Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Are you sure it's not user error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The restore process isn't perfect. Might not be their fault. iPhone has always excelled here.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I was doing it while going through steps with Google support and wasn't exactly taking my time. gently caress it.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

clamiam45 posted:

I guess Samsung's quality review process is just poo poo because I had the exact opposite experience with everything.

Have you used any device outside of botnet Chinese android phones or other Samsung products? Scrolling fast in Instgram or Tumblr would frame-drop to the point of being alarmingly close to single digit frames. I'd end up with 30% battery with less than 4 hours of SOT in a full LTE area in the middle of los Angeles county.

Also, there are numerous threads on every nerd forum describing the noticeably worse bluetooth range than the S7E and consistently drop and re-pair issues with bluetooth speakers.

But, I guess for nearly a thousand dollars I should have to reduce the screen resolution, keep the brightness as low as possible and try not to do anything intensive on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Playing around with my MXP that I still haven't gotten around to selling.

You know what my ideal Pixel 2 would be? The MXP with 835, USB-C, and a fingerprint sensor where the Moto dimple is (and of course the current Pixel's camera and optimizations). drat I still really like this phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

You know what my ideal Pixel 2 would be? The MXP with 835, USB-C, and a fingerprint sensor where the Moto dimple is (and of course the current Pixel's camera and optimizations). drat I still really like this phone.

Yeah I liked my MXP, mainly because of the good speakers, the always-on voice commands, and the solid design, but they weren't staying up to date with OS or security patches. The bamboo backplate was tits.

I ended up giving it to my mother, who still had the N5 I gave her when I bought the MXP and was starting to regularly get pissed at it being old and feeble. She replaced the battery in it, which is impressive though.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The MXP was one of the best phones around and it was so cheap! Too bad I obliterated the screen with a face-down impact on gravel :sweatdrop:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I loved the hell out of my MXP right up until I dropped it and cracked the screen. This, obviously, was not a fault of the phone. It had probably the best quad HD LCD to grace a phone and felt amazing in hand.

I got my X Pure from Best Buy for like $220; an amazing steal at the time. I do still miss its IR blasters on the front that recognized hand waves, as well as the chop-to-flash and twist-to-cam motions. The Moto Z Play is probably the closest approximation to the X Pure right now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I use my old 5X at work as a test device and I still miss it. The pixel is is a fantastic phone but there were a lot of really nice things about the 5X. I know everyone will disagree with this, but I really liked its plastic case. It felt really nice to hold and it was light and soft and mist importantly not slick as gently caress.

But my favorite thing was the screen size, 5.2 feels totally perfect. 5 is a little small, and bigphones are way too big for my taste.

I'm pretty sure its fingerprint scanner was faster too, though that may be placebo because it had a really satisfying jolt on success or failure that the pixel lacks imo.

I really don't get the hype behind "premium" bodies on phones I guess. Reviewers always pan plastic bodies but to me when done right they feel better in the hand. Maybe because I never really beat up my phones so I don't see the difference in scratch or bend resistance. Obviously bad ones are still bad though, the N5 for example had an awful plastic body.

I'd pay good money for pixel hardware in a 5X-like body.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I loved the hell out of my MXP right up until I dropped it and cracked the screen. This, obviously, was not a fault of the phone. It had probably the best quad HD LCD to grace a phone and felt amazing in hand.

I got my X Pure from Best Buy for like $220; an amazing steal at the time. I do still miss its IR blasters on the front that recognized hand waves, as well as the chop-to-flash and twist-to-cam motions. The Moto Z Play is probably the closest approximation to the X Pure right now.

Yeah, there was something very pleasing about that LCD.

I actually have a Moto Z (non-play) as a spare phone right now because of the $120 Black Friday deal. It's it's close, but the flat back, lack of dual front facing speakers, and unfortunate chin area don't quite do it. Also, it's a Verizon phone which I felt was a step back from completely unbranded.

At least it's mostly up to date. Nougat and up to the March 1st patch. They've been pushing security patches to it near the end of the month for the past few months so it's up to date for at least a few days a month. Not really so far off the Pixel timing if you are at the tail end of the push.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The worst thing about my Moto X Style was that i had to get it repaired two times (one broken screen and to preserve warranty i let Motorola do it and a second time cause the replacement screen had stuck pixel) which for some reason disabled the functionality to unlock the bootloader or get OTAs.
I could only install updates by manually flashing them and the only way to unlock the bootloader would have been to replace the phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

The restore process isn't perfect. Might not be their fault. iPhone has always excelled here.

