Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think the mats used for the starter sets for Infinity are something like 32" x 32", so small enough to fit on a typical kitchen table. But yeah, for tournament play it's designed for 4' x 4'. You can play it on less, but if someone's using a spammy list it can start to feel a little crowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Chill la Chill posted:

Weird then that people who play those games will rightly call out the company's bullshit (go check the MTG thread right now if you don't believe me) but GW is the only one where people will go into other threads and "ironically" spout hugbox memes about GW being the best. :shrug:

Weird that GW is the only one where people will go into other threads and "ironically" screech about how the company is terrible then come back to their safe space to complain about how brainbroke people are for not hating them. :shrug:

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Everyone posting their uncertainty about the new edition in the 40K thread must be a death threader. The true believers are hype.

GW cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Liquid Communism posted:

Weird that GW is the only one where people will go into other threads and "ironically" screech about how the company is terrible then come back to their safe space to complain about how brainbroke people are for not hating them. :shrug:

people harshly criticise other games and the companies that make them in their threads literally all the time, it's the tendency of 40k thread posters to violently poo poo themselves at the prospect of criticism that's unusual

also I don't think you know what the word "ironically" means

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
If I post about being uncertain about 8th edition, but I also play 40k while posting in the death thread, what does this make me?

I mean I know the answer but still

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

I think 40k is the only game where there are people who spend at least five to ten times as many posts defending their lovely game in threads that don't like it compared to their actual posting about playing the game itself. Even 5th edition D&D defenders mostly spend their time actually talking about playing. Liquid Communism do you even play 40k? Cause it feels like you don't given that you seem to exclusively post about in the context of telling the Death Thread that it's wrong?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You guys are really loving hypersensitive when the tables turn.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think 40k is the only game where there are people who spend at least five to ten times as many posts defending their lovely game in threads that don't like it compared to their actual posting about playing the game itself. Even 5th edition D&D defenders mostly spend their time actually talking about playing. Liquid Communism do you even play 40k? Cause it feels like you don't given that you seem to exclusively post about in the context of telling the Death Thread that it's wrong?

:siren: New requirement to criticize people on the internet: you must post less than them! This is the LAW as given out by the high internet judge, Terrible Opinions! :siren:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hamshot a man who aspires to one day play 40k. Truly a sad fate.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I simply cannot play it with the knowledge in the back of my mind that somewhere, out there, someone thinks 40k is a bad game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hamshot posted:

:siren: New requirement to criticize people on the internet: you must post less than them! This is the LAW as given out by the high internet judge, Terrible Opinions! :siren:

um

he said you spend more time making posts defending 40k than you do making posts about 40k, like discussing it or whatever.

he didn't say antyhing about total postcount or something

or maybe not you, but... someone. 40k defenders. He didn't specify. Was he talking about you?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

It also only requires a 3x3' table, which is pretty common, and part of what makes it so easy. I don't know what Deadzone uses, but I know KoW and Infinity both use 6x4' tables and lol at pretending that an easy board game experience requires laying sheets of plywood down on your table to create a 4-foot wide playing surface.

X-Wing also has the double-edge sword of being star wars-themed, which makes it pretty easy to explain/understand what's going on, but also immediately marks you as a star wars nerd

Deadzone uses a 2x2' mat

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Yeah the standardization of 4' as a width for wargames is very annoying because it's just big enough to be impractical. A lot of the large tables people will already have in the home always seem to fall between 3' and 4', so yeah unless you do the plywood thing or a custom table you've got to compromise and trim down deployment size or something similar. 3'x3' is absolutely way easier to find space for. I wish more games would think about reigning in the play area a bit.

yeah 4' wide tables aren't super common, so I find that most of the tabletop games--even skirmish games--require doing some work to transform the table into a bigger space. Which, coupled with having to store/place terrain, makes setting up for even faster games a huge pain in the rear end, and why I really like X-Wing for quick casual weeknight gaming. It helps that my kitchen table is 3x3 and expands out to a convenient 5x3 size which leaves lots of room to hold templates, cards, and tokens.

