Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6E_TNgCsY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Jordan7hm posted:

Aren't you in Toronto?

Yea but I'm using this example to say if O Leary became prime-minister and went on a rampage to dismantle every government institution while enriching his friends it won't result in a left leaning backlash that takes us back to a better time. Instead it normalizes what otherwise would've been unacceptable right wing bullshit and let's parties like the liberals look amazing by comparison.

I think what we are witnessing is an era where the Overton window is shifting increasingly to the right and through smoke and mirrors, internet echo chambers, denial, identity politics etc we have created a convoluted sociopolitical psychology not seen since the divine right of kings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For me, the answer always goes back to this old quote from Prince of Darkness:

YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED BY THE HOLY GHOST
YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED BY BY THE GOD PLUTONIUM
IN FACT
YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!!!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71UbC1EaSE

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Getting out of perma-lurk mode to remind you that Vox Pop Labs, the creators of Vote Compass, are responsible for mydemocracy.ca...

Granted they most likely had very specific requests, the loaded questions and overall design was sufficiently flawed to cast doubt on the Vote Compass.

Indeed, for the past several elections the grid placement of parties, at least to me, seemed a little off when I compared their platforms.

Maybe you guys have better insight.

/Goingbacktohiding

It's pretty unsurprising to me that a Liberal aligned media company has once again tried to kneecap our social democratic party by touting a "lefter than left" alternative that isn't actually all that left wing if you spend a few minutes looking into their candidates and positions.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 27, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Probably giving a crazy person too much credit but there might be a case to be made that speeding up the dismantling of Canada could be both inevitable and a good thing for Quebec, maybe BC as well. Voting in a heinous ultra right-wing conservative government might give Quebec the nudge it needs similar to how Brexit might energize the Scottish separatist movement.

It's a stretch, and putting an incredibly generous spin on what's surely low effort trolling.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

Between voting for the Conservatives or the conservatives or the unelectable dipshits or the unelectable wifi conspiracy theorists, you should just pick the honest choice and vote Conservative.

I know I'm late to the "hate on Chairmaster because he dared make a joke about not voting left wing!" , but this was a pretty great line.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Accelerationism won't work because all evidence in modern history seems to show that when things get worse, they just stay worse. Then that's the new status quo and things get worse from there.

There is no backlash. There's no limit to how far you can grind people down, short of literally starving them. They just take it and accept it and rationalize it.

Maybe some people snap, but the police are armed like the military and the rich live behind high walls. They just end up taking it out on their peers.

Things are going to be keep getting worse regardless, but there's no reason to speed it up. Enjoy the not quite as bad while it lasts.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Everyone post their favourite 90s hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5gAkna3jI

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

patonthebach posted:

Everyone post their favourite 90s hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/p-qfzH0vnOs

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think what Chairmaster is trying to say is Full Communism Now

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

THC posted:

It's pretty unsurprising to me that a Liberal aligned media company has once again tried to kneecap our social democratic party by touting a "lefter than left" alternative that isn't actually all that left wing if you spend a few minutes looking into their candidates and positions.

For about ten years I had no idea Vox Pop Labs had any ties to the Liberals (or Greens?). At the time I thought it was just being biased against both parties looking at my Vote Compass results. More and more it does look like a deliberate attempt to depict the New Democrats closer to the Liberals, and the Greens outflanking them on the left.

It's plausible, but at the same time several posters here made good points that all of these parties promote neo-liberal policies.

If you have concrete evidence of collusion between Vox Pop and political parties, by all means post away :)

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/christyclarkbc/status/857289025870110720

lmao yeah let's get in a trade war with the US Christy Clark that'll work out just great

This letter is great. In the letter she writes:

quote:

For years, American thermal (or steam) coal exports moving through Canada have been increasing due to a shortage of U.S. port capacity. In 2016, 6.2 million tonnes of U.S. thermal coal was exported through the Port of Vancouver. The Port forecasts this volume to steadily rise as coal demand rises in Asia and U.S. port capacity is maintained or falls due to state and regional opposition.

That's interesting. I wonder where she got those statistics. Oh hey, the Port of Vancouver has a website with a published yearly statistics section, let's see what it says:

quote:

Thermal Coal Exports
2014: 11,640,720
2015: 9,150,273
2016: 6,571,146
January 2017: 678,085 (-15.3% year-over-year)

Hmm, that doesn't seem like it's increasing. Okay, well maybe she's talking about the U.S. share of Thermal Coal exports increasing while Canadian exports fell...oh, all Thermal Coal exports from the Port in that timeframe were Foreign Cargo; there has been no export of Domestic Thermal Coal Cargo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

For about ten years I had no idea Vox Pop Labs had any ties to the Liberals (or Greens?). At the time I thought it was just being biased against both parties looking at my Vote Compass results. More and more it does look like a deliberate attempt to depict the New Democrats closer to the Liberals, and the Greens outflanking them on the left.

