Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only bit I actually liked about the Prey demo were the tests they had you do at the start, that was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I had trouble getting into Odin Sphere when I first played it because it was just too slow. But the other day, I decided to just skip all the dialogue and now I see how good it is. I feel like I've uncovered sage gaming wisdom that I can carry through my life.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, you're honestly not missing a ton with Odin Sphere's story, but it's a drat fun game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spoderman posted:

I had trouble getting into Odin Sphere when I first played it because it was just too slow. But the other day, I decided to just skip all the dialogue and now I see how good it is. I feel like I've uncovered sage gaming wisdom that I can carry through my life.

Welcome to the Skip Every Cutscene Club

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never skip cutscenes, not even for stuff I've played a hundred times like Mass Effect 2. But then I played Freedom Planet. For Freedom Planet, you must skip.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some games should have a Skip Gameplay Segment option

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jay Rust posted:

GTA has this actually

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Didn't work out so well for the last person who proposed this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess we've been seeing an increase in stuff like having a "story" difficulty level that trivializes combat etc., I'm all for that!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jay Rust posted:

You should be able to take your heroes in LoL + Dota + Heroes + whatever and have them play the game for you. I just want skins and hats without actually having to play a MOBA.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

mass effect 3

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In Virtue's Last Reward I definitely got to a point in the game where I so engrossed with the story where I wanted to get through the puzzles ASAP to get back to it. They were still fun but man I just wanted to see where it was all going.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJ6Be3EkxY

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Its genius that the designers of Nier had the good sense to let you put it on easy and let the game auto play itself because while I like the world the actual playing of the game is so shallow that its almost insulting. God of War had a more interesting combat system nearly a decade ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phil Spencer posted:

I’ve looked at things like Netflix and HBO, where great content has been created because there’s this subscription model. Shannon Loftis and I are thinking a lot about, well, could we put story-based games into the Xbox Game Pass business model because you have a subscription going? It would mean you wouldn’t have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes.

The audience for those big story-driven games… I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent. You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon: Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Hmm, I don't like it, no sirree

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh good, Microsoft are finding new ways to ruin everything they touch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

didn't they try something like this with their Quantum Break game and it sucked? lol though at that subtle shade thrown at Zelda and Horizon when there's not a single good exclusive on the XBone.

"you wouldn’t have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes." Congratulations on discovering the Steam Open Access model, my man. IDK if this is going to work with non-indie console games, though. Ask Capcom how swell Street Fighter V turned out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Zelda and Horizon don't "have the same impact"? Wtf does that even mean? Both those games were loving huge hits, especially Zelda. What could his point of comparison possibly be?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Zelda and Horizon don't "have the same impact"? Wtf does that even mean? Both those games were loving huge hits, especially Zelda. What could his point of comparison possibly be?

"as good as those games were, they were complete games. we want to make half finished games. imagine playing zelda in october 2016 and having iterative improvements. welcome to games AS A SERVICE"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Netflix is also very dedicated to the binging model, so using it to justify releasing games piecemeal is silly.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

quote:

The audience for those big story-driven games… I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent. You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon: Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience.

hey, you know what the Xbox is really hurting for right now? A game like those

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MinibarMatchman posted:

didn't they try something like this with their Quantum Break game and it sucked? lol though at that subtle shade thrown at Zelda and Horizon when there's not a single good exclusive on the XBone.

Lots of people have tried episodic games before and the only ongoing success story seems to be Telltale, whose games are niche and technically unambitious, not things you want in console flagship titles.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess it makes sense if you take "service-based games" to include mp stuff that relies on retaining players as long as possible while rolling out new content and cosmetics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey now, there's also FFXV!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

Lots of people have tried episodic games before and the only ongoing success story seems to be Telltale, whose games are niche and technically unambitious, not things you want in console flagship titles.

I'd say Hitman was pretty successful, too. Releasing a new stage every 40 days or so along with new contract stuff worked out well and allowed them extra time to touch up the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
FFVII Remake is going to be episodic

episodic trailers of the game but the game never actually releasing

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you could develop a game in parts and deliver it as it goes, like netflix, who delivers entire seasons at once

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to buy nuclear throne for a third time today

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'd say Hitman was pretty successful, too. Releasing a new stage every 40 days or so along with new contract stuff worked out well and allowed them extra time to touch up the game.

Yeah, they aren't the only ones who pulled it off once (see also Life is Strange) but they seem to be the only major studio who's run entirely on episodic titles consistently for many years.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 28, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

nuclear throne is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hitman is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

nuclear throne is good

My friend who I was always better than can loop effortlessly now and I haven't played regularly in ages so now I need to crush him on dailies

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Angriest Pat started a stream where he scumbaggedly opens Heroes of the Storm lootboxes that he bought and offhandedly remarks that all donations he gets during the stream will go into buying more lootboxes. Viewers then donate over 350 dollars to him, turning it into 2 and a half hours of opening loot boxes instead of the short time he intended it to be

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138563131

worth it for new viewers popping in and losing their minds over him wasting all that money, him getting super mad over duplicates, and his girlfriend coming in and being like "JESUS loving CHRIST WHY", and his cat biting the poo poo out of his arm, I'm sitting here sorting a bunch of poo poo to sell and it's perfect to have on as background noise

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

Hitman is good

Season 2 when

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Motto posted:

I guess it makes sense if you take "service-based games" to include mp stuff that relies on retaining players as long as possible while rolling out new content and cosmetics.

Yeah this makes the most sense to me when it comes to trying to parse his incredibly strange comments. Basically he wants a piece of the Overwatch/MOBA pie. It fits with Microsofts pattern of chasing the absolute worst trends in gaming, that's for sure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That games as a service thing isn't really viable for most games anyway. There's room for a few big ones but most new ones will be buried.

It's like everybody trying to make MMOs 10 years ago so they could be the next wow. It doesn't work when wow already exists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

The funniest part about his comparison is that Zelda and Horizon didn't just "sell pretty well" but are two of the fastest-selling console exclusive IPs ever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Angriest Pat started a stream where he scumbaggedly opens Heroes of the Storm lootboxes that he bought and offhandedly remarks that all donations he gets during the stream will go into buying more lootboxes. Viewers then donate over 350 dollars to him, turning it into 2 and a half hours of opening loot boxes instead of the short time he intended it to be

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138563131

worth it for new viewers popping in and losing their minds over him wasting all that money, him getting super mad over duplicates, and his girlfriend coming in and being like "JESUS loving CHRIST WHY", and his cat biting the poo poo out of his arm, I'm sitting here sorting a bunch of poo poo to sell and it's perfect to have on as background noise

I wish I had your luck/skill in terms of making money >:[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

is it on pc so i can daily against someone

• Locked thread