NTRabbit posted:

Deadzone uses a 2x2' mat

Neat. So is Deadzone fun? One of my gaming bros picked up a metric fuckton of the terrain last year when it was all being sold fairly cheap and it looked pretty well made. What's the deal with the game?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

um

he said you spend more time making posts defending 40k than you do making posts about 40k, like discussing it or whatever.

he didn't say antyhing about total postcount or something

or maybe not you, but... someone. 40k defenders. He didn't specify. Was he talking about you?

If I kept up with discussing the wrong opinions in this thread without posting "at least five to ten times as many posts" I'd be doing 50* posts an hour in the 40k thread. I only have so much of my time per day posting on this dead gay forum, so he's effectively saying that. Capiche?

*approximate value, you pedantic dickhe- wonderful person you.

I think 40k is the only game where there are people who spend at least five to ten times as many posts defending their lovely game in threads that don't like it compared to their actual posting about playing the game itself.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah 4' wide tables aren't super common, so I find that most of the tabletop games--even skirmish games--require doing some work to transform the table into a bigger space. Which, coupled with having to store/place terrain, makes setting up for even faster games a huge pain in the rear end, and why I really like X-Wing for quick casual weeknight gaming. It helps that my kitchen table is 3x3 and expands out to a convenient 5x3 size which leaves lots of room to hold templates, cards, and tokens.

Neat. So is Deadzone fun? One of my gaming bros picked up a metric fuckton of the terrain last year when it was all being sold fairly cheap and it looked pretty well made. What's the deal with the game?

Yes, it is fun. It's a skirmish game, with a campaign system, and it works on a 3x3x3" cubic grid system, so that you don't need to use tape measures, and the terrain is a big part of that. The game is divided into rounds, and within each round you have alternating activations of a single mini, with each turn taking 1 long action or 2 short actions. It uses opposing d8s rolled against a shoot/melee stat line, and modifiers never change the stat line, rather they add or remove dice from the standard 3d8 pool, so it's a lot easier to remember. Models can be blasted out of squares, and take falling damage, or slammed into a wall damage, it's a very 3D game. There's also a command dice pool you can try and roll things like double activations on, minis have a hp determined by size (1-4) which also limits what sort of windows or doors they can jump through, and number of minis per cube, so an army themed as being extra tough is done with armour rather than hit points, and missions have secret objectives.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 28, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Hamshot posted:

If I kept up with discussing the wrong opinions in this thread without posting "at least five to ten times as many posts" I'd be doing 50* posts an hour in the 40k thread. I only have so much of my time per day posting on this dead gay forum, so he's effectively saying that. Capiche?

*approximate value, you pedantic dickhead.

I think you're extremely confused about what he's saying or about numbers or both

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Hamshot posted:

Lost in his thoughts, Eduardo did not hear the ork creeping up on him. Stunned by a blow to the head, Eduardo was thrown violently to the floor. The ork grunted in amusement, bending down and straddling his body. Dazed, Eduardo turned his head to look up at his enemy. The ork fellow was huge, well muscled and even attractive for his species. Right now the ork’s vibrant green skin was flushing dark in arousal. Eduardo whimpered as he realized what was about to happen.
Summoning up his powers as a Blood Angel, Eduardo bellowed in the Black Rage and began to flail about under the ork. The ork simply grunting, riding the panicked Space Marine like a rodeo bull. Already weakened, Eduardo simply did not have the strength to dislodge the much heavier ork.
All that thrashing around served to arouse the ork further. His name was Gurk, and the friction as the puny Marine flopped around between his muscular thighs was giving him quite a respectable hard-on. Gurk had meant to save the Marine for his own squad, but he couldn’t wait any longer. Whipping out his own plasma gun, Gurk seared off the back of the Marine’s armor, leaving his shining buttocks bare to the ork’s lustful gaze.
Eduardo moaned in fear, his virgin asscheeks clapping firmly together to deny the ork entrance. Gurk simply laughed, ripping off his crude orkish loincloth to reveal a thick green

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn't realize Deadzone used a grid system. That's pretty attractive, along with the small size of the table you need.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I'm working on SWA models these days. As you might expect from someone reading the Death Thread, I got out of 40k a long while back because it wasn't a very good game. :)

I'm not about to defend GW as being good as a company, except maybe in comparison to Catalyst Game Labs. They're doing slightly better than they have in the past, though, which is heartening because I do actually like some of 40k and would probably play it again if it wasn't a pile of terrible bullshit.

