Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think this dark side stuff worked. Helix has done nothing worse than Team Arrow does all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

so was Helix working with Chase all along? or is this perhaps a hook for season 6, where Oliver takes on the cyber

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

howe_sam posted:

Why is Oliver running around in the goalie mask?

He forgot that he is filming Arrow and not Ninja Turtles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Despite the fact that I think the whole Helix thing was really weird and poorly done I kinda loved this episode and am super excited for next week's, but I assume I'm in the extreme minority in here given that I'm one of the few people who doesn't seem to have a seething hatred for Felicity.

howe_sam posted:

Why is Oliver running around in the goalie mask?

He's presumably still wanted by the cops. He's been wearing the black semi-regularly since Mayor Queen declared the Green Arrow an enemy of the city. And he was around cops like all the time this episode.

Carlosologist posted:

so was Helix working with Chase all along? or is this perhaps a hook for season 6, where Oliver takes on the cyber
I'm assuming Prometheus was targeting the Quiver on his own and it was just silly comic book timing that he made his move right as they tracked him down. That or he was waiting in the ceiling tiles for the most dramatically opportune moment to strike. Which actually sounds a lot like something Prometheus would do.

Which isn't to say that Helix aren't evil. Don't think I didn't notice that they never unmasked the guy they were rescuing, so I assume he's coming back into play later when they cast him or reveal him to be someone they already know. But I don't think they were with Prometheus. They did, after all, expose him in the first place which seemed to temporarily mess up his plans.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 27, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Felicity and Felicity's Friend (I'm not calling her Kojo) sure let a lot of Helix members die before turning off those turrets.

Or were they just supposed to be mercs again?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

Felicity and Felicity's Friend (I'm not calling her Kojo) sure let a lot of Helix members die before turning off those turrets.

Or were they just supposed to be mercs again?

Pretty sure they were just mercs.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think this dark side stuff worked. Helix has done nothing worse than Team Arrow does all the time.

Which is why Felicity is so hacked off with Ollie and Dig. Oliver's certainly right that working with Helix is a bad idea, but after all the morally compromised decisions he's made over the course of the show, it's either hypocrisy or hard-earned experience, and thanks to the writing it comes across more as the former than the latter.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Got some serious whiplash from this episode. Oliver and Digg moralizing to Lilah and Felicity is just hollow considering how many murders and other felonies the two of them have committed. Did enjoy family time with Lance and Wild Dog. I would watch a wacky office comedy spin off about those two running Star City.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Digg also had his brother in a black site.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Got some serious whiplash from this episode. Oliver and Digg moralizing to Lilah and Felicity is just hollow considering how many murders and other felonies the two of them have committed. Did enjoy family time with Lance and Wild Dog. I would watch a wacky office comedy spin off about those two running Star City.

Lance? You mean Hoss?

Totally agree with the last few posts regarding this episode though. Oliver drinking alone watching someone else going down his same path and knowingly having no moral authority to say anything.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 27, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Welp, while none of the three show's return-from-hiatus episodes were particularly good, this was still probably the most decent of the bunch. Even if the season A-plot of Prometheus didn't really progress until the last 30 seconds.

In the first half of this episode I was thinking "Aha! Finally this lame, Chekov's-hacktivist-group, Felicity b/c-plot will have repercussions!" but then the second half happened and they end up getting the tracking device anyway and Felicity just lost some fake friends. Kind of a wet fart.

Other things:
-Has Quentin Lance always pronounced "justice" as "JUSHTISH"? Is he becoming Sean Connery?
-Why bother taking the front emblem off a car for a TV show if it's a car as recognizable as a Ford Mustang?
-I did appreciate the detail that Felicity went about 1/4th to 1/3rd Goth for this escapade.
-"HEY LET'S ALL RUSH THE SENTRY GUN AND--fhufbjfdfjnfsdnf..."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
This episode was grueling. I skipped over most of the cry talking.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
"drat it, don't you understand having black sites where we hold prisoners without a lawyer or the justice system is totally wrong? Now then. I need to go talk with Slade and Boomerang in their cells on a lovely island in the middle of nowhere."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mortanis posted:

"drat it, don't you understand having black sites where we hold prisoners without a lawyer or the justice system is totally wrong? Now then. I need to go talk with Slade and Boomerang in their cells on a lovely island in the middle of nowhere."

