Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've got an idea for an additional collectible: add a Sheikah Speaker feature to the slate, and replace a hundred of the koroks with classic Zelda music that can be loaded into the slate. Someone please tell their uncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jack B Nimble posted:

I had no idea that was even a thing. I get the feeling I don't actually know much about the game I just beat, that it has depths I could spend another ~month exploring.

I'm curious what people think of the weapon durability mechanic? I think it had an important place in the game mechanics, limiting your exploration and keeping you from getting too comfortable with any one weapon, but overall I'm left wishing they'd done it just a bit differently. Two things I expected to be in the game that didn't happen were the "racial weapons" you gain didn't regen and that you couldn't buy weapons in town. I spent a lot of mental energy in play through trying to keep myself equipped with "civilized" or even "noble" weapons, and I would have invest a lot more time into the games economy if a swing through Hateno village could nab me, say, traveler swords @ $100 each or soldier swords for $300. As it stands I had this weirdly lopsided game experience; at first I was smashing goblins in the face with their own stupid atatls in between ransacking Hateno and Koriko for rakes but then, without even really noticing it, I suddenly had "royal" this and "guardian" that and sadly I think the big difference was that I stopped fighting unless I really had to. I ran away from a lot of enemies unless I had some actual reason to clear out an area, and that's not a decision I wish the game's mechanics had steered me towards.
I noticed that in whatever path I took towards dueling peaks that there a lot of camps where you had to defeat all the enemies for the chest to spawn. I feel like that somehow went away, which made me do less fighting encounters.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Astro7x posted:

I noticed that in whatever path I took towards dueling peaks that there a lot of camps where you had to defeat all the enemies for the chest to spawn. I feel like that somehow went away, which made me do less fighting encounters.

One place in Hebra I killed all the guys and the chest didn't open. I wandered around for six or seven minutes looking for the last guy and nope, there wasn't one. I'd nailed them all. Out of 115 hours it was like the third glitch I'd encountered.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Stumbling upon the dragons was one of the coolest parts of the game for me. One of 'em burst out of a pond that I randomly happened upon (and scared the absolute poo poo out of me), another randomly flew by while I was fighting a Lynel, and the ice dragon was just really fun, it was the first one I encountered.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, the first one I saw was the red dragon. I was just fighting some random enemies and I turned around and there's a massive glowing red dragon. It was a pretty good moment.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I found Naydra first but I remember most finally deciding to check out the Lake Hylia bridge only for a dragon to start flying around it. Then I pushed on to the woods and jungle area to find the same dragon fly over the river near the road. It was genuinely beautiful.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I saw Dinraal first and I wasn't sure what it was, because it was from a large distance so I asked my friend if there were dragons in the game and she was like, "Maybe." Then I saw Farosh, also from a distance. This was within five hours of starting, when I hadn't gotten too far from the Great Plateau. I wasn't even sure if I had seen two separate things at that point. It was really interesting because it was adding to the sense of mystery and wonder I had at the time. Of course now I'm 115 hours in and while there are still things I'm discovering it's a bit grindy at four DBs and 89 shrines down. I have a lot more to do but it's a bit like I've seen it all because I've watched a lot of let's plays and played along with my friend via streaming as well (so actually I have played maybe 200+ hours if you count time spent on stream with her, and done 95-99 shrines, not sure how many didn't overlap with mine but six to ten sounds about right, plus we beat Ganon together).

Still love playing though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I agree with this; the game needed one or two other resources in it's economy to make exploring more worthwhile. I went through one giant maze to find, in it's center A spirit orb that I could gotten from 30 seconds of put put golf or lever balancing or whatever other Wario-Ware tier mini game. Something I said before is that while the act of exploration is tremendously satisfying at the start of the game, and stays satisfying for quite a while, it won't last forever. And mechanically there's never any change at all to that exploration - you're gathering Korok seeds and Spirit Orbs on the Great Plateau 30 minutes into the game and ... that's what you're doing dozens of hours later when you roll into your final region.