I'm mostly just poking fun at Chill la Chill because it's been annoying in the 40k thread to have a bunch of people who hate the game as a matter of faith keep begging the posters to be thrashingly upset about 8th ed for their amusement while people discuss what might change in a generally interested manner.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 28, 2017

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

You could've at least quoted my Biff Tundrish fanfic for the badcast of an imperial fist being mag-jizzumed in the face after docking :(

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ironically, games of 40k take so long that it would only take 1 of them a month to make up for a month's worth of posting time

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, it is fun. It's a skirmish game, with a campaign system, and it works on a 3x3x3" cubic grid system, so that you don't need to use tape measures, and the terrain is a big part of that. The game is divided into rounds, and within each round you have alternating activations of a single mini, with each turn taking 1 long action or 2 short actions. It uses opposing d8s rolled against a shoot/melee stat line, and modifiers never change the stat line, rather they add or remove dice from the standard 3d8 pool, so it's a lot easier to remember. Models can be blasted out of squares, and take falling damage, or slammed into a wall damage, it's a very 3D game.

The grid system sounds pretty neat. What are the factions like?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
GW as a company was poo poo when helmed by Tom Kirby, and since that cancer has been cut out there have been very clear and rapid improvements in the quality of GW's attitude and general quality as a company and, assuming you don't have a warhammer fantasy-shaped chip on your shoulder, they're actually pretty consistently good now as opposed to being generally consumer-hostile and Bad as they were under Kirby.

In conclusion, its okay to give GW money now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kirby is still a paid member of games workshop's executive board.

It does seem that his influence has waned, mind you. But I also think folks tend to underestimate the degree of difficulty inherent in trying to about-face an ingrained corporate culture. I hope GW can become a good company, actually, but I think they're still a long way away from that, even while there's cause for some optimism.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Actually the assumption I was calling out there was that the cost to players was 18 cents a card and not the invalidation of their whole deck, which runs a couple hundred bucks.

i know youve probably inadvertently inhaled enough resin shavings that youve got some cysts or open sores on your brain so context is hard for you, so ill break it down barney style for you son

we were talking about refunds/rebates/store credit being given for products that a company sells and then invalidates soon thereafter, correct? afaik, wotc doesnt sell individual cards, just the main decks and the boosters, all of which have a random assortment of cards. a quick google told me a magic booster pack of 16 cards is $2.99, that comes down to a little more than 18 cents a card. wotc doesnt profit off of nerds reselling cards for way more than that, so why would they be beholden to refund someone for what they paid on the secondhand market?

:allears:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 28, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

It uses the same factions as Warpath. Enforcers are space marines owned by the corporations that run human space. They have armor and jet packs and light scouts. Forge Fathers are greedy space dwarves. They have high armor, powerful guns, but low numbers. Asterians are space elves. They primarily use fake humanoid drones, but living Asterians sometimes fight as well and are brutal melee units. The GCPS are the rank and file of the human military. They use numbers to make up for their lack of equipment and genetic engineering. Marauders are space orcs who are far more cunning than brutal. They are the best organized commandos on the galaxy with rigid military discipline. The Rebs are a motley collection of humans and aliens trying to bring down the corporations. They have a wide variety of units but aren't great at any one thing. And last there are the Plague, which are a cross between undead and genestealer cults.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh I forgot the Veer-myn. They're matriarchal space rats that love chemical weapons.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

