Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

AradoBalanga posted:

Antonio Banderas played the character Zorro in the 1998 film "The Mask of Zorro" alongside Sir Anthony Hopkins. He then went on to play Puss In Boots for the Shrek films.

Of course, when it comes to this series, the role of Puss-in-Boots is played by the Irish cat fairy Cait Sith.

Because why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blastinus posted:

Of course, when it comes to this series, the role of Puss-in-Boots is played by the Irish cat fairy Cait Sith.

Because why not?

Best part is: Both of them use Wind based magic. Granted, Puss in Boots there is an early game demon who's known best for spamming Megaru in Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 7: 4/12-4/13: Pirates Are In This Year

We just got Ryuji. Time to fight.

Music: Will Power

Kamoshida’s cognition ain’t changin, right? Then I’ll act like the troublemaker I am!

Ryuji uses Electric and Physical skills, as I said last update. He doesn’t actually know any physical strikes at the moment, though, leaving just plain ol’ Zio to knock down these enemies. We won’t be using Zio all that much because of Ryuji’s garbage SP pool, but it’s handy nonetheless.

This is not a very trying fight.

Music: Disquiet

...How ‘bout that!?
Whoa… So Ryuji had the potential too...
Even if you apologize now… I ain’t forgivin’ you!
I told you that this is my castle. It seems you still don’t understand...

Oh…!

What’s going on…!?

Yeah, now that you mention it… But why is she even here!?

How many times must I tell you until you understand? This is MY castle—a place in which I can do whatever I want. Everyone wishes to be loved by me. ...That is, everyone besides slow-witted thieves like you.
Takamaki! Say somethin’!
Calm down, Ryuji! It seems that girl isn’t the real one. She’s the same as those slaves—a being made from Kamoshida’s cognition of her!
Are you jealous? Well, I’m not surprised. Women aren’t drawn to problematic punks like you.
Dammit…!
Clean them up this instant!

We’re outnumbered… Let’s scram before we get surrounded!
We’re not gonna do anything and just run!?

Thank god you’ve got a level head.
Ngh… Fine. We’ll expose what you really are, no matter what! You better be ready for us…!
Hahaha! I was beginning to get bored of torturing the ones here! Come at me whenever you want, if you don’t care about your life! Haaaahahahaha!
Ignore him. Let’s go!

*pant* Anyways! I don’t remember changin’ into this!

Uhh… Should I be happy about that? …Then again, it ain’t as bad as yours.
Did you find them!?
Quiet!
No. Search that way!
So what’s goin’ on? I’m completely lost, man…!
I told you before. When a Persona-user opposes a Palace’s ruler and becomes a threat to them, this happens. It’s to prevent you from being affected by distortions.
Is this… a skull?
Your appearance reflects you inner self. It’s the rebel that slumbers within… ...Not that you’ll get it.
Nope...
Then stop asking questions and accept what you see for what it is.
Easy for you to say. *gasp* Wait, we’re in deep poo poo!
I said to be quiet!
We might’ve gotten away here, but we’re still screwed with Kamoshida at the real school...
That’s quite sharp of you! ...For being an idiot. Relax. The Kamoshida in reality can’t possibly know about what happens here. A Shadow is the true self that is suppressed—a side of one’s personality they don’t want to see.
...So we’re OK?
Did the Kamoshida in reality remember about the execution?

There you have it.
All right! Now that we know that, all we gotta do is--
Wait. I guided you as promised. It’s your turn to cooperate with me.

That’s why I was super nice about teaching you idiots everything.
Huh? Cooperate?
Don’t you remember? I originally came here for an investigation. I need to erase the distortion from my body and regain my real form! That’s why we must delve deep into Mementos and--
Whoa, hold up. What’re you goin’ on and on about? We never said anything about helpin’ you out.

Music: My Homie

Huh? Don’t tell me… Are you not going to repay the hospitality I showed you? Especially you! You’re going to up and leave, even though you’re already part of my master plan!?