When I think of other games with worlds I like to explore, they all have more ways of guiding or shaping your exploration. Skyrim and Fallout 4 have a complicated item economy that divides player equipment, enemy difficulty, and loot rewards up into loose zones. It's not hard and fast but grab a level 1 player in Fallout 4 and head south, you'll eventually be somewhere you shouldn't. While item tiers are somewhat present in BoTW, it's not to the same extant. One of the first things I did in BotW was head north west , determined to ride the air ship I could see in the distance. We're talking 3 hearts, 1/5th of an extra stamina bar, and rusty weapons. I managed to climb the tower that is ringed by guardians, because I found if you time your climb leaps just right they'll miss. But I tried and failed several times to climb the tower In the lake with the air-stepping sorcerers. If there's a way to dodge their lightning attacks while climbing I couldn't figure it out..

Now, I know it sounds like I just refuted my own argument, that the game does limit your exploration and force you to be prepared for dangerous areas. And at the time I thought the same thing. "Good, the game wont let me just go everywhere, I need to come back when I'm ready." The problem is...it wasn't enough? This wasn't a particularly nuanced equipment/preparation requirement, looking back it was mostly "do you have a reasonable bow, some good arrows, and some food?" In other words, a level of preparation I got very, very quickly in the game and maintained the entire time without any effort.

So maybe this is one aspect of something that I mostly love about the game, that it takes open world/survival/movement mechanics from other games (don't starve, assassin's creed,stalker) and gives them what I'd call the "apple" treatment (maybe the "Nintendo" treatment? Hmn maybe Nintendo is the Apple of gaming?") in that they took existing ideas, smoothed them out, made them beautiful and elegant...but maybe they lost some depth doing it? So this isn't really a failing of BoTW just a limitation of their design choices. There are many, many things BoTW does better than Skyrim and Fallout 4. Not to mention that maybe 10 year olds get to enjoy a Zelda too and wishing Zelda was more like Stalker is like when a nerd wishes Star Wars was more Grim-Dark.

Cute thing about the game #2: The first time Link dyes his clothes he's surprised and startled when the platform drops, but from then on he gives a determined, unnecessarily heroic nod of ascent. Buddy maybe just climb into it instead of letting the weirdo shark tank you every time?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 27, 2017

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Watching the wife play Horizon Zero Dawn made me appreciate BotW soooo much more, and I already adore it. There are big things like being able to climb anywhere vs classic "look for the painted ledges" for where you can climb. It doesn't feel nearly as open as BotW. Way too many sterile cutscenes and unnecessary hand-holding. Also I don't know if it's because I have a dumb old PS4 and not a slim or pro or whatever it is, but whatever emotion you're trying to invoke when a character dies by an arrow and the arrow flashes/glitches 3 inches over and then back again, is lost. It just made me appreciate how simple BotW makes everything, but it's not because it's basic or a lack of content, it just genuinely handles the nuances of an RPG so well, so fluidly.

And then the little things - my god - why would you make every single thing you can pick up or loot in the game have this big white pointer coming out of it. How are you supposed to engage with the game and look at what you're picking up when your eye just can't be pried away from the huge white indicator tell you what it is. I get that maybe the world is so stunningly complex and beautiful that it may make it harder to see these things, but not a big white "press butan here to make this go away" indicator. So jarring. BotW just had a small but easily readable text box come up for ever item you pick up. Oh and that reminds me, just picking things up in the game is another chance for disappointment but handled very well. When a moblin drops its guts and stuff right next to their arm/weapon/shield, the game knows you're more likely interested in the loot and not a stupid arm, so it gives those things priority when you're spamming A picking everything up on your way. And it's just, A - pick up - done. In HZD it plays a short animation every time you pick something up! Gets old very quickly.

HZD is more of an illusion of an open world. Yeah you've got a big map to explore but from what I've seen so far, no real motivation to go explore it. What will you find, more machines to fight, plants, and maybe a piece of gear offering a marginal improvement? BotW map is, "oh, this looks slightly interesting, I'm going to head there" and you find a billion things to do in the meantime and you're left wondering, "what was I do doing? oh right, headed northwest to that strange looking rock".