It uses the same factions as Warpath. Enforcers are space marines owned by the corporations that run human space. They have armor and jet packs and light scouts. Forge Fathers are greedy space dwarves. They have high armor, powerful guns, but low numbers. Asterians are space elves. They primarily use fake humanoid drones, but living Asterians sometimes fight as well and are brutal melee units. The GCPS are the rank and file of the human military. They use numbers to make up for their lack of equipment and genetic engineering. Marauders are space orcs who are far more cunning than brutal. They are the best organized commandos on the galaxy with rigid military discipline. The Rebs are a motley collection of humans and aliens trying to bring down the corporations. They have a wide variety of units but aren't great at any one thing. And last there are the Plague, which are a cross between undead and genestealer cults.

that is... much less exciting. Though the models for The Plague look p cool. May see about checking this out if I can get someone in my group to test it

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i know youve probably inadvertently inhaled enough resin shavings that youve got some cysts or open sores on your brain so context is hard for you, so ill break it down barney style for you son

lol imagine being this mad about a post about magic cards

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

that is... much less exciting. Though the models for The Plague look p cool. May see about checking this out if I can get someone in my group to test it

It's trying to treat late stage capitalism the way early 40k treated Thatcherism, but I don't think they're as good at it. It's also too reliant on "fantasy in space" tropes for its races.

There are some additional races in the pipeline and they're much more "alien", but we won't get models for them for some time. Frankly, they should have started with those races.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ironically, games of 40k take so long that it would only take 1 of them a month to make up for a month's worth of posting time

https://manticblog.com/2016/06/16/deadzone-available-factions/

For some reason the Plague didn't make that list, but they were a launch faction. There's also a beta list out for GCPS, who are standard human soldiers. Pretty simplistic, but Forge Fathers and Enforcers are small and elite with FF more overwhelming firepower and Enforcers more mobile, Asterians are elite synergy, Plague and Veermyn are hordes with plague more bitey and veermyn more shooty, Rebs are about using speed to avoid trouble, Marauders are mid numbers generalists, GCPS should be as well.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 28, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NTRabbit posted:

https://manticblog.com/2016/06/16/deadzone-available-factions/

For some reason the Plague didn't make that list, but they were a launch faction. There's also a beta list out for GCPS, who are standard human soldiers. Pretty simplistic, but Forge Fathers and Enforcers are small and elite, Plague and Veermyn are hordes, Rebs are about using speed to avoid trouble, Marauders are mid numbers generalists, GCPS should be as well.

So are these indicative of average force sizes or is the idea that I'd have a group of two dozen or so models and then put together a smaller list from that? Seems like a lot for a 2x2' space--what's the average move distance in terms of squares? Is close combat a thing (seems like it would be for the plague), and if so, how long does it generally take to get there?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

So are these indicative of average force sizes or is the idea that I'd have a group of two dozen or so models and then put together a smaller list from that? Seems like a lot for a 2x2' space--what's the average move distance in terms of squares? Is close combat a thing (seems like it would be for the plague), and if so, how long does it generally take to get there?

In a campaign you build a large force and choose a small team from that for each engagement. I mostly use Forge Fathers and at 100 points, a standard game, I have used as few as 3 models.

Most units can move 1-2 cubes in a turn. Some units are much faster. Others can only ever move 1.

Melee is absolutely a thing and is possible on the first turn with the right combination of deployment, enemy moves, and pre game scout moves. You get bonuses for fighting with multiple allies in a cube and for fighting against an injured opponent. It works the same as shooting with opposed rolls.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

A regular game is 100 points, and you can easily do that with just 4 minis playing as Forge Fathers or Enforcers, while Veermyn and Plague would have to try hard to push 15 minis. The starter and booster sets for Deadzone are almost large enough to play Firefight with, and basically offer you almost all the flexibility you'll ever need to play Deadzone.

