Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regy Rusty posted:

That's the yet unreleased Cold Steel 3 on PS4

Quick question about that; Do we know if Rean is still the main player character, or is he taking Sara's role from the first game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, he is still the main playable character.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quick question about that; Do we know if Rean is still the main player character, or is he taking Sara's role from the first game?

Still the main character although from what we know of Cold Steel 3's pre-release information Rean's become an instructor like Sara, so you're actually unintentionally correct about him taking Sara's role too.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Hey, I got rid of a 3dsxl years ago in part because I didn't like the feel of it but I'm going to buy another now there are a lot more games I want to play on it. Does the n3dsxl feel uh better at all? In the thumbstick thing and in the way the buttons kind of squish. Thank you.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Hey, I got rid of a 3dsxl years ago in part because I didn't like the feel of it but I'm going to buy another now there are a lot more games I want to play on it. Does the n3dsxl feel uh better at all? In the thumbstick thing and in the way the buttons kind of squish. Thank you.

I can't give you comparative button squish data, but the new right-side thumbstick is like one of those little rubber nubs that some laptops use to control the mouse. Essentially, you'll have a bad time if you try to use it like a thumbstick. The trick is to just press down on it on the edge you would normally be pulling it toward.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I thought the trick was to cannibalize a psp and install the thumbstick? :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Still the main character although from what we know of Cold Steel 3's pre-release information Rean's become an instructor like Sara, so you're actually unintentionally correct about him taking Sara's role too.

No, I knew that part. It's why I was curious, considering a new Thors branch school with Rean as an Instructor sounded an awful lot like they were gonna relegate him down to party member status in favour of a student as the actual player character. Playing the teacher in a high school setting isn't exactly the go-to for most JRPG's, you know?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The White Dragon posted:

I mean, go for it if you are good at making things and love to void warranties.

It never bothered me enough to go through with it :shrug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Guys. GUYS.

I... I think Kirby Planet Robobot might be a good game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Xenomrph posted:

Guys. GUYS.

I... I think Kirby Planet Robobot might be a good game.
Congrats on having a good opinion.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

The White Dragon posted:

After hearing people say this was a better option I got some psp caps for like $5 on amazon and ripped the sucker out. Personally I do think it feels way better than the nub, but I played a bunch of games that used the nub (Majora's Mask, Monster Hunter).

Illithid Activity
Sep 5, 2015

So I am having a bummer day with my New Nintendo 3DS XL. Last night I was playing an original DS cartridge (Final Fantasy III for anyone curious) and had saved my game. When finished, I hit the home button to close out the game and go back to the 3DS home menu. When I hit "Close," something very bad happened. It acted like it was going to the home screen, going black, and I could hear the background music associated with the theme I have as default for the home menu, but the home screen itself never loaded; it remained solid black (I couldn't distinguish the difference between backlit or not). The music continued to play but no screen activity, not even after a few minutes of just letting it "load." I tried scrolling with the d pad as well as the circle pad, but there's no audio indication that it's moving between icons or anything. I hard reset, but now, after trying multiple things, all I get is the same result: blank screens with theme audio; no other sounds accompany various actions.

I've tried:

1) Powering off and on again.
2) Powering down, removing and replacing the battery, then turning it on again.
3) Powering down, removing and replacing the SD card, then turning it on again.
4) Powering down, removing and replacing both the battery and SD card, then turning it on again. (This actually did something. The music never came on, but the home screen also never loaded.)
5) Powering down and rebooting the system using the "forced update" method. After checking for updates, it says it is already up to date, automatically shuts down, and when I reboot, it's the same problem: blank screens and pretty music but no action.
6) Switching between game cartridges with the system on.

I've Googled the issue and not found anyone with problems entirely similar to mine (several with blank screens but no sound, also no one had the issue after using a DS cartridge). Found one thread that had a similar issue on another forum but it sounded like the system had been modded somehow so it likely doesn't apply.

