Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The only way to get over racism is to make jokes about it. Not white fragility though; that's not funny and just complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is it. This is Peak.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/the-red-line-daily-racial-transformation-marta/Uowu4tz4U1Qv2SLUFAIqQM/

quote:

Taking the MARTA train from the mostly white northern suburbs down to the airport captures a cross section of the racial makeup, and divide, that exists in Atlanta.

As my fellow white passengers and I pull out of North Springs station, we add more white passengers at the next few stations as we pull toward Buckhead. As we enter the heart of the city, African-Americans begin entering the train, and at Five Points, the racial makeup of the train has flipped to predominantly African-American.

I watch as the African-American passengers entering the train look for seats next to other African-Americans, and I watch white passengers seek out other white seat mates. I see the uncomfortable looks of white people who think the black kid dressed like a gang member is going to sit next them, and then the sigh of relief as he passes by.

Mostly, it is then that I notice differences between the people who joined me at my embarkation and the people who have joined in the city. It’s not uncommon for me to watch an impromptu hip hop performance as the train treks south, a performance replete with phrases about violence, sex and race.

The language changes, with poor grammar and offensive profanity being expelled by these groups of passengers, speaking loudly to be heard by everyone, almost as if they must exhibit some cultural difference to a captive audience to make sure they are seen and heard.

The behavior can seem aggressive, with the occasional comment from one of the African-Americans, “Man, we gotta chill. These crackers don’t like that [expletive].” I absolutely feel like an outsider. There is nothing I can say. There is nothing I can do.

Inside, I want to tell them that we are all alike, that sharing constructive conversations and experiences is what builds a bridge to understanding. The hard-core profanity, the unsavory references to females and the derogatory names for white people just force the bridge to be longer.

Of course, this does not represent all African-Americans, in the city or even on the train, but this is not an uncommon experience on my MARTA journey. As I trek down the city, I see the racial differences, see the divides, hear the pain in the rap songs and conversations.

As the train crosses Auburn Avenue, I often wonder what MLK Jr would like to have experienced on the MARTA train in 2017.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

There isn't a facepalm big enough.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Has the word "crackers" ever been used in a story that wasn't STDH

Edit: Didn't even catch the "unsavory references to f e m a l e s at first. Thank you for defending our honor, I and the other fe-males appreciate it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I was really hoping it was going to end with "and I realized that mixing cultures is a good and special trait of America" but I should have known better.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cis autodrag posted:

I was really hoping it was going to end with "and I realized that mixing cultures is a good and special trait of America" but I should have known better.

Hey now, he's all about the brotherhood of man. It's just black people need to be less offputting to white suburbanites on their way to the airport for us to achieve it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

there wolf posted:

Hey now, he's all about the brotherhood of man. It's just black people need to be less offputting to white suburbanites on their way to the airport for us to achieve it.

Brotherhood of man but no brothers of the hood man.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gaunab posted:

The only way to get over racism is to make jokes about it. Not white fragility though; that's not funny and just complaining.
This is so dumb because as a white person white-deriding humor is always the funniest poo poo. I mean you'd think it's obvious with how shitstainy they've been over so long, but half the fun is watching half the white people get *real mad* at the most approachable social commentary.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

As a white person in the Negrotown thread, I

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Dear White People premiered on Netflix yesterday, and I binged the whole thing. I think it's a decent watch, but not without its issues. I could have done without the appearance of straw feminists in every few episodes, alongside the constant theme of "women are their own worst enemy in the fight for equality" that pervades the whole of Coco's plotline, and I'm not sure how I feel about there being an episode centered around the white guy. The plotline involving the teacher in a homosexual relationship having a hetero affair with Troy was also unfortunate. That said, the narrator's sardonicism was positively delightful, and Lionel's treatment on the whole was, in my opinion, an improvement over his portrayal in the movie. Anyone else check it out yet?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Plom Bar posted:

Dear White People premiered on Netflix yesterday, and I binged the whole thing. I think it's a decent watch, but not without its issues. I could have done without the appearance of straw feminists in every few episodes, alongside the constant theme of "women are their own worst enemy in the fight for equality" that pervades the whole of Coco's plotline, and I'm not sure how I feel about there being an episode centered around the white guy. The plotline involving the teacher in a homosexual relationship having a hetero affair with Troy was also unfortunate. That said, the narrator's sardonicism was positively delightful, and Lionel's treatment on the whole was, in my opinion, an improvement over his portrayal in the movie. Anyone else check it out yet?

