Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good song. I wonder if it's a true story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So yeah, new Depeche Mode album. Either I like their recent albums more than most, or critics just have a tendency to overstate their surprise every single time they put out a good album. Inevitably every album they come out with is either "the best since Violator" or "the best since Songs of Faith and Devotion". But anyway. This is definitely, at the very least, another good one. I've only had a chance to second-listen a handful of tracks, but I could see it becoming a favorite. (I think I'm abnormally positive towarrds Sounds of the Universe though.)

"Cover Me" is a definite highlight; I think in terms of pure musical composition, it's one of the prettiest things they've ever done. I'm quite fond of "Poorman" too; reminds me a lot of something from Construction Time Again, but with a more thoughtful and dynamic arrangement. "Scum" is kind of hilariously angry; it's basically like, "Hey greedy rich person, I genuinely want you to kill yourself."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, they've always been pop, but this is upsettingly generic pop. Certainly an odd trajectory their career has taken.

What "pop" means changes every few years with people's tastes, though, doesn't it? In the 1960s you'd be "going pop" if your song had a string accompaniment and in the 1980s you'd be "going pop" if you used a synthesiser and gated reverb in your drums.

I wonder what we'll call current pop music in 10 years' time when it may not be pop any more.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 18, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I define pop, broadly, as music that's more concerned with melody and songcraft than performance. The exact musical style changes all the time. As far as Linkin Park is concerned, I've always preferred when they embrace that they're a pop act and not a metal band. But these 2 songs just sound really generic to me.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Sir Lemming posted:

So yeah, new Depeche Mode album. Either I like their recent albums more than most, or critics just have a tendency to overstate their surprise every single time they put out a good album. Inevitably every album they come out with is either "the best since Violator" or "the best since Songs of Faith and Devotion". But anyway. This is definitely, at the very least, another good one. I've only had a chance to second-listen a handful of tracks, but I could see it becoming a favorite. (I think I'm abnormally positive towarrds Sounds of the Universe though.)

"Cover Me" is a definite highlight; I think in terms of pure musical composition, it's one of the prettiest things they've ever done. I'm quite fond of "Poorman" too; reminds me a lot of something from Construction Time Again, but with a more thoughtful and dynamic arrangement. "Scum" is kind of hilariously angry; it's basically like, "Hey greedy rich person, I genuinely want you to kill yourself."
Honestly, I'm a bit stunned by this album - not just by its overall quality, but its thematic focus. It's not just Poorman, the entirety of Spirit feels like Construction Time Again revisited with a vengeance. Whereas I'd say the tone of CSA is (darkly) satirical, Spirit seems unashamedly activist throughout. I had never expected Depeche Mode to do anything like CSA again, much less with such energy and venom. Martin actually curses in Fail! :eyepop:

The music also goes well with the lyrics, and is immediately engaging even if you ignore the lyrical content. Cover Me is indeed excellent (and it's not even written by Martin), but I think the very cyberpunk-sounding You Move - coincidentally not a Martin song, either - might be my fave. All in all, much to my surprise, an album that's very strong and very thematically different from DM's usual fare.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Iggy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2xtWgBlzk

It is something

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

if something is "white Nicki Minaj but terrible"

edit: I had to listen to Anaconda to get the awful sound out of my ears.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Just popping in to say that the new Nelly Furtado album is surprisingly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX5_b6AT9Es

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
this is a cool song + video (esp. the make-up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qc6myD97UU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Harry Styles's solo single was on the radio this morning and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Sort of like U2 doing an Adele song, maybe.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Uh, did 1D break up?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They've been on 'hiatus' for over a year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's all part of the natural boy band life cycle. Give them a few years and their reunion tour will break records. A few years after that and they'll break those records when they do another reunion tour except this time they'll have Zayn Malik back.

You know, like Take That did?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm not entirely sure why, but the title of that Chainsmokers album (Memories... Do Not Open) is the dumbest album title I've heard in a while. Probably since the album that gave this thread it's name.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Speaking of we really should change it. The reference feels dated as hell.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Chainsmoking Until We Throw Up: Pop Music Thread

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pop Music: Ed Sheeran is the biggest musician in the world???

