Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"A build anybody could do..."

*uses a limited-edition case*
*uses limited-edition RAM*
*gets a guy to custom-sleeve the power cables in an less-than-overnight job because he's a Youtube celebrity catering to a real celebrity*

Also, he's in LA - that case is made largely of glass and is sitting on a buffed surface. He needs to shock-mount it.

Yeah but i mean you could reasonably if you really wanted too, special parts and timing aside. Its not like a one off custom sculpture or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Regrettable posted:

This video is great and I really like the build, but I wish he would have sanded and buffed out the bumps from spray painting the case. There are a few close-ups where you can see how uneven the paint is and it irritates the poo poo out of me. It's built for a celebrity and is basically an advertisement for his skill and dedication and he couldn't be bothered to spend a couple of extra hours making it look like a professional paint job. I did that for a case that only like five other people have seen and he didn't do it for a youtube channel with 1,000,000 subscribers.

Jay doesn't really do paint, he did all the watercooling stuff and I'm sure he did not paint the case because he says during the video that it was powder coated and you need professional equipment for that.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"A build anybody could do..."

*uses a limited-edition case*
*uses limited-edition RAM*
*gets a guy to custom-sleeve the power cables in an less-than-overnight job because he's a Youtube celebrity catering to a real celebrity*

Also, he's in LA - that case is made largely of glass and is sitting on a buffed surface. He needs to shock-mount it.

I don't think that is really fair, the case is special but you could get one if you were willing to pay and possibly look around on the used market, the RAM is harder but IIRC it looks the same as the production version other than being numbered and I can hire a guy to do custom sleeving too, I'd just have to wait a week or two because for me it would not be a rush job because I'm not making the drat thing for a celebrity.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 27, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Jay doesn't really do paint, he did all the watercooling stuff and I'm sure he did not paint the case because he says during the video that it was powder coated and you need professional equipment for that.

I think you can get a harbor freight powder coating kit for $60, ask local automotive to probably sell you some powder, buy a used​ $100 oven that you never plan to cook it. So like $220-$250 for materials. But since temperature is actually important you're going to have to watch oven like a hawk. You can do small pieces in a toaster oven.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SlayVus posted:

I think you can get a harbor freight powder coating kit for $60, ask local automotive to probably sell you some powder, buy a used​ $100 oven that you never plan to cook it. So like $220-$250 for materials. But since temperature is actually important you're going to have to watch oven like a hawk. You can do small pieces in a toaster oven.

I'd think for decent results and a one time job hiring someone would be better, also the time and labor of moving in an oven, having electrical put in for it and so on seems like it would not be worth it unless you are going to do a lot of powder coating work.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd think for decent results and a one time job hiring someone would be better, also the time and labor of moving in an oven, having electrical put in for it and so on seems like it would not be worth it unless you are going to do a lot of powder coating work.

220v in your garage/shed/workshop is useful for a lot of stuff if you don't already have it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/27/15452754/acer-predator-x27-g-sync-hdr-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor-announced-specs

Acer Predator X27
4k @ 144Hz + HDR
GSync + ULMB
Tobii Eye tracking built in
1000 nit brightness with 384 LED lighting zones
178° viewing angle
Quantum dot enhanced film technology

Price to be announced. No details on panel tech, probably VA. I don't imagine you could get a 4k IPS yet, unless I'm just so far behind on tech.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 28, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
the quantum dot panel is a very new IPS, it's sharing the same one as its future competitor the ASUS PG27UQ

Both will cost laughable amounts of money

Also see the last page of the monitor/display thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&pagenumber=541#post471785748

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

SlayVus posted:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/27/15452754/acer-predator-x27-g-sync-hdr-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor-announced-specs

Acer Predator X27
4k @ 144Hz + HDR
GSync + ULMB
Tobii Eye tracking built in
1000 nit brightness with 384 LED lighting zones
178° viewing angle
Quantum dot enhanced film technology

Price to be announced. No details on panel tech, probably VA. I don't imagine you could get a 4k IPS yet, unless I'm just so far behind on tech.

