Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm sure it's been brought up already but was that a frame by frame recreation of the sasquatch video in episode 11?

And angryholden sucks. He looks tiny and scrawny next to everyone else most of the time, and his angry face is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, did shirtless Amos have any tattoos on his chest?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

coyo7e posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up already but was that a frame by frame recreation of the sasquatch video in episode 11?

And angryholden sucks. He looks tiny and scrawny next to everyone else most of the time, and his angry face is bad.

He's like a little constipated toddler

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, did shirtless Amos have any tattoos on his chest?

I don't think so. It's hard to see how they'd even go about applying a photorealistic temporary tattoo.

Baronjutter posted:

He's like a little constipated toddler

True to the books.

Caliban's War posted:

Captain Holden, the cute one who was a little too full of himself, was staring at her, a not particularly flattering gape on his face. He looked like a very angry person who’d lost his train of thought mid-rant.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I don't think so. It's hard to see how they'd even go about applying a photorealistic temporary tattoo.

True to the books.

CG? It's just mentioned EVERYTIME someone sees him shirtless in the books.

And yeah, you guys are kinda mean to Holden in this thread, but the books are kinda merciless.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

AlternateAccount posted:

And yeah, you guys are kinda mean to Holden in this thread, but the books are kinda merciless.

I pray every night for Holden/Avasarala scenes next season.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You guys have pretty much spoilered it, but I've always wanted Chrissie to finally meet the crew face to face, and watch them finally interact. I guess that's coming somehow. She's finally in space, I guess they rescue her or something?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

You guys have pretty much spoilered it, but I've always wanted Chrissie to finally meet the crew face to face, and watch them finally interact.

Is that really any kind of spoiler? If you were writing a story that had characters that were initially separated, wouldn't you be at some point tempted or planning to bring them together?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Baronjutter posted:

You guys have pretty much spoilered it, but I've always wanted Chrissie to finally meet the crew face to face, and watch them finally interact. I guess that's coming somehow. She's finally in space, I guess they rescue her or something?

Caliban's War book stuff For sure, but it's not 100% like the books. They end up working together though to wrap up the overarching plot line of Book 2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

How the gently caress is that a spoiler?

I mean I'm usually on your side here as I think people talk way too much about the books, but holy poo poo if you can't see that being telegraphed from the get go.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

flosofl posted:

How the gently caress is that a spoiler?

I mean I'm usually on your side here as I think people talk way too much about the books, but holy poo poo if you can't see that being telegraphed from the get go.

I mean she did already meet the family. Might as well meet the idiot son.

Question: Was there a shot when the rocci was accelerating during or after the invader last episode where it blew past near Mao's ship? Or did I just see something that wasn't there? I'm not 100% sure on the timing but I thought it was after they ignited the monster but before they resolved the standoff on the yacht.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Pander posted:

Question: Was there a shot when the rocci was accelerating during or after the invader last episode where it blew past near Mao's ship? Or did I just see something that wasn't there? I'm not 100% sure on the timing but I thought it was after they ignited the monster but before they resolved the standoff on the yacht.

My recollection is that the Mao meetup took place somewhere in the orbits of the inner planets, so that seems highly unlikely to me.

There were definitely shots of Mao's ship with another more military-style ship in the background, but AFAIK that's supposed to be the UN ship Avasarala traveled to the rendezvous on.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I figured it was the ship that Mao was leaving on to hightail it back to Earth.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I figured it was the ship that Mao was leaving on to hightail it back to Earth.

That makes more sense.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
In hindsight, we didn't bitch nearly enough about that awful Epstein drive flashback stuff.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

In hindsight, we didn't bitch nearly enough about that awful Epstein drive flashback stuff.

well the amount of time we spent bitching about it is all relative

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Wasn't it just the one flashback of the dude thinking about how at least his family will be taken care of? That part seemed really weird and out of place with how it was presented. Maybe it's some sort of foreshadowing or something for later in the series.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

KakerMix posted:

Wasn't it just the one flashback of the dude thinking about how at least his family will be taken care of? That part seemed really weird and out of place with how it was presented. Maybe it's some sort of foreshadowing or something for later in the series.

It's just a short story with century old world background inexplicably crammed into the present day story line.

The Fred Johnson butcher of Anderson Station was also a background story outside the timeline, but at least they worked that into his introduction to the show.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Why was it awful? My wife's usually a good barometer for whether a scene works on a show like this or not because she's about 1000x less nerdy than anyone who'd post in this thread, and she liked those flashbacks.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Pander posted:

Why was it awful? My wife's usually a good barometer for whether a scene works on a show like this or not because she's about 1000x less nerdy than anyone who'd post in this thread, and she liked those flashbacks.

They served no narrative purpose and disrupted the actual narrative.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They were trying to make a point that new technology is dangerous and badly understood and lethal to its creators, but also impossible to contain and will one day be as unremarkable as electricity. I mean I dunno if it succeeded or if I buy it but it had an intended purpose.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Strategic Tea posted:

They were trying to make a point that new technology is dangerous and badly understood and lethal to its creators, but also impossible to contain and will one day be as unremarkable as electricity. I mean I dunno if it succeeded or if I buy it but it had an intended purpose.

