Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im doing a full map clear for yucks since this is the first league i've reached mapping on, but after legacy is over i fully intend to never see or run a residence map ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Ultima66 posted:

Also it's worth noting that what people complained about with regards to double dipping (WHY DOES PROJECTILE DAMAGE SCALE MY POISON???) is still there because that would be loving stupid to get rid of. If you made a statement like "projectile and area damage no longer works on secondary DoT effects" you'd have to explain why the gently caress Essence Drain gains no benefit from projectile damage or Righteous Fire gains no benefit from Concentrated Effect, and this is literally what most people on Reddit seemed to think the fix should be when they said "area damage and projectile damage applying to poison" was the underlying problem. Carry on scaling Spectral Throw poison builds by stacking Projectile damage. The difference is that those mods will never apply twice now.

E: Also not taking into account anything planned changes besides the ones already stated, a poison or ignite build that has 100% double dipping damage will do the same damage, 300% double dipping damage will do half as much damage, and 700% double dipping damage (hi 13 Grand Spectrum builds) will do a quarter as much. Burning Arrow/Viper Strike/Fireball on the Twilight Strand will now do twice as much ignite/poison damage to Hillock, for you racers.

I'm still learning the mechanics of this game, can you explain a few things for me?

Right now, essence drain has two parts. The projectile and the DoT. Using projectile damage makes sense that it would improve the projectile, and when the DoT damage was just a % of the projectile, it made sense that adding in proj damage would impact the DoT. Does Proj Dmg also improve the DoT, and thats what "double dipping" means? The DoT gets double the effect of Proj Dmg.

Also, now that they are changing poison/bleed/ignite to no longer be a % of the projectile and instead being a fixed amount, it is no longer affected by Proj Dmg at all? The scaling of the DoT is now separate from the scaling of the projectile, and is scaled by other things (like passive nodes).

Am I understanding this correctly?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yes to all that.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I read a bit more about this, so let me try to explain my current understanding and see if its correct. Projectile Damage will scale the projectile AND it will scale the DoT, but now that the DoT is no longer tied to the projectile, it removes double dipping. Is that correct?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

No. Double dipping is that a single modifier applies twice. Once to the initial hit, and then again to the dot. Since the dot is scaled off the initial hit, this is garbage and broken. They are making it so that a given modifier (eg projectile, or fire, or whatever) will only apply to dot damage once rather than twice.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Venuz Patrol posted:

im doing a full map clear for yucks since this is the first league i've reached mapping on, but after legacy is over i fully intend to never see or run a residence map ever again

Residence is not a great map, but it's still better than any of the ones based off the prison/crematorium tile set.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
VP needs to go right back to between Duelist and Marauder where it was originally, because it makes no drat sense (and never did) for a node focused on Leeching Life to be between two classes with Int (energy shield) as a core statistic. As it stands, the entire North-to-East quarter of the tree is so insanely efficient that you waste very few points in getting practically everything you want, whereas the South-to-West portion of the tree is absolute garbage in comparison. Life builds who need get get VP (most of them) have to then waste 10 points or more in order to actually get VP. There aren't a whole lot of options for marauder/duelist, whereas shadow/witch are freely able to choose how much damage or survivability they want.

also i casually 6Ld 2 ilvl 84+ regalias this morning, so if anyone wants to buy one (or both), let me know

pokchu fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

No. Double dipping is that a single modifier applies twice. Once to the initial hit, and then again to the dot. Since the dot is scaled off the initial hit, this is garbage and broken. They are making it so that a given modifier (eg projectile, or fire, or whatever) will only apply to dot damage once rather than twice.

His statement was correct. Projectile damage will improve the hit damage from the hit component of ED, and it will improve the damage over time from the degen component. It is never applied twice to either component. All poison, ignite, and bleed now works this way.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'd definitely recommend doing all maps on your first time to (red) maps and extensively shape from next League on. I made Shaped Strand my only T11/12 and Shaped Courtyard my only T15 this League and I still regret not reducing T13 to Shaped Shore too, it's really a lot more fun than running crap maps.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Cells is the worst map ever designed. Also not really a fan of Burial Grounds, Crematorium or Barrows.

