Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, sorry, he's in Torfwall. Gisbert is in Damwald though, decent bowyer. And Hanke in Torfwall is a decent Cultist, too.
Yeah, I hired Gisbert to test whether the stats are always the same. There's also a good Miller (90ish Melee Skill potential) in the starting village, which is a background I think I've actually never used.
And a cheap Witchhunter with Cocky and Fearless for 64 starting Resolve in the keep right south of the starting village. Two or three stars in Melee Skill as well.
And that Ratcatcher in Torfwall has 40*** Ranged Skill plus Disloyal and the usual bullshit high Ratcatcher Initiative, so there's another very solid archer that'll happily sit in reserve (and occasionally trigger his catastrophic events) later on.

As much as I want my bros to be special and unique, I'm close to abusing this. I have kind of a soft spot for Bastards, Witchhunters and definitely Ratcatchers. I'm a good Thief and maybe a Graverobber, Wildman or Gambler away from just doing it.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would love the idea of a standard goon world with a standard starting team and actually discussing specific recruits and stuff. Makes them feel less random and more special even ino

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, I hired Gisbert to test whether the stats are always the same. There's also a good Miller (90ish Melee Skill potential) in the starting village, which is a background I think I've actually never used.
And a cheap Witchhunter with Cocky and Fearless for 64 starting Resolve in the keep right south of the starting village. Two or three stars in Melee Skill as well.
And that Ratcatcher in Torfwall has 40*** Ranged Skill plus Disloyal and the usual bullshit high Ratcatcher Initiative, so there's another very solid archer that'll happily sit in reserve (and occasionally trigger his catastrophic events) later on.

As much as I want my bros to be special and unique, I'm close to abusing this. I have kind of a soft spot for Bastards, Witchhunters and definitely Ratcatchers. I'm a good Thief and maybe a Graverobber, Wildman or Gambler away from just doing it.

Don't think of it as abusing it, think of it as everyone playing the same *exact* starting map :P

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
oh, and for comparison's sake, in 166270

Burkhard Whoreson is in Hornwold (but Hanke the cultist isn't)

Gisbert is in Waidtal

I cant' find Casimir so he may be out of range

After day 3 they all go Poof though

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 27, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There's also Humbert One Shot, Hunter that hangs out in Nordholz in 507bdd. 53*** Ranged Skill, no bad stats, a star each in Ranged Defense and Initiative. Expensive, though.

e: Ottmar in Goldbruch is a 59*** Melee Skill Daytaler that costs like 100 bucks to hire.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Really, don't skip the text in this game, it's pretty great:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
RIP Rabe the 3 Melee Skill stars Miller, good job getting hit by 4 attacks in a row through your attempt at a shieldwall.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I just did a run on that map or I'd be tempted. First go through I missed that witchunter and he's almost perfect for a sergeant.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rat Catchers should always, always be immense heroes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
what events do rat catchers get anyway

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I actually managed to hire the Whoreson, Casimir the 64 Resolve Witchhunter and Humbert One Shot in addition to the Miller, Ratcatcher and Daytaler. Those last three spent the first fights hiding in the bushes because they had absolutely no gear, but I did get all of them.

Of course, as soon as I got everyone geared up I immediately got overconfident, took a low-paying 2 skull contract and the Miller forgot how to use a shield and died. v:kiddo:v

They like to keep some pets that sometimes get into your food supplies and can cause everyone to fall sick.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes they can lure a cat out of a tree by pulling one of their many pet rats out and tricking it, permanently gaining Init and getting a mood boost.

They make nets sometimes.

Sometimes their rats get into the food and poo poo on everything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I actually managed to hire the Whoreson, Casimir the 64 Resolve Witchhunter and Humbert One Shot in addition to the Miller, Ratcatcher and Daytaler. Those last three spent the first fights hiding in the bushes because they had absolutely no gear, but I did get all of them.

Of course, as soon as I got everyone geared up I immediately got overconfident, took a low-paying 2 skull contract and the Miller forgot how to use a shield and died. v:kiddo:v

They like to keep some pets that sometimes get into your food supplies and can cause everyone to fall sick.

the neat thing: you can buy cloth in wagenheim and sell it in Brunwald for a nice cash boost at start.

edit: also Humbert One Shot can persist to day 4 and he's amaaazing

Ok yeah time to do this map again

2nd edit: and by a bizarre confluence of chance I now have two Warscythes at day 10. Which has made that "get friendly with a civilian faction" quest more complicated, but yowza

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 28, 2017

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Just faced Necrosavants and I assume either the thread thinks they are stupid or I missed some text somewhere on how to fight them because they sure did murder two of my best ranged dudes effortlessly while my front line was tied up on enough skeletons to be a normal fight without two boss-level enemies precision striking my ranged that are defenseless in melee. Having a 34% chance to hit at best with my 80+ melee skill bros is another special "gently caress you" when you have to chase the fucks around because the game isn't designed for having enemies ignore zone of control or body blocking as area control because moving more than three hexes means my dudes are literally useless that turn because I have no idea where the Necrosavants will go next.