Digg was the one mad about that though, not Oliver.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Mortanis posted:

Hold on someone escaped from no lunch gitmo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EconOutlines posted:

Totally agree with the last few posts regarding this episode though. Oliver drinking alone watching someone else going down his same path and knowingly having no moral authority to say anything.

Who gives a poo poo about moral authority, he's literally saying "don't do the things I've done you'll regret it like I do" and Felicity's reaction is "YOU DID THOSE THINGS HOW DARE YOU CALL ME OUT ON IT"

it makes zero sense and Felicity is once again a huge whiny idiot

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Looks like we have more flashbacks in our future. http://io9.gizmodo.com/arrow-just-cant-let-go-of-flashbacks-1794703720

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Not really a surprise. In fact:

“That said, the flashbacks have worked so well on the show, they’re not going to be gone forever. We’re obviously not going to be going back to Lian Yu and we’re not going to be telling the story of the five years that Oliver was gone, but we might get some glimpses into the backstories of other characters, which would be really fun.”

That bolded part was something people in this thread predicted and thought might be kinda cool if done well. We'll see. The person who wrote that article seems aggressively negative about it.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Chokes McGee posted:

Who gives a poo poo about moral authority, he's literally saying "don't do the things I've done you'll regret it like I do" and Felicity's reaction is "YOU DID THOSE THINGS HOW DARE YOU CALL ME OUT ON IT"

it makes zero sense and Felicity is once again a huge whiny idiot

To be fair this is the 100th time he has used that line which lets him have his cake and eat it too.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'm betting they go with Dinah flashbacks, since we only know the basics of her back story with her partner as a cop.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wasn't bothered by the inherent hypocrisy about the moral dilemmas in this episode because:

A) They acknowledged it like a dozen times and it's why Oliver and Dig lost every argument.
B) They weren't really as upset by the action itself as they were about who was doing them.
C) Oliver clearly was wallowing in the guilt that he didn't have a moral leg to stand on and was basically responsible for the entire basis for Felicity's justification.
D) As Dig said, this is the conflict that broke up his and Lyla's first marriage. And fairly the idea of crossing the line once and awhile is different from becoming Amanda Waller.

So like it was a lot of rehash but it was stuff totally character and tonally consistent. But it was character and tone stuff this thread hates so I totally get why people don't like this episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could tell Felicity was doing something bad because she switched to heavy black eye makeup

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Guy Goodbody posted:

You could tell Felicity was doing something bad because she switched to heavy black eye makeup

Goth felicity is the evil felicity but overall i am enjoying this season.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I wasn't bothered by the inherent hypocrisy about the moral dilemmas in this episode because:

A) They acknowledged it like a dozen times and it's why Oliver and Dig lost every argument.
B) They weren't really as upset by the action itself as they were about who was doing them.
C) Oliver clearly was wallowing in the guilt that he didn't have a moral leg to stand on and was basically responsible for the entire basis for Felicity's justification.
D) As Dig said, this is the conflict that broke up his and Lyla's first marriage. And fairly the idea of crossing the line once and awhile is different from becoming Amanda Waller.

So like it was a lot of rehash but it was stuff totally character and tonally consistent. But it was character and tone stuff this thread hates so I totally get why people don't like this episode.