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm not entirely sure why, but the title of that Chainsmokers album (Memories... Do Not Open) is the dumbest album title I've heard in a while. Probably since the album that gave this thread it's name.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/mariah-carey-epic-records-deal-studio-album-1202027257/

Elusive Chanteuse was going to be called "The Art Of Letting Go."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Surprised nobody posted the leak of CRJ's "Cut to the Feeling" from that Ballerina CGI movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJWfZIxhqDQ

I think they cut out some segments that had overlapping dialogue. It's... awesome?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realise she was such a powerhouse. She can do no wrong these days.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Cut To The Feeling is an instant classic banger but the most insane part is that it was originally just intended for the B-sides of E•MO•TION :psyboom:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

less laughter posted:

Cut To The Feeling is an instant classic banger but the most insane part is that it was originally just intended for the B-sides of E•MO•TION :psyboom:

she could just keep releasing songs she wrote for Emotion and I'd keep buying them if we keep getting songs like this.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Harry Styles's solo single was on the radio this morning and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Sort of like U2 doing an Adele song, maybe.

Goddamnit I heard Sign of the Times and now I can't stop listening for some reason. I'm not even sure I like it.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

New Paramore single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEB6ibtdPZc

Definitely a further shift towards pop, but on a first listen I think I like it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Paramore but every time I mention them, I get preached by people about Jesus.

I'm still waiting for a song as good as "Still Into You".

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guys, I have to come out and say something that I'm kind of ashamed of, but still need to say.

I think...

I think Jason Mraz's debut album is actually really good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is it about the "white guy with acoustic guitar" genre that properly sets it apart from, say, singer-songwriters from the 1970s?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

exquisite tea posted:

Surprised nobody posted the leak of CRJ's "Cut to the Feeling" from that Ballerina CGI movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJWfZIxhqDQ

I think they cut out some segments that had overlapping dialogue. It's... awesome?
This appears to be down due to a copyright claim, here's a link with a soundcloud (though with like quotes from the movie? dunno if those are in the youtube): http://www.stereogum.com/1934191/carly-rae-jepsen-cut-to-the-feeling/music/

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

What is it about the "white guy with acoustic guitar" genre that properly sets it apart from, say, singer-songwriters from the 1970s?

Nothing really. I mean, everyone loves Ryan Adams and he's basically the same thing. I think there were just a bunch over a small period so the over saturation meant less quality vs quantity.

Also, a lot of top 40 radio stations don't play popular rap songs anymore, so the only male presence on them is Ed Sheeran and Ed Sheeran-esques. Basically since the turn of the century, women have been way better at pop music.

edit: also while it's not that different from her previous songs, I really love Lana's new song with The Weeknd. I think this album is shaping up to be really good.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 25, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Guys, I have to come out and say something that I'm kind of ashamed of, but still need to say.

I think...

I think Jason Mraz's debut album is actually really good.

I will echo this. It's pretty drat good.

Also, that new Charlie Puth song is loving fantastic

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 27, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Paramore song...is not.

I'm posting this in here because they're pretty much a full-blown pop group now.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I like it, and it feels like they're just moving further down a road they started on with their last album. That said I got into them when that album came out so I never had the attachment to their emo sound that some people do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Their last album has a handful of really great songs, and Daydreaming might be one of my favorite of theirs ever. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want them to keep up some of their old sound. I got into them around the time Riot! came out so that's more my poo poo.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtVFTuIZFYU

what in the gently caress

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not even clicking on that because Save Rock & Roll was already the whackest poo poo imaginable

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Well now that Paramore song doesn't seem so bad now does it

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

I like this song and I really don't know why, I have never liked Fall out Boy before

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

It took me a few listens to get into it. But I actually really like it. Every album is different. No, they don't sound like they did on Evening Out with your girlfriend, but that was also 14 years ago. Each album they've made sounds different because they grow and evolve as a band. I will always love them and respect them as artists even if I don't agree with some of the music they've done.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This sounds like a "hard" rock/dubstep Blake Lewis. I love Blake Lewis, but yikes

edit: this week is nuts as far as releases go. Singles from Fall Out Boy, Katy Perry, Phoenix, OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Hailee Steinfeld, Foster the People, and the new Gorillaz album.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DC Murderverse posted:

this week is nuts as far as releases go. Singles from (...) OneRepublic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXiuVQ-GgA4

this feels like cultural appropriation