I save scummed to just avoid that fort but I sure look forward to having those guys show up later to go from being outside of my field of vision to locking down my ranged line in the middle of a battle in the future. A+ enemy design.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
they're giant raging expletives BUT you can use nets on them and maces stun them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Just faced Necrosavants and I assume either the thread thinks they are stupid or I missed some text somewhere on how to fight them because they sure did murder two of my best ranged dudes effortlessly while my front line was tied up on enough skeletons to be a normal fight without two boss-level enemies precision striking my ranged that are defenseless in melee. Having a 34% chance to hit at best with my 80+ melee skill bros is another special "gently caress you" when you have to chase the fucks around because the game isn't designed for having enemies ignore zone of control or body blocking as area control because moving more than three hexes means my dudes are literally useless that turn because I have no idea where the Necrosavants will go next.

I save scummed to just avoid that fort but I sure look forward to having those guys show up later to go from being outside of my field of vision to locking down my ranged line in the middle of a battle in the future. A+ enemy design.
They are definitely a huge gently caress-you of a surprise the first time you meet them, but after that they're pretty manageable.

Keep your squishy ranged guys largely surrounded with friendlies in any fight with necrofuckers, or just leave them in reserve. Keep your guys in a cluster or two and pick one or two of the fuckers to focus each turn. They will almost always go first so just wait until they're done moving before you start running around. Make sure you move as many people around each fucker as possible to max out your to-hit bonus - move and then delay attacks with spacebar until you've done this and then go for the dogpile. Spec backstab and use swords to help with this. Keep nets on your garbage melee archers and have at least one or two mace wielders with high melee attack to stun if you're low on damage. I can usually kill at least one per turn as long as I don't let myself get too spread out. And on that note, don't move your guards and leave your squishies exposed unless you're drat sure your current focus target is going to die this turn.

If you have a super stud with a big shield and high melee defense or two, keep them out front to delay the rest of the horde - fuckers will go for the squishier targets like any other AI, they're just super mobile.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I'll try out those tactics. Not a huge fan of changing my perks to handle them specifically, but I've been pretty close to getting Backstab on some lower melee skill bros anyway so I may do that.

Speaking of maces, though, I just started using them and holy gently caress are they really good on high melee skill bros. I balked at the lack of damage and lack of 2hander versions so I didn't want to waste my good dudes on them, but being able to stun anyone, even undead for some reason, is ridiculous. I'll definitely use at least two mace bros from now on. Two Iron Lung Mace Masters can lock down two dudes for quite a while I bet. It's too bad I keep rolling the Hammer Mastery ambition because I don't see much use in them until maybe War, where the rest of them seem useful much sooner.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 28, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'll try out those tactics. Not a huge fan of changing my perks to handle them specifically, but I've been pretty close to getting Backstab on some lower melee skill bros anyway so I may do that.

Speaking of maces, though, I just started using them and holy gently caress are they really good on high melee skill bros. I balked at the lack of damage and lack of 2hander versions so I didn't want to waste my good dudes on them, but being able to stun anyone, even undead for some reason, is ridiculous. I'll definitely use at least two mace bros from now on. Two Iron Lung Mace Masters can lock down two dudes for quite a while I bet. It's too bad I keep rolling the Hammer Mastery ambition because I don't see much use in them until maybe War, where the rest of them seem useful much sooner.

Hammers are good against anything with lots of armour. You will need hammers to get through Fallen Heroes or Orc Warriors. Noble armies have a fair bit of armour too.