HZD is a great game, and it's not a super fair comparison with BotW, but my point is how even though it's good - BotW just shines. It's so polished, no annoying mechanics. So fluid, go wherever you want. It's a testament that the formula to a truly immersive and evocative experiences is not extravagant environments, high res graphics, or lavish scenery. I feel more attached and involved in BotW and it's much simpler in terms of environment and detail.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jack B Nimble posted:

I agree with this; the game needed one or two other resources in it's economy to make exploring more worthwhile. I went through one giant maze to find, in it's center A spirit orb that I could gotten from 30 seconds of put put golf or lever balancing or whatever other Wario-Ware tier mini game. Something I said before is that while the act of exploration is tremendously satisfying at the start of the game, and stays satisfying for quite a while, it won't last forever. And mechanically there's never any change at all to that exploration - you're gathering Korok seeds and Spirit Orbs on the Great Plateau 30 minutes into the game and ... that's what you're doing dozens of hours later when you roll into your final region.

When I think of other games with worlds I like to explore, they all have more ways of guiding or shaping your exploration. Skyrim and Fallout 4 have a complicated item economy that divides player equipment, enemy difficulty, and loot rewards up into loose zones. It's not hard and fast but grab a level 1 player in Fallout 4 and head south, you'll eventually be somewhere you shouldn't. While item tiers are somewhat present in BoTW, it's not to the same extant. One of the first things I did in BotW was head north west , determined to ride the air ship I could see in the distance. We're talking 3 hearts, 1/5th of an extra stamina bar, and rusty weapons. I managed to climb the tower that is ringed by guardians, because I found if you time your climb leaps just right they'll miss. But I tried and failed several times to climb the tower In the lake with the air-stepping sorcerers. If there's a way to dodge their lightning attacks while climbing I couldn't figure it out..

Now, I know it sounds like I just refuted my own argument, that the game does limit your exploration and force you to be prepared for dangerous areas. And at the time I thought the same thing. "Good, the game wont let me just go everywhere, I need to come back when I'm ready." The problem is...it wasn't enough? This wasn't a particularly nuanced equipment/preparation requirement, looking back it was mostly "do you have a reasonable bow, some good arrows, and some food?" In other words, a level of preparation I got very, very quickly in the game and maintained the entire time without any effort.

So maybe this is one aspect of something that I mostly love about the game, that it takes open world/survival/movement mechanics from other games (don't starve, assassin's creed,stalker) and gives them what I'd call the "apple" treatment (maybe the "Nintendo" treatment? Hmn maybe Nintendo is the Apple of gaming?") in that they took existing ideas, smoothed them out, made them beautiful and elegant...but maybe they lost some depth doing it? So this isn't really a failing of BoTW just a limitation of their design choices. There are many, many things BoTW does better than Skyrim and Fallout 4. Not to mention that maybe 10 year olds get to enjoy a Zelda too and wishing Zelda was more like Stalker is like when a nerd wishes Star Wars was more Grim-Dark.

Cute thing about the game #2: The first time Link dyes his clothes he's surprised and startled when the platform drops, but from then on he gives a determined, unnecessarily heroic nod of ascent. Buddy maybe just climb into it instead of letting the weirdo shark tank you every time?

how are any of things you spoilered spoilers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually the complaint about the giant maze is wrong because the actual reward from those is the Barbarian Armor

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually the complaint about the giant maze is wrong because the actual reward from those is the Barbarian Armor

And the diamond tiara and tons of guardians for farming

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whoops, is that where I got that item? My bad, I'd have sworn I grabbed that in some Shrine somewhere. Well, I stand corrected and mazes are good. As for the other spoilers they're things I wouldn't have wanted to know beforehand. They're hardly game changing things but I wouldn't have wanted to be trudging towards a tower and have rattling around in my head "this tower is like X and if you do something along the lines of Y you'll get up it" Maybe page 500 of this thread just isn't the place you need to be if that would bother you though? Eh, I don't regret spoilering it. :shrug:

The comparison post about Horizon Zero Dawn really hits the nail on the head, BoTW has astounding polish and a...unity of design? I'd be really, really curious to see what the BoTW dev team looks like compared to, say, any random Ubisoft open world game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've only done the Spring of Wisdom/Naydra but I was super disappointed that the reward was just another spirit orb and frost spear. I was expecting something more unique

Also the player house is lame as hell but you guys were right and the quest after is cool as hell

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Lakbay posted:

I've only done the Spring of Wisdom/Naydra but I was super disappointed that the reward was just another spirit orb and frost spear. I was expecting something more unique

Me too, the very least a set of armor

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Lakbay posted:

frost spear

Put that in your house, keep it in inventory and don't use it, or show it to the kid in Hateno if you're at that point. Because for some reason, for me at least, getting my hands on a frost spear took the longest out of all those things.

Or maybe it's random and different every time?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I did Naydra early game so it's long gone.

I'm agreeing with the guy who said there needs to be more uniquer or longer lasting rewards because doing a cool quest and getting another shrine is kinda disappointing. I do really appreciate getting all the Zelda gadget to get around off the bat though

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
So I was feeling kind of despondent after finishing the 4th DB and it just felt like the only thing I wanted to do was go beat Gannon and get poo poo overwith.

Then I decided to hunt down some Memories. And it's like I'm back to square 1 of being a kid in a candy store with the world map. I also had found that I had under-explored the Faron region. I found 2 shrines when I was really only on the hunt for 1. I found the region's Hinox and Lynel. I picked up some loot and got encouraged again. Lynel fights have actually become fun for me now. I crank up a L3 Attack booster and run at it while whistling. With a Royal Claymore I can knock one down in only 2-4 minutes now.

From what I've seen so far, you kind of wonder how much of a badass Link was 100 years ago. It seems like he had help from Zelda, but the memory that's just a bit east of the Woodland tower made me :stonk::stonk::stonk:

Then I went from there to the memory that's just outside of Hyrule Castle, stumbled upon a shrine, and had to fight SO MANY loving GUARDIANS. The worst was when a god damned Yiga decided to show up right when I was 6ft away from a Guardian and blasting it in the eye. Fucker.

Oh, and this happened...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jack B Nimble posted:

"Good, the game wont let me just go everywhere, I need to come back when I'm ready." The problem is...it wasn't enough? This wasn't a particularly nuanced equipment/preparation requirement, looking back it was mostly "do you have a reasonable bow, some good arrows, and some food?"

quote:

...in that they took existing ideas, smoothed them out, made them beautiful and elegant...but maybe they lost some depth doing it?

Uh, 2 out of the 4 Divine beasts are in areas that have specific requirements throughout the area (Gerudo needing specific clothing/heat protection/cold protection, Eldin needing fire protection) with a 3rd needing cold protection during the dungeon portion itself. Honestly, anything more beyond that would've probably just gotten annoying to most players, so I don't think you really want more restrictions like you're talking about here.

And the point about bows is pretty silly, cause arrows (and money to buy arrows) are very limited for a while barring weirdly specific routes. You're most probably going to need normal weapons too unless you are playing ultra-specific. And then there's still things like needing torches in a bunch of areas where the game doesn't give you any.

You're points seem to say you want the game to be more restrictive as a means of achieving depth. But what the game does is continually offer multiple solutions to several challenges/problems and continuously reward people who are more prepared with an easier time (such as getting through stealth sections with Steal boosts, etc). Offering more variety of solutions isn't losing depth...if anything it's adding to it on the larger scale of freedom and exploration.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish the fierce diety set had something different to it from the barbarian set.

Oh well, set looks cool at least!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You didn't always have 2k in cash for no reason and immediately buy the out fits in every town without a thought? And I'm being serious, not a smug get good snark. I picked up gems when i saw them, sold them when I could, and never once was unable to walk into the next town and buy all thier clothes.

I also made no effort to get bows but i always had a full stack? I mean, why wouldn't you? Were other players killing random goblins with thier bows?