Have any of you ever experienced this type of error? It's never happened to me before (I've never had trouble after using an original DS cartridge). Does anyone have any clue what might have gone wrong, or how to fix? If you have dealt with it, did you send it to Nintendo? How much did it cost to repair? I'm waiting on my tax return and not looking forward to spending a big chunk on this. :ohdear: I've already accepted I'll probably have to, but thought I'd check here first.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Port Wine Manteau posted:

So I am having a bummer day with my New Nintendo 3DS XL. Last night I was playing an original DS cartridge (Final Fantasy III for anyone curious) and had saved my game. When finished, I hit the home button to close out the game and go back to the 3DS home menu. When I hit "Close," something very bad happened. It acted like it was going to the home screen, going black, and I could hear the background music associated with the theme I have as default for the home menu, but the home screen itself never loaded; it remained solid black (I couldn't distinguish the difference between backlit or not). The music continued to play but no screen activity, not even after a few minutes of just letting it "load." I tried scrolling with the d pad as well as the circle pad, but there's no audio indication that it's moving between icons or anything. I hard reset, but now, after trying multiple things, all I get is the same result: blank screens with theme audio; no other sounds accompany various actions.

I've tried:

1) Powering off and on again.
2) Powering down, removing and replacing the battery, then turning it on again.
3) Powering down, removing and replacing the SD card, then turning it on again.
4) Powering down, removing and replacing both the battery and SD card, then turning it on again. (This actually did something. The music never came on, but the home screen also never loaded.)
5) Powering down and rebooting the system using the "forced update" method. After checking for updates, it says it is already up to date, automatically shuts down, and when I reboot, it's the same problem: blank screens and pretty music but no action.
6) Switching between game cartridges with the system on.

I've Googled the issue and not found anyone with problems entirely similar to mine (several with blank screens but no sound, also no one had the issue after using a DS cartridge). Found one thread that had a similar issue on another forum but it sounded like the system had been modded somehow so it likely doesn't apply.

Have any of you ever experienced this type of error? It's never happened to me before (I've never had trouble after using an original DS cartridge). Does anyone have any clue what might have gone wrong, or how to fix? If you have dealt with it, did you send it to Nintendo? How much did it cost to repair? I'm waiting on my tax return and not looking forward to spending a big chunk on this. :ohdear: I've already accepted I'll probably have to, but thought I'd check here first.

This happened to me and I had to send it to Nintendo. Apparently the motherboard was faulty or something like that. They fixed it and I didn't lose anything on the SD card but I did lose stuff like friends, coins, and all that. Luckily, the 3DS was still under warranty and they sent someone to pick it up and fixed it for free.

Illithid Activity
Sep 5, 2015

DoctorX posted:

This happened to me and I had to send it to Nintendo. Apparently the motherboard was faulty or something like that. They fixed it and I didn't lose anything on the SD card but I did lose stuff like friends, coins, and all that. Luckily, the 3DS was still under warranty and they sent someone to pick it up and fixed it for free.

So I called them today and there's no troubleshooting I could do. Now I have to ship off my sweet DS to them and I'm a bit nervous, but hopeful they'll be able to retrieve my save data for downloaded games. 100+ hours in both ACNL and Pokemon Moon is gonna hurt to lose. But I'll definitely have learned my lesson: all cartridges, all the time from now on.

I just wanna give a shoutout to Nintendo's choices in customer service. Their representatives are some of the nicest, most efficient, well-trained individuals I've ever talked to in customer service. Once when my daughter's DS died and we had to transfer without the original system, a representative spent ten minutes on the phone with me shooting the breeze, chatting me up about classic Zelda just so he could be sure we'd given enough time for the transfer process on the DS to take place and that it had went through without a hitch. If only all customer service were so friendly!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The risk of this happening is so low though and the convenience of all digital so high that I will still advocate for digital only all day every day. I think my new xl's cartridge slot is still a virgin, though the SD card has like thirty games on it.

Also homebrew lets you back up saves and all that good stuff (and makes your device like 10x better in other ways as well) but not everyone is jiggy with that route

Sucks that that happened to you, though it's good that Nintendo's gonna sort it out!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How are some people level 30+ in Kirby F2P and still without DX weapons? Gold Staff DX is :magical: for 4-mage gang bang.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SelenicMartian posted:

How are some people level 30+ in Kirby F2P and still without DX weapons? Gold Staff DX is :magical: for 4-mage gang bang.

