Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The pic of him and Broussard after KD left for Golden State should win an award

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

There's other firings that won't be confirmed via their own tweets

Such as

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/857728806081122304

our national nightmare has ended

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I can't find the clip, but when kind of famous BBC Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles announced he was stepping down from his show, he asked his listeners to send out as many prank texts from pun laden names as they possibly could to local or national radio, just to see if people wouldn't clock on that they were in fact just doing it to make the DJs look stupid. One sent a text message into, I think Talksport under the pseudonym Toby Le Rone (Toblerone being a chocolate bar). The presenters not only clocked on that they had been pranked but then went on an extended rant about people sending in prank texts. Of course Moyles then played out they whole rant on his show

Haven't a bunch of football websites reported transfers with names like I.P Freely?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

It is big, and he is always the guy that everyone on ESPN namechecks when they have to say another ESPN personality they like in an interview or something.

Peanut President posted:

I mean you say that but if nobody gives a gently caress about Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, Football, or Car Racing, why would an advertiser give money to a sports network?

They kind of aren't, that's the problem beyond viewership drop is that that these sports haven't drawn the level of ad revenue to justify what ESPN spent on them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not that I think Fox/FS1 is some fantastically amazing place but on a smaller scale they already started doing what ESPN is now doing. The thing with Fox is they don't have the live sports to boost ratings. The 3 big things they have is Fox NFL, MLB playoffs, and I guess the upcoming world cup. But theres a reason they built their entire schedule around talking heads. It's cheaper and it gets some (bad) ratings.

In a way its sad, because I am nostalgic for my youth where I'd watch Sportscenter all day and read Page 2 and things...but really the reality is I either go to Youtube to watch a highlight as the NBA just allows people to do full game super cut highlights that are like 8 minutes. Or I go to the offical sports site and watch a 2 minute version. I'm not waiting around 45 minutes to see a 30 second 2 play highlight of my team.

And as far as cutting a lot of writers it sucks. Its loving crazy that I rembember reading Jim Caple in high school on Page 2. I'm old now.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I wonder if we'll see a few more that just have contracts left to expire.

The whole thing sucks. Does feel like there is/was a bubble of sorts for sports journalists/broadcasters that was bound to pop. Just too many outlets where people are doing it for free (or almost free).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Haven't a bunch of football websites reported transfers with names like I.P Freely?

Nothing beats the Brazilian defender whose transfer was met with "Fucks off to Benfica"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Apparently the word going around is that ESPN is trying to re-negotiate cheaper contracts with guys, and the ones that can't or won't will be cut. So we probably haven't seen the last of the big-name layoffs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

Apparently the word going around is that ESPN is trying to re-negotiate cheaper contracts with guys, and the ones that can't or won't will be cut. So we probably haven't seen the last of the big-name layoffs.

I hope Rovell walks into Skipper's office with a giant binder full of twitter metrics and Skipper just says "get the gently caress out of here"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Wouldn't it be amazing if we are left with PTI and LeBatard as the only talking head shows.

I would say maybe ATH for sentimental reasons but Papi wins out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

I was pleasantly surprised that Bob Ley survived, and now I'm worried again.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

El Gallinero Gros posted:

of course, and then there's the "I've seen player X in a chip shop in Y"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Benne posted:

Yes like Karl Ravich and a few others.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
that list of people they were trying to scale back the duties of that had Ravich and Russilo on it wound up being a fake story that got leaked by a rival agency with a grudge

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Russillo's supposed to be back in the radio slot on Monday. I wish I had the day off so I could watch and see what it's like.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I was pleasantly surprised that Bob Ley survived, and now I'm worried again.

Bob's been there from Day 1 and there'd be riots in Bristol if he was fired.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, and Bob does awesome work with OTL. You can tell that's his baby and it'd probably fall apart without him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Bob's been there from Day 1 and there'd be riots in Bristol if he was fired.

iospace posted:

Yeah, and Bob does awesome work with OTL. You can tell that's his baby and it'd probably fall apart without him.

All true, but I believe that matters to Disney stockholders who want blood very little.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

All true, but I believe that matters to Disney stockholders who want blood very little.

Disney is giving a number and doesn't give a poo poo who it is for the most part so long as that number is met.

It's the brass at ESPN doing the firings that aren't dumb enough to fire Bob Ley.

This is bad enough for morale but firing Bob Ley is like dropping a nuke on morale.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Disney is giving a number and doesn't give a poo poo who it is for the most part so long as that number is met.

