Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Valatar posted:

Yeah, I almost lost to a Great Maw team, I think it was kaptk23, they killed two of mine before I managed to stabilize and fill the gap with spider swarms, then use Pharos-Ra to smash down their heavy hitters. It's the closest I've come to a loss in as long as I can remember.

That same rear end in a top hat got me too. First time I've lost to a Maw/Mercy team in forever. Lucky match on their first turn and just lost the board. Oh well, we're still way ahead.

Edit:

jjac posted:

I'm kind of getting into this game again now that it's on Steam and the energy system is gone, can I get an invite to a guild for the ridiculous loot I keep hearing about?

Invite code: JJAC

Gem Boiz is full, and I think Blossums are as well. You may want to join a pubbie guild for a little bit until we have an opening.

Everyone in Boiz is pretty active now too. It's been a long time since everyone on the roster had seals or trophies contributed in the same week.

Edit2!

I'm playing around with:
Silvermaiden
Bone Dragon
Shadow Dragon
Star Gazer

Silvermaiden is pretty drat hard to kill, and pumping up her attack with Star Gazer makes Bone Dragon casts pretty effective. I'm not sold on the latter half of the team though. It's kind of slow if you don't get a good board. There aren't any helpful mana converters for this combo.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
I got my first Legendary at level 63! It's Garuda, and it fits perfectly on my team:
Banshee
Alchemist
Garuda
Ranger

Thinking about putting it up on top in place of Banshee but so far it's been doing pretty well! The Ranger almost seems replaceable now since Garuda's damage is so high and consistent. Anyone have any tips?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Bandire posted:

I'm playing around with:
Silvermaiden
Bone Dragon
Shadow Dragon
Star Gazer

Silvermaiden is pretty drat hard to kill, and pumping up her attack with Star Gazer makes Bone Dragon casts pretty effective. I'm not sold on the latter half of the team though. It's kind of slow if you don't get a good board. There aren't any helpful mana converters for this combo.

Try Keeper of Souls over Bone Dragon. Bone Dragon doesn't do poo poo at the end of the match. And unless you have him up front, Frozen Soul doesn't do much.

I messed around a lot with the few options that I have for purple tanks. Silvermaiden is very solid, but doesn't do much to speed up the team.

I tried Carnex. If you can pump up his armor he gets really dangerous. But is only "armored".

Carnex
Keeper of Souls or Bone Dragon or Infernal King
Queen Mab
Hero with Prismatic Sphere

It's kind of backwards, but if make a ton of skulls and then blow them all up, you can power the rest of the team. Mab slows down the enemy with frozen. It's kind of hit or miss.

I think my best team uses The Dragon Soul.

Bone Dragon
Dragonette (?)
The Dragon Soul
Shadow Dragon

Or whatever purple dragons you have traited. Slower than my normal TDS team, but it works.

I also messed around with trying to build a true damage team with Crescendo. But a lot of my purple true damage troops have no traits. But it can be done. And you can use Goblin Shaman to spreed things up.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Crescendo gets real dumb real fast if you have fully leveled/traited Sorcerer class.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is there a penalty for using a double (or triple) colored troop instead of a pure one with regards to the point bonus?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

grrarg posted:

Crescendo gets real dumb real fast if you have fully leveled/traited Sorcerer class.

I wish I did. I was trying Orbweaver. The free giant spiders to save you when you are losing is not a great strategy. My other option would be Archer.

As long as the troop has the color, you are good. All mono purple would suck.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 28, 2017

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

grrarg posted:

I totally forgot about Sorcerer Crescendo. Apparently I only bought the first two Sorcerer traits way back in the past when I wasn't swimming in celestial stones and/or double purples. What's a good Crescendo group? Something like this?

Silvermaiden
Sorcerer hero /w Crescendo
Green Seer
Goblin Shaman

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

jjac posted:

I'm kind of getting into this game again now that it's on Steam and the energy system is gone, can I get an invite to a guild for the ridiculous loot I keep hearing about?

Invite code: JJAC

Bandire posted:

Gem Boiz is full, and I think Blossums are as well. You may want to join a pubbie guild for a little bit until we have an opening.

Blossums isn't full, actually -- booted Tretiak a little while ago. I just didn't invite jjac because I thought Boiz had an opening after Megazver left. I am sending an invite now.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

A tip I picked up today: if you don't like your guild wars opponent, back out to the kingdom map and your opponent will change if there is another option at that tier. Scouting is cheap, might as well use it.

It would really help for future guild wars if people would post the (edit: color-matched) teams that go 5-0 so they can be compiled. Please note traits unlocked and banner choice if possible.