I agree with you, except the "character and tone stuff this thread hates" because I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I found that line with Ollie and Digg on the rooftop where one of them says something like "I don't understand a world where both Felicity Smoak and Lyla cross the line"--or something to that effect--was very telling.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Longbaugh01 posted:

-I did appreciate the detail that Felicity went about 1/4th to 1/3rd Goth for this escapade.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I agree with you, except the "character and tone stuff this thread hates" because I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I just meant that so many people in here hate Felicity and relationship drama and "cry talking" and Oliver's "do as I say, not as I do" thing and want him to go back to murdering people willy nilly that it totally makes sense that those people would hate an episode entirely about relationship drama, moral debates, and Oliver trying to get Felicity to not act like him.

quote:

I found that line with Ollie and Digg on the rooftop where one of them says something like "I don't understand a world where both Felicity Smoak and Lyla cross the line"--or something to that effect--was very telling.
Yeah, its the basic moment that they both acknowledge that they really have no moral leg to stand on but they're just both a little guilt ridden and shaken by the idea that they're both helpless to stop, and more than a little responsible for, these women they thought were better than them doing things they think cross the line. No one had the high ground this episode and that exchange summed it up. They had all long ago "crossed the line" and couldn't stop it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LongDarkNight posted:

Got some serious whiplash from this episode. Oliver and Digg moralizing to Lilah and Felicity is just hollow considering how many murders and other felonies the two of them have committed.

It's not so much what they've done in the past, it's that Oliver's argument runs along the lines of;

"DON'T DO WHAT I DID, YOU"LL REGRET IT."

*Oliver runs off and kills like, 30 people"

"SEE? I TOTALLY REGRETTED THAT."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, there's some clear "we've been here before" at play but in fairness they've gone to great lengths with the Prometheus story to try and convince us that this time Oliver really, really does regret everything he's done and desperately wants to change. So within that context it makes all kinds of sense that he'd want to stop Felicity from making his mistakes, all in the name of dealing with the problem that Oliver's mistakes made. Which Oliver spelled out like 3 times.

But, he's been here before which is why Felicity sees it as yet another "I make the hard decisions so you don't have to" speech he's been giving for five years.

Whether this time REALLY is different and REALLY is affecting Oliver more than ever is really only something we'll see in time. But so far he seems to be holding to it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I just meant that so many people in here hate Felicity and relationship drama and "cry talking"...it totally makes sense that those people would hate an episode entirely about relationship drama...

Honestly, I gave the Felicity character the benefit of the doubt this episode writing-wise and I think it worked for me. My only complaint was that there didn't seem to be any consequences for her decision besides "aww they weren't really my friends/comrades, they were just using me *frowny face*". Yeah I know there may be more consequences down the road (and maybe Helix did just help Prometheus), but I felt there needed to be something more than what there was within the confines of this episode.

I didn't notice any cry-talking though, and while there was "relationship drama" technically, the stuff between Ollie/Felicity and Diggle/Lyla came across to me as just two sets of adults that are close, having to re-evaluate what they thought the other person was capable of, and maybe realize they're not the special-unique-greater-good-takes-a-toll-sacrificeblahblahblah-snowflakes that they thought they were. Which honestly, is punching above its weight for this show, even in this season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was cool with it (even if I agree it was kind of a loftier philosophical idea than they nailed) I'm just saying some people in here are hyper sensitive about this stuff and REALLY hate anything close to what we got.

Like I said, I really enjoyed this episode and am super hyped for next week. Which people are going to HATE because its going to be Oliver and Felicity trapped and dying and expressing their feelings. And definite "cry talking."

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

Like I said, I really enjoyed this episode and am super hyped for next week. Which people are going to HATE because...

Oh poo poo. I don't get to watch previews usually, so it's a bottle episode? Ughhh. Sometimes I wish that would be retired from television writing, but then once in a while you get a gem like Breaking Bad's "Fly".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not based on previews but like, this episode ended with Oliver and Felicity having a serious conversation about their relationship and morals when the whole place caved in on them. So odds are next week will be about them trying to stay alive long enough for the rest of the team to get them out. Which means lots of heart to hearts.