It's plausible, but at the same time several posters here made good points that all of these parties promote neo-liberal policies.

If you have concrete evidence of collusion between Vox Pop and political parties, by all means post away :)
Right, it's not like we have any historical examples of backrubbing between certain favoured media/advertising/consulting firms and the Liberal Party

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2017

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GIz4-KcPNo

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This one goes out to Prime Minister Justin <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ChairMaster posted:

Don't you guys want to the the end of things for real? Are you really content to let the status quo slide so very very slowly into the future we know is coming? To elect Hillary Clinton and Justin Trudeau and let them slowly siphon money and power into the hands of the people who already have more of it than they could ever need while we stand idly by and watch all our predictions come true over the course of our entire lives? Don't you want to see Donald Trump fire nukes at whoever he feels like? Don't you want to see the Conservatives dismantle all social supports and environmental agencies in the country and let the oligarchs turn entire provinces into the pits of Mordor in the search of petty resources we don't even need anymore? What do we have to lose that isn't already doomed?

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed isn't just a funny phrase from a weird old videogame, it's a wonderfully freeing way of looking at the world. This is what the internet was invented for, to observe and chronicle the end of society!

Are you a member of Soldiers of Odin by any chance?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like a soldier of Odin poster would be more obviously pro "Canadian values" while embracing their adolescent grade nihilism , but anything's possible

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think they're more "everything will be fine if we gently caress over non-white people" and less "gently caress everything there's no point in even trying anymore".

Either way, I'm flattered that someone finally got mad enough to spend however much money it is to buy me a custom title.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good title imo

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Take notes CI, ChairMaster is trolling this thread harder than you have in years

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I have a friend who works at Vox Pop Labs because I am part of the Canadian Intellectual Elite and he doesn't seem like the type. I once got in an argument with his roommate, also a Vox Pop Labs guy, over Quebec's ostentatious religious symbols ban, with him arguing in favour of the ban as a complete separation of church and state so that the state could be "neutral" in its dealing with all people and me arguing that that stance explicitly excludes minorities from "neutrality" and also explicitly forbids people from certain religions from participating in the state, rather than just acknowledging that people can treat cases or governmental work neutrally despite their own religious feelings, which funnily is something we never have to point out for white Christians.

Another of the Vox Pop founders is a hardcore Quebec sovereigntist.

Based on my intimate secondhand knowledge of how Vox Pop Labs works, they base a lot of their Vote Compass stuff on what the parties themselves tell them. So they reach out to parties and ask for their platforms and opinions on issues to inform the Vote Compass questions and stances. One reason why they might be more sympathetic to the Green Party is actually because the Green Party tends to be the most responsive party to these kinds of communications, and actually engages them in regular dialogue and actually answers their questions in a timely manner, whereas a lot of their other information has to be pulled from other parties' platforms and websites and is less precise. I don't think there's necessarily an explicit prejudice or any actual collusion between Vox Pop and the Liberal Party, if there's any actual bias it probably comes in the form of mutual membership in the kind of technocratic Pol-sci Department elite that runs our country.

So basically what I'm saying is that idk wtf is going on with them

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

vyelkin posted:

Effort post

Thanks! I hadn't thought of it that way.

It's unfortunate the Vote Compass is not a robust representation of which party better reflects the user. Because in my past experience it was certainly advertised as somewhat accurate. :tinfoil:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks! I hadn't thought of it that way.

It's unfortunate the Vote Compass is not a robust representation of which party better reflects the user. Because in my past experience it was certainly advertised as somewhat accurate. :tinfoil:

It's accurate in the sense that a bunch of Poli Sci PhDs looked at the party platforms and determined what they consider to be the most accurate assessment of their stances on each issue, but it necessarily loses a lot of nuance when you actually break it down into 30 "agree/disagree" issue statements.

tbh this thread might have a more favourable view of Vote Compass if we instead looked at in a sense where we all consider the NDP to be Liberal-lite anyway so they're not wrong when they say that, and the Green Party has the luxury of picking more radical policy positions because they know they'll never actually have to implement them, so of course they appear farther left on a two-dimensional plot.

