Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Glad to know that making posho's work in a field for a bit is apparently the wank fantasy de rigour for UKMT posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
most poshos do a bit of gardening work on the estate anyway!!!

lol 0wned UMKT ahhahaha

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

Agricultural business in the UK would be largely hosed without slave labour. It's intensive work that requires reasonable physical fitness and risk of injury, for which you either need to pay people properly and take a massive profit loss, or rig the system so you can essentially keep slavery going.

I'd say have a go using C/D cat prisoners but that would bring so many problems it wouldn't even be considered.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

^-- Isn't this literally Brave New World now?

vodkat posted:

Glad to know that making posho's work in a field for a bit is apparently the wank fantasy de rigour for UKMT posters.

Especially if said field is in Flanders

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kegluneq posted:

^-- Isn't this literally Brave New World now?

Probably but if you're going to be lovely to people let it be your own people. Prisoners do work for a pittance already anyway and a bit of outdoor work would be nice.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
erm unless you have them chained together I think they might use the opportunity to escape

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yes, let's use prisoners to undercut the labour market and drive up profit for private agriculture. This cannot possibly (and indeed never has) end badly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best part is you can never have a labor shortage because the farms can just lean on the legislators to make up new crimes.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Doo de doo im just a judge with shares in big agri companies, and a couple of mates in the g4s operated prison down the road dont mind me lol!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
You stupid cunts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nothing bad going on here, no sir.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Doo de doo im just a judge with shares in big agri companies, and a couple of mates in the g4s operated prison down the road dont mind me lol!

I don't even want to think about what would happen with G4S involved. It's already unworkable but with G4S I could see them letting a prisoner escape and an innocent person being taken back instead.

Edit: Obviously I don't think it would happen I was just thinking how much I'd rather have worked picking fruit or veg. Going from cell to workshop to cell to workshop to cell wasn't much fun.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 28, 2017

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

bessantj posted:

I'd say have a go using C/D cat prisoners but that would bring so many problems it wouldn't even be considered.

Beyond the very apt and just comparisons to the absolute clusterfucking orgy of pain, suffering and greed that is the US prison system- If there's a job to be done, then someone should be paid a proper wage for said work. Work isn't punishment and shouldn't be treated as such.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/edballs/status/63623585020915713

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/edballs/status/857978132191694848

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

Beyond the very apt and just comparisons to the absolute clusterfucking orgy of pain, suffering and greed that is the US prison system- If there's a job to be done, then someone should be paid a proper wage for said work. Work isn't punishment and shouldn't be treated as such.

I didn't see the work I did as punishment even if it was mind numbing, very low paid and repetitive. And yeah I know it's unworkable just would have been nice to get some outdoor time.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
In a sense work makes you free

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

JFairfax posted:

erm unless you have them chained together I think they might use the opportunity to escape

Anecdot: This is nonsense bollox. Way back in the 80s I worked on an archaeological project in coastal Cumbria, one of our volunteers was a screw from Haverigg (he was a very nice guy who had had to choose between that, the MOD at Eskmeals or WindscaleSellafield if he wanted local work) he asked for permission to bring a handful of 'trusties' to work with us and the prison let him. We ended up with about 5 guys who were so drat happy to be outside and meeting new people even if they were mostly pushing wheelbarrows. No escapes were attempted. Our boss wanted to give them something for all their work but was told that wasn't allowed so he gave them presents of tins of tobacco instead which went down really well.

Also :tinfoil: I'm currently calling around loads of breakers yards trying to find a bit for my old van, one listing gave a national 0800 number - I called it and got a recorded message thanking me for my vote in a Daily Mail poll... What the hell did I just vote for? And is this how they get all their 'results'?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Guavanaut posted:

It's not mandatory unless you're deciding to go into further education. It might put off some of the poshos who were planning to go on the family ticket, but a crushing lifelong unpayable debt is putting off plenty of ordinary young people right now, and a sneering admissions board looking at the Secondary Modern on your application put off lots of people before then on the old system. Provided that there were fair medical exemptions it would be a more equal system than any of the previous ones.

Of course there's no way that such a system wouldn't turn into an exploitative hellhole under the current government, but the current system is an exploitative hellhole under the current government, so I think I see the common factor there.