Excavation is awful too, but only because the bosses are super dangerous.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

pokchu posted:

VP needs to go right back to between Duelist and Marauder where it was originally, because it makes no drat sense (and never did) for a node focused on Leeching Life to be between two classes with Int (energy shield) as a core statistic. As it stands, the entire North-to-East quarter of the tree is so insanely efficient that you waste very few points in getting practically everything you want, whereas the South-to-West portion of the tree is absolute garbage in comparison. Life builds who need get get VP (most of them) have to then waste 10 points or more in order to actually get VP. There aren't a whole lot of options for marauder/duelist, whereas shadow/witch are freely able to choose how much damage or survivability they want.

also i casually 6Ld 2 ilvl 84+ regalias this morning, so if anyone wants to buy one (or both), let me know

What if they put it where Iron Reflexes is currently? Then its still reachable by ES builds, but not easily; and way easier for life builds to grab. Should maybe have the no regen affect ES too, since right now there's literally zero reason not to get it on CI builds

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it should definitely kill (or at least slow) es regen

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

terrified of my bathroom posted:

What if they put it where Iron Reflexes is currently? Then its still reachable by ES builds, but not easily; and way easier for life builds to grab. Should maybe have the no regen affect ES too, since right now there's literally zero reason not to get it on CI builds
Are you talking regen or recharge? Because they are different things.

ES can't regen with VP already, even if they have ZO. It can recharge, which happens after a set duration of not taking damage and is slow as gently caress unless you build for it.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
And if VP blocked ES recharge no-one would take it, since there's no way to manually top up your ES like there is with health potions.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I think vaal pact is really overrated for life builds anyway. You don't have the recharge mechanic that ES has, and you don't usually have the same overall pool, so you're basically forcing yourself into a corner where you have to either be dodging almost everything or attacking constantly. I guess it's not as big of a deal in softcore, but I've always felt really vulnerable trying to use it in HC.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

YoungSexualNorton posted:

I think vaal pact is really overrated for life builds anyway. You don't have the recharge mechanic that ES has, and you don't usually have the same overall pool, so you're basically forcing yourself into a corner where you have to either be dodging almost everything or attacking constantly. I guess it's not as big of a deal in softcore, but I've always felt really vulnerable trying to use it in HC.

Nah, people think it's miserable and quite bad.

But it's near a requirement to play in the endgame right now so you either deal with it or go ES.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vulpes posted:

And if VP blocked ES recharge no-one would take it, since there's no way to manually top up your ES like there is with health potions.

you top up ES by leeching. yeah, it'd suck if you can't find trash packs to fill up before you fight bosses, but, uh, that's kind of how keystone drawbacks work. you get something nice, you lose something nice in return

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Ultima66 posted:

But it's near a requirement to play in the endgame right now so you either deal with it or go ES.

Yeah, no one thinks VP is fun for anything outside actively attacking monsters. VP is a massive pain in the rear end in labs, and while doing any kind of non-monster-based objectives (phophs or whatever.) And yet, you pretty much have to take it in order to do guardians or beyond. Whereas a CI build gets massive amount of luxury from it for the cost of a single skill point (because i've yet to see a build that doesn't path directly adjacent to it anyway)

Venuz Patrol posted:

you top up ES by leeching. yeah, it'd suck if you can't find trash packs to fill up before you fight bosses, but, uh, that's kind of how keystone drawbacks work. you get something nice, you lose something nice in return

and its what life users have to already do anyway

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Life users get flasks, they don't have to top off by leeching.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Would adding a flask for energy shields make any sense?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

more ehp is probably not what we need to balance ci

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I didn't think about lab, that would make VP es builds incredibly painful. I'm not really sure how you fix that though, as it is VP is pretty close to mandatory for the endgame and es builds have zero downside to taking it

maybe you just say gently caress it, make all leech instant by default and kill off VP :can:

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Atziri's Acuity exists and it owns.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Murder She Twote posted:

Atziri's Acuity exists and it owns.

They only work for crit builds and are also the third most expensive (non-relic) unique in the game

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

terrified of my bathroom posted:

I didn't think about lab, that would make VP es builds incredibly painful. I'm not really sure how you fix that though, as it is VP is pretty close to mandatory for the endgame and es builds have zero downside to taking it

maybe you just say gently caress it, make all leech instant by default and kill off VP :can:

There are quite a few ES regen builds (using ZO) that don't take VP, notably RF and some totem and trap builds.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Mystery Prize posted:

There are quite a few ES regen builds (using ZO) that don't take VP, notably RF and some totem and trap builds.