Is it because I’m not human…? Because I’m like a cat…? Is that why you’re making a fool of me!?
We’re busy! Thanks for everything, cat. You’ve got guts, bein’ a cat and all! See you around!
Hey! What the hell!? Ugh, seriously! Why’re you wrapping this up like everything’s hunky-dory!?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

...Thank god. We’re back. I dragged you around a lot, huh? ...Sorry, man. Ugh, I’m dead tired… How you holdin’ up?

Me too… Man, I’m gonna sleep like a rock when I get home. But drat, if what we saw was for real, this is gonna get good! I totally remember the faces of the guys Kamoshida was treatin’ like slaves. Once we make ‘em fess up to any physical abuse, Kamoshida will be done. So… wanna help me look for those guys or any witnesses?

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! Hey, so… If you’re thinkin’ of layin’ low ‘cause you got a record, I don’t think that’ll help… Everyone already knows. They totally got you pegged as a criminal.

Kamoshida opened his drat mouth!

No one else besides a teacher could’ve leaked it that fast! It doesn’t matter if it’s a student or a club; that rear end in a top hat just wrecks things he doesn’t agree with. Just like he did with me…! No one’ll take anything I say seriously. Still, those rumors about him gettin’ physical might be real. And after seein’ Kamoshida’s distorted-heart thing in person, there’s no way I can just sit back!

We should know what we’re getting into, man. I’m not saying don’t do it, but this could have unforeseen consequences.

You gotta do this! I’ll help out too!
*nods*
I’m countin’ on you! Don’t worry; I’m hyped about this too!

Music: Interrogation Room

However, you did not. There are merits to having associates… That’s what you decided. Am I wrong?

Music: The Spirit

So, we’ve unlocked our first Confidant. These are just a themed version of the Social Links from 3 and 4. The tarot motifs return and everything. Speaking of which, Ryuji is not, in fact, the Magician, as one might think from his similarity in role to Junpei and Yosuke. He is instead the Chariot, which symbolizes concepts like determination and will power, but also a lack of control and aggression when reversed.

Right. I haven’t eaten anything since lunch. It’d be weird splittin’ off now, so why don’t we grab a bite somewhere?

Just follow me. I mean, I totally gotta hear about your past!

The hell, man! How much shittier can that rear end in a top hat get!?

Are you for real? If it was me, I wouldn’t calm down until I punched that dick in the face. So… you left your hometown, and… you’re livin’ here now, huh? We might be more alike than I originally thought.

I don’t got a record like you do. I mean, that’s not the point. I guess it’s how we’re treated like a pain in the rear end by the people around us, like we don’t belong. I did something stupid at school before, too.

Ryuji shovels the entire bowl into his mouth and slams it onto the counter.

The place you’re livin’ now is in… Yongen, right? It’s rush hour on the subways. I suggest you kill some time before headin’ home.

Ryuji places more of… something into your bowl.

Just lemme do it. I gotta thank you for helpin’ me. Anyways, I got your back like you got mine from tomorrow on. As long as we do something about Kamoshida, I’m sure we’ll both feel better about bein’ at school. Oh, yeah!

By “occasionally” they of course mean “constantly.” The deluge of messages in this game never ceases.

Just you wait, Kamoshida… We’re gonna start right away tomorrow. First, let’s hit up those guys that were kept as slaves. The volleyball rally’s tomorrow, huh? poo poo’s recommended by Kamoshida. Makes me wanna gag. But thanks to that, we got no classes in the afternoon, and we can walk around unnoticed. Well, I guess we can work out the details tomorrow…

Meanwhile, at school...

I-I haven’t been sleeping well lately… Whenever I close my eyes, I keep thinking about too many things…
Shiho...

Music: Confession/Secret

Nationals are coming up soon, so I keep thinking… Should someone like me really be on the starting lineup…?
Don’t worry. Just be confident in yourself! Your skills have been recognized! It’s all because you work harder than anyone else!
….. Yeah… Volleyball’s all I have, after all…
More importantly, was that injury OK? It looked really swollen.
No, it’s nothing. It’s normal… Especially because a meet’s coming up...
…..