You can't stun Orc Warriors (idk about berzerkers and young, but you can usually kill them outright). However, maces are still useful because they make the target fatigued, and Orcs don't have very much stamina.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Throwing weapons have a bit of a niche. Allowing ranged bros to use shields is a fairly big plus; Heater shields when facing necrosavants

Javelins have better chances of inflicting injuries through armour while axes are better at stripping armour. I've had good experiences using them as first strike weapons on shield users, before the lines of battle meet. Throw one javelin at 2 hex range then switch back to regular melee weapon

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've never used throwing weapons before, but I've managed to snag some unique throwing axes from a ruin. If I use them, how do I 'refill' my stock? What if I run out mid- battle? There are only four of them after all.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
My team of 12, levels 4-7, just faced 6 Orc Young and 3 Veterans. I managed to kill two youngs before my whole party was ran over. I decided to reload, retreat from the battle, and cancel that contract. I think i did 15% to a Veteran's armor before dying.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am a fan and true believer in the "armor up EVERYONE" strategy now, especially against orc warriors. Now they bash through my lines to my "squishes" and find they can't hurt them that much while the bowmen turn into hardened knife fighters that puncture their vital organs. This also helps against necrosavants.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Locke Dunnegan posted:

If you have a character with taunt, it works on necrosavants. Taunt one who's a few hexes away, and on his next turn he'll batblob over to whoever taunted him. Makes it somewhat easy to lure them into a murder circle, but that first turn where they flit across the field and slice up your archers is still frustrating. Also, if you know you're going to be fighting skeletons, leave your archers at home and bring more melee.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CommissarMega posted:

I've never used throwing weapons before, but I've managed to snag some unique throwing axes from a ruin. If I use them, how do I 'refill' my stock? What if I run out mid- battle? There are only four of them after all.
They get refilled from your ammunition stock just like arrows and bolts. Doesn't make too much sense if you think about it too much, but eh it works.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Note that each throwing weapon unit you refill costs three ammunition from your stockpile.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

oh, and for comparison's sake, in 166270

Burkhard Whoreson is in Hornwold (but Hanke the cultist isn't)

Gisbert is in Waidtal

I cant' find Casimir so he may be out of range
Casimir might not even be there. I tried this with another seed and I can't find any of the good recruits I remember. So I assume the starting pool of potential recruits is a lot larger than the number of actually available bros.
It has to be to some degree, since settlement location and attachments influence who you get.

the neat thing: you can buy cloth in wagenheim and sell it in Brunwald for a nice cash boost at start.
That definitely helped, and I also raided a hut with some Brigands in it (east of Torfwall I think, maybe it's always there) while circling back to the starting village. That gave me some amber and a few coins, which I desperately needed so I could afford hiring all those bros, not to mention pay and feed them.
Probably the roughest first week I ever had in terms of cash flow, but worth it.

TheWetFish posted:

I've had good experiences using them as first strike weapons on shield users, before the lines of battle meet. Throw one javelin at 2 hex range then switch back to regular melee weapon
I did that for a bit, but eventually I found that I value a net and a backup melee weapon more on my shield bros. And while I always end up giving them Quick Hands at some point I'm not about to spend a perk point on Bags and Belts.
Maybe if I actually had one with good Ranged Skill it would have been different, but one of the guys I tried using throwing axes with already was a Squire with Ranged Skill somewhere in the mid 40s.

Also, about Necrosavants: I've got a reasonably good grip on just Necrosavants, although I still tend to avoid them. What still gives me pause is something like this:

Not pictured: two additional Necrosavants about to bat-port in. Luckily the first two chose to commit suicide by claymore. Still, there was a lot of armor to repair and a good dog to replace after this because I couldn't devote all my bros to the rear end in a top hat brick of Legionaries.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Necrosavants, more than any other enemy in the game, reward AI abuse. They are always scripted to charge in at the beginning of turn 3, and the other enemies have just enough movement to reach your starting position at the end of turn 2. So the best thing to do is retreat three hexes at the beginning of the battle. The Necrosavants will use up all their Action Points to double bat-port next to a bro on turn 3, and you get a full turn to wail on them. Also, they will never, ever enter a space surrounded by four bros, so you can abuse that to create safe spaces for injured brothers. Finally, if you have a really strong 1v1 bro, put him on the edge of your formation while surrounding all your squishes. I've managed to trick necrosavants into trying to duel a 2H sword bro.

EDIT:Something like this is almost perfect. The two melee bros in the back trick the necrosavant AI into believe that the claymore bros are more exposed than the polearm bros. If Wizard Styles had retreated for the first two turns, he might have also gotten a turn of just fighting Necrosavants before the Legionaries made contact.

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, about Necrosavants: I've got a reasonably good grip on just Necrosavants, although I still tend to avoid them. What still gives me pause is something like this:

Not pictured: two additional Necrosavants about to bat-port in. Luckily the first two chose to commit suicide by claymore. Still, there was a lot of armor to repair and a good dog to replace after this because I couldn't devote all my bros to the rear end in a top hat brick of Legionaries.

