Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bio347 posted:

I kind of want robo-Russian to try to have a rematch with Daisy only for her to casually take him apart. "Robots? Been there, done that."

"Oh cool now you're metal and can resonate" *easily shakes him apart from the inside*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really like this show and this story arc in particular.
But since I am a giant nerd I have a logical nitpick. Aida and Russian Guy both want to kill the people in the framework but are completely incapable of doing so. But what about their (presumably human) mooks? If Russian Guy would try to kill May like he did before and one of them saw that, they could easily do it themselves. But then again, maybe their core programming is so strong that they would attack anyone who actually tries to harm the sleeping agents.
Either way, it feels like kind of a convoluted plan to circumvent that core programming.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I will be very mad if true love doesn't win this time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really like this show and this story arc in particular.
But since I am a giant nerd I have a logical nitpick. Aida and Russian Guy both want to kill the people in the framework but are completely incapable of doing so. But what about their (presumably human) mooks? If Russian Guy would try to kill May like he did before and one of them saw that, they could easily do it themselves. But then again, maybe their core programming is so strong that they would attack anyone who actually tries to harm the sleeping agents.
Either way, it feels like kind of a convoluted plan to circumvent that core programming.

Yeah, Aida's programming isn't just "don't kill", its "preserve life". Which is how she rationalized killing Radcliffe by preserving his "life" in the Framework but also probably forces her to not say "hey you, kill them."

Although I love that scene in Demolition Man.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So is Aida's plan to just 3d print herself into a non-robotic version of herself?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ApeHawk posted:

So is Aida's plan to just 3d print herself into a non-robotic version of herself?

Yeah pretty much. But the doctor told Ophelia that her new body will be stronger. So presumably she wouldn't simply be a weak, squishy human.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aida needs to get her hands on some Vibranium and become Mrs. Vision.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well if you're going to make yourself a body it better be super human.

For as much as I'm loving this season Aida really is just kind of stealing Ultron's scheme, isn't she? Just replace an Infinity Stone with the Darkholde.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Honestly, it's the same plot from Age of Ultron.

Klungar posted:

drat, should have refreshed. efb

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Yeah pretty much. But the doctor told Ophelia that her new body will be stronger. So presumably she wouldn't simply be a weak, squishy human.

I agree. She's gonna have super strength or something that only Ghost Rider the Darkhold can stop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

poo poo, she might become Madam Hydra in the real world

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I agree. She's gonna have super strength or something that only Ghost Rider the Darkhold can stop.

OH MY GOD, IT'S LADY SIF ON THE TOP ROPES!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RareAcumen posted:

OH MY GOD, IT'S LADY SIF ON THE TOP ROPES!

GOOD GAWD, SOMEBODY STOP THE drat FRAMEWORK!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Good god, that's Stone Coulson's music!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Stone Coulson is an awesome portmanteau

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Klungar posted:

Jocasta.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Phylodox posted:

Or maybe realness and personhood are defined by something less mundane than flesh and blood?

I am not saying that they can't be people, but unless Aida has some way of digitally recording the mind and personality of every person on earth, including ones who died before she was created, then Hope and Trip will stay dead and what can be brought back will only be good simulations of them.

I also wonder whether the framework is actually running 7 billion fully conscious people all the time, or whether some of them are just "cheap" emulations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oasx posted:

I am not saying that they can't be people, but unless Aida has some way of digitally recording the mind and personality of every person on earth, including ones who died before she was created, then Hope and Trip will stay dead and what can be brought back will only be good simulations of them.

I also wonder whether the framework is actually running 7 billion fully conscious people all the time, or whether some of them are just "cheap" emulations.
*snaps fingers*
yes!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My man!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Oasx posted:

It's probably using the computer techniques where the heavy duty AI is only simulated when a real person is near by.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Mage_Boy posted:

It's probably using the computer techniques where the heavy duty AI is only simulated when a real person is near by.

"Madame one of the Quinjets is having LOD issues, it turns into a gray rectangular brick whenever one of us gets too close to it."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

D1Sergo posted:

"Madame one of the Quinjets is having LOD issues, it turns into a gray rectangular brick whenever one of us gets too close to it."