But also I did watch the preview and it specifically shows that it was an EMP attack which cripples Felicity's spine implant making her helpless, and lots of "cry talking."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I'd forgotten that Felicity had the same thing as Ray from Archer

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
"Thank you, hoss" was the best line of the episode.

I didn't mind the episode. But I'm curious if Kaidan James is supposed to be a recognizable comics name because with them not showing his face at all and the implication that Helix will be a big bad for S6, I can see them wanting him to be a big role, but haven't casted him yet.

Also, no one let Dig know about Team Flash's "no lawyer, no due process, no justice" Super-Max lock up.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'd hate to have a hacker team be the big bad of a season. It's already incredibly dull when they have a hacker vs hacker fight in the show already. Lights flashing, crazy screensavers, and suddenly sparks start flying from random desks just to force some hype at people pounding keyboards and shouting about "they are in the firewall!" or "on noes, they deployed a virus *lights flicker faster*"

This show does best when they stick to the practical effects.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sir Potato posted:

"Thank you, hoss" was the best line of the episode.

I didn't mind the episode. But I'm curious if Kaidan James is supposed to be a recognizable comics name because with them not showing his face at all and the implication that Helix will be a big bad for S6, I can see them wanting him to be a big role, but haven't casted him yet.

When they didn't unmask him at first I was expecting it to be some other bad guy Argus had locked up and we knew, and that being a big consequence of Helix's actions. Whoops. Freed the prisoner from the black site.

Since they didn't go that way and presumably had him be the real hacker I assume they just kept him off camera so they weren't locked into an actor. It could mean they have plans for Helix next season or maybe they were just keeping their options open.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Burning_Monk posted:

I'd hate to have a hacker team be the big bad of a season. It's already incredibly dull when they have a hacker vs hacker fight in the show already. Lights flashing, crazy screensavers, and suddenly sparks start flying from random desks just to force some hype at people pounding keyboards and shouting about "they are in the firewall!" or "on noes, they deployed a virus *lights flicker faster*"

This show does best when they stick to the practical effects.

maybe the computers will form into a human-sized karate fighter like the bees in that one episode, so oliver will have something to do

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Maybe this super hacker will also be someone who is a big reveal and has history with someone on Team Arrow. I'd say Felicity's ex, but that seems boring and I totally forgot what happened to him anyway.

I'm hoping it isn't the case, but I'm guessing the Deathstroke comeback tour will be a one-and-done. :(

Sir Potato posted:

Also, no one let Dig know about Team Flash's "no lawyer, no due process, no justice" Super-Max lock up.

We need a classic DiggReaction.gif for this stat.

Burning_Monk posted:

My friend, let me tell you about a cinematic masterpiece titled...Hackers...

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Maybe this super hacker will also be someone who is a big reveal and has history with someone on Team Arrow. I'd say Felicity's ex, but that seems boring and I totally forgot what happened to him anyway.

oh, god

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked the episode, especially the Wild Dog and Hoss parts. Oliver probably could have leaned on "Yes, I have done, and will continue to do things I think are bad, but I've just recently come to terms with the fact that I was, and sorta still am a serial killer" a little better.

Also, I'm looking forward to lyla_was_right.mp4

Helix may or not be a big bad, but Kojo probably will be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He could be Brother Eye/Felicity's ex but the timing is off I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Longbaugh01 posted:

Aphrodite posted:

He could be Brother Eye/Felicity's ex but the timing is off I think.

That hacker ex-boyfriend guy died towards the end of season 4. Damien Dahrk recruited him to be his hacker so he could set off all the world's nukes or whatever. (Dahrk used magic to put something in his spine that was slowly and painfully killing him so that he would be motivated to have all the nukes go off and grant him a quick explosiony death instead) And then at some point he failed or was convinced to stop by Felicity or something and Dahrk busted in and killed him

• Locked thread