Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You should be able to recruit from state leagues throughout the season to stop this happening.

Or have a mid season trade period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

racing identity posted:

You should be able to recruit from state leagues throughout the season to stop this happening.

Or have a mid season trade period

I think having the ability to take state league players would be good, not so keen on a mid-season trade period unless you restrict it to just trading rookies or players that haven't been selected to that point.

S Hill is out unsurprisingly with a hammy, thankfully Pearce is not back in and Balic got picked after missing a week with a him injury.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

A radical fixture revamp that potentially includes a playoff series to qualify for finals spots remains firmly on the AFL's agenda.

However, is not expected to be in place for 2018.

The AFL Commission was given an update last Friday by the working party set up to examine possible fixture changes.

The next phase is likely to seek input from key parties on issues including fairness, logistical considerations and the commercial implications of change.

AFL Media understands that process – which would need to involve fans, clubs, venues, players and broadcasters – would push the timeline beyond a change being possible for next season, however it indicates how seriously the AFL is taking the issue.

The initial idea has been to begin a play-off series based on club's ladder positions after 17 rounds, with the next five games determining whether teams qualify for finals and where their draft pick would be for the following season.

However the 17-5 proposal is just one of a range of options, with the working party open to re-setting the competition at various stages to provide a fixture that retains credibility while adding to the unpredictability of the season.

That working party, involving AFL and club representatives, has been examining the massive logistical and commercial implications of a change, with clubs keen to retain 11 home games and as many blockbuster games as possible.

It is also grappling with incentives for clubs that finish the initial season near the bottom of the ladder, as well as the issue of the right number of games to be played before a reset occurs.

The fixture revamp has been on the agenda for several seasons, with the clubs putting it on the back burner in May 2015.

However they have been happy for the AFL to examine potential systems in detail, with attendance and television figures showing the importance of keeping clubs' seasons alive for as long as possible.

History shows very few finals places change after round seven, and crowds and commercial opportunities decline for clubs when they drop out of the finals race.

Already in 2017, there are six clubs with no more than one win after five rounds, with history suggesting they are unlikely to play finals this season.

At the launch of this year's draw in October, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan, said, "There is no secret that I think there is an opportunity to improve that fixture.

"The issue is making sure we get all the upside of the improvements and mitigate the downside."

:fuckoff:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Recruiting state-league players mid year would be an interesting one. I assume that state league players who know they are a chance to be drafted would give their current employers notice that they may have to quit their job immediately, and would then have comfort in the fact that if they do get drafted, they're be quitting their job for at least a year of AFL employment (2 years for national draft).

If you were recruited mid-year, you'd have to quit your job but it may only be for a few months, with absolutely no guarantee that you'll get picked up permanently the following year. I'd argue these top-up players would need an increased match payments to cover for this?

I accept that playing AFL football is a different thing to 'normal' jobs, but most people wouldn't take a temp contract when already working full time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
finals are playoffs.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

drunkill posted:

finals are playoffs.

It's not American enough

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Windmill Hut posted:

Recruiting state-league players mid year would be an interesting one. I assume that state league players who know they are a chance to be drafted would give their current employers notice that they may have to quit their job immediately, and would then have comfort in the fact that if they do get drafted, they're be quitting their job for at least a year of AFL employment (2 years for national draft).

If you were recruited mid-year, you'd have to quit your job but it may only be for a few months, with absolutely no guarantee that you'll get picked up permanently the following year. I'd argue these top-up players would need an increased match payments to cover for this?

I accept that playing AFL football is a different thing to 'normal' jobs, but most people wouldn't take a temp contract when already working full time.

So they'd basically be the Christmas Casuals of professional sport?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

finals are playoffs.

The obsession in all sports to have everything dramatically cranked to 11 every single match is absurd. The reason those American "Game 7 moments" have so much tension is because they're rare. Trying to manufacture and force that doesn't help anything.

AFL finals is unique and the regular season, if anything, needs a couple fewer games. That's it. Stop messing with regular seasons and trying to crowbar drama.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I am loving idiots saying Melbourne's ruck situation is a result of poor list management, I'm sure lots of afl standard rucks would have jumped at the chance to be third on the depth chart. Who wouldn't want to bet on two ruck injuries in three weeks to get out of the VFL!

Want one of the Saints 4 rucks? Will swap one for Oliver.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'm sure Sydney would trade a ruck and Owen Fifth for someone.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
jayden hunt has been the demons highest rated player over the last month according to the afls player ratings

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery posted:

Want one of the Saints 4 rucks? Will swap one for Oliver.

Sure! (Gives you Jordie McKenzie instead and hopes you don't notice)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shouldn'ta gotten rid of Fitzy!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

Shouldn'ta gotten rid of Fitzy!

Best for him that we did, who knows what would have happened to him as a ruck on our list

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
pretty sick burn on the doggies banner

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mitch Wallis finally coming back from his broken leg in the VFL tonight, already picked up 11 touches and 3 tackles in the first quarter.

gay picnic defence posted:

Can't help it if that's the truth

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Says all the people that haven't actually lived in canberra :jerkbag:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
that was a really unfortunate coin toss

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

What did it say?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
jfc Carey commentating on the White Ribbon match, get in the bin you turd

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

hahahaha destroy the deliberate rule

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

great intensity in the game so far.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah this fire got started quick, wow.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

How the gently caress does BT still have a commentating job he is loving useless

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NPR Journalizard posted:

How the gently caress does BT still have a commentating job he is loving useless

read big footy and ask yourself if those people would prefer the voice of reason or BT slobbering all over the mic

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Haynes slide-pickup-handball was amazing then

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GWS midfield are really fkn useless at the moment.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

read big footy and ask yourself if those people would prefer the voice of reason or BT slobbering all over the mic

Would prefer to headbutt a brick wall than read big footy.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

THE BONT, THE

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mumford you tool :v:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Doggies turned up for 2017 finally. Inaccurate shots the only thing that has GWS still in the contest

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Haha suck it Greene you little turd enjoy your holiday

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Best bloke after Hodge

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Why would you hit Caleb Daniel in the face. Just why.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Is THE BONT's tackling always so sloppy?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Why would you hit Caleb Daniel in the face. Just why.

Cos he's the player on the field Greene is bigger than

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is THE BONT's tackling always so sloppy?

It's usually much better but he's seemed really limited this season. He had hip issues in 2015 so I think he might be missing some power through the hips

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

That was a drat good goal from Patton

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

That was a drat good goal from Patton

Agreed. Massive kick.

Doggies running out of players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Greene has such a punchable face so it's ironic he's the one doing the punching.

• Locked thread