The two example strike teams the rules give you for your first game (the 2 player starter is FF v Enforcers) is a Steel Warrior Huscarl (leader), a Steel Warrior, and a Steel Warrior with Dragon's Breath flamer vs an Enforcer Captain, an Assault Enforcer, an Enforcer, an Enforcer with Burst Laser, and a DOG Drone, which is 3 v 5

And what Atlas Hugged said about movement and melee - units have a x-y movement stat, x is the short action move, y is the long action move. Most normal units do 1-2, but there are some things like the Plague Dog which do 2-3

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 28, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
What's Firefight?

e: btw the Mantic site is loving terrible

e: It looks like games sized somewhere in between Warpath and Deadzone?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

What's Firefight?

Think 3rd Edition 40k. Three to four squads. One or two vehicles. Played on a 4x4 table. The mechanics are similar to Kings of War, but with the twists you'd expect from a sci-fi game with individually based models.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

we were talking about refunds/rebates/store credit being given for products that a company sells and then invalidates soon thereafter, correct? afaik, wotc doesnt sell individual cards, just the main decks and the boosters, all of which have a random assortment of cards. a quick google told me a magic booster pack of 16 cards is $2.99, that comes down to a little more than 18 cents a card. wotc doesnt profit off of nerds reselling cards for way more than that, so why would they be beholden to refund someone for what they paid on the secondhand market?

:allears:

To add to this (and this is more me adding an additional response to the post you quoted, than a response to you directly):

While it's true that the banning may affect the value of more than the card that actually got banned, it's not true that it renders a multiple-hundred-dollar deck worthless in its entirety. The reason for this is that good cards in Magic tend to fit into more than one deck. E.g. if you have a red/blue dual land (and rare lands are a sizable portion of the value of many Magic decks these days), it fits equally well in any Standard deck that has use for red and blue mana. It hasn't become useless by a long shot.

In fact, it's likely that Wizards banned the specific card they did (Felidar Guardian, an uncommon that probably runs you <$1 unless you were trying to buy it during a rush on the dealers) rather than the other half of the combo (Saheeli Rai, a mythic rare planeswalker that I think was ~$15) specifically to avoid banning a "money card". Now, Saheeli Rai will probably lose some dollar value on the trade/resale market since it was frankly a pretty mediocre planeswalker outside of the combo, but you can still play it in Standard perfectly legally.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

What's Firefight?

e: btw the Mantic site is loving terrible

New game, squad based but made to be the size of Bolt Action or 40k 3rd, talking 3-4 squads of soldiers plus a vehicle. Then they have Warpath, which is more like 40k now, 8 squads of soldiers plus half a dozen vehicles.

Same universe, overlapping minis.

TheChirurgeon posted:

e: It looks like games sized somewhere in between Warpath and Deadzone?

Pretty much this yes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

Think 3rd Edition 40k. Three to four squads. One or two vehicles. Played on a 4x4 table. The mechanics are similar to Kings of War, but with the twists you'd expect from a sci-fi game with individually based models.

ah, got it. Well, I'll see about giving deadzone a try. Would be cool to have another game that can be played in a small area/without having to break out the plywood. How crucial is it to use the game-specific terrain? Does it matter if I use the 40k-sized stuff I've already got, or do I need something that conforms specifically to the cube-based heights the game uses?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Nothing in my previous post should be construed to mean that Wizards aren't pee pee doo doo heads when it comes to magic the gathering, just that banning Felidar Guardian didn't meaningfully increase the pee pee doo doo factor

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

ah, got it. Well, I'll see about giving deadzone a try. Would be cool to have another game that can be played in a small area/without having to break out the plywood. How crucial is it to use the game-specific terrain? Does it matter if I use the 40k-sized stuff I've already got, or do I need something that conforms specifically to the cube-based heights the game uses?

As long as your terrain has evenly divided tiers of heights, then you can use whatever you want. You can't really abstract height because the game uses true line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You just need to agree in advance what height each bit of terrain is, and mentally divide it into halves or thirds, as long as you and your opponent have an idea where the grid lines are. It does help to have the Mantic battlezones or some third party MDF eventually, but scatter terrain can always be any size, and overlap grid lines, etc

• Locked thread