Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Quinntan posted:

When can we expect this to be run, just wondering.

Couple of days.

married but discreet posted:

Game/LP mechanics question, in spoilers cause it might take away from the enjoyment of the LP
How smart is the AI in this game? So far all they've done is suicidally charge into the fray, accomplishing nothing. Is this intentional on Yooper's part to simulate idiot adversaries? Would you have to do a lot of scripting to make them act differently?

The AI is tactically smart. It will fire missiles at the proper range, behave as a bomber would, drop altitude at the proper time and the such. However the strategic thinking is pretty simple, it all depends on the scripting (or lack of) that I use. One good example is a lone fighter won't turn tail and run if faced with overwhelming odds. However I can write a script that it would. I've used things like detection script, so the hostiles don't launch until we are detected. I tweak the OpFor quantity to where it seems balanced compared to our force composition, and I do this prior to the plan being laid out.

Ideally we'd have an enemy that would probe, feint, and act like a human being. But since I'm not that talented with the scripting (yet) we have to settle with near-parity air engagements. It doesn't take much for one Gripen to get knocked down and suddenly one entire CAP group is wiped out. I've watched it happen quite a bit in my scenario testing. The tipping point isn't all that far.

I'm working on an aggressiveness / cowardice script. If the hostiles see a shitload of incoming birds they'll boogie. Or if they only see one or two they'll attack. How I work this into an interesting narrative is proving tricky. Any reasonable opponent in Black Diamond would see our wave of Gripens and not fight it. We could play this off as the dictator's Air Marshall demanding results because he doesn't want to be fed to the hyenas or something. But I'll totally take the blame on my scripting talents. Our medium for orders also doesn't let us be terribly reactive. A script where the enemies instead hit targets on the flank would be realistic, but I don't want, nor expect, us to plan for every single contingency.

I don't want to punish you guys for a situation you have no control over. So, until I can think of a good way to do it, I'll keep the air battles at parity, or as close as my testing shows. If you have CMANO pop open the scenario editor and drop a few jets on either side. It's really amazing how quickly a single loss snowballs into a squadron being destroyed.

In regards to voting I don't want to cut the voting too short. I typically wait until the velocity of incoming votes drops before calling a winner. That way everyone can have a chance to participate and comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Do we have a deal with the Free State to not attack each other till Santos is removed? Should we?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Yooper posted:

But I'll totally take the blame on my scripting talents.
:words:

No blame needed, you're doing an awesome job. Was just wondering.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Operation Grognard

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Loel posted:

Do we have a deal with the Free State to not attack each other till Santos is removed? Should we?

It might be worth it to press Dickyboy on two fronts in a more synchronised fashion, we could probably talk them into it with a shipment of vape pens

and totally steal their poo poo later

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hexenritter posted:

It might be worth it to press Dickyboy on two fronts in a more synchronised fashion, we could probably talk them into it with a shipment of vape pens

and totally steal their poo poo later

The thing is that they might turn around and backstab us 'for the lulz' at any point. They're not a conventional organisation, it's more like a sack of drug-addled chimps. You can try and negotiate with them, and maybe one or two might individually cooperate, but in the end they'll all wind up throwing their poo poo at you.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

The thing is that they might turn around and backstab us 'for the lulz' at any point. They're not a conventional organisation, it's more like a sack of drug-addled chimps. You can try and negotiate with them, and maybe one or two might individually cooperate, but in the end they'll all wind up their poo poo at you.

This is very true, and the only thing keeping me from really backing any attempt to form a non-aggression pact with them.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Davin Valkri posted:

Tunguskas can be destroyed by our Phantoms flying above their range envelope. Their missiles are command guided, not SARH, so HARMs won't help.

Anyway, I'm good with Grognard, on two conditions.

1) Include plans to support the east.
2) We should name it Operation Stonehenge.

Huh, I thought it had a search radar at least. Or is that not good enough for the HARM to lock on to?

Agreeing with Stonehenge.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah it can still be targeted if the search radar is on.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

power crystals posted:

Huh, I thought it had a search radar at least. Or is that not good enough for the HARM to lock on to?

Agreeing with Stonehenge.

While true, it's a very short-ranged and low-ceiling radar, and used primarily with the guns, which fall short of the (radio command-guided LOS) missiles by about 10 km. Essentially, the Tunguska's systems can be defeated by flying above ~15k ft, and the HARMs are best saved for the SA-10 battery.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

married but discreet posted:

No blame needed, you're doing an awesome job. Was just wondering.

I'd like to have it be more reactive. Ideally they'd divert to another location and strike where we're weak. We'll see!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hexenritter posted:

This is very true, and the only thing keeping me from really backing any attempt to form a non-aggression pact with them.

Well, we could at the very least ask Jack whether he thinks they'd go for it, even if it is only temporary. As it stands, I'm certain that as dumb as they are, they will recognize that the dictator is who they should focus on, especially to secure their supply lines.

Still amazed they apparently have made no move to take that Lithium mine on that border. Then again, they somehow still aren't suffering cashflow problems...the stupidity of the internet knows no bounds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
At the risk of this becoming the Bacarruda plays CMANO thread I'll vote for Double The Numbers. It's nothing against you Bacarruda, you make good plans but I feel like we gotta mix things up introduce some chaos.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Operation Emerald. The others aren't flinging enough bombs at the SA-10 for me to feel certain we can destroy it, especially if we lose a Gripen before it can launch.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Yooper posted:

Operation Double the Numbers

Operation Emerald

Operation Grognard

Time to halt that armored advance and beat up that mean ole SA-10B.