He's been a consistent twat on family issues for a long time. Maybe him and his 'old university chum' would be better at harvesting beets than writing newspaper articles.

lol no

haakman
May 5, 2011
Let's not idealised the countryside like a Narodnik too much. It's filled with twats and frankly as soon as they automate the rest of agriculture the better.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want to work in agriculture, I'd even start off at minimum wage, but there are no jobs round here, in the middle of the countryside. :( There are many posh stately homes though, and my lunatic plan is to take a year off my real job in the NHS that I despise, to redesign and makeover the huge community gardens in my area in my own time (I have permission) and then use that as my CV. If it fails and I have to go back then at least I can say that I achieved something that will make a dirt poor community better while I'm trying to stop mental health patients from stabbing nurses.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

haakman posted:

Let's not idealised the countryside like a Narodnik too much. It's filled with twats and frankly as soon as they automate the rest of agriculture the better.
I don't think anyone here is idealizing the countryside, the problem is that food is produced by a terrible system of work, and anything that improves that (and the surrounding problems) is good.

Anything that has the work being done by an other (migrants, prisoners, the unemployed) usually results in bad things. Collectivized/communal agriculture sounds good, but I can't help but think that it would just end up being a bunch of people buying shares in a farm and having the existing workers do all the hard stuff under the current system.

Maybe if we changed diets to food more easily automated/mechanized. That's not going to happen, but it does allow people to tell Jamie Oliver to gently caress off with his artisanal cherry tomatoes, which is a known social good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

haakman posted:

Fully automated luxury communism is my kind of communism.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I never understand why people with communist leanings don't campaign to help save and expand on our existing communal allotment areas which would enable more people to feed themselves cheaper. It's two extremes, not enough allotment space in some areas, and in others where there may be the space the people don't want to use it. Allotment groups are fighting the councils tooth and nail for what we have all the time, and could actually do with any help in this we can get. It's something the left can actually do rather than pie in the sky overthrow the government ramblings.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
LemonDrizzle alert, an interesting claim from an insider

quote:

How do you think Crosby and his team will approach this election? Will they target Jeremy Corbyn?

I recently spoke to a well-known right-wing journalist and he told me that Tory HQ doesn’t have much more on Jeremy and John McDonnell. Everyone seems to think they’ve loads of bad stories on Jeremy and John, but they don’t. They’ve already used them and so they’re priced-in, they have already impacted public opinion. The journalist thinks the Tories have maybe one or two front-page negative stories to place in the press for the whole campaign. So the extent to which Lynton Crosby can run a negative campaign is limited.

Most people know about Jeremy and John’s past, they’ve either already factored it in or simply don’t care. So I don’t think that would be the best approach for Crosby. But of course, if Labour start to rise in the polls, as I think they will, then it will get a lot more ugly. In 2015 when everyone thought Ed Miliband was going to win, Crosby ran a strong campaign suggesting Labour would go into coalition with the Scottish Nationalist Party and that Ed Miliband would be in Alex Salmond’s pocket. It was baseless but it worked.

I think the last week of Labour’s campaign was effective. We’ll see if that’s impacted the polls in the next few days. If it has then I think we’ll see the Crosby machine move into gear.

remarkable confidence, even if true

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

In a sense work makes you free

Bantz

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ronya posted:

LemonDrizzle alert, an interesting claim from an insider

remarkable confidence, even if true
This reminds me of that piece from Andrew Rawnsley where he says one Tory strategy is to disingenuously talk up Labour's chances to ensure a decent turnout among Conservative voters who might otherwise stay at home because the result is a forgone conclusion.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 28, 2017

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

learnincurve posted:

I never understand why people with communist leanings don't campaign to help save and expand on our existing communal allotment areas which would enable more people to feed themselves cheaper. It's two extremes, not enough allotment space in some areas, and in others where there may be the space the people don't want to use it. Allotment groups are fighting the councils tooth and nail for what we have all the time, and could actually do with any help in this we can get. It's something the left can actually do rather than pie in the sky overthrow the government ramblings.

it's basically gardening. glossing it up as a first step to worker self-sufficiency and alternative radical organic community food sources runs in the face of the reality of disproportionate retirees doing it for a hobby.

Zephro posted:

Did you see that piece from Andrew Rawnsley where he says one Tory strategy is to disingenuously talk up Labour's chances to ensure a decent turnout among Conservative voters who might otherwise stay at home?

I did. But:

1) I am always skeptical of 11 dimension chess gambit claims - very sexy but very hard to pull off - and

2) it's Jacobin magazine and Matt Zarb-Cousin is a real person who exists, so I don't think this one's a trick

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 28, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It also occurred to me that the Tories big thing for this election is Brexit, which everyone already knows all about and there's nothing to announce until negotiations are getting wrapped up so they're relying on things NOT making the news and NOT talking about new policies so that people just vote on Brexit and incumbent advantage rather than the NHS or schools or anything.

If Labour moves the election onto policy they could really hold their own or even make ground.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

Nothing bad going on here, no sir.

