Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
What are the chances of me actually getting the Tai Seng Wing Chun DVD pictured if I order this from the third-party sellers listed here https://www.amazon.com/Wing-Chun-Michelle-Yeoh/dp/6304852770

I had been hunting for a good copy of this movie forever but I gave up when it was streaming on Netflix for so long. Now it's gone and the eBay selection of Tai Seng discs has plummeted. At least I already got ahold of Bride with White Hair a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Tangentially related to the theme of this thread, I've been making my way through all the Zatoichi films recently. I finished Samaritan Zatoichi (19) and Zatoichi meets Yojimbo (20) last night. Man, ZmY was kind of a disappointment. Little more than a gimmick and it didn't know whether it wanted to be a remake of Yojimbo or something else entirely. It was a mess despite Mifune chewing up all the scenery.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh hey, some awesome person compiled a complete list of all the Shaw Brothers films on Blu-ray: http://shawbluray.x10host.com/list.html

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

RichterIX posted:

That looks right! Good, I'm glad [Heroes of the East]'s streaming somewhere because it deserves to be seen.

Just got up to this one and I'm grateful it was recommended, tons of fun. LMBO at the ninja's crab technique...it perfectly walked the line between badass and gut-bustingly hilarious.

Updated my little list again, put it on a real website, tho the formatting is still mostly the same as the gist. Figure I'll clean it up more later probably. http://bitprophet.org/reviews/kung-fu/

My first Sammo Hung films are up next!

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Nice list, you need more Donnie Yen in the later flicks... Also, add some Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind for some classic Sammo action. Also, Enter the Fat Dragon is greatness.

Good Lord, it looks like Millionaire's Express isn't on your list either.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
New Dragon Inn (English Dub)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eojRL17O0c

Swordsman 2 (English Dub)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhowGyVfdnY

Fire Dragon aka The Fiery Dragon Kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB2ityaEVAg

Deadful Melody {English Dub)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AMSuxo9qvo

Green Dragon Inn

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ESDEEW4/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_movie-20&ref_=asc_homepage

Kid From Tibet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsBUKxK8tp4

The Peacock King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPu78X8vMcM

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 27, 2017

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I love that I get more recommendations every time I post the list :D thanks!

brocked posted:

more Donnie Yen

Got any specifics? I think at one point I had an implicit "...and if you like X actor, go dig up more of their work" but I'm well past that now.

Speaking of Donnie Yen, I saw an offhand reference about him being in the latest Star Wars, and realized...well duh, that's why that actor seemed so drat familiar! :doh:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bitprophet posted:

Got any specifics?

It looks like your list is missing Flash Point which is pretty drat good and has the best suplex ever on film.

Al's, nothing to do with Donnie Yen, but you may have to resort to eBay for Bride with White Hair. The Tai Seng DVD is fairly common and alternstely there are a ton of bootlegs around with subtitles of widely varying quality.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

bitprophet posted:

Got any [Donnie Yen] specifics? I think at one point I had an implicit "...and if you like X actor, go dig up more of their work" but I'm well past that now.

FishBulb posted:

Taoism Drunkard

Remulak posted:

Iron Monkey

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just watch Wing Chun.

moller fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 28, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
gently caress yeah Wing Chun is so good. TNT ran Heroic Trio, Executioners (which is a big time piece of poo poo), and Wing Chun back to back when I was like 12 and those are pretty much responsible for my love of kung fu movies and probably why I tend to prefer the ones from the 80s and 90s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

RichterIX posted:

gently caress yeah Wing Chun is so good. TNT ran Heroic Trio, Executioners (which is a big time piece of poo poo), and Wing Chun back to back when I was like 12 and those are pretty much responsible for my love of kung fu movies and probably why I tend to prefer the ones from the 80s and 90s.

I have been madly in love with Michelle Yeoh since I saw Yes Madam! in New York's Chinatown in 1986. Yim Wing Chun is her greatest role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAvQAF0Pqlw

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 28, 2017

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I could be entirely wrong but it seems like the HK film industry were sort of on an ever-accelerating upward trajectory of topping themselves in the lead up to 1997 which was seen as sort of an extinction-level event looming on the horizon. Like, by the time Donnie Yen's career was hitting it's stride in the mid-90s some of his most talented peers were already pursuing escape plans.

Then again, a lot of what I consider my favorite 80s "Hong Kong" flicks were actually 100% Taiwanese productions, which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

RichterIX posted:

It looks like your list is missing Flash Point which is pretty drat good and has the best suplex ever on film.

Seems to be an Amazon rental - added to the list, thanks!

moller posted:

Taoism Drunkard
Iron Monkey
Wing Chun

Latter two already on my list; first one seems to mean Drunken Tai Chi, which doesn't appear to be online anywhere at the moment (may have been on Netflix in the past? curse those fickle IP rights lawyers!)

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Yeah, Flash Point, Iron Monkey, and the IP Man flicks are what I would suggest for Donnie Yen. Other shows I love but didn't see were Bodyguard from Beijing, My Father Is a Hero, Great Hero From China, and Kiss of the Dragon.
They're a little bit style over substance, but I really enjoyed Tai Chi Zero and Tai Chi Hero.

