Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Boosted in a GC with a 6 speed for Hill climb madness? I'm pretty sure it's been done enough times by now that most of the process has been documented.

The MCM guys did it with an EZ36 and got a liberty wagon into the 11s on 8psi, so a decent flex fuel setup with better rods should get you something stupidly fast, if that's a thing you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
EZ30 into a BRZ/FT86

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Both tempting.

Altho I'm kinda thinking fairly straightforward - Supercharging the Liberty. A basic RaptorSC kit really wakes the 3.0R up and better pistons / rods mean I can push 10+psi boost easily and safely. Also basically a plug and play kit in Australia.

Annnyway that's the future. Back to the present.

So the next bit is where I've been tripped up on the interior swap. Turns out Subaru made some minor but very annoying dash and centre console mounting braket changes. Out comes the drills and time to document

At least removal is easy. Centre punch spot weld, small pilot hole, 5mm then 6mm drill. 6.5mm if I havent quite centred the punch properly to start with. Also note I didnt care about leaving holes behind on the donor. THAT has to be different on the car I'm welding them back onto

Chip off sound deadening to reveal the extent of bracket and spot welds, repeat.

This bracket is 50mm too far forward.

I'm guessing the metal ledge hooks on the top of this mount help mount the 99 dash. This is on the 95 where the dash doesnt rise up but rather has a large step in it

About this time I realize I've missed four other spot welds and I'm out of light.

Otherwise the bulkhead is the same apart from the dash mounts at the windshield.

95 mounts are more inboard. Now those will be a PITA to change so I'm thinking about making a new bracket that goes from the old mount to the new dash, rather that welding something onto firewall.

And given this is AI, have some cats

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's a lot of cats!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

That's a lot of cats!

So after a cuppa tea, back onto removing brcekts I need to move over

Not even butchered badly.

Reference photos before it comes out

Removing sound deadener tar, one chip at a time :/ - I need some dry ice

Not happy I had to cut the wires to remove the tank sender lead. Eh. I'll live

Sizing up the main console mount

Well..... gently caress. Someone really hosed up the inlet fuel line. Not happy.

(It should be parallel witht he other fuel / breather lines)

So basically another step forward / step back frustrating day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So I drove a Tesla Model X P90D(?)

The VERY good -

Mechanicals are utter top notch. Handles and stops soooooo much better than a 7 seater should. And holy gently caress those falcon doors are a right goddam riot... and surprsingly useful. Remarkably silent (duh). loving wicked in stop start traffic.

The truly alarmingly brilliant -

JFC the "throttle" response is on a new planet. It's weird but there is also no real lag at all - you get what you want basically faster than your brain can tell there is any lag in response - no V8 or ITB 4 cyl can match how goddamn accurate the power regulation is
Autonomus mode. Freaky. Be hosed if I'll trust it to drive itself but honestly the trchnology and what it can do is pretty amaing

The just plain alarming -

The acceleration. With no lag it just HITS you. No wind up, no stutter, no build, you just get EVERYTHING and you are fired down the road. Hoooooy crap. Hit the "throttle" and you are just GONE.

The not so good -

The interior is just.... crap. The seating arrangement is just meh. The dash console is hit or miss, some cool gimmick and displays but mostly meh.

The truly awful -

The touchscreen. gently caress THAT. You have to take your eyes off the raod to use and that is just straight out no in my book. I hated the interface otherwise. gently caress this poo poo with a crow bar bad.

Overall - my god, driving a Tesla is an experience. If this is the future of EV's then bring it the gently caress on...... except can we get a better interior and better controls? I would punch the touchscreen in short order in frustration if I owned one. A serious let down from an otherwise remarkable bit of hardware.

Your kms may vary on the interior and touchscreen tho. It may work for you. The ability to beat the living poo poo out of anything on the traffic light derby however, that's not in dispute. And it is a nice thing to steer hard

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

*sigh*

So I guess anyone reading this is more interested if (when?) I get another wreck of a Subaru than diversions about cool cars?

Oh God why do I even what am I doing I finally got the Gc8 I posted thoughts about getting back in January?

I can fix this MY00 GC8 WRX. But first I have some critical parts that I need for the wagon and something I can use for reference.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hello is this mic on?

Annnnyway.....

