Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

While Disney may or may not have been an antisemite, he was still a prolific Union buster and hosed numerous people over during the Red Scare. That's enough to land him on my shitlist, at least.

(Still probably better than a CS Lewis and Tolkien, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

God the original sleeping beauty is such an awful mess. Not only does the prince rape and impregnate sleeping beauty instead of kissing her, when she wakes up it turns out the prince is actually a king because he's already married. The queen gets jealous of the kings rape victim and her babies and tries to have them killed, but she fucks it up and the king ends up killing the queen instead. So, now that the kings gross old wife is dead he's free to marry his hot rape victim.

Imagine being familiar with that story before every watching the Disney film, and then watching the film and seeing that the rapist King is now unambiguously good?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

Imagine being familiar with that story before every watching the Disney film, and then watching the film and seeing that the rapist King is now unambiguously good?

I think it's fair to say that the king in the movie isn't the same as the king in the story.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

I wanted to scream the first time I realized that lovely little girl had a song.

Jenny's whole thing makes more sense when you realize in the early drafts she's suppose to be Penny from the Rescuers, but Disney nixed it, not wanting to tie their properties together like that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
on a similar note Madame Medusa from the Rescuers was originally gonna be Cruella De Vil

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Hedrigall posted:

Just lol if you have any empathy at all for characters in any medium who don't walk digitigrade

aHEM

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bears are plantigrade :colbert:.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bears are ok. 6/10

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

Well, extant ursidae are plantigrade. Back in the Oligocene and Miocene we had some sweet digitigrade ursids like Phoberocyon and Zaragocyon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, extant ursidae are plantigrade. Back in the Oligocene and Miocene we had some sweet digitigrade ursids like Phoberocyon and Zaragocyon.

This taken into account, I revise my rating of bears to 6.5/10

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

While Disney may or may not have been an antisemite, he was still a prolific Union buster and hosed numerous people over during the Red Scare. That's enough to land him on my shitlist, at least.

(Still probably better than a CS Lewis and Tolkien, though)

The fact that CS Lewis and Tolkien are more distasteful to people than Walt Disney because they were stuffy academics is rather revealing - he's preferable because he was more effective in selling himself as a fantasist. You even see him being defended on the basis of his hard work and success.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drifter posted:

I think it's fair to say that the king in the movie isn't the same as the king in the story.

That's kind of the point. The person who kisses the evidently dead woman is now good.

That's more than a little concerning even before you know the historical role of the character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

That's kind of the point. The person who kisses the evidently dead woman is now good.

That's more than a little concerning even before you know the historical role of the character.

I mean, historical of a fictional story. Nothing wrong with making something family friendly-ish. Stories change and evolve, or get co-opted all the time, this time it just happens to be through the power of market research and dubious christian morality.

It's just a fairy tale - kind of up to the parents to teach their kids not to make out with dead chicks in the real world.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Just lol if you have any empathy at all for characters in any medium who don't walk digitigrade
But like every species in Zootopia walks plantigrade

Even the species who would be digitigrade in real life, i.e.: basically all of them

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't take me too seriously please

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Don't take me too seriously please

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

In the past page and a half, I've learned about Tolkien, Lewis, Walt Disney, Oliver and Company, and some anti-sex thing on Tumblr I guess? I don't even know.

LeJackal posted:

Yeah. Wow, I forgot how darkly weird Oliver and Company managed to be.

You might be right.

The visual design was way off, but its pretty obvious why Sykes was so forgettable compared to his henchdogs.

Thanks google imagesearch.

I feel like I'm missing something here though. I don't even want to Google WHY they look like that but there's a part of me that's jealous cause it's a really good photo manipulation..

Anyway...someone brought up Fagin in O&C and he's just...very unpleasant to look at and I never noticed until now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Thank you :3:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Frozen 3: Elsa Does DBT

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThermoPhysical posted:

In the past page and a half, I've learned about Tolkien, Lewis, Walt Disney, Oliver and Company, and some anti-sex thing on Tumblr I guess? I don't even know.

Also digitigrade ursidae of the Oligocene and Miocene eras!!

Everyone always forgets the Hemicyoninae subfamily :sigh:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Doesn't Disney also have something to answer for about the current copyright law?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

Doesn't Disney also have something to answer for about the current copyright law?

All of it. in '76 they lobbied to get rights extended from 14 years out to Life + 50 years, and retroactively back some number of years.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Hey, Pick, this doesn't have anything to do with bears, but I keep meaning to ask you and I keep forgetting:

Why is your current Icon a Picture of Rapunzel with a bloody head wound? Where did that come from? Is the new Rapunzel cartoon way darker than I thought it would be?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
After all the little cats became big cats they got hungry.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, Pick, this doesn't have anything to do with bears, but I keep meaning to ask you and I keep forgetting:

Why is your current Icon a Picture of Rapunzel with a bloody head wound? Where did that come from? Is the new Rapunzel cartoon way darker than I thought it would be?

Piggybacking on this, Hedrigall, where is your avatar from?

Also, got 20 minutes into both Tangled and Lilo and Stitch, but then decided that Hercules was the best course of action.... All I have is the VHS. Is a DVD / Blu-Ray worth it?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here though. I don't even want to Google WHY they look like that but there's a part of me that's jealous cause it's a really good photo manipulation..

Did they make Sykes looks more Jewish for some kind of racist angle? After seeing Moe-Anna (the photomanipulated blonda Moana) I wouldn't put it past people.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyway...someone brought up Fagin in O&C and he's just...very unpleasant to look at and I never noticed until now.

He is not even a tragically unhandsome protagonist like Quasimodo, he's just not pleasant in appearance or demeanor.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, so... I haven't seen Oliver and Company in nearly 20 years. Those pictures posted above aren't how Sykes looks in the film?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

Piggybacking on this, Hedrigall, where is your avatar from?

Selfie.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Okay, so... I haven't seen Oliver and Company in nearly 20 years. Those pictures posted above aren't how Sykes looks in the film?

I just used google image search to find some screenshots and tried to pull from what seemed like the most legit for my post.

LeJackal posted:

The visual design was way off, but its pretty obvious why Sykes was so forgettable compared to his henchdogs.

Thanks google imagesearch.

I think I pulled one or two of them from the wiki, I want to say.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Then my next question is what's being referred to concerning photo manipulation?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Then my next question is what's being referred to concerning photo manipulation?

That would be a question for Thermophysical.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

Also, got 20 minutes into both Tangled and Lilo and Stitch, but then decided that Hercules was the best course of action.... All I have is the VHS. Is a DVD / Blu-Ray worth it?

To help you decide here's a pretty cool video essay on how Hercules is a good-bad movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KznZcK7ksf4

I enjoyed revisiting it last year for the first time in over a decade :)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

Bears are ok. 6/10

Going by the draft last night, the Bears are actually loving terrible

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
it's been a while since i've watched oliver & company but i'm almost certain the dobermans weren't furry beefcakes

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ghost sex posted:

it's been a while since i've watched oliver & company but i'm almost certain the dobermans weren't furry beefcakes

I will admit that they have a similar head to jaw/snoot ratio situation as Sikes but you can't be seriously suggesting that it looks half as bad on Roscoe and DeSoto.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ghost sex posted:

Cinema Discusso > Furry Beefcakes (and other animation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

LeJackal posted:

That would be a question for Thermophysical.

You rolled with the comment, I thought you knew!