Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I was bored of bayonetta, nier just needs to add a grading system to trick people into using different moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I actually like Nier:A for having Platinum polish but not giving me any crap for not doing perfect dodge combos constantly. Isn't that what hard mode is for?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

I was bored of bayonetta, nier just needs to add a grading system to trick people into using different moves
Maybe for some people. I still feel like the lack utility would make it get boring pretty quick.

edit: ^ I mean, I think I just don't like Platinum games. I found Transformers: Devastation to be similarly boring, even once I got decent at it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apparently there's a new patch up that fixes the text corruption bug.
Fixes stutter at points too apparently. I'm seeing reports about that primarily with Pro though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 27, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Snak posted:

The shmup sections are also the most vanilla and boring possible shmup sections. "Oh a row of enemies came on the top of the screen" "okay, not a row of enemies on top and bottom of the screen!" "Oh poo poo a circle of enemies!" and that's it. Shmup section over.

Yeah... I can understand erring pretty hard towards the safe end of the spectrum from "Interesting shmup gameplay" to "shmup gameplay that won't prove impassably frustrating to people who don't play shmups," but I was pretty disappointed in how they turned out considering how much Yoko likes shmups.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Landmine posted:

Yeah... I can understand erring pretty hard towards the safe end of the spectrum from "Interesting shmup gameplay" to "shmup gameplay that won't prove impassably frustrating to people who don't play shmups," but I was pretty disappointed in how they turned out considering how much Yoko likes shmups.

It's not even about difficulty, it's just not interesting for the most bog standard tiered presentation of "fight 1 line of enemies -> fight 2 lines of enemies -> fight a circle/2big enemies" being basically every shmup section. And then the shump boss is just "shoot here, now shoot here, now shoot here" repeat FOUR TIMES. Making it more dynamic, so that waves of enemies flowed together more, even if it just meant the old ones were going off the screen instead of overwhelming you, would have made it more visually interesting. It does this once or twice in the whole game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nier: Automata is pretty clearly lacking in depth compared to Bayonetta, and not just because of a lack of a style system or medals to earn. The toolset you have is more limited with less clear utility for different stuff. Remember Bayonetta didn't just have XXX and YYY Combos for each weapon, and the ability to switch weapons. It also had a huge variety of combo finishers depending on what button combination you use, attacks where you delayed a button press, attacks for locking on and then holding back or forward, holding down the button to add bullets to your attacks, spinning the analog stick, dodge offset (which is an upgrade in Automata), spells, etc. There's a ton of stuff that you can use that flows together smoothly and each move has its own use in battle.

But again, Nier isn't a character action game, it's an action RPG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Augus posted:

Nier: Automata is pretty clearly lacking in depth compared to Bayonetta, and not just because of a lack of a style system or medals to earn. The toolset you have is more limited with less clear utility for different stuff. Remember Bayonetta didn't just have XXX and YYY Combos for each weapon, and the ability to switch weapons. It also had a huge variety of combo finishers depending on what button combination you use, attacks where you delayed a button press, attacks for locking on and then holding back or forward, holding down the button to add bullets to your attacks, spinning the analog stick, dodge offset (which is an upgrade in Automata), spells, etc. There's a ton of stuff that you can use that flows together smoothly and each move has its own use in battle.

Okay, but my argument is that outside of a grading system, you would still have most people that play the game just mash it out. I'm pretty sure most reviews of Revengence was also just mashing it out without ever learning how to parry. The grading system is the only incentive telling you to switch things up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind the depth of the combo system, because I am abysmal at inputting combos, I just mean I don't even feel like I need to change my attacks based on what I'm fighting.

Like, it's a really cool system. I like it a lot. I feel like the weakness is more in enemy design and the fights themselves.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Tae posted:

Okay, but my argument is that outside of a grading system, you would still have most people that play the game just mash it out. I'm pretty sure most reviews of Revengence was also just mashing it out without ever learning how to parry. The grading system is the only incentive telling you to switch things up.

Heck, you could play through all of Revengeance after getting the dodge move with the stupid name and just spam that all day and win.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
What Automata's combat lacks in depth it makes up for in style. The animations are incredible, everything is smooth/responsive, and the abilities are a blast to use. I feel like the simplicity leads to less random total bullshit stuff that there is in other Platinum games, which has always been a major problem of their's (although Nier still has some issues).

Plus character action games peaked with Devil May Cry 3 anyway. I already realized they wouldn't make another combat system that good again years ago.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

KamikazePotato posted:

What Automata's combat lacks in depth it makes up for in style. The animations are incredible, everything is smooth/responsive, and the abilities are a blast to use. I feel like the simplicity leads to less random total bullshit stuff that there is in other Platinum games, which has always been a major problem of their's (although Nier still has some issues).

Plus character action games peaked with Devil May Cry 3 anyway. I already realized they wouldn't make another combat system that good again years ago.

Yeah, I'm really wish they would put DMC3 on ps4. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ports of their old games are the only things that still make Capcom money so it probably won't be long.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Devil May Cry 3 is such a god-drat treat

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Augus posted:

Nier: Automata is pretty clearly lacking in depth compared to Bayonetta, and not just because of a lack of a style system or medals to earn. The toolset you have is more limited with less clear utility for different stuff. Remember Bayonetta didn't just have XXX and YYY Combos for each weapon, and the ability to switch weapons. It also had a huge variety of combo finishers depending on what button combination you use, attacks where you delayed a button press, attacks for locking on and then holding back or forward, holding down [a] button to add bullets to your attacks, spinning the analog stick, dodge offset (which is an upgrade in Automata), spells, etc. There's a ton of stuff that you can use that flows together smoothly and each move has its own use in battle.