Um… Mr. Kamoshida told me to get you.
Huh? What does he want…?
He didn’t say...
….. Ann, I…
….. It’ll be fine! I bet it’s a meeting about the starting lineup or something.
….. ...Yeah. Well, I better go...
Yup. Good luck!

Shiho and the quiet student leave.

Hang in there, Shiho…!

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I take it you actually went to school today?

I guess you learned your lesson after what happened yesterday. Eh, as long as you’re not getting into trouble, it’s fine by me. I don’t know what you’ve been up to, but trust me, you’ll be gone if you start causing problems. In case you forget, your life is not a free one right now.
*nods*

You’re a bro, man… Welp, seeya tomorrow! Let’s save those guys who’ve been getting abused. You and me.
...Sheesh, are you even listening to me? Just stay away from bad influences, OK? Hey, I’m gonna head home for the night. I’ll lock the store up. Don’t go wandering out.

We ended up at that weird place when we used this nav app, right?

I deleted it earlier, but it came back… Think it’s being downloaded on its own somehow?

Basically, it’s gonna depend on how we use it. But first we gotta find evidence for the beatings. I’m counting on you, all right? Don’t go ditching school on me.

Music: Aria of the Soul

I thought about resuming our previous conversation tonight. That is why I have summoned you. What are your thoughts? Are you becoming accustomed to this place?

Ah, glad to hear it. It seems you have nerves of steel. Your rehabilitation determines if ruin can be stopped. Yet, such a feat cannot be done by you alone. But today, you entered a partnership with someone who awoke to the same power, haven’t you?

Involving yourself with others is an important foundation for your recovery. You’ve done well. That said, I am not advising the formation of superficial relationships. It must not be of frivolity, but a ring of those, who would, by morals or faith, lend you their strength. In other words, they are bonds with those who have been robbed of their places to belong. The expansion of said ring will, in return, help you mature as well.
Personas are the strength of heart… The stronger the bonds that surround you, the more power your Personas will gain.
There are countless people in the city who have talents that a weakling like you doesn’t. You better rack that noggin of yours and get them on your side. We’ll change that into power.

So yeah, just Social Links under a new name. But, there’s more, and that’s where this gets way more compelling.

Indeed. You should be prepared to use even myself, or your ambitions will not come to fruition. *chuckle* We have a deal then.
It feels like Igor has high expectations of me...

Igor is Fool, for the record, which symbolizes beginnings and free-spiritedness, but also naïveté. It applies more to the protagonist than to Igor, which is why it’s actually the protagonist’s Arcana. The Fool Arcana is special because it’s the number 0, which on its own symbolizes emptiness and possibility. All the protagonists of the more recent Persona games were of the Fool Arcana, and it grants special abilities to those blessed with it. I could be coy about it but there’s really no point: it’s the power to control multiple Personas.

What really elevates the Confidants above Social Links is that each of them provides specific abilities. Wild Talk lets us negotiate with enemy Shadows during a Hold Up instead of proceeding into an All-out Attack, while Arcana Burst gives bonus experience from fusion based on the Confidant Rank of the resulting Persona’s Arcana. We’ll go more into what those mean for us when we get to them.

Well, you will understand it all in due time… Continue devoting yourself to your rehabilitation.
Now this conversation’s over! Get lost, Inmate!

The next morning...

And why are they pitting us against the teacher team? Kamoshida’s gonna crush us.
We get to see his technique live and in person, though. We should totally get spiked on!
Yeah, OK. You’re gonna get your face smashed in. Just look at how banged up the volleyball team is. What the hell goes on during their practices?

Music: So Boring

As you all know, today is the volleyball rally. Head to the gymnasium once you’ve changed. Got it?

Volleyball

Kamoshida spikes...

...and the student fails to return.

So, if I’m understanding this correctly, this volleyball rally is just an excuse for the teachers, primarily Kamoshida, to dunk all over every student in school. What the hell is the stated point of this?

They show this spike from three different angles, because Kamoshida’s just that good.

The same student takes the spike right to the face.

Someone! Take him to the nurse’s office!