Also, this is just another example of how this game is not designed to be ironman-ed, at least for the first play-through. A lot of the late game enemies can wreck your band, if you don't know their tricks beforehand.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 28, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
My fear there was that the Necrosavants could ignore the claymore bros on the flanks and double team the two melee dudes in the back. That wouldn't have been an issue for the dagger bro; he could take all four of 'em. But the one with the cleaver is a reserve bro that slid into the first 12 when my (irrational) starting axe bro allowed himself one too many failed morale checks during my first encounter with an Ancient Priest and got killed trying to run away from two Legionaries. So the cleaver guy wasn't really ready to take on two Necrosavants for any amount of time.
But Necrosavants don't really seem to gang up a lot.

Also, I didn't know it's possible to effectively use feint retreats against them. That would have helped a lot there, because the issue with the Necrosavants in that fight wasn't killing them, it was that I had to dilute my line to do so and broke through the sword & board Legionaries at least a turn later than I would have wanted.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 28, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:rip: Bloody Men, killed by orcs on day four after a reasonably tough but successful mission against some bandits.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Caravan contract?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wizard Styles posted:

Caravan contract?

Nah recover some mayor's golden buttplug or whatever. Mission itself went fine, but we did take a few smacks, then some orcs tore rear end across the world to catch and murder us all.

(Game good)

e; Oh poo poo speaking of caravan escorts, I'm doing one now and two groups of bandits teamed up against me, I thought I was hosed but the Black Blades held! the! line! :mordin: and walked away with some non-permanent injuries but no deaths. I'm sure the next battle will rip me but I'm still having a blast!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 29, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Holy poo poo do not underestimate bounty hunters with daggers. Especially two working in tandem like the ones who just loving destroyed one of my flanks, causing several of my remaining bros, who were doing fine at first, to run and the rest to be overwhelmed. I don't think either of them missed a single attack as they spammed their armour-ignoring attack double-teaming one bro to death at a time, giving no fucks for shields nor defence skill

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Wafflecopper posted:

Holy poo poo do not underestimate bounty hunters with daggers. Especially two working in tandem like the ones who just loving destroyed one of my flanks, causing several of my remaining bros, who were doing fine at first, to run and the rest to be overwhelmed. I don't think either of them missed a single attack as they spammed their armour-ignoring attack double-teaming one bro to death at a time, giving no fucks for shields nor defence skill
I remember Sir Roland, an Adventurous Noble that I sent to take down a Mercenary archer during a noble war battle.
His obituary reads "Stabbed by a Mercenary".
That day I learned that enemy Mercenary archers apparently have pretty high Melee Skill and Dagger Mastery.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The tooltip for Wait Turn says something about having you act later next round, does anyone know the specifics behind the mechanic?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You simply drop to the end of the initiative order so others go first. You can only do it once before it counts as ending turn.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

marshmallow creep posted:

You simply drop to the end of the initiative order so others go first. You can only do it once before it counts as ending turn.

It also lowers your init for the round after this one, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm not sure how many people know this, but while it seems completely impossible to get more than a 5% hit chance against ghosts at range, shooting at them will get them to move:

Also, farewell Burkhard Whoreson. :wave:
I got an event where an assassin came visited me and explained that he was hired to kill the bastard but would rather not. So instead Burkhard got to disappear quietly to join up with some nobles apparently willing to start a war to put him in power. Go forth and conquer, you drunk idiot.
And I got the Assassin instead, who apart from lovely Ranged Defense should make good dodge tank:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 30, 2017

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Night10194 posted:

It also lowers your init for the round after this one, though.

Does it really? So I should really be ending my dude's turns more; they keep going after all the enemies even with init scores of 120+

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm not sure how many people know this, but while it seems completely impossible to get more than a 5% hit chance against ghosts at range, shooting at them will get them to move:

Also, farewell Burkhard Whoreson. :wave:
I got an event where an assassin came visited me and explained that he was hired to kill the bastard but would rather not. So instead Burkhard got to disappear quietly to join up with some nobles apparently willing to start a war to put him in power. Go forth and conquer, you drunk idiot.
And I got the Assassin instead, who apart from lovely Ranged Defense should make good dodge tank:

Shooting at necrosavants also makes them act. Normally they wait a turn, but if you have elevation and shoot first round, well, here they come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How many archers do you guys keep in your regular formation?