Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

RBA Starblade posted:

It's really cool how Adhi can sync grab you twenty feet in the air. Wait, no, the other thing, it's stupid.

To add to this, I've noticed that I get grabbed by adhis a LOT more often when I'm hosting and lag-free. It seems like they have about as much trouble targeting me through lag as I do them :v: This has become a problem since the Asari Duelist basically ONLY works when you're the host, and not just in the Human Vanguard 'you'll have a much smoother experience' way. Off-host I've pressed melee only to have her turn around and dash through a wall to try and melee something behind me (and miss), have had button presses go off in reverse order (dash to the side, then melee into thin air when I had intended the reverse), and teleporting through cover, then back behind it, then finally coming to rest against it - on top of the usual other laggy shenanigans you put up with on every other character. The duelist also has an issue with lance that I haven't encountered on my adept: she'll just throw it THROUGH an enemy. Like, it's aimed correctly, passes through their model, and I see the impact behind them - this still happens when hosting, so it's not a lag issue. Of course, it seems like the adept's lance is fond of going over peoples' shoulders even when it's aimed dead center so maybe lance is just funky.

Whatever, melee biotics are still in a much better place than tech casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The juggernaut was the final give up moment I feel.
'Here just take this dude and never worry about cover or death again. We don't care'

You did however have to worry about walking your slow rear end to an objective.

When he first came out we tried running 4x with spitfires & just deathball together. Couldn't die. Took for. ev. er. to finish that round.

It was extra bad because we got the long map full of shipping crates.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Relentless posted:

You did however have to worry about walking your slow rear end to an objective.

When he first came out we tried running 4x with spitfires & just deathball together. Couldn't die. Took for. ev. er. to finish that round.

It was extra bad because we got the long map full of shipping crates.

Particle rifle with the claymore or something else heavy.
I feel like there was a speed booster gear mod I would use to give him respectable speed

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Particle rifle with the claymore or something else heavy.
I feel like there was a speed booster gear mod I would use to give him respectable speed

You could fix him, that was just a hilarious match. Banshees? Meh. Delivery objective? gently caress!

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Two Finger posted:

well to be fair, that wasn't working as intended unless you're honestly trying to tell me snap freeze was meant to work through walls

The N7 Paladin was one of the most fun classes to play in that whole game. It was totally my jam.

Let's not forget an important thing here too; this isn't competitive multiplayer. It's ok for something to be a bit broken as long as it's fun and not 'best in slot' by a wide margin. This is the current problem with the vanquisher. No one cares the geth juggernaut was OP sometimes because you had the Fury, Slayer, hunter, Paladin, Etc that were all fun and importantly, VIABLE. Right now there are classes and weapons that aren't. And not just a few.

A good example is Warframe. There's all this stuff you can build a bunch of different ways, and a lot of it is viable, or viable enough, all the way into endgame. So it becomes more about how you want to play and collect all the stuff than just running gold till the RNG finally gives you X.

And this whole TTK needs to be bigger thing is BS. Especially when the AI is so much more aggressive and bent on flanking you and flushing you out of cover, along with the things like sync grabs/kills and you could make a valid argument that the TTK actually needs to be lower, since there's a lot of time you need to spend running out of flanks or pressing a button to get that darn dog off your arm again. If you're running or recovering you're not firing, and any gun you aren't firing does zero DPS. Which means a longer TTK by default. Besides, learn from the mistakes Gearbox makes with their enemies and give them interesting mechanics instead of making them giant sacks of hitpoints. In my mind the Ascendant is the worst offender in that regard. Interesting mechanic, but you shouldn't have to kill that little orb 5 times.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i wish you could play as mario

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

That DICK! posted:

i wish you could play as mario

Play the Turian Havoc colored red and pretend your hovering is goomba stomping?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I miss player sync-killing enemies. At least make it so you can sync kill an enemy behind cover if your melee would drop their life below 0%.

I felt like an idiot when I mosied up to a trash mob behind cover and sat there meleeing the air as he shot me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frush posted:

The N7 Paladin was one of the most fun classes to play in that whole game. It was totally my jam.

Let's not forget an important thing here too; this isn't competitive multiplayer. It's ok for something to be a bit broken as long as it's fun and not 'best in slot' by a wide margin. This is the current problem with the vanquisher. No one cares the geth juggernaut was OP sometimes because you had the Fury, Slayer, hunter, Paladin, Etc that were all fun and importantly, VIABLE. Right now there are classes and weapons that aren't. And not just a few.

A good example is Warframe. There's all this stuff you can build a bunch of different ways, and a lot of it is viable, or viable enough, all the way into endgame. So it becomes more about how you want to play and collect all the stuff than just running gold till the RNG finally gives you X.