And Kamoshida continues on without breaking stride.

Later...

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Get to know each other better, my rear end. It’s just a one-man show for him to stroke his ego. And how he acted like he was worried about Mishima? What an abusive d-bag…! ...Well, anyways. Now’s our chance to go look for the guys we saw were slaves yesterday. Let’s look for the faces we saw at the castle. All the members of the team should be here today. I’ll be sure to find someone to spill about Kamoshida’s physical abuse. Just you wait, rear end in a top hat.

The first one that popped out was a guy from Class D, so let’s start from there. That’s your class. Hopefully you can get him to talk without any issues. People have been avoidin’ me lately, so… Oh, but you’re kinda in the same boat, huh.

Returning from Persona 4 is the incredibly useful ability to warp around the map. The areas in P5 are generally a lot bigger, so it’s a life-saver.

The rumors are only getting worse. Now we’ve got multiple convictions for murder and pull knives on people.

Let’s see if newspaper girl knows anything.

I can’t… Every time I try to look into them, the higher-ups of our school pressure me out of it.
The hell!? So Kamoshida’s pullin’ strings behind the scenes?
...Can we stop this? I’d rather not get in trouble for talking to you guys.
Tch, fine...

Are you skipping out on the volleyball rally? I guess I expect it from you, transfer.
Hey, that’s the guy who was over at the castle.
You too, Sakamoto!? What do you guys want…?

What!? Wh-What are you saying? Of course not.
It’s Kamoshida, ain’t it? Look, I ain’t gonna tell anyone you squealed. Just tell us about how Kamoshida’s abusin’ you.
I-I don’t know what you’re talking about!

I’m not! You guys are talking complete nonsense!
Don’t try n’ hide it! We already know!
You… You know? You have proof?
Well, uh… I...
This is ridiculous. Please, leave me alone. You’re really bothering me!
...All right, that’s enough. C’mon, let’s go.

Crap. If we keep goin’ at this pace, the ball game’s gonna end...

Guess that’d be faster. I’ll check the Practice Building for people before clubs start. You handle the Classroom Building. There’s a third-year on the volleyball team that I remember. I think he’s in… 3-C? He might be around his classroom. The third-year classrooms are on the first floor. He was gettin’ beat pretty badly at the castle. He might have some injuries here too… Anyways, I’ll hit you up if I find anything. Seeya!

I know. I hate rumors already, but they’re only getting more and more complex as time goes on.
I wonder if he’s all right… I hope he’s not letting it get to him too much.
That’s just like you, Shiho. Always worrying about other people before yourself. Kinda like when you were there for me…

We’ve been discovered!

...It’s from practice.
Hey, I know who this guy is. He’s that transfer student who’s been hanging out with Sakamoto...
Oh, I get it. You’re trying to snoop on Mr. Kamoshida, right? Look, our volleyball team performs at a national level. Of course our practices are gonna be tough. Mr. Kamoshida’s just dedicated to training us. Don’t believe everything Sakamoto says.

D-Don’t talk like you know!
Hey, we should stop talking to him. What if he loses it and starts attacking us? I heard he even carries a knife around. Who knows what he’s capable of.

Him too…? Man, everyone’s too freaked out about Kamoshida. But I still got a lead. A first-year, new member. He just joined, so he might not be all wrapped up in Kamoshida’s web of bullshit yet. Pretty sure he’s in class 1-B. Try the first-year classrooms. They’re up on the third floor!

Up on the third floor, we find our target.

Whaddya want?

Wh-What…!? Why would you say something like that? I mean, sure Mr. Kamoshida’s strict, but it’s like this for all the other sports teams, right? Though, the special coaching he gave Mishima-senpai was prolly too far… O-Oh, uh… I seriously don’t know anything! Sorry!

P-Please… just stop talking to me… Ask someone else if you wanna know anything more...
Attention, attention.

So you didn’t have any luck either… Mkay, let’s regroup for now. See you in the courtyard?

Music: Disquiet

It’ll be quick. Anyway, what’s with you? Like, how you were late the other day was a lie and all. …There’s that weird rumor about you too.
Whaddya want with him?