Those types of builds are what I was referring to when I said close to mandatory. I don't know of any T16+ viable builds that use leech and don't use VP or atziri gloves (though I'm sure someone has done it)

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Warchief Totems builds can do Shaper/guardians without VP but still use leech with chieftain.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Leech + life regen is definitely viable for life builds where you have a larger health pool. 10% is not hard to pick up for templar/marauder/duelist and with leech on top it can let you stand and fight end game bosses.

It is pretty rough for rangers and duelists who split their defenses between ehp and block/dodge though. Nearly every end game boss has either strong degen or really strong single hits that negate the value of only getting hit some of the time. I don't know what to do about that apart from completely redesigning those mechanics to act at least partly as mitigation instead of avoidance. Kintsugi is sort of an interesting approach but it's not enough on its own.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Magus42 posted:

Life users get flasks, they don't have to top off by leeching.

While they might get life flasks, those are usually limited to ones willed with some kind of instant mod and are for emergencies, not "topping off." In addition, thanks to the obscene flasks ggg has been adding, the days of anyone having more than 1 life flask are gone

J
Jun 10, 2001

Life flasks are poopie.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Instead of nerfing CI, which is borderline impossible to do without just killing it, they need to buff the hell out of life. Also armour, armour definitely needs help.

Maybe also tone down chaos damage?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
D3 ran into this a while ago. Dex classes suffered horribly because evasion on its own is necessarily either OP or useless by design. They ended up making Dex do exactly the same thing as Str, which fixed the problem mechanically but is stupid as hell and makes no sense. The moral is that pure evasion is terrible so make hybrids work.

As for VP, I think Atziri's Acuity is a good example of a way to deal with it. Maybe give VP a different trigger than crit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Evasion would be good if Armor was good, because Evasion can be turned into Armor (the only thing it's good for).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
All skill effects on sale this weekend, get a mystery box when you spend points.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

The Shortest Path posted:

Evasion would be good if Armor was good, because Evasion can be turned into Armor (the only thing it's good for).

its amazing that no matter how long I go without opening this thread, there is always some incredibly dumb, inflammatory claim(s) on the current page.

Maybe also tone down chaos damage?

?? chaos damage is fine. have you ever actually gotten chaos resist? if your argument is "no but i shouldnt have to because ____" then lol. if you bring it to even 0% (instead of -60%) it starts to tickle, and any higher than that its borderline ignorable.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 28, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm sorry that you prefer a random chance of being oneshotted to properly defending yourself.

Chaos damage is one of many ways they could help tip the balance back toward HP+Armor being viable compared to ES again.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I'm sorry that you prefer a random chance of being oneshotted to properly defending yourself.

wonderful strawman you got there

Chaos damage is one of many ways they could help tip the balance back toward HP+Armor being viable compared to ES again.

see above. chaos damage is fine. get resist.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

panda clue posted:

wonderful strawman you got there

see above. chaos damage is fine. get resist.

:confused:

Chaos damage being fine in a vacuum doesn't mean anything. It's one thing that affects armor builds that does not affect ES builds, therefore it is one of many things that could be tweaked as part of an overall balance change to make armor builds better. It is not the only one of those things.

Evasion is bad because if it isn't bad it's hilariously overpowered.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

:confused:

Chaos damage being fine in a vacuum doesn't mean anything. It's one thing that affects armor builds that does not affect ES builds, therefore it is one of many things that could be tweaked as part of an overall balance change to make armor builds better. It is not the only one of those things.

Evasion is bad because if it isn't bad it's hilariously overpowered.

Chaos does effect ES builds - it doesn't effect CI builds. There is a difference. CI would probably be fine if they just flat out removed the nodes behind it, which I expect something along those lines in 3.0. Evasion is fine unless you rely on it 100%, which is obviously not intended for anyone that isn't a ranged character. As a supplementary form of mitigation it is excellent. Evasion doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Evasion is a good layer of defense

It's just that we also have a type of defense that's a good defense by itself

• Locked thread