Ever seen inside a GC8 chassis rail? Me neither until now. No wonder the 18V sawall drat near caught fire, I had no idea there was so much metal there

How cute

So. I have to remove a few things to continue. The nasty one was the turbo as the TD05 will not fit witht he MY99 manifold. So with some swearing and relief a few bolts were missing

Okay. Wait a sec. There should be two studs there....? What the gently caress?

Did they.... did they use silicon gasket on the loving turbo flange???????

Oh for fucks sake, one of the down pipe stds has been cut off. And there is clear evidence on the gearbox the silicon gasket gave way in about five seconds. And the down pipe doesnt feel right either.... like it hasnt been mounted to the motor and there is something broken

Ummm.... it shouldnt do this. And there's no brace at all. And the down pipe isnt secured to the gearbox. FUUUUUUU

UCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

What the HELL was the PO thinking??????? Silicon gasket? No supports for the exhaust and turbo???? I mean I knew the PO was an idiot but this just takes the cake.

So after flinging that away, the MY95 style ABS is removed

Wiring removed again due to welding needing to be done

Seats and centre console removed.

Okay. Productive day other than discovering the exhaust headers and uppipe is FUBAR and I cant use it. The PO being a moron did help with the turbo removal so I guess I cant complain too much.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I do know the oldschool solution was to take the compressor cover of those TD05s and put them on the lathe to turn them into a straight inlet for the later style motors. I'd be more than a bit tempted by that in your shoes... but then, I have a lathe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're doing good work saving this poor car. What an rear end in a top hat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

I do know the oldschool solution was to take the compressor cover of those TD05s and put them on the lathe to turn them into a straight inlet for the later style motors. I'd be more than a bit tempted by that in your shoes... but then, I have a lathe.

Replacement turbos of about the same size are just too easy and cheap to get hold of for me to bother. Plus missing studs. I might pull it apart for fun and see if any more horrors are inside

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're doing good work saving this poor car. What an rear end in a top hat.

Thanks - lets be honest tho I'm about the only person stupid enough to take what otherwise would be a worthless piece of scrap and try to resurrect it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Good job saving that poor car

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Replacement turbos of about the same size are just too easy and cheap to get hold of for me to bother. Plus missing studs. I might pull it apart for fun and see if any more horrors are inside

Honestly I'm just annoyed at how the supply of actual-MHI Subaru flange TDO5 16Gs and the like has dried up, at least over here. If the pricing on them was the same as it was 10 years ago or so, I'd already have one on my WRX.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So having a look at the sedan MY00's boot properly.... and Hmmmmmm

Yeah. I can fix this. I have a 10 ton porta-power and every smash repair tool known.

Now... I know when to cut losses and run. Even if I have a lot of spare motors, the MY00's engine was already out and it's going into the red wagon.

A complete known working engine will shortcut heavily what I need to do. I could rebuild one of the spares buuut.... eh. Probably cost me more to rebuild. This cost me two air bags and the corresponding body ECU (and a few bucks but not many).... and I have saved a LOT of hours I hope. Oh, I do have to replace the rear main seal but again..... eh. Big imrpovement on the huge amount of work to get the B4 motor working.

Plan now is to remove the B4 engine and put it aside for a proper build.

Annnnd it bit me taking it off the trailer.

In other APRC nnews, the WRC Tank was redynoed and now has 3 less Kw but 30 more NM and running a better A/F. How does 640NM @ 3600 sound? If it sounds like driving a V8 you would be right. That's how much of a torque monster it is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seen while picking up a radiator for the Liberty. Kinda was wondering WTF it was doing at a speed shop.

....Oh. Yeah that will be why

Rally of Canberra. Driveshaft carnage. KB however still got 8th outright APRC and 9th ARC

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 29, 2017

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Is RIP180 just a standard issue plate or is that personalised?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
https://www.facebook.com/charles.wannop/posts/1491041027636359

Here... Have some multimedia extravaganza!!!!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Whoa, a rust free Datsun 120Y

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/10154726158968723/

And some in-car ... Big air at 170kph looks boring from the inside!

https://www.facebook.com/NatCapRally/videos/1546237968760081/

And some spectator stage!

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 5, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Whoa, a rust free Datsun 120Y

Nah, it's got some Datsun Dioxide. Not much admittedly but it's juuuust there

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=B-kB-fGXED4

Weeeeeeeee

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Long weekend, lots of rain so not much riding will be doen. However I have garage to work in

Friday night, time to make a good start - unbolt the engine from the gearbox and crossmember. And poo poo, four bolt gearbox. Can you say glass gearbox?

Alloy front arms....? New sway bar links? Hmmmm. How the gently caress could they screw up the engine and get this right?

All was going well until.... we realised we hosed up. It's a pull clutch and that meant we forgot to remove the clutch fork pivot. ANNND it's rusted and the removal bolt broke. So. What to do, the clutch fork HAD to be removed before the engine would swing free.

Well.... we could get to the clutch / flywheel bolts. That'll work

And out it came. And also a win as the flywheel is new (!), the clutch is new (!) and the spigot bearing likewise new. That's all going to be transferred to the engine to go in.

Pressure plate took a bit of persuasion to come off

But likewise, brand new and good quality to boot!

Pretty weird to see something done right with so many fuckups otherwise. Oh and the old engine was a time bomb, the timing belt was being munched by a piece of cable tie in an idler pulley (DAFUQ?) and an oil return line that couldnt work. Still, it's a B4 motor so it's going to be torn down and built up as a hot motor.

But anyway that gearbox is a worry. It'll get it on the road but honestly, four bolt WRX gearboxes are terrible and fragile. This WILL need to be changed sooner than later. Also will need to be changed to a push clutch.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 9, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Instead of pulling the pin, you can release the TOB through the hole the fork comes through with a long flathead screwdriver.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Why the gently caress does Subaru do pull clutches? Why!?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, the pivot and fork are a lot stronger on them, and the TOBs are less squeaky. I had my clutch fork break on an n/a car with a fairly soft clutch.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I mean more like, why don't they do a good push clutch?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

I mean more like, why don't they do a good push clutch?

They do. There is nothing wrong with Subaru push clutches. The 95 pyll clutch like everything else on that gearbox is a rabid piece of poo poo however

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

jamal posted:

Instead of pulling the pin, you can release the TOB through the hole the fork comes through with a long flathead screwdriver.

Tried that, it was too gummed up to release. It was literally 5mm apart and the inner clip would not release.

Mouse pee....

Eventually got the pin out using a pair of vice grips to act as a hammer point... Because they had sealed the pin cover with grey silastic......

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 11, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The mouse piss thing is literal. The car when we picked it up was mouse piss and mouse poo poo covered

And.... FFS, they siliconed the goddamn pin??? I was out doing other things so I didnt see that. But wow that's right up there in stupid.

KB now understand why I just dont trust a goddamn thing the P.O. did. Still doesnt understand why I'm trying to resurrect the WReckX tho.

Annnyway...... another day, another WRX I'm helping to fix. This one had a front ender so it's slide hamemr and crow bars to get the front end straight enough to remove damaged poo poo

Yeah that radiator wont hold coolant

Took a hour of hammering the poo poo out of it to get it liek that. The radiator support was basically on the alternator.

Need engine covers, power steering bracket, power steering pump is suspect, the wheel is bent, AC tensioner screwed too

[timg]http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2017/06/11/20170611032214-3fbac0f4-xx.jpg[timg]

Fuse box, maybe some wiring

ABS block mount maybe

Engine looks now to be in the right place tho I think the engine mounts will be done.

Air box busted

Guards as well of course - it looks a mess but the rails are straight and nothing bent in front of the towers. Very very fixable

There's a reason why I spent a few hours belting this thing straighter and begnning disassembly for the panel beater ....

3" stainless steel exhaust with twin tip muffler for the WReckX of course

Front bumper to repair and rear wing off the sedan MY00

One badly needed underbonnet underscoop

Pin out, P.O. strikes. AGAIN. loving hell ho can anyone be this loving dumb with mechanicals... and I thought the wiring was hosed up.