I have to agree with RZA here. Honestly even if ShoogaSlim hit the wrong button or something, I still blame Google for the process being so lovely to begin with.

eta:

Should've waited to read the Pixel 2 wishes before replying to this but Taffer said something that's unpopular that I really agree with. While I like the back of the Pixel and its glass/metal feel (it reminds me so much of the Nexus One in the hand) the phone I still think felt the best was the plastic-bodied Nexus S.

I'm sure if I still had one around I'd find it too small but I loved the clickiness of the buttons (can't remember if they wobbled though) and the slick as gently caress black soapbar might've been easy to drop but that device never got a scratch on it. Another device I never owned but always thought was a great design was the Samsung Galaxy S3 which was another all-plastic device but it had organic curves and was mostly sold in a nice blue color that really made it look less like technology and more like natural object (something Samsung must've believed too with their dandelion wallpaper).

Like I said, probably an unpopular opinion but I can't help but feel the current iPhone copycatting of smooth aluminum with antenna lines is really dull both visually and texturally compared to the best of the plastic era.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 27, 2017

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Ended up buying a 128gb pixel off ebay, fair bit cheaper than either the s8 or a new one. Hopefully it being used for a few months won't make it be poo poo

^^^ yeah it's a shame no one tried to copy the polycarbonate on the nokias, maybe there was an issue there though.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 27, 2017

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Am I right in assuming that Google Assistant still hasn't rolled out in the UK, or has my 6P got stuck somehow?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I don't think anyone posted this here:

Samsung's solution is to replace all obviously defective and miscalibrated phones and apologize to inconvenienced consumers.

LOL NO

Their solution is to continue shipping miscalibrated phones due to poor yield on the screens and add color calibration settings in a future update that maybe the carriers will choose to send out one day so that the users can calibrate their devices themselves like the idiots they are.

They probably just have the blue light filter turned on

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Taffer posted:

How the hell do I stop Google from giving me a notification about the place I'm already at? Besides the fact that it's totally useless (I'm already there, I don't need a review or pictures), recently it has been spamming me about places in not even near. Right now it's giving me one for a restaurant that's 2.5 blocks away. Sometimes it gives me them for places I'm driving past. The notification never expires, it stays until dismissed, even if I left the place hours ago.
I'm not certain, but I believe you can turn that off in Maps by going to Settings > Notifications > Your contributions

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Taffer posted:

I use my old 5X at work as a test device and I still miss it. The pixel is is a fantastic phone but there were a lot of really nice things about the 5X. I know everyone will disagree with this, but I really liked its plastic case. It felt really nice to hold and it was light and soft and mist importantly not slick as gently caress.

But my favorite thing was the screen size, 5.2 feels totally perfect. 5 is a little small, and bigphones are way too big for my taste.

I'm pretty sure its fingerprint scanner was faster too, though that may be placebo because it had a really satisfying jolt on success or failure that the pixel lacks imo.

I really don't get the hype behind "premium" bodies on phones I guess. Reviewers always pan plastic bodies but to me when done right they feel better in the hand. Maybe because I never really beat up my phones so I don't see the difference in scratch or bend resistance. Obviously bad ones are still bad though, the N5 for example had an awful plastic body.

I'd pay good money for pixel hardware in a 5X-like body.
I liked plastic too. Cheap, durable, and it's going in a case anyway so who cares how it "feels". But I think the real reason they go metal is they can make the casing a bit thinner than with plastic.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is there a goon consensus on the best Android TV/Media box?

Got to have features:
-Kodi
-has a simple/fast interface that doesn't require a ton of tweaking to make work (polished)
-can run most android apps (can install VLC so I can be sure it will play any movie format I want)
-decent enough processing power that it's not going to bog down watching a HD movie
-has a decent remote that isn't going to break after the first week

Bonus Features:
-bluetooth so I can use a mouse or keyboard
-has ongoing support so newer versions of Android are being installed
-lots of usb ports as opposed to the Roku bare-bones "you can have one"
-could be used as a PVR should the need arise
-enough horsepower that I can watch a movie and have a browser/torrent running in the background without causing everything to grind to a halt.

I've been reading Amazon reviews, but stuff like this I really don't trust, as I'm sure they have been heavily spammed. I've been reading up in different Android forums, but they seem to be constantly nitpicking over different features I would never use, and ignoring how good/bad of a media box it is. Half the review sites seem to either give everything 5 out of 5 stars, or the only downside they list is something like, "the default remote could be better".