Really my issue with Vote Compass is that I don't think you can accurately represent political alignments on a basic "left/right, progressive/conservative" spectrum, and that when placing the parties' positions they probably pay too much attention to what they actually say in their platforms and less to what they actually do or their vote history in Parliament, which is an understandable choice but still leads to really misleading results like, for example, where they plotted the federal parties in 2015 versus how the Liberals have actually governed:

Vote Compass, if you actually look at more than one of their graphs at a time, tends to end up putting parties along a fairly direct top-left/bottom-right line, with very few parties ever getting put in the top right (economically right-wing but socially progressive) or bottom left (economically left wing but socially conservative) quadrants. Whether that's just because they haven't been covering elections with prominent populist or libertarian parties, or whether it's because they tend to equate social liberalism with economic liberalism too much and are therefore bad at representing parties like the LPC, or whether it's because they take the parties at their word rather than their history and those stances tend to go together in party platforms, I can't say. But I do think it has a distorting effect on people who take the test and end up thinking, for example, that the LPC and Trudeau are much farther left than their voting history or (now) governing record actually suggests, because Vote Compass doesn't take into account the fact that politicians lie. And I think that's understandable since that would open them up to a host of criticisms and concerns that they probably don't want to deal with, but then does, again, have a distorting effect.

Also I never talked to my friend about the mydemocracy fiasco so I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Also I never talked to my friend about the mydemocracy fiasco so I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

The Liberal Party thought it was a good idea because they could ask vague questions, get vague answers, and then cite the vague answers as evidence of non-consensus.

Vox Pop thought it was a good idea because they got paid to do it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Whatever nerds make that vote compass thing should just stop because their tunnel-vision analysis is very bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

The Liberal Party thought it was a good idea because they could ask vague questions, get vague answers, and then cite the vague answers as evidence of non-consensus.

Vox Pop thought it was a good idea because they got paid to do it.

Yeah but there might be more to it than that. One thing Vox Pop does like to do is create these sort of "profiles" of political types, and do surveys to divide people into them. They did one a few years back for Torontonian political profiles and we had a good laugh about it in this thread at the time. So they might have been interested in the idea of finding out what kind of democratic profiles were out there and how many Canadians fell into each one, without necessarily thinking through (or at least having as a primary motive) either the functional political purposes of the LPC or the financial motives, which I'm sure did play a role.

One thing to remember is that Vox Pop is, at its heart, an academic enterprise run by a bunch of Poli Sci academics who want to publish papers based on big data surveys of hundreds of thousands of people. When you take a Vote Compass test, you're not only finding out your own stance so you can share it on Facebook or use it to advise your vote or whatever, you're also providing them with a data point, and one of the primary purposes of Vox Pop Labs existing is so they can collect hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of these data points and then conduct quantitative academic research on them. (Aside: A big part of their academic profile over the last while has been in justifying uses of a massive self-selected data base rather than a small randomly selected one, i.e. 500,000 people who decided to do Vote Compass rather than 2,000 people you randomly selected for a poll, and still get representative results for a wider society)

So I wouldn't be surprised if they had academic motives for mydemocracy based on trying to legitimately find out what people thought about underlying issues of electoral reform, in addition to the financial ones and the LPC's political ones. Again though this is all just my hypothesizing, I never talked to any of them about it and I think no matter what their motives were they should have realized what they were actually doing and done a better job of it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That's just an illustration of what a bankrupt enterprise Poli Sci has become. You can't ignore the internal dynamics, history, or webs of relationships that define each party and treat them all like interchangeable organizations differentiated only by their electoral platforms.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I wanna know if Weaver's anti-union comments are a factor when they calculate that the BC Greens are the most left-wing party.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

That's just an illustration of what a bankrupt enterprise Poli Sci has become. You can't ignore the internal dynamics, history, or webs of relationships that define each party and treat them all like interchangeable organizations differentiated only by their electoral platforms.

I agree wholeheartedly. That, and this:

THC posted:

I wanna know if Weaver's anti-union comments are a factor when they calculate that the BC Greens are the most left-wing party.

are my fundamental problem with Vox Pop and Vote Compass: they're so dedicated to the contemporary trend of everything having to be quantified and quantifiable, And statistics, and Big Data, that as far as I can tell they tend to ignore, or at least severely undervalue, things like leader comments, speeches, past voting records, staffing, relationships, etc, etc, etc., all the things that qualitative Poli Sci used to look at, because those things would introduce a subjective element into their analysis and the whole goal of political science these days is to be as objective as possible and as quantitative as possible and frankly I think that's a dumb and terrible way to approach politics and that's why I didn't want to pursue Poli Sci further than I did at the academic level.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It seems to be the same old bullshit libertarian political compass poo poo that ends up putting fascists dead center because they make some noise about unemployment (for the right kind of people) and completely ignore the history of what defines right wing outside of their lovely "every political intervention in the economy is left" blinders that essentially make Tsarist Russia and Bismarck seem like havens of socialism.

Besides the part where the libs were aggressively lying or being lied about by their water carriers in the media.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Unbelievably, ignoring the fact that the Feds are happy to shower money on any transit project, the BC Liberals, if reelected, are still going to require a referendum for any new revenue source for public transit projects.

quote:

Local mayors clash with BC Liberals over transit funding

Local mayors will have to hold another referendum to come up with the money for their part of the Broadway subway and Surrey LRT, according to a statement from the BC Liberals to the TransLink mayors’ council.