...We just happened to get to know each other.
What’re you planning on doing to Mr. Kamoshida?
Huh!? ...I see. I getcha. You’re all buddy-buddy with Kamoshida after all.
This has nothing to do with you, Sakamoto!
If you found out what he’s been doin’ behind your back, you’d dump him right away.
Behind my back…? What’s that supposed to mean…?
You wouldn’t get it.
Anyway, people are already talking about you two. I don’t know what you’re trying to pull, but no one’s gonna help you. I’m warning you, just in case. That’s all.

We just went to the same middle school. Anyways, that’s not what we’re here to talk about. I had no luck on my end. What about you? Did anything like someone’s name turn up?

Huh? I don’t get where you’re goin’ with that...
It might have been a different name...

Huh…? ...Special “coaching,” huh? True. I always see the guy covered in bruises. Let’s go talk to him before he leaves then.

Sakamoto…? And you, too…!?
C’mon, we just wanna chat. Kamoshida’s been “coaching” you, huh? You sure it’s not just physical abuse?

What’re you talkin’ all polite for? Anyways… We saw him spike you today. Right in the face.
That was just because I’m not good a the sport...
Still, that doesn’t explain all the other bruises you’ve got.
They’re from practice...!
Is he forcin’ you to keep quiet?
That’s...

Mishima, isn’t it time for practice?
I-I’m not feeling well today...
What? Maybe you’re better off quitting then. You’re never going to improve that crappy form unless you show up to practice.

Well, Mishima? Are you coming to practice or not?
...I’ll go.

Bastard...
Same goes for you. Didn’t the principal tell you to keep in line.

Nothing beats some hot, fresh, spicy sass towards an authority figure.

Hmph. Just don’t get in the way of my practice. All these unsettling rumors are making the students anxious after all.

I’m sure you’d know all about that, huh?

That’s your own goddamn fault.
This won’t get us anywhere. Let’s go, Mishima. Shujin Academy is a place where those with aspirations come to learn. Unworthy students like yourselves don’t have any right to be here. Get with the program!
Yes, sir.

Kamoshida walks away.

That rear end in a top hat…

...There’s no point.
Huh!?
Proving that he’s physically abusing us… is meaningless.

Your parents know? Holy poo poo, that’s dark.

This has gotta be a joke...
...Don’t be a pain. You don’t understand what I’m going through. Shouldn’t you of all people know that nothing’s going to help…!?
…..!

No… I ain’t givin’ up. ...I’ll try one more time to persuade the other guys. That’s… all I can do.

Back at home...

Yeah… It’s basically because Kamoshida made the volleyball team famous, yeah? Even so, that don’t give him the right to do whatever he wants!

Ann Takamaki. You met her in the courtyard, remember? You should know her. I mean, she’s in your class, dude. Ugh! What a load of bull! I can’t let it end like this. I’m gonna try and find someone who knows about what’s going one with Kamoshida during break tomorrow. Just you watch. I ain’t giving up!

Ryuji’s gonna keep trying. Good for him. We’ll see how that goes when tomorrow comes.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 26, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

I love this game. :allears:

I played the protagonist as a snarky whiner basically from the word go, and there are some glorious responses you get from people for it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, Shiho is the best. Shes the only person whos just straight up, "I hope Protag is okay" and she immediately became my favorite character, so obviously the next few hours got me.

Anns Hair is 2nd best character.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

PMush Perfect posted:

I love this game. :allears:

I played the protagonist as a snarky whiner basically from the word go, and there are some glorious responses you get from people for it.

You too, huh? That does result in a heaping amount of people telling you to do it anyway, but I guess the plot wouldn't progress otherwise.

I've read excuses for how extreme this teacher abuse subplot gets, that it makes sense because of Japanese cultural norms about politeness and respecting authority. But even so, they really do go to the far end with how hopeless the situation is. Every kid you talk to is bandaged to the nines, and they treat Kamoshida like an unstoppable boogeyman who no one will dare touch, when it seems like the solution would just be to smuggle a camera into one of those training sessions and show it to the police.