Yeah, ESPN boils down to a line number for Disney, which sounds callous...because it is. It's how this kinda thing goes though, and tbf Disney didn't make ESPN build those giant-rear end new sets and overpay for MNF and all that other stuff. It really sucks but that's business for ya :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah, ESPN boils down to a line number for Disney, which sounds callous...because it is. It's how this kinda thing goes though, and tbf Disney didn't make ESPN build those giant-rear end new sets and overpay for MNF and all that other stuff. It really sucks but that's business for ya :(

sounds like it's time to seize the means of production :clint: :ussr:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kind of funny and/or sad that ESPN management did all this bloodletting just to make shareholders in Disney happy, but all it's really going to do from a PR standpoint is make it look like ESPN is going downhill and make another round of layoffs that much more likely.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All Disney needs to do is control ESPN's losses until someone like Fox or AT&T (aka Time-Warner/TNT/etc) offers to buy it from them.

The big overpriced contracts to show sports on their channels are more lucrative to potential buyers than the sportswriters are.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
At some point you'd think Disney would demand that ESPN shift some live sports back to ABC. With the number of ESPN subscribers dwindling by the minute and ABC's paltry ratings, it seems like a no-brainer. At the very least you'd be able to charge more for ads, putting a tiny dent in the huge amounts they're paying to air those games.

You might say "yeah but then that takes away one of the reason to have ESPN and they'll lose more subscribers" but I doubt that's true. That one article said something like 60% of cable subscribers never watched ESPN so the overall drop in cable subscribers across the board is what has killed ESPN. The diehard ESPN viewer isn't cancelling cable because they can watch the college football national championship is back on ABC instead of ESPN.

Basically I'm just salty still that the national championship is on ESPN and not ABC.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

At some point you'd think Disney would demand that ESPN shift some live sports back to ABC. With the number of ESPN subscribers dwindling by the minute and ABC's paltry ratings, it seems like a no-brainer. At the very least you'd be able to charge more for ads, putting a tiny dent in the huge amounts they're paying to air those games.

You might say "yeah but then that takes away one of the reason to have ESPN and they'll lose more subscribers" but I doubt that's true. That one article said something like 60% of cable subscribers never watched ESPN so the overall drop in cable subscribers across the board is what has killed ESPN. The diehard ESPN viewer isn't cancelling cable because they can watch the college football national championship is back on ABC instead of ESPN.

Basically I'm just salty still that the national championship is on ESPN and not ABC.

The problem with OTA broadcasts is this: Old people.

Old people are the most likely to write or call in complaints if even the slightest thing is wrong. So they're settling in on Monday night, expecting a nice evening with whatever show ABC has on.

Oh, there's sports on?

WHY ISN'T MY SHOW ON, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! THEY GOT RID OF MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!

It's one thing when the broadcasts are on Saturday, night or day (because that's where you dump re-runs and infomercials), or Sunday afternoon (same deal). When you have to bump a regularly scheduled show that would normally have a new episode, old people get reaaaaaaally upset.

And guess who's more likely to have a cable subscription. Yup, olds.

e: this is also a problem that CBS is running into. The length of NFL games is pushing their nightly broadcasts back. CBS does not preempt any of their shows at night. So guess what, local news gets pushed back. People want their local news at the time it's normally on, dammit. So they're jumping over to Fox or ABC, because Fox's usually starts an hour early or whatever (their normal programming ends an hour earlier normally than the other three), and ABC doesn't have football, and the local CBS affiliates are losing money because their bread and butter is the local news.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 30, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And yet, CBS gave up one of their most-watched nights of prime time to air more NFL games. Because it is guaranteed ratings compared to CSI: Tucson or whatever else they'd be airing that night. And those are BAD games that CBS paid MORE for.

ESPN wouldn't have to pay an extra dime to shift a dozen college or NFL games to ABC instead of ESPN. The whole reason they shifted the stuff onto ESPN to begin with was to jack up the carriage fee for ESPN which worked great in the short term but has bitten them in the rear end in the long term.

And no, old people aren't going to cancel cable because ABC moved Dancing with the Stars to another night. That makes zero sense.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

iospace posted:

The problem with OTA broadcasts is this: Old people.

This isn't old people. If you don't like sports it just straight up sucks that they're pushing away the regular schedule. I didn't like any sports on TV until I was in my twenties and neither did my parents (my dad still doesn't.) Nothing was annoying like Frasier being pushed back for an A's game or something when growing up.

And plenty of people under 40 were pissed about Saturday Night Live being pushed back for the XFL, least of all the SNL cast.

Mahoning posted:

There's two assets to ESPN:

1) Live sports contracts
2) At least two channels carried by almost all carriers

Both are very expensive. Disney spent a goddamn fortune to buy the Family Channel about 15 years ago (they overpaid because Eisner was desperate) but the appeal of the channel was that it was already on systems nationwide as part of the basic package. It isn't living in some "Variety Pak" tier like TOONDisney or whatever. Cord cutting has also reduced the value of this, as well as skinny packages that aren't carrying ESPN, but ironically this is because of carriage fees among which ESPN's is the highest. If Disney sells the sports contracts, they could convert ESPN to non-sports channels though they'd have to accept (probably) a lower carriage fee, because there's no point to a sports channel that doesn't have the rights to sports. On the other hand, they could move the live sports to ABC and sell the cable channels to someone else.