Last bit for today was shopping -

Kingcrome tool bag, wheel platform for moving motors about easily, box for storage of wiring, another wheel platform for moving poo poo about, not seen screwdrivers. Should make my life easier.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
How are you going to get that front corner out?
Got the same problem in my falcon ute when I reversed into a low "Y" tree stump in the dark, right on the tail light corner so I need to fix it for rego. It was a big whack because I was sliding up a grass hill so I was gunning it up backwards.
I've broken hammers and bent levers trying to get that corner to move and inch. Unfortunately I don't have oxy acet any more and mapp just burns paint in too wide and area
My solution so far is just hope to buy a s/h well body/tub since it's an AU tub on a BA ute anyway which hurts resale.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 11, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Got the same problem in my falcon ute and I've broken hammers and bent levers trying to get it to move and inch. My solution so far is just hope to buy a s/h well body/tub since it's an AU tub on a BA ute anyway which hurts resale.

Pay someone else to straighten it.

However if you want to DIY, whhat you need is an oxy kit, a porta-power, some good panel beatin dowels and hammers, and a lot of paitence.

Basically, use the oxy to heat things up so the metal becomes plastic enough to easily shape, use porta power to pop most of it into rough position and then use the panel beating dollys to shape the metal

So for an example we started ith this....

Add porta power and heat then using heat to help final shape ...

And here's the result ready to be given the final smoothing

The other solution would be to drill out spot weld on front of the towers and strip the panels away then weld in new front pieces. Basically a Subaru can be nose transplanted that way.

Anyone be instested in a short detour on panel beating, like showing how to use a porta power?

Edit - Damnt hat car was a hell of a fix in the end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 11, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Got the same problem in my falcon ute when I reversed into a low "Y" tree stump in the dark, right on the tail light corner so I need to fix it for rego. It was a big whack because I was sliding up a grass hill so I was gunning it up backwards.
I've broken hammers and bent levers trying to get that corner to move and inch. Unfortunately I don't have oxy acet any more and mapp just burns paint in too wide and area
My solution so far is just hope to buy a s/h well body/tub since it's an AU tub on a BA ute anyway which hurts resale.

Double posting - Post pictures please, I can tell you what to do from there. Also you wouldnt happen to be close tot he Blue Mountains would you? The porta power will straighten drat near anything

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's an annoying place for a rad support to get bent. Don't you have a rear-ended Subaru lying around somewhere that you can gank a clean rad support from?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's an annoying place for a rad support to get bent. Don't you have a rear-ended Subaru lying around somewhere that you can gank a clean rad support from?

It's about a 18 hour job if you take it off from in front of the towers.

It's how we changed the 2003 into a 2006 spec C..... Inner bracing took another 4...

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I think from memory fo3 is a wa good so he's not real close for doing smash repairs. How many subbies are you up to now?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone be instested in a short detour on panel beating, like showing how to use a porta power?

Hell yes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, just smashed my way through the whole thread, and while disappointed that the RX-7 is still mothballed, I'm learning a lot about Subaru Lego.
And now i want a Legacy (US-spec Liberty) wagon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

So, just smashed my way through the whole thread, and while disappointed that the RX-7 is still mothballed, I'm learning a lot about Subaru Lego.
And now i want a Legacy (US-spec Liberty) wagon.

The RX-7 is on our minds - just been pushed to one side while a heap of other stuff gets done.

Mostly because we saw what's happening with early RX-7 prices... and in a couple of years it's going to have more real world value than the rest of the fleet. Once the WreckX is done, the 7 goes back into the workshop to do.... now I'm not sure. It was going to be a track day car bro but it's not a throwaway car anymore.

Still want to Group C flare it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The RX-7 is on our minds - just been pushed to one side while a heap of other stuff gets done.

Mostly because we saw what's happening with early RX-7 prices... and in a couple of years it's going to have more real world value than the rest of the fleet. Once the WreckX is done, the 7 goes back into the workshop to do.... now I'm not sure. It was going to be a track day car bro but it's not a throwaway car anymore.

Still want to Group C flare it.

I'm hoping I can find a Group C kit here in the US for my '79. I could make due with the usual ZG-style flares, but I really want the Group C look, and the either the Group B paint scheme, or the Mazda factory GTU scheme, but in blue over white. First I need a new engine, and to get rid of a couple of the spare cars to generate cash and garage space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Google group c kit on Gumtree (the aus version)... Lots of sellerss!

Stay tuned for RX7 updates.... But for the red one!

Anyway, have a newspaper article!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/penrith-press/sport/dunn-out-to-beat-the-odds/news-story/4c109362380d8057661251dd81e346c4