Unless they're in on the volleyball craze too or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't find it now but I remember reading someone say that this arc in particular was inspired by a real Japanese news story. This is only the tip of the iceberg, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I dunno, I kinda find 'no-one speaks up about an abusive sports figure because he's good for the sports team' really loving believable considering all the actual times that's actually happened.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The typical Kamoshida experience:
"Man, this is melodramatic, there's no way something like this could happen in real life.

...oh. :("

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Yeah this feels a lot more real and compelling than the murder mystery from Persona 4, especially considering that the murderer is only able to actually kill two people and it's before the game even really begins. Kamoshida comes off as a genuine dick and being able to see both sides of him is really interesting.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Arist posted:

Um… Mr. Kamoshida told me to get you.
Huh? What does he want…?

I can't find a picture online, but Shiho's expression here speaks volumes. Here eyes really widen and she's shocked - there's some real horror there, at getting asked to see to a teacher. It's dreadful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

geri_khan posted:

I can't find a picture online, but Shiho's expression here speaks volumes. Here eyes really widen and she's shocked - there's some real horror there, at getting asked to see to a teacher. It's dreadful.

I believe it's this one:

And yeah, it's pretty bad.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

All this buildup makes the end of this plotline feel so good.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

MythosDragon posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, Shiho is the best. Shes the only person whos just straight up, "I hope Protag is okay" and she immediately became my favorite character, so obviously the next few hours got me.

Right? Right? That part and Ryuji's introduction of believing your side of the story and immediately getting outraged on your part- they were like cool breaths of air on a hot summer's day after the cold brutality of the rest of the opening. It actually gives you a reason to continue with the plot beyond the "But thou must" nature of other video games, so all in all, I like this opening quite a bit (even with Ryuji's whole pie-in-the-sky idea that the victims of continual abuse would confess and offer proof because the school delinquent and the new student with an assault charge say so).

Anyway, this update offers the first "Social Links" of this game, and already it's worth discussing how differently these are being handled this time around. First off, as Arist already pointed out, our first link with our bro Ryuji is the Chariot, the seventh card in the Tarot, rather than the Magician, the first card, and consequently the Arcana of the first real characters we meet in other Persona titles (Junpei in 3 and Yosuke in 4). It happens that way because that's what happens- on the first step of his journey, the Fool meets the Magician, who sets him on his initial path- it is the card of action, initiative, of making plans, the so called "masculine" principal. Their meeting typically forms the arc of the entire story (it is Yosuke's idea to use the persona's they discover to catch the murderer in P4, for example), so... it's interesting to consider the implications of the formation of the Chariot first.

Another interesting thing: the way the Fool arcana shapes out. Like all Persona games, the Fool is associated with the protagonist and increases along with the story, but in the past, it's also been tied with the formation and development of a group- the SEES team in P3 and the Scoobies in P4. Yet here, the link is tied not with the partnership that Ryuji forms, but with Igor himself- a much greater level of interest in the proceedings than he's ever shown before. Another thing with redolent implications... but that's as much as I'll say for now about that.

And yes, the Protag is a glorious snarky rear end in a top hat and some of his responses are really great.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Arist posted:

I can't find it now but I remember reading someone say that this arc in particular was inspired by a real Japanese news story. This is only the tip of the iceberg, though.

It is, and it's a famous one. The real life incident has more to do with aspects of Kamoshida we haven't seen yet in this thread, so I'll link to it in an update or two.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This whole thing is uncomfortably realistic.

I could understand the teachers overlooking it because of school prestige or something, but the parents, too?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is an okay scenario that really shouldn't have been the first one

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This whole thing is uncomfortably realistic.

I could understand the teachers overlooking it because of school prestige or something, but the parents, too?

This kind of stuff regularly happens in US high schools with the football teams. Trust me, it's all too realistic.

My issues with the whole thing are a lot less related to the plausibility of the situation than with the hypocrisy and generally inconsistent tone and theming of the game, but that's a discussion for later.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 28, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist, thank you for making such long updates, because man do I really wanna dive into this game.

