in Birthright. It's such an utterly moronic thing to put into the story there really nothing else to say.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Why the hell is Corrine so whiny at the end? From what I could see, the Rainbow Sage died of old age, so there was literally nothing she could've done. Or was there a sound effect that I missed because the scene is text-only here?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Why the hell is Corrine so whiny at the end? From what I could see, the Rainbow Sage died of old age, so there was literally nothing she could've done. Or was there a sound effect that I missed because the scene is text-only here?

He offed himself.

Tragic, really. Old goat died minutes ahead of his time.

Also, man. Female Corrin's design is so much better than guy Corrin's. This isn't Robin where you got six designs, and they all can more or less work. This is three crap designs (with less variation) and one decent one with weird leg cutouts.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think tall male Corrin looks just fine vOv

Also, Micaiah's main problem is that her story got strangled in the crib in favor of Ike barging in. Corrin really doesn't get the excuse of having to share the stage with other characters, and in fact if anything has three games' worth of leeway, but acts equally stupid on each one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't want to kill him, but I had no choice!

The Azura conversations are route specific.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

...But I have nightmares every night about the Hoshidans I've killed!

Either this conversation was meant to be obtained later, or things really got rewritten while the game was being made.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Iirc the Supports were outsourced to a different company. I mentioned this way earlier in the LP.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So you see, Conquest is much harder than Birthright because on this path all your units are constantly sandbagging in order to not kill.

Always non-lethal, yes; even a non-lethal Lethality, should we promote Kaze to Master Ninja.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Either this conversation was meant to be obtained later, or things really got rewritten while the game was being made.
either the people it got outsourced to or the translators assumed the game was better written than it was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Weeble posted:

So you see, Conquest is much harder than Birthright because on this path all your units are constantly sandbagging in order to not kill.

Always non-lethal, yes; even a non-lethal Lethality, should we promote Kaze to Master Ninja.

He just punches them in the throat really hard instead of cutting them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

He just punches them in the throat really hard instead of cutting them.

Rubber shuriken.

Honest.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fimbulvetr?
Nah its a water cannon see.
Lances you say?
Theyre pool noodles, obv.
Bows?
Theyre nerf tipped come on

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

I assumed that it was in reference to when the sword blew up and killed the queen.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the death in the support.

blankd fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

CptWedgie posted:

This is another bad writing that really got to me. Like, why are you so ridiculously upset about the self-sacrifice of this old man who just said "hey it's ok I'd rather not get so old I go insane" when MurderDad said "you have to kill him". You weren't even this visibly upset that YOUR MOTHER died.

• Locked thread