Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What would cause that sort of damage beyond deliberate tampering? Genuine question because I thought professional golf clubs would not break easily. Bend maybe, but for that many to break?

I think they are graphite or carbon fibre which is a lot more brittle than steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
So United have settled now with the dude they dragged off the flight. I can only assume they drove multiple truckloads of cash at him to make it go away fast.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Bogan King posted:

So United have settled now with the dude they dragged off the flight. I can only assume they drove multiple truckloads of cash at him to make it go away fast.

It's cool though, Delta are picking up that ball.

quote:

[the passenger] said he had an urgent need to use the bathroom, and after a 30-minute delay on the tarmac, ran to the back of the aircraft to use the restroom, according to a blog entry by fellow passenger Krista Rosolino.

Rosolino wrote that Hamilton was in the restroom for "less than a minute," and returned to his seat when it was announced the plane was returning to the gate to have [the] passenger removed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/delta-employees-asked-man-leave-flight-after-using-restroom-videos-n751811

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Amateurs,

Woman with special needs pulled from Allegiant Air flight while asleep

http://globalnews.ca/news/3407945/woman-special-needs-allegiant-airlines/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What would cause that sort of damage beyond deliberate tampering? Genuine question because I thought professional golf clubs would not break easily. Bend maybe, but for that many to break?

Precariously balanced on the edge of a forklift, as forklift goes towards the plane the luggage it falls off halfway and gets crunched.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lime Tonics posted:

Amateurs,

Christ, the flight was set up by her hospice too

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm starting to wonder if this sick behavior from airlines has gone on for years, but it's only in the past five or so that people are more primed to record it.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm starting to wonder if this sick behavior from airlines has gone on for years, but it's only in the past five or so that people are more primed to record it.

Nearly everyone has a phone with a camera in it now...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

It's arguably been worse. I'd rather get my rear end kicked than be stuck on a tarmac for 8 hours.

Air travel is one of the last bastions of pure-strain anti-consumerism left, but it's been that way since 9/11 so it's nothing new.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Man, gently caress for that airline. " IN the bathroom for less than a minute". Excuse me, but with a dingus, you can slap it out, and piss like a racehorse for a full 30 seconds, wash your hands and be out of there before your loving stopwatch goes around.
I bet if that guy knew he was going to get kicked off the flight, he'd have gone up and pissed in First Class.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Just like all over the place. Drop trou and start spinning.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Amateurs,

The article is very oddly written. It looks like a lot of critical details are still missing that would help in understanding what the hell even happened.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mr. Belpit posted:

The article is very oddly written. It looks like a lot of critical details are still missing that would help in understanding what the hell even happened.

The reporter was shocked due to an Allegiant Air flight taking off without mechanical issues.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Media narratives are potent. Once a story breaks, similar stories are able to truck in behind the leader. The fun part is watching it shift from "United is poo poo" to "Airlines are poo poo."

Remember, before 9/11 the image of a "terrorist" in the United States was a right-wing militia member. Now those guys are Trump voters and all media terrorists have brown skin and accents.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Somfin posted:

Media narratives are potent. Once a story breaks, similar stories are able to truck in behind the leader.

Kinda like more news stories about black men getting killed by law enforcement in questionable-at-best (and in all too many cases utterly unjustifiable) circumstances a couple years ago: not remotely a new phenomenon, but one story (Trayvon Martin) managed to get some national attention, so other incidents had an easier time getting attention afterward.

Somfin posted:

Remember, before 9/11 the image of a "terrorist" in the United States was a right-wing militia member.

Either that or a European - Eastern European or Northern Irish - in a black ski mask.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Wasn't there a spate of airline hijackings and stuff through the 70s and 80s featuring Islamic terrorists? I've seen old movies and the idea that terrorism was chiefly Muslim may have started after 9/11 but it definitely didn't start as a new thing then.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

jojoinnit posted:

Wasn't there a spate of airline hijackings and stuff through the 70s and 80s featuring Islamic terrorists? I've seen old movies and the idea that terrorism was chiefly Muslim may have started after 9/11 but it definitely didn't start as a new thing then.

Those were all over the place, some muslims (mostly Palestinians) but actually a number were various strains of separatists and communists as odd as that seems now.

Wikipedia predictably has a big ol list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It used to be that if you were on a U.S. flight and it was hijacked, you were probably just going to be inconvenienced by a detour to Cuba.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Terrorists have always been brown skinned muslims. There was that one movie with Sean Bean and for a brief moment we had some White redneck terrorists. But otherwise it's been brown skin Arabs since the Iranian hostage crisis. The only real change we had in bad guys was in the 1990's when suddenly Russians were good guys. Thank goodness that's back to normal now.