And no, I'm pretty happy with the game being approachable, not everything needs to be dark souls. I'm more thinking about what the game is like, and why, rather than stamping my feet and insisting Nintendo did it wrong. If anything I agree with you, you've got a great point about thier permissive design being a strength.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
If you'd read through the thread (which is huge so no one would blame you), you'd see that everyone does things differently in terms of routing and in general playstyle. It's not really good form to discuss this game in a "Seriously how did you NOT do X" when everyone has a different X they discovered or cared about.

There have definitely been many people who've had money issues even up till the post game, myself included. It is true that you can sell gems ASAP, but me (and probably others) kept our gems for later upgrading. Is it the most efficient routing wise? In hindsight maybe not, but we aren't talking about optimal play strats here.

Bows are not an issue. I was talking about arrows, which many have repeatedly attested to being rather limited in this game barring specific farming tricks (such as fighting certain packs of enemies in an area, having money to buy out shops, or the old infinite arrow spawn trick). For my anecdotal take, I started out using my arrows a bunch and quickly ran out well before my first divine beast and then stopped using them. And outside of the game giving shock/bomb arrows for their respective sections, I was always critically low on arrows until post-game. But this could be different for others, that's just how the game is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's an interesting take on it, thanks. I know I've probably got a lot of assumptions in my play through, which when I look back on it somehow seems to be mostly dozens of hours of abstaining from fast travel and slowly wandering on foot or horse through the towers, four dbs, 12 memories, and ms.

My only real regret is that I never got around to exploring the castle and then when i got in a hurry to finish i snuck in at the end.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's an interesting take on it, thanks. I know I've probably got a lot of assumptions in my play through, which when I look back on it somehow seems to be mostly dozens of hours of abstaining from fast travel and slowly wandering on foot or horse through the towers, four dbs, 12 memories, and ms.

My only real regret is that I never got around to exploring the castle and then when i got in a hurry to finish i snuck in at the end.

Go back and explore it then?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lol as soon as I beat the game I let my room mate overwrite my save. It's the journey bro! Plus since this is a borrowed system I need to return it at some point, and this game can get the hooks in.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm about to get a full 2nd stamina wheel and it feels like two wheels will be enough for everything. Is there a reason to get more than or can I just dump the rest of my spirit orbs into hearts

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't underestimate how awesome 3 wheels is

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Regy Rusty posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Regy Rusty posted:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

new thread title

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm gonna respec now thanks to the empty quotes (also it seems way easier to make max heart buff food)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Regy Rusty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The real question is why is there only a limit of 3 wheels

I want 5 wheels

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
It'd be sweet if there was a magnesis upgrade that let's you "rail gun" metal objects you grab onto.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
First few upgrades I did in batches and would typically go 2 hearts 1 stamina, but then I learned I could cook things that would make my initial heart count irrelevant and there were mountains I wanted to climb.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Does anyone know what's up with the weird room above the Sanctum? It doesn't seem to serve any real function.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lifts cats over head posted:

First few upgrades I did in batches and would typically go 2 hearts 1 stamina, but then I learned I could cook things that would make my initial heart count irrelevant and there were mountains I wanted to climb.

Gotta get the Master Sword though so I dumped everything into hearts first. Then I respecced. Now of course I'm at like 90 shrines so it's pretty irrelevant.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ventana posted:

The real question is why is there only a limit of 3 wheels

I want 5 wheels

There's a meal for that.

But yeah, three wheels is awesome. My standard Hinox-Killing method now is to just sneak up between the legs of a sleeping Hinox, pull out a Royal Claymore, and spin up. By the time the Hinox is on his feet, he's dead, and if the Royal Claymore happened to break, oh well, there's probably a new one on the ground now.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Lakbay posted:

I'm about to get a full 2nd stamina wheel and it feels like two wheels will be enough for everything. Is there a reason to get more than or can I just dump the rest of my spirit orbs into hearts

Stamina is better than hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

lifts cats over head posted:

and there were mountains I wanted to climb.

:yeah: