Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY

SB35 posted:

You have total wireless with a sim and LTE right? Just swap the sim card and restart. You might might have to mess around with APN settings but that info should be easily googled.

Awesome, thanks. My initial round of googling had suggested Total Wireless is uniquely painful with this sort of thing. A SIM card swap I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Seeing as it's verizon they may need the imei of the new phone in order for it to work, I'm not completely sure tho

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

My wife and I switched to Cricket a few months ago, which coincided with upgrading to a pair of used Samsung S5's. I returned mine because I was fairly annoyed about a few things and got a G4 instead, which works just fine with everything, but she's sometimes not getting texts and keeps getting errors about MMS messages being dropped. She's spent forever playing with APN settings, and oftentimes it'll resolve issues for a short while before they reoccur. I had similar issues until I returned my S5, but it seems odd that the issue would be strictly related to the hardware, doesn't it? She's considering switching to something else (she asked about T-mobile, and I've checked and it looks like she should be ok to switch if she wants), but I don't want to end up with the same issue there. Does anyone have suggestions/experience with this? I realize it's a fairly specific question to be asking, and my brain keeps saying "It's the phone," since all evidence seems to really indicate that's all it could be.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

My wife and I switched to Cricket a few months ago, which coincided with upgrading to a pair of used Samsung S5's. I returned mine because I was fairly annoyed about a few things and got a G4 instead, which works just fine with everything, but she's sometimes not getting texts and keeps getting errors about MMS messages being dropped. She's spent forever playing with APN settings, and oftentimes it'll resolve issues for a short while before they reoccur. I had similar issues until I returned my S5, but it seems odd that the issue would be strictly related to the hardware, doesn't it? She's considering switching to something else (she asked about T-mobile, and I've checked and it looks like she should be ok to switch if she wants), but I don't want to end up with the same issue there. Does anyone have suggestions/experience with this? I realize it's a fairly specific question to be asking, and my brain keeps saying "It's the phone," since all evidence seems to really indicate that's all it could be.

Try a different text app like Textra. I had some issues with certain Android phones on Cricket when it came to MMS but Textra was basically ol reliable.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

cage-free egghead posted:

Try a different text app like Textra. I had some issues with certain Android phones on Cricket when it came to MMS but Textra was basically ol reliable.

Seconding this. Whenever I have problems with Android Messages, Textra always has my back.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

This is from Reddit. Changing to these APN settings has pretty much eliminated messaging problems for everyone who has tried it. I can't say for certain it will help you, but it's worth a try. My friend's wife also wanted to switch from cricket due to message lag and losses, after making these changes she's been happy. Take it for what you will.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/5182d3/if_you_are_taking_a_phone_to_cricket_wireless/

/u/ROSC_4_Cake posted:

I bought an unlocked phone from amazon (moto g4...it's awesome btw for $150-$200) I put in my cricket Sim card and everything was working except my MMS (pic messaging).

The APN settings cricket is pushing on their site are wrong. (or at least have been for many people)

The APN settings Cricket's customer service provides you are wrong. (or at least have been for many people)

Save yourself a few hours and try these settings:

Name: Cricket (or whatever you name it)

APN: ndo (phone, nxtgenphone, etc all work)

Proxy: Not Set

Port: Not Set

Username: Not Set

Password: Not Set

MMSC: http://192.168.197.79 (192.168.197.118 works as well, it's one of the roundrobins)

MMS Proxy: 192.168.197.79 (See above, same applies here THIS IS THE MAIN FIX)

MMS Port: 80

MCC: 310

MNC: 150

Authentication Type: Not Set

APN Type: default,hipri,mms,fota,supl,dun (no spaces)

APN Protocol: IPv4

APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4

Shout out to Skreelink for this post on a forum if you actually want to know something about why this works:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1883734-MMS-Issue-Cause-And-Fix

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Thanks, guys. I'll give the APN settings a shot, and I'm pretty sure she's using Textra already, but I'll double check.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

SB35 posted:

You have total wireless with a sim and LTE right? Just swap the sim card and restart. You might might have to mess around with APN settings but that info should be easily googled.

For the record, the final answer on switching phones with Total Wireless was a simple SIM card swap. Everything seems to be functional without the need for updated APN settings, and without the need to call Total Wireless customer support. Since TW is awesome for as long as you can avoid talking to CS, this is great news.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

some_weird_kid posted:

For the record, the final answer on switching phones with Total Wireless was a simple SIM card swap. Everything seems to be functional without the need for updated APN settings, and without the need to call Total Wireless customer support. Since TW is awesome for as long as you can avoid talking to CS, this is great news.

How are Total plans for stuff like phone-to-tablet tethering? Permissive, ambivalent, hostile?

Curious here because T-Mobile has never hassled me for it on the $30 plan, and I know Verizon's coverage is still best-ish in case I need to change services next year.

Same question for Cricket / ATT, I guess.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

sweart gliwere posted:

How are Total plans for stuff like phone-to-tablet tethering? Permissive, ambivalent, hostile?

Curious here because T-Mobile has never hassled me for it on the $30 plan, and I know Verizon's coverage is still best-ish in case I need to change services next year.

I don't tether very often, so the best I can do is confirm that it's not restricted through the SIM. I'm able to activate and use it through the Android OS, just as I would expect to do.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

sweart gliwere posted:

Because it's a fixed-size plan, unlike Cricket which just slows down when you go over, TW doesn't restrict tethering.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Who has the best family plans? At this time I have found Total Wirelsss and $95 a month for 4 lines sharing 15GB doesn't seem too shabby. Also, I believe it is on VZW but limited to 5GB download speeds, which is ok.

Any downside to Total? Is the coverage exactly the same as VZW? And can you activate a tablet? I need 4 phone lines and a tablet

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 10, 2017

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
If there's any goon who is using GoPhone I have a $30 refill card I'm looking to unload. Message me.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Has anyone had luck talking their way into this plan from an existing plan?

I'm currently on an iPhone 6s purchased at Apple store on their 2GB for 50/month plan with BingeOn so Netflix and Pandora don't count.

quote:

Unlimited Web & Text with 100 Minutes Talk (aka “The Dork Plan”)
$30/mo
100 Minutes
Unlimited Text
5GB of LTE data (throttled after cap is reached)
Only available for devices purchased from Walmart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

Alternatively has anyone had any experience with MintSIM?

Basically you pay up front for the duration of the contract, but you can get dirt cheap prices.

Ex: Pay 200 (~17/month) up front for 12 months of unlimited talk/text and 2GB data with 3G speeds after hitting cap, or 300 (~25/month) for 5GB.

My main concern is since it's a contract, I could get to the end of 12 months and they jack the rates up and I'll end up crawling back to T-Mobile. (Or would I be legally entitled to keep renewing at that rate like a traditional grandfathered in plan?)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I've been on Fi since the 6P launched and generally I'm happy, but I've moved to using my phone for music more than my iPod. I usually use less than 1GB of data a month, but that's with zero music streaming. I'd like to move to a plan where I can stream music carefree without paying too much more than I do now.

I know T-Mobile and Metro PCS offer unlimited music streaming, so I've been mostly focused on them. From what I can see, Metro offers basically the same plans as T-Mobile only for less money. Carriers prioritize their own traffic before MVNO traffic, but would it be that different considering Metro is actually owned by T-Mobile?

The reason I ask is that my wife is on a post paid T-Mobile plan with her mom and sister, and pretty consistently I'll have weak/no signal and my wife will have full signal.

Any other ideas I'm open to, I'm paying about $30 a month now and I'm​ looking not to go higher than $40 or so, which is why Metro is kinda appealing. Much thanks in advance for any input.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

T-Mobile will prioritize their own postpaid traffic still but I've been using various mvnos for years and have never really had any issues with that so I'm sure it will be fine

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
My family is all on a cricket plan under my name. The keep complaining that caller ID shows my name for all lines. Anybody had luck getting this fixed? I have only found Cricket support to be a complete waste of time so I am hesitant to call about this.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

poppingseagull posted:

My family is all on a cricket plan under my name. The keep complaining that caller ID shows my name for all lines. Anybody had luck getting this fixed? I have only found Cricket support to be a complete waste of time so I am hesitant to call about this.

If they're on iPhones, have then disable iMessage in the settings and then re-enable it

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

EugeneJ posted:

If they're on iPhones, have then disable iMessage in the settings and then re-enable it

I think he/she means when the family members actually call people, it shows up as "poppingseagull" to other people instead of just generic "wireless caller" or whatever.

I would probably contact that cricket zendesk email about the issue instead of going through their normal support channels.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think he/she means when the family members actually call people, it shows up as "poppingseagull" to other people instead of just generic "wireless caller" or whatever.

I would probably contact that cricket zendesk email about the issue instead of going through their normal support channels.

I hope this isn't a new thing. Mine still shows as "Wireless Caller" as far as I know.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's a good gsm sim card to buy for somebody coming from oversea to visit for 10 days? Say it's something I can order online for my friend, and comes with 5-10gb data.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

What's a good gsm sim card to buy for somebody coming from oversea to visit for 10 days? Say it's something I can order online for my friend, and comes with 5-10gb data.

Preloaded sim from eBay probably. But I don't know if you'll find one with that much data.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I saw a wirecutter article claim that US cellular SIMs can roam on both ATT 3G/LTE and Verizon LTE, is that true? It would be handy for a roadtrip I'm doing later this summer.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I found an article from the end of 2015 saying they'd partnered with someone for lte roaming but weren't saying who. Verizon AND at&t def doesn't sound right tho

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Go ask in an US Cellulor forum obviously.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yep, I mean when calling landlines it will always show my name for caller ID for all lines on the account. When calling a mobile phone, the phone recognizes the number and uses the stored contacts to bring up the right name, assuming its a known contact.

I emailed the zendesk email so just waiting to see what they say.

edit: Response is they can't do it. They said it should just show as "wireless caller" but there must be some caller ID service translating that to the name on that account. Probably whatever providor the local cable company around here uses for caller ID.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 1, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poppingseagull posted:

Yep, I mean when calling landlines it will always show my name for caller ID for all lines on the account. When calling a mobile phone, the phone recognizes the number and uses the stored contacts to bring up the right name, assuming its a known contact.

I emailed the zendesk email so just waiting to see what they say.

edit: Response is they can't do it. They said it should just show as "wireless caller" but there must be some caller ID service translating that to the name on that account. Probably whatever providor the local cable company around here uses for caller ID.

Go to your cricket account online, change your name to "Wireless Caller", problem solved! :smuggo:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Unfortunately Tmobile isn't working out for me, I can't get service at work (which is above ground) and service is pretty bad in once you leave NYC too, my brother is on my plan and told me his woes today. Is there anything I should know before looking into getting Cricket? What's their hotspot/tethering policy?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think there's like a 10$ a month fee for hotspotting.

I know on my moto g4 play when I go to the hotspot option under settings I get a notification to go add it to my account in order to use it. Kinda sucks.

Haven't tried an app to bypass it though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it's ten dollars a month and limited to the mroe expensive plans

Mobile Hotspot is available to new and existing Cricket customers only on our $50/8 GB, $60/12 GB

E: actually what the gently caress

To use Mobile Hotspot you must have a compatible Cricket Branded LTE Device or Apple BYOD Device (model 4s or newer). Mobile Hotspot is not currently available with Andorid or Windows BYOD devices.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I guess hotspot isnt a dealbreaker for me but what are some other options I could look at before I decide?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Kraps posted:

I guess hotspot isnt a dealbreaker for me but what are some other options I could look at before I decide?