I really hope they do a bunch of stuff like that and weird Inception-style tweaks when Gemma inevitably works out how to manipulate the Framework and turns into The One and starts loving poo poo up

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They will escape by ploishing.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 28, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's real weird that all the characters, except maybe fitz, are going to come out of this knowing they made the right choices in their lives.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Andrew_1985 posted:

Will Deathlok also be in the Framework? They're bringing back everyone else it seems

Argument for him not being in the Framework would be similar to why Raina was killed by HYDRA. Mike Peterson could've been a real problem if he got the Centipede infusion in their little world. That said, I miss Gunn. I wish they would bring him back just to solve one little firepower problem like they did in S2. Similarly, Bobbi and Hunter. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Oasx posted:

a) Just because they're not completely based on pre-existing people doesn't make them not-people. Every "real" person on Earth is a unique individual.

b) If only Aida had used some form of poorly understood dark magic to help build this alternate world!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Until they can empirically prove that the whole framework is 100% simulated on mundane computer hardware, as opposed to being a neural interface and some software that uses darkhold magic to transplant a mind into a corresponding body in a parallel dimension that has had its reality altered by magic to diverge slightly, it's probably safer to err on the side of the framework residents being real people.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That seems backwards to me. Occam's Razor suggests that all the non-sleepers are just constructed simulations, not "alternate reality people." We know that Radcliffe (and Fitz) had been working on an artificial reality since the beginning of the season and that Radcliffe had always intended to place Agnes in there eventually, so there's no reason to think that the Framework is anything other than the culmination of that project and not, y'know, everyone teleporting to a whole other reality and...what, replacing their alternate selves there?

Now, there's certainly a point to be made that these constructed simulations could be considered real "people" if they're advanced and autonomous enough, but this whole "other world" spiel was just the lie Aida fed to Fitz to get him to make help her cross over. Simmons even immediately identified Fitz's machine as a matter creator and not a...dimensional transporter or whatever.

Don't be so easily hoodwinked by the Hydra lies, friends.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The show certainly seems to be leaning towards the Framework denizens being real. Simmons' absolute certainty that no one except those plugged into the computer matters smacks of hubris, and you don't introduce that without planning on undermining it.

My pet theory is that Fitz will get himself back, but decide to stay in the Framework in order to help fix the world he had a hand in loving up. I suppose he'll have to periodically unplug, since they mentioned that prolonged use of the Framework kills you eventually.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Slashrat posted:

Until they can empirically prove that the whole framework is 100% simulated on mundane computer hardware, as opposed to being a neural interface and some software that uses darkhold magic to transplant a mind into a corresponding body in a parallel dimension that has had its reality altered by magic to diverge slightly, it's probably safer to err on the side of the framework residents being real people.

I believe they mentioned earlier in the season that they also stole that bit from Ultron: the framework is the ultimate malware, taking up processing cycles on every bit of hardware it can find.

Hell, if you want to take that to an extreme, the simulation might be borrowing from the data that it finds on these devices to build up real people profiles for avatars in the framework.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Silicon Valley / Agents of Shield crossover confirmed?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I think Ophelia plans on getting a human body in the real world and then immediately turning off the Framework because it will no longer be necessary and she'll be able to stop "preserving life".
The fact that Fitz wants to come out with her makes me wonder if she's going to build Framework Fitz a new body or just wake up his old one.
He's also the only person that isn't showing signs of who he was in the real world. Everybody else is, and Aida even commented on it, that they can't escape their roles. Sure, she called Fitz a "romantic" but that seems a stretch to be honest.
I just really don't know how they will reconcile Fitz when this is all over.

Anyway, Ophelia / Aida is the one who will murder 7 billion people and not even blink while doing it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I bet they'll fail to stop Aida's new body being created, but they'll stop the Fitz double coming fully online.

Then, as a season cliffhanger, we'll see the Fitz robot wake up in the ruined SHIELD base.

Or not. They might want to get away from robots next season.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want Fitz versus Fitz and if it's necessary to dress them as White Spy and Black Spy then that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I hate Fitz' dad more than I've ever hated a fictional character before.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I think Fitz is the most messed up because his "regret" stretches back the farthest in having his father always in his life. Everyone else's "regrets" were later in life meaning they had the same upbringing etc that lead them to where they are in the real world.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Oasx posted:

Can we settle this once and for all; this is the dialogue from the last ep of the LMD arc:

Daisy: "It's a duplicate of our world."
Yo-yo: "Populated. With all the people in the world. How could they build such a--"
Daisy: "The Darkhold."

Even Daisy knows that when it's magic she don't have to explain poo poo.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aleph Null posted:

I hate Fitz' dad more than I've ever hated a fictional character before.
Nah Chuck on BCS still holds that crown for me at least

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Balon posted:

I think Fitz is the most messed up because his "regret" stretches back the farthest in having his father always in his life. Everyone else's "regrets" were later in life meaning they had the same upbringing etc that lead them to where they are in the real world.

Fitz is also the only one being constantly monitored by people that know exactly what's going on (Aida and the construct of his father), he is being way more closely guarded/used/trained/tricked/brainwashed than anyone else is/was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
In this universe, Simmons never managed to use the cosmic cube in order to change Fitz from his true personality.

• Locked thread