What's this Kirby F2P?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kirby Team Clash Deluxe, the free eShop game. It's based on the Robobot minigame but it now has loot and recharge currency.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

120 apples to fight Suzie. :negative:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SelenicMartian posted:

120 apples to fight Suzie. :negative:

Suzie's a busy girl, you can't just fight her whenever you want. She has a job.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Animal Crossing, $15: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Selects-Animal-Crossing-Welcome-amiibo/dp/B01NA78QGI/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Color Printer posted:

Suzie's a busy girl, you can't just fight her whenever you want. She has a job.
Yeah. She literally warps in to have her poo poo kicked, then warps out.

Next boss, 150 apples. I'm done.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
OK so my dog knocked over a glass of water and a cup of tea which bathed many electronics including my 3ds.

I managed to drain all the tea out of it, luckily it was turned off entirely. Anyone have any additional suggestions besides opening it and cleaning it before turning it back on?

I'm hoping it'll be ok given that it was fully off, but who knows.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Leave it somewhere warm and dry for two weeks before turning it back on, preferably somewhere that has a bunch of those silica gel bead packets you get in new clothes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
two weeks might be overkill, I think maybe after 48 hours you're solid to try it out.

If nothing was fried and it fully dries out before you power it on, it should be a-okay as I don't think electronics get hosed up simply by getting wet, rather by getting wet when electricity is running around, doing stuff

ymmv though

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Rule #1 remove electricity. Which means ripping out the battery asap.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If I'm selling my 3DS XL with two full games loaded on it and want the games to go with it to its next owner, the next person would need my NNID info to retain those games, correct? For reference, I don't care about my NNID and will never use it again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Correct. Games are tied to the Nintendo Network ID and associated Email account.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Dehry posted:

Correct. Games are tied to the Nintendo Network ID and associated Email account.

Thanks! Wanted to be sure I had the right info.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Thanks everyone, first thing I did when I saw was remove the backplate so I could pull the battery. It was worryingly wet but I'll see how it goes. Apparantly somehow mot a drop went into the game cartridge slot, was bone dry when I went digging inside with a q-tip.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Captain Hair posted:

OK so my dog knocked over a glass of water and a cup of tea which bathed many electronics including my 3ds.

I managed to drain all the tea out of it, luckily it was turned off entirely. Anyone have any additional suggestions besides opening it and cleaning it before turning it back on?

I'm hoping it'll be ok given that it was fully off, but who knows.

You're not going to like this, but even if you dry it out with rice/silicon packets, if it was a bad spill just get a new 3ds at some point (as in replacing your old one, not necessarily a New 3ds). Not necessarily right now if you can get your current one working, but sometime within the next six months.

Dying wet electronics out works if you do it properly asap, but unless the thing you're using is explicitly waterproof you usually end up paying for it eventually in other ways. Not saying it'll just up and die one day because I know tons of people including me have used stuff that got wet without incident after drying it properly, but the chances of hardware failing a year or so later go up exponentially. It'll be little things that seem like normal wear and tear too, like the battery or charging parts going or maybe the headphone jack or something.

But yeah, otherwise if it was off and you dry it out thoroughly you've done all you can.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What's the RPG front look like for the 3ds this year besides possibly Ever Oasis and Monster Hunter Stories?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

What's the RPG front look like for the 3ds this year besides possibly Ever Oasis and Monster Hunter Stories?

There's the remakes of Strange Journey and Radiant History. I think each of them has a bonus scenario featuring a new character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

etrian odyssey v...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Crabtree posted:

I wonder if Pokemon Stars or w/e they call the 3rd version will be on the 3DS, the Switch, or both/

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Crabtree posted:

Fire Emblem is in a few weeks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Nintendo 2DS XL! and it's a clamshell?! out July 28 in NA, $150:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxNHhgMuTg&t=4s

Miitopia will be out on the same day, by the by.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

So this is the final form of the DS

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

How odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm so confused.