N:A has all of the things I've put in italics (well, the bullets are fairly different, but I'll count it anyway). I will admit that most of the inputs don't have vast mechanical differences, and the finishers aren't nearly as gaudy, but it will give you different animations and combo lengths.

I do wish there were some way in-game to show the move list- I didn't even know how to trigger the air launcher attacks intentionally until I started experimenting with hitting jump+attack simultaneously.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm glad Automata doesn't have bayo's emphasis on long/short combo timings of button holds and presses, that poo poo is obnoxious as gently caress to learn. It could use more focus on shoe-guns and windmill breakdance moves of course, but then again, which game out there couldn't

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Playing on PC, game's downloading now. Should I definitely install the FAR mod that "fixes" the resolution?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Absolutely.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Cool, thanks.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yes and I have had none of the problems the PC version is reported to have (or I'm just not aware). And I don't have all of the recommended specs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seems legit

https://twitter.com/CloudXDP/status/857343027509157889

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ChaosArgate posted:

Here, I made a cut of the spoiler in English that matches the Japanese version.

https://clyp.it/ffftkfys

I've had this stuck in my head all evening. :kimchi:

Buy it nooow or you will cry all niiiigght!

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Wow, Senran Kagura and Nier together. How would someone in that target audience not get the oozing feeling of that being a huge bootleg?

I wonder what the icon is fanart of so we can get a mismatched trifecta.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Augus posted:

Is it Platinum's first stab at an action RPG? I haven't touched any of their stuff since Revengeance so I don't know what they've been up to lately, but it definitely felt like they didn't have the hang of keeping things interesting while numbers get bigger. You do like one sidequest/slot one of the healing chips and you've busted the difficulty curve so badly that nothing on normal is ever going to challenge you again, but most people still aren't going to be ready to move up to hard at that point.

I mean, it was absolutely more fun to play than the original Nier, but there are definitely a ton of strange rough edges even within the context of action RPG.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the baffling decision to lock boss phases to timers independent of health bars in a way that means if you wipe out a boss's health bar in one hit, you still have to go through every phase of the fight.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Obviously they mean "machine"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been playing through this slowly, so I only just hit a couple of quests back to back.

Wandering Couple, Amnesia and Treasure Hunt. :stare:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, those are good ones to do.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is using the counter chip worth it? It seems a bit risky.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Is using the counter chip worth it? It seems a bit risky.

It's super easy to use and good. It's as easy as dodging.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so does counter not interrupt your combos like what happens with dodges? what is the timing, do you only tilt your stick towards the mob during the dodge window, or can you hold down the stick?

im guessing you can't counter really big attacks from large type enemies

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really wish I had known recovery item prices were going to triple in route C. Especially considering the ability you get. I'd have maxed my inventory out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snak posted:

Oh man, those are good ones to do.

I did Treasure Hunt last and just went AAAAAAA as soon as I got control back and blew they guy to bits. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://blackbookalpha.tumblr.com/post/159579005775/9s-just-wanted-to-live-a-quiet-life

veni veni veni posted:

I really wish I had known recovery item prices were going to triple in route C. Especially considering the ability you get. I'd have maxed my inventory out.

Machine cores both go up in sale price and drop rate significantly the more routes you finish

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ending E question - How many times do you have to die in the credits, specifically when the squeenix stuff shows up, before you get help? I was trying for 45 minutes and thought "Well this is pretty much impossible" before quitting and looking up on youtube what the hell I was doing wrong. Kinda soured the ending to be honest.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Ten-ish? From my own experience.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Did you turn off your internet connection

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HGH posted:

Did you turn off your internet connection

Nope it was on all the time and I definitely died more than 10 times. The rest of the game was pretty good though so I had a fun time. Although something I didn't quite get was (more ending C/D/E stuff) did I miss some exposition on the whole machines infecting the androids thing and why they had the backdoor to the bunker to blow it up if they're just going to do it again? Why do the machines keep the androids around? I'm kind of confused about the whole conflict really because it seemed as though the machines were really the ones who made YorHa and who control the droids intentions in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Aphex- posted:

Nope it was on all the time and I definitely died more than 10 times. The rest of the game was pretty good though so I had a fun time. Although something I didn't quite get was (more ending C/D/E stuff) did I miss some exposition on the whole machines infecting the androids thing and why they had the backdoor to the bunker to blow it up if they're just going to do it again? Why do the machines keep the androids around? I'm kind of confused about the whole conflict really because it seemed as though the machines were really the ones who made YorHa and who control the droids intentions in the first place?

Off-screen Androids created Yorha / humans-on-the-moon in response to androids losing all purpose after humanity died out.

They created the Yorha androids with modified machine cores, because they considered it inhumane to use android cores on androids created just to die. I suppose this means they still considered machines to be completely mindless.

Presumably, they left open a backdoor that they knew the machine network would find at the right time. Probably the machine cores made it possible for a virus to travel unchecked considering I didn't see any true androids get this virus. Once the machines destroy Yorha, then the androids on Earth are left with the idea that humans are still on the moon and have some renewed purpose to keep going.

The entire purpose of the machines up to end-game was to follow their original programming of fighting the enemy, and part of this meant ensuring there was still a worthwhile enemy to fight. I think the entire game revolved around the idea of finding purpose to exist, with both sides slowly finding a purpose beyond what they were originally created for. The Yorha androids were slowly desiring other things to live for outside of fighting machines (21O's family / 60 dating / 2B9S talking about what they want to do after the war), machines were slowly figuring out other reasons to exist (Pascal's village / Forest Kingdom / The Ark).

That was my understanding anyway.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 28, 2017