Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

That poo poo was never funny. How did that even start?

I feel like it is a good shorthand for the gentle reminder that for all our achievements and aspirations, ultimately we are all going to die, and nothing we ever have done will matter. Even if you become the most famous person in the history of the planet, and great monuments are built in your honor, everything you or anyone else has ever built can be blown away in an eyeblink.
You know, kind of like a modern day Ozymandias.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_qvy82U4RE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

That poo poo was never funny. How did that even start?

John ringo let's read thread in TFR is where it took off. People made a t shirt which is where it peaked.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's the in thing now to hate on stuff that was popular even if a bit played out (my screed included), but I feel it speaks to a lot of us in a way of seeing how stupid humanity is and nothing mattering for the most part so just live your life and be happy because not much else matters and you can't change human nature. So without further ado, SMDFTB you gently caress men, gently caress this gay earth, because i don't believe in anything. I'm just here for the violence.

:nallears:

You dropped this.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
IDK whoever the dude who got a smdftb license plate should probably be banned tho

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
this feels like a nice group therapy session

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Had a dream that an exterior-type outdoor faucet (that you would connect a garden hose to) blew in one of the rooms of my mom's house when I was trying to fix it.

Woke up, realized how insane that was, but my homeowner dadbrain wouldn't shut up about fixing the problem. Should I go to Lowes, or Home Depot? Do I need a specialty plumbing shop for that part? Should I bring in a picture of the faucet with measuring tape showing the diameter? Where's the master shutoff for the water inside the house? Is there an exterior water shutoff? Will my mother/brother need to come over while they wait to get that fixed? How expensive is it going to be? Is that plumbing contractor I know available for emergency work?

It never occurred to me until just now that the drywall might get soaked and could use replacing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Had a dream that an exterior-type outdoor faucet (that you would connect a garden hose to) blew in one of the rooms of my mom's house when I was trying to fix it.

Woke up, realized how insane that was, but my homeowner dadbrain wouldn't shut up about fixing the problem. Should I go to Lowes, or Home Depot? Do I need a specialty plumbing shop for that part? Should I bring in a picture of the faucet with measuring tape showing the diameter? Where's the master shutoff for the water inside the house? Is there an exterior water shutoff? Will my mother/brother need to come over while they wait to get that fixed? How expensive is it going to be? Is that plumbing contractor I know available for emergency work?

It never occurred to me until just now that the drywall might get soaked and could use replacing.

Go to Home Depot, buy a case of TruFuel™, and burn it all to the ground.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Go to Ace hardware.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Check under the sinks for a knob for the main cut off. Short of that, there's a water meter at the street. If it's a hall-type cut-off, you'll be turning it for a while, but it will eventually close and you can drain the house.

You don't need a specialty part, faucets are cheap, just make sure you get the right size and use thread tape when you install it. But if you've never done anything like that before, just call a plumber.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i had one burst in the middle of winter and I just called rotorooter dudes to do it because gently caress that. It was only like $200 which is pretty good for a home repair really. They had to chip off a huge block of ice and it was like 5 degrees out haha.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

facialimpediment posted:

Take pictures. Do you really mean faucet or spigot?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Y'all are missing that this was a dream and only grover would put an outdoor spigot/faucet on the inside of the house. That dream I had just triggered all of the I MUST FIX IT I MUST FIX IT OH GOD THERE COULD BE WATER EVERYWHERE impulses and once those start, good luck getting back to sleep.

Unless there's some way to take pictures of dreams, that'd be rad as hell.

In realdad world, I'm super-pumped to sharpen my rotary lawnmower over the weekend. Got the instructions and everything, just need to find a brick-and-mortar place that has lapping fluid (looking like an auto parts store trip).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my mom uses a rotary and now im searching the local papers for sharpeners too

i may say gently caress it and buy the kit for my dremel instead

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

loving hell. Someone used my ebay account to purchase a $500 Digimatic Indicator, Battery. Was able to call ebay/paypal right away and get it sorted

But right after it happened now my email is being registered on all kinds of websites, still going on. There's at least 100+ now, ugh. It's clearly some sort of bot/script

I don't think my email address was compromised, but I changed that password and enabled 2FA to be sure

Anyone ever had this happen? It's my personal email, loving hell. Not sure who I pissed off

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 28, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Should I buy a knife sharpening stone or just find a place to take my set? It's been years, so they desperately need it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

Should I buy a knife sharpening stone or just find a place to take my set? It's been years, so they desperately need it.

Just pay someone to do it. I have a friend who does it as a side business and the money he's spent on good sharpening poo poo hurts to think about

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

loving hell. Someone used my ebay account to purchase a $500 Digimatic Indicator, Battery. Was able to call ebay/paypal right away and get it sorted

But right after it happened now my email is being registered on all kinds of websites, still going on. There's at least 100+ now, ugh. It's clearly some sort of bot/script

I don't think my email address was compromised, but I changed that password and enabled 2FA to be sure

Anyone ever had this happen? It's my personal email, loving hell. Not sure who I pissed off

my poo poo got completely flooded with that kind of poo poo, addressed to Jayden Holt of london

haven't seen any real damage bank account wise though

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

315 emails now, still going

Yeah, they're using all kinds of random account names etc. I assume they wanted to do the ebay purchase and then flood my email with this poo poo to hide the purchase confirmation email I guess, who knows.