I want to. It sounds like it's similar to the movie in that it's enjoyable overall but has some things that will annoy the hell out of me.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
e: i misunderstood.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 2, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

I hadn't embarked on a sojourn to Hartsfield International Airport in a fortnight. With trepidation I would board the people carrier, but I knew that if I would be accosted I must act without hesitation. I had prepared well in advance. Headphones at the ready, my cellular communication device had been set to display Spotify, loaded for bear with a radio station based on the works of UGK.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The cop who shot in the back and murdered Walter Scott has pled guilty to a federal civil rights violation charge, with a maximum sentence of life in prison. This is a better outcome than I'd expected after the initial jury deadlock and mistrial he initially got. (How does a jury deadlock when you can literally watch a video where the cop is shooting an unarmed, fleeing man to death? Oh right, racist white jurors :downs:.)

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/05/cop-filmed-shooting-fleeing-man-pleads-guilty-to-civil-rights-charge/

I'm disappointed it is on the civil rights violation charge and not the actual murder charge, as the murder charge would have meant a minimum of 30 years to life, and the charge he is pleading guilty to does not have such a minimum sentence. It won't bring Scott (or Garner, or Castile, or Brown, or any other victims of police) back, but at least this rear end in a top hat will never get a badge and gun again.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

On the flip side of that they killed one of our children again and the murderer of Alton Sterling will walk as well.

gently caress this country.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Fluffdaddy posted:

On the flip side of that they killed one of our children again and the murderer of Alton Sterling will walk as well.

gently caress this country.

The shooting of Jordan Edwards is super hosed up. This quote from the Dallas Morning News is incredible (in a bad way): "The police account of what happened next changed after Police Chief Jonathan Haber watched body-cam footage of the shooting." It's not surprising that they would immediately back the cop's version, but maybe watch the loving footage first.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What the gently caress is this???

Karen Handel is running for congress in Atlanta's 6th district. Her husband retweeted this, and though it was removed and the account that he retweeted was hidden, well this is the internet and people save images all the time for posterity. This is what we're dealing with because John Ossoff missed out on 2 final percent points to prevent being contested.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That's what happens when this

tries some political outreach. Ossoff won handily in the black and Latino precincts and the race is close enough for someone, in this case Handel's husband, to try some ham-handed outreach on what their white friends think black people need to know.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

there wolf posted:

That's what happens when this

tries some political outreach. Ossoff won handily in the black and Latino precincts and the race is close enough for someone, in this case Handel's husband, to try some ham-handed outreach on what their white friends think black people need to know.

Whitesplaining has been the absolute worst lately. White people on the left and the right spend a ton of time telling POC what they should or shouldn't do and 0 time listening to what our concerns actually are. It's baffling and exhausting and bullshit.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

:siren:ATLANTA: THE CITY TO BUSY TO HATE:siren:

https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/860010502352777216

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 4, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They sure as gently caress saved Spain from boring-rear end church architecture and lame guitars.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm the Hard-Core Profanity. LMAO

Good stuff. :)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Edward Crawford has been found shot dead in his car. He's the 3rd prominent Ferguson activist to be found dead in a similar situation. Edit: Just read an updated article that said he was in the backseat of a car while it was in motion with 2 women in the front & died from a self inflicted wound. So not as sketchy as Darren Seals, just loving tragic.

In case the name doesn't ring a bell, this is him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

highme fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 5, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

highme posted:

Edward Crawford has been found shot dead in his car. He's the 3rd prominent Ferguson activist to be found dead in a similar situation. Edit: Just read an updated article that said he was in the backseat of a car while it was in motion with 2 women in the front & died from a self inflicted wound. So not as sketchy as Darren Seals, just loving tragic.

In case the name doesn't ring a bell, this is him.

funny how all these prominent black activists and Judges are killing themselves lately

guess black people are just really really depressed! :iiam:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Race Realists posted:

funny how all these prominent black activists and Judges are killing themselves lately

guess black people are just really really depressed! :iiam:

The judge may be suspicious, but if Crawford really shot himself while two other people were in the car I don't think we should disrespect their trauma by spinning conspiracy theories.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Was there anything particularly suspicious about the judge? Most the conspiracy stuff I saw was based on people who knew her saying "but she seemed so happy" which is not really that uncharacteristic for people who take their own life.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Patrick Spens posted:

Was there anything particularly suspicious about the judge? Most the conspiracy stuff I saw was based on people who knew her saying "but she seemed so happy" which is not really that uncharacteristic for people who take their own life.