This team went undefeated today and didn't take any extraordinary luck to do so:
Crimson Bat*
Valkyrie***
Void Portal***
Crimson Bat*

Dragon banner

Blacula fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 28, 2017

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Meh, I lost a troop today due to some unlucky matches, no longer a flawless record.. :( On the other hand I got lucky that Death Knight didn't kill a troop, so whatever. I guess Death Knight is going to be really good for defense teams, I'll be on the watch out and bring something to stun him the next time.

Otherwise, my team worked flawlessly, this was it (all Mythic and fully traited):
Bone Dragon
Kraken
Hellcat
Death

Having two troops that are boosted by this week's event is definitely nice.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I don't think I'm gonna go 2/3 today like the last few, beating 8000+ teams are like trying to roll a natural 20 for my little 2100 team

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

norp posted:

I don't think I'm gonna go 2/3 today like the last few, beating 8000+ teams are like trying to roll a natural 20 for my little 2100 team

God loving dammit

If I had realised my whole team was going to get deathmarked *and die from it*. I would have chosen differently with my Maw.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Gems of War

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Still murdering everything 5-0 with jarl/justice/valk/mab, team still managed to get me through some scary mythic teams somehow

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blossums hit 20k, go hog wild on the seals!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Synthbuttrange posted:

Blossums hit 20k, go hog wild on the seals!

That extra 50 seals for everyone for winning the daily guild battle makes a big difference. We cleared 20k this morning too.

I'm a little torn on guild wars. It's fun now, but feeling like I have to play every day in a casual spare time phone game is a little off-putting. I log in a bunch of times every day to collect tribute, but I won't always have 30 minutes in a day to juggle teams and play 5 matches. Hopefully they do add a bunch more team slots soon.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

Bandire posted:

I'm a little torn on guild wars. It's fun now, but feeling like I have to play every day in a casual spare time phone game is a little off-putting. I log in a bunch of times every day to collect tribute, but I won't always have 30 minutes in a day to juggle teams and play 5 matches. Hopefully they do add a bunch more team slots soon.

I'm really enjoying guild wars. As a higher level player before guild wars after I hit rank 1 in PVP there wasn't really anything that I wanted to do. Especially when the event of the week involved defeating enemies in explore. No thanks. Now I can do something meaningful every day. It's also forced me to try out new teams and new troops. It also helps that the goon guilds aren't super competitive so winning all 5 matches everyday doesn't feel like an obligation.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I've gone 5-0 every day with ***

-soothsayer
-valk
-bat
-bat

Only one color not covered, I use the +2 blue, +1 yellow banner.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

RussianBear posted:

I'm really enjoying guild wars. As a higher level player before guild wars after I hit rank 1 in PVP there wasn't really anything that I wanted to do. Especially when the event of the week involved defeating enemies in explore. No thanks. Now I can do something meaningful every day. It's also forced me to try out new teams and new troops. It also helps that the goon guilds aren't super competitive so winning all 5 matches everyday doesn't feel like an obligation.

It's been fun playing around with new combos for sure. It just feels like the time demand effectively doubled for me to do everything I want to do in a given week. Granted this is only a problem because I am a giant OCD retard.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

As a newbie this seems to have added something way more awesome than all of the existing content.
Once I finish my 5 matches everything else feels like a grind just to build up kingdoms and troops

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

I was also upset at the jump in time played that guild wars added, but stopped short of quitting when I realized it would mostly be front-loaded figuring out new teams that have every troop using the daily mana color for max points. Once there's a decent list of options for each color (not everyone has the rarer troops, or all traits, etc), just slot one and play 5 matches, ezpz.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's quick enough to bang out the five matches most of the time, I don't even bother with matching colors and whatever, mainly because I only have that one team built up and it's what I like so I'll keep using that.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The problem I see with Guild Wars is that losing a troop is a big deal for the highest level players, so we'll eventually start seeing teams that rely on RNG rolls (Kraken, Kerberos, death mark, etc.) to remove one or more troops from the invading team. Not that you can't win the match with troops missing, but it's just less fun coming up against an obvious griefing team.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Yep, but summon troops will serve that niche because as long as your team ends with 4 troops you get the full points you would have with 0 deaths.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
For purple I took down a 5-0 with a fully traited

Silvermaiden
Kraken
Keeper of Souls
Green Seer

I got a little lucky against the mab/justice team I faced, where they never got an infinite combo started. But I like to think it was because of diligent clearing of blue, through either matches or turning them into skulls or green gems.