The key is somewhere in the middle, and there are other giant media companies making sports work better than ABC/ESPN are. Given how much people seem to love TNT's production of the NBA, that's why I floated that Time Warner (which is now owned by AT&T sans Time Warner Cable) might be interested in, say, buying ESPN's basketball rights and the ESPN2 channel, and blowing up that programming block into a station there.

That might not be realistic, but either way, I can't see ESPN continuing in it's current state for too much longer.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 30, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They don't want to put the sports on ABC too frequently because it basically cannibalizes themselves. Look at Monday nights.

They get the men watching Monday night football and dedicate the night on ABC to the Bachelor/Bachelorette and Dancing with the Stars to capture women and others.

If you put the sports on ABC, ESPN has lower viewership and thus won't be able to charge as much during corresponding programming for ads.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Once Monday Night Football ended on ABC I think they took the strategy of being very female-oriented

Even boils down right to their news division

And they decided hey, ESPN was very profitable, let's put most of the sports there

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dave Meltzer says that NBA is doing "better than usual" for the playoffs and he's usually pretty good with this sort of thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Vertical Lime posted:

Once Monday Night Football ended on ABC I think they took the strategy of being very female-oriented

ABC is "something for the whole family" which is why they trial balloon stuff like The Muppets or Designated Survivor, it's just that stuff aimed largley at women like DWTS and Once Upon A Time has had success while the shows aimed at men are often unsuccessful or bad or ended. Boston Legal kept going several years after MNF, and that was a Men Behaving Badly type show. Their sort of pre-packaged Modern Family clones for minorities have had some success, too.

But hey, Last Man Standing keeps justifying renewal so I guess we can overlook it's being terrible.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 30, 2017

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

This isn't old people. If you don't like sports it just straight up sucks that they're pushing away the regular schedule.

There are lot of absolutely serious younger people bitching on twitter whenever the NCAA Tournament comes around and TBS all of sudden isn't showing SVU all day

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

There are lot of absolutely serious younger people bitching on twitter whenever the NCAA Tournament comes around and TBS all of sudden isn't showing SVU all day
You should see the bitching that occurs when a local network affiliate breaks away from primetime shows to cover severe weather. Holy poo poo it's infuriating.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

That's usually justified because it's rarely "look the gently caress out some real bad poo poo is coming our way seek shelter", it's "oh hey there's a severe thunderstorm watch for a remote corner of our viewing area"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's usually justified because it's rarely "look the gently caress out some real bad poo poo is coming our way seek shelter", it's "oh hey there's a severe thunderstorm watch for a remote corner of our viewing area"
But usually the bitching that I see here is more along of the lines of THAT TORNADO WAS A WHOLE THREE loving MILES FROM MY NEIGHBORHOOD IT WASNT EVEN CLOSE HOW DARE YOU PRE-EMPT NCIS

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I saw an amber alert come up during the super bowl this year and knew that it must have pissed off a massive amount of people.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crazy Ted posted:

But usually the bitching that I see here is more along of the lines of THAT TORNADO WAS A WHOLE THREE loving MILES FROM MY NEIGHBORHOOD IT WASNT EVEN CLOSE HOW DARE YOU PRE-EMPT NCIS

Depends on your local station really. One of our local channels was notorious for breaking in to programming with breathless half hour descriptions of storms that might possibly hit the very very edge of their broadcast area. It took years of sustained complaining before they admitted they probably didn't need to do quite that much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

Even boils down right to their news division

And they decided hey, ESPN was very profitable, let's put most of the sports there

It's really sad how the ABC Sports/ABC Wide World of Sports was killed off. Growing up as a kid and considering my location? A lot of my sports viewing habits revolved around that black. Big Ten Football, IndyCar/Indy 500, and MNF were very much "staples" in that regard.

Guys like Al Michaels, (pre Jen Sterger, Joe Mixon) Brent Musburger, Keith Jackson, Paul Page, Gary Danielson, Jack Arute, Dr. Jerry Punch...icons. All really brought a great deal of professionalism that we really don't see anymore.

ESPN destroying what Roone Arledge and Jim McKay created is and was bullshit.

The big ten is on it's way out. MNF is kinda "split" between SNF and ESPN's version of it, and the Indy 500 is probably going to be on NBC in the very near future. It's very sad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You'd think I would know this, but ABC isn't in the mix for the Super Bowl because MNF is on ESPN, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

howe_sam posted:

You'd think I would know this, but ABC isn't in the mix for the Super Bowl because MNF is on ESPN, right?

I don't think so. FOX last year, CBS the year before that, NBC two years ago and this year.