And the best example of the media over reporting something was that year when all they'd talk about were shark attacks. The media made it look like it was a human bloodbath and shark attacks were actually down that year.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, the fear of right wing militia terrorists even goes squarely into the media domino effect, since we only felt that way for the first few years after the Oklahoma City Bombing. Up until 9/11 it was the big benchmark because it killed the most people on American soil. Hell, nobody even cared about the FIRST time Al-Quada bombed the World Trade Center, because hardly anyone was actually hurt. Marvel Comics even blamed it on The Juggernaut. Seriously. There's going to need to be something worse than 9/11 before we stop thinking terrorist=muslim automatically.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Nearly everyone has a phone with a camera in it now...

Same reason UFO sightings stopped

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Glazier posted:

Same reason UFO sightings stopped

And yet there are a whole bunch of dumb loving "hunt for Bigfoot/ghosts" shows.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Give the people what they want.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Coming up next on "The Quest for Bigfoot's Ghost"...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

Yeah but ghosts and Bigfoot have history from before modern technology and a somewhat scientific mindset were a thing, so they get grandfathered in. Kind of like religions pre-1900s.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

walrusman posted:

Coming up next on "The Quest for Bigfoot's Ghost"...

Wereghost 2: The Bigfoot dimension

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You could basically replace any characters in any Discovery or History channel show with sasquatches and improve the show 1000%. Tell me you wouldn't watch a show about a couple of 'squatches going through old barns and garages looking for pieces of classic Americana.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

You could basically replace any characters in any Discovery or History channel show with and improve the show 1000%. Tell me you wouldn't watch a show about a couple of 'squatches going through old barns and garages looking for pieces of classic Americana.

Take it a step further and add TLC:

"Twin Bigfoot brothers help families find and renovate their dream home."

I don't want to think about "19 Sasquatches and Counting".

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Now I kind of want to write a screenplay for LIAEN : Oven Can't. Someone find me a macbook, a Starbuck and a moleskin notebook!

I can get you a p-p-p-p-p-p-p-Powerbook if you want.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krispy Kareem posted:

Take it a step further and add TLC:

"Twin Bigfoot brothers help families find and renovate their dream home."

I don't want to think about "19 Sasquatches and Counting".

My 600lb little Sasquatch Gypsy Wedding Plus Eight

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

thepopmonster posted:

I can get you a p-p-p-p-p-p-p-Powerbook if you want.

That was such a great thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pawn Squatches.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Panfilo posted:

My 600lb little Sasquatch Gypsy Wedding Plus Eight

That would probably be a pretty fit sasquatch I guess

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That would probably be a pretty fit sasquatch I guess

*Next time on My 600lb little Sasquatch Gypsy Wedding Plus Eight... *

:v: "Look Saspy I don't think The Man in the Yellow Hat is the right guy for you. You've got eight quatches of your own, and I don't trust that adopted son of his."

:byodame: "BUT DADDY I LOVE HIM"

*Suddenly the caterer trips and drops the seven tier cake on the floor. The camera zooms in on him looking around awkwardly. *

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Krispy Kareem posted:

The only real change we had in bad guys was in the 1990's when suddenly Russians were good guys. Thank goodness that's back to normal now.

That barely changed even then, a whole bunch of scripts just did a find and replace from "Russians" to "rogue Russian generals"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SiKboy posted:

That barely changed even then, a whole bunch of scripts just did a find and replace from "Russians" to "rogue Russian generals"

Someone's been watching Crimson Tide.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You can buy bullets coated in pig fat as well as pig fat gun lubricant in America right now for very similar reasons. That, however, is a clever move in marketing; stupid, racist rednecks apparently buy that poo poo up like crazy.

There is also this website which is a dumb move in marketing as it looks like it was made in 1994 by an angsty teenager.

http://www.silverbulletgunoil.net/

Look at this website. Just...look at it. It's like they actively tried to make it as terrible as possible.

But can I buy square bullets to use with it?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

The Lone Badger posted:

But can I buy square bullets to use with it?

What? That would work you idiot. Squares are two dimensional - you want cube bullets.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bogan King posted:

What? That would work you idiot. Squares are two dimensional - you want cube bullets.

No dimension shaming, you chauvinist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Panfilo posted:

*Next time on My 600lb little Sasquatch Gypsy Wedding Plus Eight... *

:v: "Look Saspy I don't think The Man in the Yellow Hat is the right guy for you. You've got eight quatches of your own, and I don't trust that adopted son of his."

:byodame: "BUT DADDY I LOVE HIM"

*Suddenly the caterer trips and drops the seven tier cake on the floor. The camera zooms in on him looking around awkwardly. *

Quatches! :buddy:

I started to make a Slendermanderpump Rules joke but I looked at that pun and I looked at the fact that I know what Vanderpump Rules is and I hated myself too much to continue.