And this whole TTK needs to be bigger thing is BS. Especially when the AI is so much more aggressive and bent on flanking you and flushing you out of cover, along with the things like sync grabs/kills and you could make a valid argument that the TTK actually needs to be lower, since there's a lot of time you need to spend running out of flanks or pressing a button to get that darn dog off your arm again. If you're running or recovering you're not firing, and any gun you aren't firing does zero DPS. Which means a longer TTK by default. Besides, learn from the mistakes Gearbox makes with their enemies and give them interesting mechanics instead of making them giant sacks of hitpoints. In my mind the Ascendant is the worst offender in that regard. Interesting mechanic, but you shouldn't have to kill that little orb 5 times.

Re: gearbox enemies: Borderlands 2 actually has some really neat enemies. The problem is just that the game is more heavily controlled by numbers than skill, so any cool mechanics they have just don't matter once things get too out of sync.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Digirat posted:

Re: gearbox enemies: Borderlands 2 actually has some really neat enemies. The problem is just that the game is more heavily controlled by numbers than skill, so any cool mechanics they have just don't matter once things get too out of sync.

Agreed.

The problem there is this; games typically have to be balanced for either the early game or the end game. If you pick the early game, everyone gets to see your cool mechanics, but later on you have fewer ways to compensate. This ends up with the simple 'sacks of hit points' enemies like Borderlands 2, or the 'endless small increments treadmill' you see in games like Diablo 3. Or, god forbid, the arbitrary 'overlevel' enemies you can't keep up to like in Destiny. Overleveled enemies are some of the biggest BS. Noone should have to eat a huge penalty (for 2 levels wasn't it something like 40% damage penalty both taken and to damage?) because you can't design enemies well enough.

Alternately, you balance for end game. The problem is very few players will get there, but it will generally make for a much more rewarding experience. This is more what you saw in ME3 multiplayer (until Platinum), where what matters is whether something is 'gold viable'. Essentially the difference here would be something like how in the lower difficulties you could get by just using throw or energy drain or any abilities you liked, but in the higher difficulties, you better know how to combo and set up your build. Now things like Geth bombers become part of the difficulty and get to show off their niche. MMOs would kind of fit here too, since while you can do whatever while you level, endgame raid difficulty is based on enemy mechanics and knowing what works, though build viability is often a problem.

In my mind, balancing for endgame is always a better move. It's more satisfying and better to maintain a playerbase, and it's always easier to turn up the difficulty than it is to deal with lovely design.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Earlier did the Combo-Tastic Strike Team Mission with 3 Kineticists and me as Asari Adept.

It took like 11 minutes to extract, I don't think anyone ever died. Kinda understand why combos don't natively do that much damage because it more or less breaks the game as much as unpacthed White/Geth/Gold did, it's really easy credits.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

This comment from Billy over on Reddit sorta explains their thought process when it comes to balance. It's pretty much what I already thought, and I think their intent was reasonable, just that their execution was lacking (and some of the decisions for certain weapons didn't make any loving sense at all).

For all the words, all he's really saying in any of his posts is "hey guys, we have a design philosophy. Please trust that we aren't morons."

Given the mattock fix-and-nerf, I'm not super convinced on the last point.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dilb posted:

For all the words, all he's really saying in any of his posts is "hey guys, we have a design philosophy. Please trust that we aren't morons."

The fact that he's doing this on Reddit MIGHT be coloring his comments.

https://twitter.com/ehlien/status/857768814695428096

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dilb posted:

I don't know what to call the Mattock fix.

Lets compare the Mattock and the Raptor. One's a sniper and ones an AR sure, but otherwise they're very similar guns. They're both uncommon, and both have roughly the same magazine size (15 vs 16). And while the Raptor is now full-auto and has a slightly faster fire rate than the Mattock (550 vs 405), the Mattock makes up for this by doing half the damage per shot(~80 vs ~160 at X) at a lower accuracy (~70 vs ~90 at X).

Balance.

Please loving god no one tell them about the Raptor.

edit: that's not half.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
They seem to place too much emphasis on the fact that melee requires you to be up close and exposed to (potentially a lot of) enemy fire, and sniper rifles require a scope that limits your field of view and requires more exact aiming than other weapons or else you're just wasting ammo, so they gave these two lots of damage.

And then the Sandstorm comes into the picture and no one can figure out where its supposed to fit.

precision posted:

Earlier did the Combo-Tastic Strike Team Mission with 3 Kineticists and me as Asari Adept.

It took like 11 minutes to extract, I don't think anyone ever died. Kinda understand why combos don't natively do that much damage because it more or less breaks the game as much as unpacthed White/Geth/Gold did, it's really easy credits.

Having an Asari Adept tends to do that, but that's more of a symptom of double-stacking the Expose debuff. If they were to buff combo damage, I could see them reducing the effectiveness of Expose, which would probably also make the Offensive Biotics rank 5 evolutions actually a competitive consideration.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's still a really good class even without the double expose though!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

One question - is there a point to buying Premium Packs if you're not using real money? From what I can see, cost the same as 2 Expert Packs, but give you:

- half the number of overall items
- the same number of rares
- one 'higher chance' for an Ultra instead of 2 'smaller chances'

Is the higher chance actually like quadruple the smaller chance or something?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Why the hecking gently caress is everyone doing Kett

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Rascyc posted:

It's still a really good class even without the double expose though!