I think this is the place to ask, I half-remember a version of Wong Fei Hung (or possibly his dad) where his climactic fight involved him using an umbrella as his weapon. I believe he spent some earlier scenes betting on his lucky cricket and had a propensity for kicking people's feet out from under them so they fell on their faces. Can anyone identify that one?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RichterIX posted:

Flash Point is so sick. I wonder how many people learned about that film via that gif.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is that the one where Donnie Yen does MMA in a construction yard?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

brocked posted:

I think this is the place to ask, I half-remember a version of Wong Fei Hung (or possibly his dad) where his climactic fight involved him using an umbrella as his weapon. I believe he spent some earlier scenes betting on his lucky cricket and had a propensity for kicking people's feet out from under them so they fell on their faces. Can anyone identify that one?
Are you thinking of this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11uEGRnCDs

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That is my favorite Donnie Yen film and one of my all time favorite films in general.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Nah, it wasn't from Iron Monkey, it was the final fight in the movie...

moller
Jan 10, 2007

brocked posted:

Nah, it wasn't from Iron Monkey, it was the final fight in the movie...

Once Upon a Time in China 2 has both an umbrella fight and a fight where WFH kicks people's feet out from under them, but not in the same scene.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I want to like Iron Monkey more than I do but I find the fast-forwarding in its fight scenes to be incredibly annoying.

stillnest
Dec 13, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Tangentially related to the theme of this thread, I've been making my way through all the Zatoichi films recently. I finished Samaritan Zatoichi (19) and Zatoichi meets Yojimbo (20) last night. Man, ZmY was kind of a disappointment. Little more than a gimmick and it didn't know whether it wanted to be a remake of Yojimbo or something else entirely. It was a mess despite Mifune chewing up all the scenery.

I absolutely love that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zatoichi_and_the_One-Armed_Swordsman was ever made though

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

That one was marginally better than ZMY, but not much. Still a gimmick. Also, man, the last two or three Zatoichi movies are just dogs. They get entirely too far up their own asses with this weirdo psychedelic stuff and a 70s exploitation vibe. They're really weird. I couldn't get through Zatoichi at Large, and I just skimmed the last two. Oh well, five boring films out of a 26 film run ain't bad.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I went to a midnight showing of Boxer's Omen.

I am still not sure what the hell I saw.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Benagain posted:

I went to a midnight showing of Boxer's Omen.

I am still not sure what the hell I saw.
A masterpiece.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

moller posted:

Once Upon a Time in China 2 has both an umbrella fight and a fight where WFH kicks people's feet out from under them, but not in the same scene.

Agreed, but this was not a Jet Li film

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter whips rear end, it's a huge step up from 36th Chamber, but the dub is fucken horrible on amazon

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wish these fuckers would let you watch those movies with either dubs or subs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish these fuckers would let you watch those movies with either dubs or subs.

For real. I speak mediocre mandarin so it annoys me that much more. I went on a kick this weekend and watched 8 Diagram, 36th Chamber, Crippled Avengers, and 5 Deadly Venoms but they're all dubbed. It bothered me less as a kid but it's a lot more distracting in HD

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What I love about these movies in HD is seeing exactly where the hairpieces are glued on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What I love about these movies in HD is seeing exactly where the hairpieces are glued on.

Or when it comes to Eight Diagram, how fake their teeth are.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The gore effects in 8 Diagram are both more awesome and funnier, you can see the drips and thickened bits in the red paint they use for most of it. The hairpieces in 5DV are great in the funny way, but Gordy Liu shaving his head in 8 Diagram looks surprisingly good. Lily Li playing Kara Hui Ying Hung's mom when she's very obviously a 20 something in a silver wig kills me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Staff weapons make for two of my favourite brutal moments in martial arts films.

"Ok cool, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. It's a bamboo pole, this should be pretty PG I gue--"
:stare:

"Aright, Jackie Chan versus a billion Axe Gang dudes, nice. Heh, but it's Jackie so those axes aren't gonna do anything and that bamboo pole of his isn't--"

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Lobok posted:

Staff weapons make for two of my favourite brutal moments in martial arts films.

"Ok cool, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. It's a bamboo pole, this should be pretty PG I gue--"

"Aright, Jackie Chan versus a billion Axe Gang dudes, nice. Heh, but it's Jackie so those axes aren't gonna do anything and that bamboo pole of his isn't--"

8 diagram pole fighter promises "righteous poles" and it delivers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching Opium and the Kung Fu Master through Amazon Prime and it's kind of weird that they think the movie is in English when it is actually in Chinese.

Edit: Aw jeez, I just got to the point where the wacky joke character's wife and kids are all dead because he became a opium addict. The wife killed the kids by feeding them rat poison and then hung herself. Then the joke character cuts his own throat with a butcher knife. This movie is kind of hardcore.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 3, 2017

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Watching Opium and the Kung Fu Master through Amazon Prime and it's kind of weird that they think the movie is in English when it is actually in Chinese.

Edit: Aw jeez, I just got to the point where the wacky joke character's wife and kids are all dead because he became a opium addict. The wife killed the kids by feeding them rat poison and then hung herself. Then the joke character cuts his own throat with a butcher knife. This movie is kind of hardcore.

Rule #1 when it comes to chinese movies: no one ever gets to be happy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Rule #2 is the supernatural ghost flick isn't over until the witch explodes.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Rule #2 is the supernatural ghost flick isn't over until the witch explodes.

I hope you mean both the head and the body of the witch, since an exploding witch usually leaves you with an angry, flying head.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

moller posted:

I hope you mean both the head and the body of the witch, since an exploding witch usually leaves you with an angry, flying head.

Or worse, a Kra-Sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The oddest convention of kung fu movies to me, watching them growing up, was that after the final battle with the chief bad guy BOOM the movie's just over. There's typically no epilogue beyond a "Yay, we did it!" for a happy movie or "Oh poo poo now everybody's dead" for a sad one.