I liked silvermaiden as a front line because I could barrier up the turn before a bone dragon or keeper fired off their ability, which could mitigate a ton of damage. The self cleanse also came in handy against a few freezers i came up against. Kraken is good for taking pot shots at a back line famine, and whittling everyone down with 4 or 5 gem matches.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I was able to do the last 2 day's colors but forgot on the yellow day that colors were a thing that mattered.
Today i just wasn't able to because my purple options were limited or not traited. Today's fights were one random low level fight then 4 traited mythic Korvash/Valk/Justice/Mab teams. Barely won the last fight, was down to my back line mana generators and won with a couple lucky skull matches.

We're getting killed in points today though.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I went 5-0 with:

Silvermaiden
Sorcerer hero Crescendo
Green Seer
Goblin Shaman

Never really ran in to any trouble either. Silvermaiden is a beast and Sorcerer Crescendo is nuts.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Went 4-1 with a very slow mostly untraited

Silvermaiden
Dragon Soul (fully traited, but only legendary)
Banshee
Spirit Fox

Spirit Fox was MVP for blocking all sorts of poo poo that would have ruined my day. The one battle I lost was to a team with too many awesome spells for Spirit Fox to lock them all down. Silvermaiden did a great job of not dying.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

norp posted:

As a newbie this seems to have added something way more awesome than all of the existing content.
Once I finish my 5 matches everything else feels like a grind just to build up kingdoms and troops

I'm kind of having the opposite feeling - Guild Wars fights feel like a necessary grind of losing matches against much more advanced teams that I have to get through; and by the time I'm done I don't really feel like playing the game anymore (I normally only do 5-7 matches a day as I'm not a heavy duty player).

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not geared for the guild wars and getting unfun times having your face stomped, just don't do them. S'cool. Just do what you do find fun and eventually you'll get together a team that is competitive with the autistics.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Just remember, if you don't have hemorrhoids you're not trying hard enough.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So my dumb idiot newbie team keeps winning in Guild Wars against fully traited teams of mythics depsite having no one fully traited. The Kraken probably isn't newbie friendly, but if anyone else lucked into one the rest of the team is easy to find.

Kraken*
Giant Spider**
Goblin Shaman*
Valkyrie**

All you need is one lucky devour on the Kraken and you're golden, and even without it you poo poo out enough damage quickly enough to keep things under control. I'd love to snag Water Link on the Valkyrie, but I don't have the stones yet.

Been using the Unicorn banner since I just turn red gems into blues or purples 99% of the time. This falls apart if the Kraken dies and Spider Swarms become the main source of damage, so Dark Elven banner might be better overall, but you usually really really rely on firing off an endless stream of Depths Belows so YMMV.

Greengarden
Nov 10, 2009
Went:

Herald of Chaos ***
Mist Stalker ***
Kraken **
Abynissia **

With 2x purple banner for a trivial 5/0.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
First Mythic! It's Pharos-Ra and he seems pretty cool. Won't fit on my team but maybe I'll set up something that uses him.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I lost my last match to a Valkyrie, Justice, Mab team. I had him down to just Mab, but she had 192 attack, and I missed a skull match. So close!

For green, I am testing Draakulis, Famine, Spirit Fox, and Soothsayer and a Kraken based team with Giant Spider with the red/green tree guy from Forest of Thorns and Sylvanmora. Draakulis and Famine are a killer combo, only because they are both pretty OP and get almost all of the mana. Soothsayer helps power up Draakulis, and has some useful traits.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It'd be nice if you could give your teams a name

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

norp posted:

It'd be nice if you could give your teams a name

Under bonuses, below the banner and what team bonuses you have, there's a button to rename teams.

Try clicking on the banner in the left hand list to close it to make sure your changes take. It's tricky for me.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

waffles beyond waffles posted:

For green, I am testing Draakulis, Famine, Spirit Fox, and Soothsayer and a Kraken based team with Giant Spider with the red/green tree guy from Forest of Thorns and Sylvanmora. Draakulis and Famine are a killer combo, only because they are both pretty OP and get almost all of the mana. Soothsayer helps power up Draakulis, and has some useful traits.

For that green bonus event a while back I ran the following:

Draakulis
Finley
Soothsayer
Mercy

It is pretty strong and I plan on using it again for tomorrow. I used the Blackhawk banner too, so you constantly have Soothsayer ready to cast. Finley combos pretty well with Draakulis because it's really easy to find a 4 match that works with a 3 color, and removing skulls keeps him alive long enough to get a cast off. After that when Draakulis has 150 health he's not going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'm torn. After a one-hour match against Khorvash/Valk/Justice/Mab (I won with the skulls destroyed by Silvermaiden's spell :toot:), I pretty desperately want Mercy on today's team. On the other hand, if I use Mercy I shouldn't also use Krystenax.

So,

Orion***
Nyx*
Sylvanimora***
Mercy***

Krystenax***
Dark Maiden***
Spirit Fox***
Sylvanimora***

?