Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NikkolasKing posted:

What did people here think of the Red Hood movie? i saw it years ago and I remember liking it. I'm making my way through Batman everything, for the time being its animated stuff and I was thinking I'd re-watch the movie along with my first re-watch of TAS in...uh, I don't think I ever watched all of TAS, actually.

It's ok. I'd rather watch Mystery of the Batwoman again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

It's ok. I'd rather watch Mystery of the Batwoman again.

drat son

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

notthegoatseguy posted:

You didn't like Nicholson as Joker?

Nope.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kevin Conroy and no Jason Todd goes a long way.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

notthegoatseguy posted:

You didn't like Nicholson as Joker?

Not at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess different strokes and all that but I think personally if you don't absolutely love Nicholson as the Joker you're a crazy bastard with no taste

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

purple death ray posted:

I guess different strokes and all that but I think personally if you don't absolutely love Nicholson as the Joker you're a crazy bastard with no taste

I don't think I can take a Joker without a soundtrack provided by Prince seriously...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

It's cool and all, but I just wish he wasn't so pudgy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

good day for a bris posted:

I don't think I can take a Joker without a soundtrack provided by Prince seriously...

This is kind of why I like the film. Because even though it is supposed to be the dark Batman and going against Adam West's take, it combines camp and a dark tone. I think that's very hard to pull off, and I think the movie did it well. It seems like nowadays, Batman can only be campy or dark, he can't be both. I think there was one joke in all of Batman V Superman. Not that I wanted some MCU level of Whedon quips, but some levity would've been nice.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

This is kind of why I like the film. Because even though it is supposed to be the dark Batman and going against Adam West's take, it combines camp and a dark tone. I think that's very hard to pull off, and I think the movie did it well. It seems like nowadays, Batman can only be campy or dark, he can't be both. I think there was one joke in all of Batman V Superman. Not that I wanted some MCU level of Whedon quips, but some levity would've been nice.

I honestly don't think it's really at odds with the Adam West series portrayal at all in many ways. It looks darker but it's just as silly and dark as Adam West Batman, it's just different in how they go about it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

good day for a bris posted:

I honestly don't think it's really at odds with the Adam West series portrayal at all in many ways. It looks darker but it's just as silly and dark as Adam West Batman, it's just different in how they go about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NriOZ6ofj_Q

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My son really wanted to watch something X-Men so he started the animated series tonight.

Uh... killing the human version of Morph in episode 2 was an interesting decision.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

My son really wanted to watch something X-Men so he started the animated series tonight.

Uh... killing the human version of Morph in episode 2 was an interesting decision.

He gets better, kinda.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jordan7hm posted:

Prepare for Wolverine to treat Morph like Scott does Jean for like the rest of the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jordan7hm posted:

Is it still on netflix up here? I keep meaning to drunk binge watch it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

It's basically the same as what they did with Thunderbird in the comics when they rebooted the series back in 1975.

That cartoon ran on melodrama, and part of that was raising the stakes. There's death, neo-nazis, flashbacks to childhood trauma (particularly intense in Magneto's case), attempted assassination, slave labor, and alien soul-drinkers. It can seem cheesy at times what with all the screaming, but it's still good, just it's something different from Batman.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

SonicRulez posted:

Prepare for Wolverine to treat Morph like Scott does Jean for like the rest of the show.

This one's for you Morph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Man, the (charity) balls on that guy.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Hah. Thank you for linking this. Though now I feel slightly, and retroactively, embarrassed for my younger self. This was the show I got up for and lived for on Saturday mornings as a kid.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

purple death ray posted:

It was just Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson in face paint. It worked because Nicholson's normal demeanour is that of a potentially dangerous lunatic, but it's really nothing special. You could get the same performance just by having a casual conversation with him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is it still on netflix up here? I keep meaning to drunk binge watch it

Yep sure is. I watched an episode or two with him and man that is some awful voice acting. I liked the super high level of melodrama though, and the kid loved it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep sure is. I watched an episode or two with him and man that is some awful voice acting. I liked the super high level of melodrama though, and the kid loved it.

This'll probably be a great bonding experience. When he get's a bit older through him into the Claremont comics most of this is based off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're making fun of TAS, I have to post this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5v2RdxYGqk

Even a little kid can't be scared of those oversized jobbers.

Also Jordan7hm I legit recommend X-Men Evolution for your son. I could point out how the Sentinel in Evo is actually cool and threatening but more importantly, Evolution just does a really nice job with the characters and drama.

The whole series is on YouTube. I can sympathize with wanting to skip Season 1 but Season 2 has "On Angel's Wings" which I loved.
https://youtu.be/kk-5COw0cOM

Also the voice-acting in this is actually decent. It was all done by the Ocean Group who are cool people who do a lot of anime dubs.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 28, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-men Evolution is Marvel's Young Justice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

X-men Evolution is Marvel's Young Justice.

I never watched X-Men Evolution but this makes me not want to.

The only X-Men cartoon I ever liked was Wolverine and the X-Men.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-O posted:

The only X-Men cartoon I ever liked was Wolverine and the X-Men.

You are just a bastion of amazing taste

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I liked that episode of X-men Evolution where we got a flash back to the time back in WW2 when Wolverine and Captain America liberated a concentration camp and saved a young Magneto.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I liked that episode of X-men Evolution where we got a flash back to the time back in WW2 when Wolverine and Captain America liberated a concentration camp and saved a young Magneto.

Operation Rebirth. It's a good episode.

It's also cool when old Magneto is helpless and Kurt has a chance to kill him but doesn't.

Similarly there's the episode where he tries to save the petrified Mystique but Rogue just kicks her off a cliff. (sadly she was revived but what can you do it was still a powerful moment)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

That was my intent.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I don't remember a lot about wolverine and the x-men but I know I wished it had more episodes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

This'll probably be a great bonding experience. When he get's a bit older through him into the Claremont comics most of this is based off.

He's actually coming to it by way of Claremont, specifically the Classic X-Men series.

I'll look out for the X-Men Evolution show.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
For once, I agree with Lurdiak on something. X-Men Evolution largely sucks. Wolverine and the X-Men is a much better show, and one that sadly got cut short. There's honestly no Batman TAS or Superman TAS or Spectacular Spider-Man equivalent for the X-Men. All the shows are deeply flawed.

Young Justice is still much better than loving X-Men Evolution though, come on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's rather unexpected to see praise for more Wolverine overexposure.

One of my favorite things about Evolution was that, while they made the main team teenagers, they kept Wolverine as an adult. As such, no Wolverine moping about Jean not loving him or screaming JEAN all the time or any of that crap.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wolverine overexposure is definitely a problem, I'm not really a fan of his myself, but Wolverine and the X-Men was still a well written show.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Anyway, I have a ton of Bat comics to get next week but I'm also looking for animated Bat stuff.

I was watching vids on YT and I saw clips of Damian Robin and Red Robin. Does anyone know where those might be from?

Also saw a spiffy looking Nightwing kicking rear end. The scene I saw wasn't from Red Hood or anything else I recognized.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like the only animated appearance of Red Robin is in the Batman Unlimited DTV movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Unlimited

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

NikkolasKing posted:

Anyway, I have a ton of Bat comics to get next week but I'm also looking for animated Bat stuff.

I was watching vids on YT and I saw clips of Damian Robin and Red Robin. Does anyone know where those might be from?

Also saw a spiffy looking Nightwing kicking rear end. The scene I saw wasn't from Red Hood or anything else I recognized.

The other DC animated movies, like Batman vs. Robin, Bad Blood, and there's others. They're all mediocre to awful, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like the only animated appearance of Red Robin is in the Batman Unlimited DTV movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Unlimited

Interesting, thank you.

purple death ray posted:

The other DC animated movies, like Batman vs. Robin, Bad Blood, and there's others. They're all mediocre to awful, though.

Fair enough. I'll just get the TDKR movie to go along with the comic and leave everything else for later.

I got plenty of B:TAS to re-watch anyway. Speaking of which, wow, these first few episodes are pretty rough. Then again, I have yet to see a series that didn't have a few problems when starting out.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I liking Batman and the Red hood, but it has the dumbest justification for batman not kiling the joker so it bugs me every time.

This was also the problem with the original comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Years ago I watched Young Justice and while it had problems overall I enjoyed both seasons. Then it got picked up by Netflix's streaming and I rewatched the series and liked it, again. A year ago I heard that there was enough fan interest to get a 3rd season made and was pretty happy about that. It's never fun when a series ends on a cliffhanger.

Today I remembered another season might get made, or maybe already was, and went to google to find out the news.

Turns out Warner Bros wants to launch their own streaming service for just DC comic products, and that's where Young Justice is headed.

Not so happy about yet another company deciding it needs it's own subscription streaming service, and trying to lock shows I want to see behind it.