Looks pretty sweet. Wish it was 32 inches though, I think 4K @ 27 inches is a bit small but that's just me.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

the quantum dot panel is a very new IPS, it's sharing the same one as its future competitor the ASUS PG27UQ

It's not a Quantum Dot display, it's Quantum Dot enhancement film.

quote:

The new Quantum Dot Enhancement Film (QDEF) developed by Nanosys and 3M incorporates trillions of red and green quantum dot phosphors into a thin film that can be used to replace the diffuser film in LCD display panels.  The conventional diffuser film consists of Yttrium Aluminum Garnet (YAG) phosphors, which is overlaid on blue LEDs to produce the “white” backlight used in conventional displays.  This causes the green and red colors produced by conventional LCD displays to be weak and dull.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Here's a QDEF write up from the people making that film: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/526856d7e4b05b8fbefaa9b6/t/52b129a9e4b05d40c788d84e/1387342249119/QDEF+InformationDisplay.pdf

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Output dynamic range over HDMI still doesn't work for me under Win10 Creator's Update with the newest Nvidia driver so is there a workaround for this? I didn't see one in Nvidia's release notes for the new driver.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SlayVus posted:

:eyepop: okay that is a thing. The panel itself is still IPS-type however, from AU Optronics (it's the only 4k 144hz panel by anyone so far), mentioned a number of times on TFT-Central http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/high_refresh_rate.htm#ips

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

spasticColon posted:

Output dynamic range over HDMI still doesn't work for me under Win10 Creator's Update with the newest Nvidia driver so is there a workaround for this? I didn't see one in Nvidia's release notes for the new driver.

Are you talking about HDR stuff like with Mass Effect: Andromeda? Just one of the things that are broken on NVIDIA's WDDM 2.2 drivers.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Nalin posted:

Are you talking about HDR stuff like with Mass Effect: Andromeda? Just one of the things that are broken on NVIDIA's WDDM 2.2 drivers.

I'm talking about setting Output dynamic range to full in the Nvidia control panel so colors don't look washed out. I just read on Nvidia's driver forums that it still hasn't been fixed so I rolled back to 378.92 so the colors on my HDTV don't look washed out. And it was installing the Creator's Update that broke it in the first place so I blame Microsoft for their lovely half-baked "Creator's Update".

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

When you guys who did the EVGA ICX>1080Ti Step Up, what did you put for the price of the ICX card?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

When you guys who did the EVGA ICX>1080Ti Step Up, what did you put for the price of the ICX card?

I thought you're supposed to submit your actual invoice?

Edit: You could just call EVGA and ask what you're supposed to put, their phone line is 24/7

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 28, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

I thought you're supposed to submit your actual invoice?

Edit: You could just call EVGA and ask what you're supposed to put, their phone line is 24/7

Well, the thing I'm worried about is that they're listing the ICX card I'm getting soon at something like $539, which would make the jump to the 1080Ti pretty expensive, considering I was already in for $620, by their metrics plus $100 for the ICX upgrade.

Also I guess there is no invoice on their website for my ICX card. Maybe there will be one in box when it actually arrives.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 28, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Well, the thing I'm worried about is that they're listing the ICX card I'm getting soon at something like $539, which would make the jump to the 1080Ti pretty expensive, considering I was already in for $620, by their metrics plus $100 for the ICX upgrade.

Also I guess there is no invoice on their website for my ICX card. Maybe there will be one in box when it actually arrives.

The card value would hopefully go off your original invoice plus whatever else you have paid in because wasn't the ICX an extra $99?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

SlayVus posted:

The card value would hopefully go off your original invoice plus whatever else you have paid in because wasn't the ICX an extra $99?

Yea, I just put $720 in for the card's value. I'm sure they can deny it, but it's better than not trying. But now they're asking for an invoice which I don't have. I'll wait until the ICX card comes in, and then maybe I'll call them if there's still any confusion or I'm unhappy with the amount they expect me to pay.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yea, I just put $720 in for the card's value. I'm sure they can deny it, but it's better than not trying. But now they're asking for an invoice which I don't have. I'll wait until the ICX card comes in, and then maybe I'll call them if there's still any confusion or I'm unhappy with the amount they expect me to pay.

Calling gives much better support. When I called at like 3am I got someone who seemed to be a native English speaker. Maybe he was Canadian...

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

I had the same situation, same question. Emailed support awhile back and they said put the MSRP I paid at the time of purchase for the original card, not the ICX upgrade card's value.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Would a DVI to HDMI converter or cable be a workaround for the output dynamic range issue on the new Nvidia drivers?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Are you absolutely sure that your HDMI TV expects full range RGB signals?
The colours may look more vibrant at first glance, but if it expects limited range it's just oversaturated.
Maybe you can switch the TV to YCbCr :420: mode?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Unlikely. I am pretty sure NVIDIA claimed that Windows does HDR now and so their new driver doesn't do it. But then they claim to be trying to find a solution, so who the gently caress knows. I'm just happy that their hotfix driver lets my laptop boot this time.