My email is secure though so :shrug: guess i'll have to forever unsubscribe to email lists now

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Last year I got bombarded with phone calls, texts, and emails from auto moving companies in Miami, Florida.

Apparently someone used my name, email, and phone number to request a quote to move a Bentley Continental from my old address to Miami.

I explained this to one of the callers and he said "oh, man, I'm sorry - when someone puts in one of those quote requests, it goes to EVERY MOVING COMPANY in the area. I think there's over 100 of us."

So keep this in mind if you need to prank someone, I guess.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
damni cant find my ebay account even I dont remember the name but I think I just spent awhile trying to log into some other dudes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You either got phished or your email/password combo was used elsewhere and they got hacked. Check any accounts for recovery addresses that might have been changed

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My pass for ebay was pretty old and I think poo poo got compromised long ago according to: https://haveibeenpwned.com/ (Great website, check it out)

So partly my fault I guess. At this point they're just simply using my email to register for sites. No indication if they're using my phone number or address...yet

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Booblord Zagats posted:

Just pay someone to do it. I have a friend who does it as a side business and the money he's spent on good sharpening poo poo hurts to think about

Correct answer. What you can do is get a good steel (not a whetstone or anything fancy) and just give each knife a kiss with that before you use it. Maintains the edge and keeps them sharp longer.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

facialimpediment posted:

That all happened to us last year. The faucet was teed off the main incoming pipe and it was a lovely mess. Tl:dr unhook the water hose prior to freezing weather, and maybe cover that thing with those foam cover thingies

Edit is the faucet broken?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I missed cable modem chat. What are the good ones to go for? I've got Comcast xfinity.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

cowboy elvis posted:

I missed cable modem chat. What are the good ones to go for? I've got Comcast xfinity.

Good and cheap. Should be all you really need

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

thats the exact same one I have and yeah its been good.

edit: or maybe I have the 6183 but either weay

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya cool. I bought the TP-Link one for 40 bucks. Had great reviews on amazon.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Finally the emails stopped, gently caress

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

cowboy elvis posted:

Keep tabs on your bill. They're still going to try to bill you a modem rental.

They did it to me.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Two Finger posted:

Correct answer. What you can do is get a good steel (not a whetstone or anything fancy) and just give each knife a kiss with that before you use it. Maintains the edge and keeps them sharp longer.
As an addendum, it's worth checking to see if your knife, hatchet, whacky gimmick pointy thing has a warranty or other service deal which will cover sharpening and general fixing. Benchmade has something like this and gave my issued knife a brand spanking new edge and cleaned up the internals after several years worth of getting chewed up.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get email notifications to verify accounts all the time, because people are apparently too stupid to sign up for websites with the correct address. I just killed some tard's twitter the other night.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
First day of vacation and my loving air conditioner goes out.

The thermostat on the wall just wasn't on. I checked the breakers, nothing wrong there. Called the landlord, they told me to check the breakers. Then they told me to put batteries in my thermostat since it runs either way.

The thermostat is back on but it's not kicking on the A/C so they are bringing me wall units to use for the weekend until a tech comes monday.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TBeats posted:

First day of vacation and my loving air conditioner goes out.

The thermostat on the wall just wasn't on. I checked the breakers, nothing wrong there. Called the landlord, they told me to check the breakers. Then they told me to put batteries in my thermostat since it runs either way.

The thermostat is back on but it's not kicking on the A/C so they are bringing me wall units to use for the weekend until a tech comes monday.

That sucks. I broke down and turned on our air on Wednesday when the temperatures broke 80. Central air is definitely one of my Must Haves in a place to live.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I sleep with it on 65 and when I wake up I turn the head on to 70 for a few minutes. Did that like usual and said gently caress it and went back to sleep because it's my vacation bitches.

Anyway I got up a couple hours later and it isn't working anymore.

I'm getting flashbacks of Ft Campbell summer days when they hadn't turned the AC on so I would have to sleep in a damp shirt just to be comfortable.

For some reason it's way easier to sleep in 110 degree afghan heat than it is to sleep in American heat.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That sucks. I broke down and turned on our air on Wednesday when the temperatures broke 80. Central air is definitely one of my Must Haves in a place to live.

My new apartment has central air :smugdog:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

cowboy elvis posted:

My new apartment has central air :smugdog:

:same:

I think we might be getting new unit this year as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nice!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wish it was warm enough yet to need to use AC :smith:

or to drive with the top down :smith:

and would stop raining :smith:

but hey it's kind of sunny today so far, for now :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
It's snowing...
I need it to be nice for once so I can landscape my yard, or paint my house.

• Locked thread