It helps that it's kicking off a lot faster than Persona 4 did too. I'm sure it'll slow down in the time between getting your fourth and fifth party members though.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

RareAcumen posted:

Arist, thank you for making such long updates, because man do I really wanna dive into this game.

It helps that it's kicking off a lot faster than Persona 4 did too. I'm sure it'll slow down in the time between getting your fourth and fifth party members though.

Oh, HECK yes! You can tell that they took the criticism of P4's pacing to heart, since in that game, it takes at least two or three ingame days before you even catch a glimpse into the TV world, let alone start investigating it. Don't get me wrong, I love Persona 4, but it is daunting to go back through the intro portion, just because it lasts so friggin' long.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

resurgam40 posted:

Anyway, this update offers the first "Social Links" of this game, and already it's worth discussing how differently these are being handled this time around. First off, as Arist already pointed out, our first link with our bro Ryuji is the Chariot, the seventh card in the Tarot, rather than the Magician, the first card, and consequently the Arcana of the first real characters we meet in other Persona titles (Junpei in 3 and Yosuke in 4).

Just pointing out that Junpei isn't the first we meet in 3, it was Yukari (Lovers).

Anyway, I like Ryuji in battle. He's pretty much an amalgamation of Chie and Kanji. Problem for me (personally) is that he also gets Chie's huge dearth of kinda blah skills around midgame, though his early skills are good enough to carry him for a long time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This whole opening build up just made me so mad. I never had to deal with an abusive teacher, but I was constantly bullied from kindergarten through high school, and pretty much always ended up being the one who got in trouble for trying to protect myself while the people who were bullying me were never punished for a variety of bullshit reasons.

So I keenly empathize with a bunch of students who are suffering abuse and nobody does anything about it because the system that's supposed to protect them from poo poo like this has loving failed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Oh, HECK yes! You can tell that they took the criticism of P4's pacing to heart, since in that game, it takes at least two or three ingame days before you even catch a glimpse into the TV world, let alone start investigating it. Don't get me wrong, I love Persona 4, but it is daunting to go back through the intro portion, just because it lasts so friggin' long.

Oh yeah, no one ever says 'Man, gently caress Persona 4' because of the intro or anything but- like any game- with such a slow intro it's hard to work up the enthusiasm to go back and play it over again. It certainly happens to me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is the Lum Invader at it again, or are you both just still keeping your avatars from their last spree?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just pointing out that Junpei isn't the first we meet in 3, it was Yukari (Lovers).

Wasn't Pharos met first? (Though Yukari was shown before that)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

OddObserver posted:

Wasn't Pharos met first? (Though Yukari was shown before that)

Well in terms of playable party members. Because if we count important non-party members, you meet Dojima, Nanako and Margaret (Hierophant, Justice and Empress) before Yosuke.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Kamoshida arc really is a great introduction to the story, because as others have said it's something that can - and has - happened in real life. The truly chilling part, at least to me, is not that nobody knows what Kamoshida is doing but that everyone knows and still won't do anything to stop it. It really reinforces the feeling of helplessness and makes you want to kick Kamoshida's rear end that much harder.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hm... I should have specified. By "meet" I mean "actually form Social Link with", because only then do you really get into the nitty gritty of why that relationship is related to that Arcana and all their resultant personae, as well as the "lesson" behind that card. In the former two Persona titles, the link of the Magician was either first (P4, even before the Fool is established) or could be formed early on (P3, with either Kenji or Junpei)... so this time around, the script is flipped a little.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PMush Perfect posted:

Is the Lum Invader at it again, or are you both just still keeping your avatars from their last spree?

I just haven't gotten around to replacing mine yet.

Also, Lum is cool.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

resurgam40 posted:

Hm... I should have specified. By "meet" I mean "actually form Social Link with", because only then do you really get into the nitty gritty of why that relationship is related to that Arcana and all their resultant personae, as well as the "lesson" behind that card. In the former two Persona titles, the link of the Magician was either first (P4, even before the Fool is established) or could be formed early on (P3, with either Kenji or Junpei)... so this time around, the script is flipped a little.