As well, the party is also saying for the first time that it will only pay for a third of the Pattullo Bridge replacement between Surrey and New Westminster if TransLink comes up with a “strong business case.”

That new position comes in the wake of the Liberal party’s recent election-campaign promise to cap tolls in the region at $500 a year. TransLink had been counting on tolls to help pay for the bridge.

Those two positions – articulated in response to a questionnaire put to all parties from the mayors’ council – have come as an unwelcome surprise to local mayors.

New Westminster Mayor Jonathan Coté, chairman of a committee looking at a new road-pricing system for the region, said residents need to be aware of the Liberals’ stance on the matter during the current election campaign.

“Voters need to recognize this could put in jeopardy light rail south of the Fraser and other projects,” Mr. Coté said.

He said federal funding could disappear in the time it would take to come up with a public-transit pricing plan and hold a referendum.

The issue of where the money will come from for the regional share of a 10-year, $7.5-billion plan for transit improvements remains a crucial point in negotiations.

Although the province and the federal government have now committed almost $5-billion combined, the region has still not figured out how to pay for the remainder.

As well, he said, if the province under a Liberal government stalls or hesitates on coming up with its share of money for the Pattullo Bridge, that could mean having to shut down the bridge completely at some point before a new one is built.

“If important decisions aren’t made soon, there’s a potential for decommissioning the bridge.”

The Liberals said in an e-mailed statement that their share of the Patullo Bridge replacement project remains on the table. “We’ve been consistent that any new funding sources would require voter approval,” the statement said.

The NDP’s response to the mayors’ council question was that it would support the mayors’ work in coming up with a new funding mechanism.

The Green Party said it would work with mayors on a rational tolling system and on a way to finance the regional share of transportation improvements.

In the survey, the Liberals provided this response to a question about how to come up with an equitable way of paying for transit expansions in the region:

“Our government has consistently said to the mayors’ council that they need to ensure that the public fully understands both the plan and the funding mechanism. We believe that it is critical that this process includes public engagement. Today’s BC Liberals respect the outcome of the 2015 transit referendum.

“The legislative requirement is that any new revenue source must receive a mandate from those who would pay for it. We remain committed to working with mayors and will hold a second referendum at their request.

As the mayors themselves have pointed out, subsequent referendums on transit matters often find more success.”

The public voted 2-to-1 against a proposal from the mayors two years ago to fund the regional share of the transit network through an additional 0.5-per-cent sales tax.

The only way TransLink could avoid the referendum that the Liberal party has said would be a legal requirement is by increasing revenues from the existing sources of money it has: property taxes and fares.

Jordan Bateman, the departing local representative of the Canadian Taxpayers’ Federation, welcomed the clarification from the party about the continuing requirement for a referendum.

“When you’re bringing a brand-new form of taxation, it should go to the public. The public should have the right to have their say.”

Transit advocate Gordon Price, a fellow with the SFU Centre for Dialogue, said the Liberal party’s stance is not just dismaying, but puzzling.

Mr. Price pointed out that the Lower Mainland has half the population, provides more than half the tax revenue for the province and is the seat of a thriving economy.

Mr. Price said that, while the Liberals are the worst on transit policy, with their begrudging and anti-urban elite attitude, the others parties are little better.

“There’s an absence of the connection of transit to any kind of urban vision.”

My "strong business case" for replacing the Pattullo is that it's going to collapse and kill a bunch of people. I dunno maybe that's not strong enough.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im not sure how political it is but we got notices today that all insulin prices are going up by the maximum allowed under the law in Ontario. Same with all Pfizer drugs. Just in case any of you need more reasons to hate any politician that is currently promoting a private healthcare system like notable rear end Patrick Brown.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Unbelievably, ignoring the fact that the Feds are happy to shower money on any transit project, the BC Liberals, if reelected, are still going to require a referendum for any new revenue source for public transit projects.

My "strong business case" for replacing the Pattullo is that it's going to collapse and kill a bunch of people. I dunno maybe that's not strong enough.

Holy gently caress, gently caress the BC Liberals so loving much

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

Take notes CI, ChairMaster is trolling this thread harder than you have in years

CI's one weakness is that he actually cares

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Femtosecond posted:

I always like to remind people that voting for the BC LIberals will likely lead to death of many due to their idiocy.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy gently caress, gently caress the BC Liberals so loving much

Sounds like you have an anger management problem, this is why we need a strong stable jobs like Christy "Jobs" Clark protecting our jobs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeSevigny posted:

Sounds like you have an anger management problem, this is why we need a strong stable jobs like Christy "Jobs" Clark protecting our jobs.

Hah, I actually like Horgan more for getting a little pissed, he has every right to, Christy is such a lying destructive corrupt pile of poo poo, I'd be mad too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MikeSevigny posted:

Don't forget our kids!