First I die, now Vengeance isn't even on the list. I know it won't get any votes but still. :(

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

First I die, now Vengeance isn't even on the list. I know it won't get any votes but still. :(

Got it! Sorry I missed it!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, we could at the very least ask Jack whether he thinks they'd go for it, even if it is only temporary. As it stands, I'm certain that as dumb as they are, they will recognize that the dictator is who they should focus on, especially to secure their supply lines.

Still amazed they apparently have made no move to take that Lithium mine on that border. Then again, they somehow still aren't suffering cashflow problems...the stupidity of the internet knows no bounds.
Well, they need to worry more about holding out in the west and protecting their supply lines, but yeah, considering they're heavier in that part of the country, it's a little shocking that they haven't pushed their line that little bit south.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Clearly they dont want to provoke us :D

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Operation Grognard

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

koolkevz666 posted:

Operation Grognard

Needs more clusterbombs

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Loel posted:

Needs more clusterbombs

Reminder that the release envelope for cluster bombs is pretty much "Tunguska Range".

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Davin Valkri posted:

Reminder that the release envelope for cluster bombs is pretty much "Tunguska Range".

Koolkevz666 knows what he likes :v:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Loel posted:

Koolkevz666 knows what he likes :v:

Unfortunately this is a straight up this asset needs to be eliminated mission and any plan I would come up using cluster bombs and other war crime esk weapons would make that mission a little harder to accomplish. In this case I bow out for now and let the others come up with a nice kill mission for that SAM battery. After that is dead though? Double War Crimes to make up for the lack of them this turn.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

koolkevz666 posted:

Unfortunately this is a straight up this asset needs to be eliminated mission and any plan I would come up using cluster bombs and other war crime esk weapons would make that mission a little harder to accomplish. In this case I bow out for now and let the others come up with a nice kill mission for that SAM battery. After that is dead though? Double War Crimes to make up for the lack of them this turn.

Thats more like it :colbert:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

koolkevz666 posted:

Also I sorely feel I should some how be making up missions for the Dictators forces, if I had the spare cash i'd buy the game and see what i can do but alas it is not to be this month. Still tomorrow I should have pics of some planes for Goons to look over including a nice Avro Vulcan if it is still at the museum.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
My vote goes to Operation Grognard.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I thought there was a stand-off sub-munition dispenser, but that could be from a fevered dream.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
http://www.x-plane.org/home/urf/aviation/text/mjolner.htm

Someone one some how get this modded into the game please!! It fits on our Gripens.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
We already have them, they're the DWS.39s

Now this is something I would want to mod in, what the Gripen might have been.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 27, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Quinntan posted:

Which wiki says are similar to the JSOW, which have range of 70 nni?

I sense a change in doctrine :D

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Quinntan posted:

Now this is something I would want to mod in, what the Gripen might have been.

Looking at the Gripens stats the cluster munitions have a range of 8nm an improvement over our other cluster weapons and gives me more options at the least.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Can we get JSOW-ERs? They are listed at 70-300 nmi :D

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

power crystals posted:

Double The Numbers.

Updated just because. Main differences vs. Grognard:
  • One Phantom assigned to "east CAP" with quad AMRAAM loadout
  • One Phantom assigned to blow up the Tunguska after the S300 is cleared
  • Sperwer is not deployed
  • Slightly different loadouts (Frogfeet have FAB500s instead of Vikhrs)
  • No explicit no-fly zones

My thinking is this: we've blown up a huge part of Angola's airforce twice; they can't have that many more planes in reserve, so I'm not super-terrified of crossing the border. But we don't know which airport they'll launch from, and two Gripens might run out of ammo if the Dictator's entire airforce got reassigned to Kuito. We also don't need to suicide another Sperwer to find the S300 because we know roughly where it is, and as much as I don't usually care about throwing away things (ask the guy lurking this thread that I've played Wargame with :v:) I want to at least have a reason for it. The bomb Frogs are because we're not getting paid and bombs are cheaper.

Also I just really want to take a giant steaming dump on that Tunguska okay??

power crystals fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 27, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm the big boxy subsonic standoff projectile that will be shot down in seconds once it enters Tunguska range. Save the Mjolnirs for the armor and especially BMPs imo, as long as SHORAD is up they'll be swatted down.

Tunguska warrants a HARM double tap imo.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 28, 2017

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Double the Numbers

Also, regarding refuelling, the thing that makes the most sense is to manually send aircraft to refuel at different times. Like, send the first one when it has 60% fuel, so when it gets back you can send the other and they both don't go and tank at one time. I don't know how to do this other than manually.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Voting for Double the Numbers

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Dreamsicle posted:

Voting for Double the Numbers

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2p0D5rHCw

Von Hoff is at the front! Word has it his troops had to keep him from grabbing a rifle and heading to the front lines himself. Crazy old man! Right now he's diverting troops from both flanks to shore this up. If the Bulgarians breakthrough here they'll have a perfect route for an armored advance right to the Namibian border. It's not game over, but we'll just have the west, and a tough road ahead.

pthighs posted:

Double the Numbers

Also, regarding refuelling, the thing that makes the most sense is to manually send aircraft to refuel at different times. Like, send the first one when it has 60% fuel, so when it gets back you can send the other and they both don't go and tank at one time. I don't know how to do this other than manually.

I can set two flights to the same mission area but each flight can have a different refuel profile. One can be 10%, the other 25%, and hopefully the staggering will help.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'd like to see us implement Operation Grognard as well as summon a lot of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Maybe I'm dumb, but how can it be considered close air support if we're flying at 30,000 feet above sea level? That don't seem close to me.

:ninja:edit I'm loving retarded. CAP is Combat Air Patrol.