All semantics aside, the role of Junpei, Yosuke, and Ryuji in the narrative is to provide a dense character who needs to have the plot and mechanics explained to him in great detail. That way, the protagonist can seem competent and knowledgeable without the player missing out on any vital info about how the game works. It's an interesting way to simultaneously educate the player without making them feel like they're the ones being looked down on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I wanted a Lum avatar, I got one, and I'm keeping it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Blastinus posted:

All semantics aside, the role of Junpei, Yosuke, and Ryuji in the narrative is to provide a dense character who needs to have the plot and mechanics explained to him in great detail. That way, the protagonist can seem competent and knowledgeable without the player missing out on any vital info about how the game works. It's an interesting way to simultaneously educate the player without making them feel like they're the ones being looked down on.

Yosuke wasn't actually that dumb. It's easy to miss because the game will not go 10 minutes without telling the player how cool the protagonist is, but Yosuke's actually the one who figures out basically everything murder-related and explains it to the protagonist while he stands there with a dumb look on his blank self-insert face. Yosuke was immature because he's a teenager, and the game constantly makes him the butt of all the jokes, but as far as actually figuring things out and taking initiative he's the driving force behind 90% of the player's actions. He's the actual protagonist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blastinus posted:

You too, huh? That does result in a heaping amount of people telling you to do it anyway, but I guess the plot wouldn't progress otherwise.

I've read excuses for how extreme this teacher abuse subplot gets, that it makes sense because of Japanese cultural norms about politeness and respecting authority. But even so, they really do go to the far end with how hopeless the situation is. Every kid you talk to is bandaged to the nines, and they treat Kamoshida like an unstoppable boogeyman who no one will dare touch, when it seems like the solution would just be to smuggle a camera into one of those training sessions and show it to the police.

Unless they're in on the volleyball craze too or something.

It happens in America as well. See the Jerry Sandusky case and how it was covered up even after a reporter revealed everything, and a memorial of his death was honored like he did nothing wrong despite all evidence.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Newspaper club girl is one of the most helpful NPCs in the game. She always has some helpful info if you get stuck and are wondering how to progress.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

It happens in America as well. See the Jerry Sandusky case and how it was covered up even after a reporter revealed everything, and a memorial of his death was honored like he did nothing wrong despite all evidence.

It's hardly limited to the US or Japan, it happens all over the world. There may or may not be cultural or societal tendencies that make them more common in some places than others, but when you get down to it Japan has a population over half again as large as the largest western European country (Germany with ~81 million v. Japan with ~127 million) and the US has one nearly 3x larger than Japan - there will as a matter of course be significantly more cases to bring up.

Hell, the UK just got slammed with one of these scandals going back decades last year.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
*snipped*

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 28, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not a mod or anything but I thiiiink we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah we don't even know what any of that is yet

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My bad, I completely forgot which thread we were in!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
What I'm liking so far is the design of the Confidant tarot cards. They're like negative, or inverted images of the usual tarot cards. La Met gets mauled by a dog. Le Chariot has the charioteer trying to drive his vehicle despite a rather striking injury. That plays interestingly to the current themes of underdogs and continued misfortune to our protagonists.

Add to that the French titles, and I'm willing to say we'll see more French in the Confidant tarot cards. I wonder if this can be linked to Le Tarot de Marseille.

EDIT: Well poo poo.

The resemblance is too uncanny to be coincidental. I'll just update these as the thread moves along through the story.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I completely disagree on the intro talk. Nothing helps an RPG kick off better than a strong extremely story focused intro, the vast majority of the best RPGs have em. And while this gane still counts, it desperately needed some slice of life stuff here to ease you in, if it wasnt for Shiho I probably wouldve stopped playing on a bad note for a while rather than finish the first arc and wait for the lp in an attempt to not be able to spoil things cuz seriously I have no clue. And maybe a more efficient calender.

Edit: Pretty sure both the old and new tarot decks are actual decks being referenced if not copied.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 28, 2017