EDIT: Looks like G-SYNC is also broken with the latest drivers.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nalin posted:

For borderless with multiple windows active? That might be on Microsoft, too since they're trying to control variable framerates (in addition to their fine job with HDR) with wddm 2.1+

If it happens in exclusive fullscreen it's on Nvidia yeah.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spasticColon posted:

Would a DVI to HDMI converter or cable be a workaround for the output dynamic range issue on the new Nvidia drivers?

DVI and HDMI are electrically identical and largely overlap from a protocol standpoint, the converter is pretty much just a plug changer.

By the spec they're a mostly overlapping Venn diagram. They're mostly compatible but officially DVI has less features but is more flexible in allowing basically any resolution, while HDMI has more modern features while officially being limited to a more TV-focused set of modes.

Unofficially most implementations, at least as far as PC hardware goes, are shared between both kinds of ports and function as a superset of both, with the exception of dual link DVI. Dual link HDMI is a thing that exists on paper, but I'm not aware of any hardware implementations or cables ever being produced. Audio on DVI ports, non-standard resolutions on HDMI ports, etc. all work pretty reliably on PC hardware. As a general rule you should expect absolutely no difference between connecting a modern GPU to a modern monitor with single link DVI versus HDMI.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sauer kraut posted:

For borderless with multiple windows active? That might be on Microsoft, too since they're trying to control variable framerates (in addition to their fine job with HDR) with wddm 2.1+

If it happens in exclusive fullscreen it's on Nvidia yeah.

Not entirely sure. People are claiming G-Sync on Win 10 CU is causing flickering and screen tearing issues. I haven't been able to test myself because until just recently, the WDDM 2.2 drivers would prevent my laptop from even booting.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Are you absolutely sure that your HDMI TV expects full range RGB signals?

Yes it can display full range RGB signals (and no it doesn't look over-saturated) by changing it in the Nvidia control panel under the 'Change Resolution' page but only with the 378.92 driver under the Win10 CU so I'm just going to stick with the 378.92 drivers until they fix the problem if they ever do fix it. But unfortunately I get screen flickering and other weirdness with these older drivers after installing the Creator's Update.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 29, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So a price was revealed for the X27. It's way more than I would ever consider paying on a monitor. https://youtu.be/Dx-pujAWTbc

Potential retail price of the X27, $2,000.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nalin posted:

Unlikely. I am pretty sure NVIDIA claimed that Windows does HDR now and so their new driver doesn't do it. But then they claim to be trying to find a solution, so who the gently caress knows. I'm just happy that their hotfix driver lets my laptop boot this time.

Works just fine for me on both exclusive fullscreen and borderless, with the latest driver they released a few days ago.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SlayVus posted:

So a price was revealed for the X27. It's way more than I would ever consider paying on a monitor. https://youtu.be/Dx-pujAWTbc

Jesus Acer If I'm going to put up that money I'm buying an oled tv for not computer use. $2,000 is ridiculous.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

havenwaters posted:

Jesus Acer If I'm going to put up that money I'm buying an oled tv for not computer use. $2,000 is ridiculous.

Yeah, that makes me glad I just went ahead and picked up the XB271HU at Costco for $499.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SlayVus posted:

This thing has to be using chroma subsampling right? I'm pretty sure you can't cram raw 4K/144hz/10bit through DisplayPort 1.4.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

repiv posted:

This thing has to be using chroma subsampling right? I'm pretty sure you can't cram raw 4K/144hz/10bit through DisplayPort 1.4.

That's correct. I think it can do 96 Hz without subsampling.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

repiv posted:

4:2:2 according to Anandtech.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Eh, gonna keep my XB271HU as I think pretty much everyone else is. The price is too steep, and you add in the fact that the connectors don't have enough bandwidth to drive the panel to it's potential without compression it seems even more ridiculous.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference with regards to chroma subsampling, but my point is just wait it out until everything becomes more reasonable.

Icept fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 29, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
$2000 is directly in competition with what ASUS was rumored to be planning on charging for what's essentially the same monitor with their branding on it, so I guess it's somewhat confirmed :(

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Christ almighty for 2000 bucks I could get a TV the size of your mom.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Omnicarus posted:

Christ almighty for 2000 bucks I could get a TV the size of your mom.

sounds likes its the price of a low end mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$2000 price tag for a monitor with a fugliness/size/curve that I don't want. Thanks for the PC industry for making it so easy on helping me to save money once again!