Kinda depends on the devices you have. H2O Wireless is another comparatively priced MVNO and on AT&T like cricket. If you have Verizon compatible devices, boom mobile and total wireless are to more popular MVNOs and comparatively priced as well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kraps posted:

Unfortunately Tmobile isn't working out for me, I can't get service at work (which is above ground) and service is pretty bad in once you leave NYC too, my brother is on my plan and told me his woes today. Is there anything I should know before looking into getting Cricket? What's their hotspot/tethering policy?

I have cricket, and used to live on Long Island. Always had service on LI, and I recently moved to Albany and always have service up there too. The drive to and from Albany and LI sees me dip in and out of 4G coverage. When I used to make business trips to the city I never had a problem. I'd say go for it.

Cricket also recently started allowing roaming, so their coverage in the rural Midwest has improved because of that.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I have cricket, and used to live on Long Island. Always had service on LI, and I recently moved to Albany and always have service up there too. The drive to and from Albany and LI sees me dip in and out of 4G coverage. When I used to make business trips to the city I never had a problem. I'd say go for it.

Cricket also recently started allowing roaming, so their coverage in the rural Midwest has improved because of that.

I like the sounds of those things, gonna make the move.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If you have an older phone that doesn't go through the carrier for Hotspots you can definitely do it that way for free on Cricket.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I hotspot on my OnePlus 3 all the time without paying extra to Cricket :confused:

I guess some phones bypass the carrier check maybe?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

Yea it's ten dollars a month and limited to the mroe expensive plans

Mobile Hotspot is available to new and existing Cricket customers only on our $50/8 GB, $60/12 GB

E: actually what the gently caress

To use Mobile Hotspot you must have a compatible Cricket Branded LTE Device or Apple BYOD Device (model 4s or newer). Mobile Hotspot is not currently available with Andorid or Windows BYOD devices.

Just root your phone and run wifi either app.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Transferring 2 numbers over to Cricket went smoothly, going to wait a couple days before canceling the 3rd tmobile line just to make sure.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm looking for a SIM I can put in an old phone so I can leave my 9yo at home for an hour and he can call me if something comes up. I expect the minutes will never be used so I don't want to have a recurring monthly charge. Would I be better off with FreedomPop or a small pay as you go sim such as Ting?

The device is an old Galaxy Note 2 if that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Syrinxx posted:

I'm looking for a SIM I can put in an old phone so I can leave my 9yo at home for an hour and he can call me if something comes up. I expect the minutes will never be used so I don't want to have a recurring monthly charge. Would I be better off with FreedomPop or a small pay as you go sim such as Ting?

The device is an old Galaxy Note 2 if that matters

I've got a phone on each. With Freedompop it's actually free, but calls go out over VOIP over the data connection. For occasional use that's probably fine. To make sure you're on their actually free plan there's a guide on slickdeals:
https://slickdeals.net/f/9723468-fr...earchBarV2Algo1
I used a virtual credit card from citi to give them a card with a $6 limit so they never charge me more than one reload (I used some data without realizing it once when the power went out and the phone kept doing stuff).

For Ting you're looking at $6 a month, and $3 if you send a text, $3 if you make a call, $3 if you use some data, and the charges go up if you use more of any of those. I prefer the service of Ting since it's not VOIP but one annoying thing is once you set it up, they suggest you make a call to try it and make sure your phone works. That's $3 if you weren't planning on making any other calls (I mostly use these to get text verifications, and freedompop doesn't work sometimes). The main upside is that if you have more than one phone on Ting you pay the $6 a month for each, but the surcharges for use apply to the whole account, so I can get texts on two phones for $15 a month. There's also controls on the website to disable data, texts, or voice calls in your account.

So there's annoyances to both, but neither is super expensive or necessarily bad.