Yeah I haven't seen any reason to think there was foul play in that one either, but there weren't witnesses like there were for Crawford.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On being told not to say "blacks"

FizFashizzle posted:

Is that really all you took out of it? That the guy who spent most of his life living in east Atlanta just sees black people as a color? I'm on lunch now, but I'll tell all the low income African Americans I'm working with on a Saturday at a my job at a nonprofit rehab hospital not to think well of me. Cause I used the less politically correct term on a message board.

I will be far more careful to use the correct terms when describing the political calculus of amoral monsters in the future.

bbbbbbut I've met black people! :qq:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Was that the dude who spent pages clumsily busting out every SAT vocab word he could remember to explain why using "blacks" instead of "black people" (despite having been asked nicely to stop) was because he was all about economy of language? Good times.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

Was that the dude who spent pages clumsily busting out every SAT vocab word he could remember to explain why using "blacks" instead of "black people" (despite having been asked nicely to stop) was because he was all about economy of language? Good times.

Nah this is a fresh one from USPOL. What's the story with that dude?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Nah this is a fresh one from USPOL. What's the story with that dude?

It was in a USPOL thread from before everything went to poo poo, I believe. A bunch of us spent the better part of an afternoon arguing with/laughing at him. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same dude, he didn't seem like the type to actually learn anything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Of course it's not okay in normal conversations, but I've seen "blacks" used in place of black people in academic research quite a bit. Usually it's demographic research and the same paper will use Hispanics, Asians, whites and such. In the interest of getting some perspective, what are you guys' take on it?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vegetable posted:

Of course it's not okay in normal conversations, but I've seen "blacks" used in place of black people in academic research quite a bit. Usually it's demographic research and the same paper will use Hispanics, Asians, whites and such. In the interest of getting some perspective, what are you guys' take on it?

Academic and journalistic writing favors a terse style that makes that usage common. I don't like it, but we can't change it until most people recognize that it's offensive to reduce somebody to an adjective.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

"The blacks"
"The whites"
"The gays"
"The cripples"

That pattern is hella dismissive.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Anyone have any thoughts on The Handmaid's Tale choosing to not depict the patriarchal, theocratic government as white supremacist as it is in the book? The exec producer has a weakass argument about how fertility > * in the TV depiction, and then argues that it would've been too much to tackle misogyny and race.

The more complicated and stickier argument is that, if true to source material, the show would be 100% lily white; by ignoring the white supremacy angle, they can include black women and their stories (which, uh, has its own issues in logic). The interviews with the showrunner makes it seem like he's thought about this, but now that I've seen the show it's even more unsatisfactory. The show hasn't had much to say about race. They're also building upon the novel and using more extensive flashbacks (and they got renewed for a second season), so it doesn't add up to me that they couldn't develop narratives about the white supremacist parts of the novel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

i am the bird posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on The Handmaid's Tale choosing to not depict the patriarchal, theocratic government as white supremacist as it is in the book? The exec producer has a weakass argument about how fertility > * in the TV depiction, and then argues that it would've been too much to tackle misogyny and race.

The more complicated and stickier argument is that, if true to source material, the show would be 100% lily white; by ignoring the white supremacy angle, they can include black women and their stories (which, uh, has its own issues in logic). The interviews with the showrunner makes it seem like he's thought about this, but now that I've seen the show it's even more unsatisfactory. The show hasn't had much to say about race. They're also building upon the novel and using more extensive flashbacks (and they got renewed for a second season), so it doesn't add up to me that they couldn't develop narratives about the white supremacist parts of the novel.

I haven't read the novel yet, but what if the show runners are saving that for the ramping up into making things even more hosed up in Season 2: Things are worse?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i am the bird posted:

White people who watch shows don't like being confronted with or exposed to overt racism. If they don't see it, it must not happen, and they can't be bad people.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
We like shows with racism as long as there's a magical white man we can latch on to who is totally not racist and that's us it has to be us.

We all like to imagine we would be Forrest Gump who handed that lady her books instead of the people screaming at her. But we would be screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

White people who watch shows don't like being confronted with or exposed to overt racism. If they don't see it, it must not happen, and they can't be bad people.

The latest Brooklyn 99 ep deals with Terry Crews's character getting arrested for walking while black. It was a really good episode and a great dynamic between his and Andre Braugher's characters. Not solved by a white man at all.

• Locked thread