***Under $100 if Possible***

\/ Yeah, that's a beast that I'd definitely trust, but I was hoping for something smaller and cheaper.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 27, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shield TV

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well lookie here: Google's looking into trusted places.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I always thought it wasn't that great an idea in general, unless you were setting up a real life modern fantasy plot point or something.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I do wish they'd just add a trusted WiFi network

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Didn't they used to have this? I feel like I had it on my old galaxy s6e but I was annoyed when I couldn't do it on my galaxy s8

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

nerdrum posted:

Have you used any device outside of botnet Chinese android phones or other Samsung products? Scrolling fast in Instgram or Tumblr would frame-drop to the point of being alarmingly close to single digit frames. I'd end up with 30% battery with less than 4 hours of SOT in a full LTE area in the middle of los Angeles county.

Also, there are numerous threads on every nerd forum describing the noticeably worse bluetooth range than the S7E and consistently drop and re-pair issues with bluetooth speakers.

But, I guess for nearly a thousand dollars I should have to reduce the screen resolution, keep the brightness as low as possible and try not to do anything intensive on it.

Yeah I currently use an iphone 7+ and an s8+. They have the same performance/snappiness/whatever. Thanks for asking.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vyst posted:

Didn't they used to have this? I feel like I had it on my old galaxy s6e but I was annoyed when I couldn't do it on my galaxy s8

It used to be possible via 3rd party apps, so it's quite possible Samsung had it too natively, but something changed around ics (maybe jb?) that made them all stop working

You can still do it with root these days but it's a bit hacky

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, Samsung Galaxy S8 is the first phone with Bluetooth 5 in it, which is supposed to double the range. This is pretty important for me, because I've had like 10 different models of LG Tone headsets and they all cut out on me. Phone is in my front pants pocket and headset is on my neck.

My question is, wouldn't both the phone and the headset need to support BT 5 to get the range benefit? And are there any BT 5 headsets in existence yet, or announced?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

So, Samsung Galaxy S8 is the first phone with Bluetooth 5 in it, which is supposed to double the range. This is pretty important for me, because I've had like 10 different models of LG Tone headsets and they all cut out on me. Phone is in my front pants pocket and headset is on my neck.
Sounds like you're just buying garbage devices. You shouldn't need Bluetooth 5 to get from your pockets to your head.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sounds like you're just buying garbage devices. You shouldn't need Bluetooth 5 to get from your pockets to your head.

You'd think that, but I guess it's actually super-hard for Bluetooth to punch through water. If I'm on a bicycle (which I am for at least an hour each day), it'll cut out every time I stop with my foot on that pedal resting in the higher position.

I mean it's done this to me for years for many different models of phones and headsets... I think it's just a physics thing so I'm hoping BT5 might give it the extra oomph.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Maybe you should stop submersing your devices in water and then maybe the bluetooth will work

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Maybe you should stop submersing your devices in water and then maybe the bluetooth will work

Or being near a water bottle, or being made up of 80% water.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Sounds like either Zero VGS is a Mer-man, or is wearing some sort of water pants. Either way, sounds like a fringe case.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah, I've been able to walk about 60 feet from my iPad with my Beats x and have perfect signal. I wouldn't just say it's Bluetooth.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Why the gently caress would you ask me for the IMEI of my phone when I already told you it won't charge, is dead, and won't power on?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Same problem with 3-4 different premium BT headset and 3-4 different Nexus/Pixel devices.

gently caress bluetooth while cycling. It just don't work.

Same combo will work fine at 30-50 ft if its sitting on my desk at work.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 28, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sounds like either Zero VGS is a Mer-man, or is wearing some sort of water pants. Either way, sounds like a fringe case.

How much water would you say makes up your person? If you have your phone where the BT signal is going through your squishy innards on the way to your head that can kill the signal pretty well.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Skarsnik posted:

I haven't investigated this at all but wouldn't this basically require that your screen lock be keyed to a device that is blasting out all the trivially-spoofable info you'd need to impersonate it 24/7?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

syscall girl posted:

How much water would you say makes up your person? If you have your phone where the BT signal is going through your squishy innards on the way to your head that can kill the signal pretty well.

Does Mt Dew and boxed wine count as water?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does Mt Dew and boxed wine count as water?

For my purposes, yeah

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ilkhan posted:

Same problem with 3-4 different premium BT headset and 3-4 different Nexus/Pixel devices.

gently caress bluetooth while cycling. It just don't work.

Same combo will work fine at 30-50 ft if its sitting on my desk at work.

Maybe your cycling shorts are just made out of metal :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

Why the gently caress would you ask me for the IMEI of my phone when I already told you it won't charge, is dead, and won't power on?

Check the box. Usually it has the IMEI and S/N on a sticker (on most phone packaging anyways).