Of course, its very well-designed, but you probably won't be able to do 12 minute matches without double expose.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

One question - is there a point to buying Premium Packs if you're not using real money? From what I can see, cost the same as 2 Expert Packs, but give you:

- half the number of overall items
- the same number of rares
- one 'higher chance' for an Ultra instead of 2 'smaller chances'

Is the higher chance actually like quadruple the smaller chance or something?

From what people have reported, it's pretty close to 10-12% UR per expert, 20-24% per premium. So there's no point to premium unless you're using real money.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

Of course, its very well-designed, but you probably won't be able to do 12 minute matches without double expose.

A vanguard makes them even more powerful!

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Dilb posted:

From what people have reported, it's pretty close to 10-12% UR per expert, 20-24% per premium. So there's no point to premium unless you're using real money.

Yes, and there's 0 chance of getting 2 of the same card in a premium pack. Say you've maxed out all your rares and they release a new Rare class/weapon. You won't get 2 ranks of that class/weapon if you buy a premium pack.

Two Finger posted:

A vanguard makes them even more powerful!

People underestimate exactly how much damage a Vanguard can do with powers, mainly because melee is more efficient/safer.

I've also had very fast matches (~13 minutes) playing the Krogan Mercenary. The combination of stuns from Flak Cannon and debuffing enemy damage with Flamethrower lets your team kill things really fast.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

Yes, and there's 0 chance of getting 2 of the same card in a premium pack. Say you've maxed out all your rares and they release a new Rare class/weapon. You won't get 2 ranks of that class/weapon if you buy a premium pack.

People underestimate exactly how much damage a Vanguard can do with powers, mainly because melee is more efficient/safer.

I've also had very fast matches (~13 minutes) playing the Krogan Mercenary. The combination of stuns from Flak Cannon and debuffing enemy damage with Flamethrower lets your team kill things really fast.

I don't anymore. Not after the gold match where I had two Asari adepts to detonate off. It might be harder to set up a biotic death squad in this, and there are fewer classes that can do it, but gently caress me if it doesn't still work.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I don't anymore. Not after the gold match where I had two Asari adepts to detonate off. It might be harder to set up a biotic death squad in this, and there are fewer classes that can do it, but gently caress me if it doesn't still work.

In contrast, the tech characters are more designed towards bunkering down. They won't be as fast-paced or as damaging as the biotic death squad, but put a Salarian Operator next to an Angaran Insurgent and a Human Engineer and you'll just have a hard time dying, while enemies slowly walk towards their doom.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dilb posted:

Also the fact that they think that hovering is somehow making enemies die faster, when it's a death sentence on gold against anything more than 1 mook.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

That DICK! posted:

Why the hecking gently caress is everyone doing Kett

Because they haven't seen the new unit yet, probably

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because they haven't seen the new unit yet, probably

There's a new unit? I played Kett a bit last night and didn't see anything.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I assume the new Boss thing that the Kett got a few weeks ago.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

I assume the new Boss thing that the Kett got a few weeks ago.

The Krogan?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I've ever seen that.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Also the fact that they think that hovering is somehow making enemies die faster, when it's a death sentence on gold against anything more than 1 mook.

I don't think they mean hovering in place where you can get shot by everyone on the map, but hovering over cover (with forward momentum) which opens up a new angle of attack.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I've still not even fought against the Kett boss whatever.

Last night though everyone was playing Paradox and every other objective was Delivery. Boy, Delivery sure is fun and not just a way to pad the game out nope. It sure is possible to get 3 stars on Delivery (it actually is, but holy poo poo it's hard).

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
You kidding? Delivery is easy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If my singular goal is to unlock the Asari Duelist as quickly as possible, how should I be spending my money on packs? I'm a little unclear on how the system works, and there's a bunch of stuff in the Basic packs I haven't upgraded to max level yet, but I don't really care about wasting money, the duelist sounds fun and I just want to unlock it as quickly as possible.

Can I just buy Expert packs, or does the system work in an rear end-backwards way where ultimately I'll get her faster some other way?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

You kidding? Delivery is easy.

I keep getting pubbies who don't know you can dash with it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Relentless posted:

I keep getting pubbies who don't know you can dash with it.

Can you charge with it? I just did my first delivery game and was afraid to try

I did figure out you could dash, at least

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you charge with it? I just did my first delivery game and was afraid to try

I did figure out you could dash, at least

Probably but knowing this game, that poo poo might somehow shoot into the atmosphere and never return

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Probably but knowing this game, that poo poo might somehow shoot into the atmosphere and never return

This isn't me3 anymore!

It'll fall through the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You can indeed charge with it.

• Locked thread