I buy this.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Power armor Bobbie would have been more impressive of she had simply walked into the room and struck the crew with sick haymakers, folding them up and sending them ragdoll into the nearest bulkhead. Tossing people through the air is an overused wire effect that always looks hokey to me.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Snowman Crossing posted:

Tossing people through the air is an overused wire effect that always looks hokey to me.

Also, the slow motion. I think if there hadn't been slow-mo it would have been more brutal seeming, but it was part of that montage so *shrug*.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My thought on that: Slow motion to build up to it while she's walking in and before her presence is known. Then normal speed when she's casually one-handed tossing people brainpan first into the bulkhead.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I can't even think of many movies that have tried to do power armor extensively, apart from the obvious Iron Man

I guess GI joe had some stuff like that;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wNLAFiijxo&t=106s

Elysium had sort of a power armor as well

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Strategic Tea posted:

how did people missed this, it was what the entire episode was about

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Goons are bad at watching tv

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Finished a Caliban's War reread, i now realize the Naomi has a kid reveal happened waaaay early on the show. There's a "I don't want kids" thing in this book, but I don't think anything else more concrete happens until book five.

Probably smart to do it now and explicitly (but hidden from Holden) so that it doesn't seem completely out of nowhere down the road.

Snooze Cruise posted:

The flashback to a first person POV of a long dead historical character never mentioned before using a one and a half off device is a poor method to communicate this. They could have also inserted a cartoon about Smurfs teaching the same lesson, but that would have been extremely stupid, out of place, and completely unsynched to the rest of the show. This was like that, but less stupid and out of synch. I would have preferred zero on both scales.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

well the amount of time we spent bitching about it is all relative

Whatever happens on earth stays on earth

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The flashback to a first person POV of a long dead historical character never mentioned before using a one and a half off device is a poor method to communicate this. They could have also inserted a cartoon about Smurfs teaching the same lesson, but that would have been extremely stupid, out of place, and completely unsynched to the rest of the show. This was like that, but less stupid and out of synch. I would have preferred zero on both scales.

Euugh. Don't get me started. The flashbacks with the kid in the third last episode are almost as bad.

Let me twirl my moustache while talking about this cocoon I happened to pick up earlier, just in case I could make this speech about butterflies.

P.S. I'm evil.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If you can't appreciate villains who purposely pick up random objects so they can make evil speeches 2 scenes later you are no fun.

That is a baddie who knows his role in life.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
From the show-watcher's only perspective, who the gently caress is Caliban and why should I care about his war. I know they titled a book from the series, but why name a episode that if it's not explained?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm a show watcher as well. Its a tempest character, I haven't really thought about what it means or anything though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

R-Type posted:

From the show-watcher's only perspective, who the gently caress is Caliban and why should I care about his war. I know they titled a book from the series, but why name a episode that if it's not explained?

Are you serious?

It's clearly a reference to Caliban from The Tempest. The half-human/half-monster that Prospero tries to control/enslave because Caliban is too dangerous otherwise.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Caliban is from Shakespeare's The Tempest. He's a half human beast-man that was produced by some unholy magic bullshit, and is kept enslaved by the powers of a wizard.

With that in mind it should be pretty obvious.

E:f,b

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Goons are bad at literary references too, apparenty

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
to be fair to the goon i don't think most people would have got that, hell i barely remember who caliban is and i read tempest

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

R-Type posted:

Every single book is named after a classical/biblical/literary/obscure historical reference. You're a wretched goon, so you don't recognize even the obvious ones. So far every season of the TV show ends with an episode named after the book, but that episode covers events halfway through the book.

1. Leviathan Wakes - Leviathan in the bible is a huge sea monster. Leviathan here is the protomolecule on Eros, a huge space monster. The S1-ending TV show episode "Leviathan Wakes" features Eros being taken over by Leviathan and coming awake.

2. Caliban's War - Caliban is a character in Shakespeare's Tempest. He's half human, half devil. The protomonsters are half human, half promolecule/devil. There is also war over them. The S2-ending TV show episode "Caliban's War" features the small "war" between Caliban and the crew of the Rocinante, as well as the promolecule on Venus destroying the Arboghast as possible retaliation/reaction.

3. Abbadon's Gate - Biblical place of destruction/the dead. Something metaphorically appropriate happens as the plot of the book.

4. Cibola Burn - Cibola was the Spanish transliteration of a Zuni settlement that the conquistadors thought was one of the legendary seven cities of gold; they were disappointed with what they found there, built a church, which was burned down twice by the natives and the settlement subsequently permanently abandoned. Something fairly metaphorically appropriate happens as the plot of the book.

5. Nemesis Games - Nemesis was the ancient Greek goddess who inflicted inescapable doom on those guilty of hubris. Something extremely metaphorically appropriate happens as the plot of the book.

6. Babylon's Ashes - Babylon was the greatest city at various points of antiquity with great wonders like the Hanging Gardens, until it was conquered by the Persian empire and devastated/relegated to a backwater. The fallout of something extremely metaphorically appropriate that happens in the previous book is dealt with here.

7. Persepolis Rising (forthcoming) - Persepolis was the capital of the empire that rose after Babylon's fall. Presumably something metaphorically appropriate will happen in this book.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ophelia Stairs
Cassandra's Horoscope

• Locked thread