It's worth pointing out that if this is Angola prison, Louisiana, it's literally an "ex"-cotton plantation where black convicts are kept in line by white guards on horseback who are literally referred to as freemen

e: I'm ok with posh cunts being made to toil the fields, as long as we're talking about clearing minefields

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I want to work in agriculture, I'd even start off at minimum wage, but there are no jobs round here, in the middle of the countryside. :( There are many posh stately homes though, and my lunatic plan is to take a year off my real job in the NHS that I despise, to redesign and makeover the huge community gardens in my area in my own time (I have permission) and then use that as my CV. If it fails and I have to go back then at least I can say that I achieved something that will make a dirt poor community better while I'm trying to stop mental health patients from stabbing nurses.

If you are serious about changing work to a agricultural job, just go to your local college - assuming you already live in the country. They will have night / weekend courses on skills that your area needs. Honestly most skills are already covered but some e.g. dry stone walling, are always in demand yet don't pay well. Other jobs generally are animal related e.g. hoof trimmers, sheep shearers, etc, and generally require equipment (trailer mounted crush aka cattle pen) and require years of experience before you could get any work in it.

Other job that is also agricultural related is joiner, as there is always something need mending and many farmers just don't have the time to do it themselves. Pay is poor though.

ukle fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 28, 2017

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

ronya posted:

1) I am always skeptical of 11 dimension chess gambit claims - very sexy but very hard to pull off - and

As far as election strategies go it seems like a very simple one?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

namesake posted:

It also occurred to me that the Tories big thing for this election is Brexit, which everyone already knows all about and there's nothing to announce until negotiations are getting wrapped up so they're relying on things NOT making the news and NOT talking about new policies so that people just vote on Brexit and incumbent advantage rather than the NHS or schools or anything.

If Labour moves the election onto policy they could really hold their own or even make ground.

due reminder:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/856118845739806721

but the core of what you say is not wrong - they need to move the election toward its more popular policies - but this is because that's a direction away from Corbyn

Gum posted:

As far as election strategies go it seems like a very simple one?

not really - it involves some careful engineering to pick out beliefs that a marginally lazy Tory voter would believe that Labour voters would believe, but would not be politlcally susceptible themselves marginally, so that that one doesn't go around unwittingly popularising Labour as a brand

"X is really popular, watch out" is not a uniformly repellent message - this is just way too much engineering to be plausible as a general strategy

at a second-tier level it involves getting a bunch of local/regional party coordinators in a room and telling them, ok, let's tell everyone Labour's about to win but we actually know Labour's not about to win, because these are the actual marginals we're pouring resources into, ok? and you might regard this is a straightforward notion of a lie but it's actually really difficult to run a bureaucracy on this sort of doublethink

don't get me wrong here, there's probably at least one Tory strategist who has put forth the idea, but that's a law of large numbers thing. it's not an idea you can strategize a campaign around

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 28, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Tories absolutely will talk up Labour's chances. Their only enemy this election is complacency.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
@ukle, what I really want to do is landscape gardening or work in a nursery, second option would be to work for the council. My situation is that I can't take the time off work and afford to get the actual qualifications needed to even get my foot in the door in horticulture. It does sound strange when summaried but there is method in my madness, the gardens which are currently in danger of becoming derelict, are linked to one of the big estates and the council, and I'm already making connections. (It's not what you know and all that) I also get to direct working parties of volunteers so it's not just one crazy lady doing several acres on her own. :)

ronya posted:

it's basically gardening. glossing it up as a first step to worker self-sufficiency and alternative radical organic community food sources runs in the face of the reality of disproportionate retirees doing it for a hobby.

With all due respect you are making yourself sound really rather stupid with this post. It's not just retirees and hasn't been for years. A lot of allotments are kept going by mental health charities who are able to secure the funding and justification for councils to keep them open. This is the stereotype we need to fight which stops young people from checking out the allotments and realising that a yearly fee for a patch of land of their own, which can feed them for a fraction of shop prices, is cheaper than grow bags in the garden or herb gardens on a windowsill. If more people want allotments and are complaining about the lack of them then we can force the councils to do something about it and provide more.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Is there a scheme to use private gardens because I have some space if so and I can let it for a fraction of the cost the council would

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/857977798685863941

Corbyn shrewdly loving with May on Peston this Sunday.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What do we think of Paul Mason's call for Caroline Lucas to be given a role in Labour's cabinet?

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/857935208938696704

What concessions would be required to Green policies?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A Sheffield Loop outside every shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
hey, you asked why the commies aren't eagerly raising the barricades to defend a hundred square meters of soil

"young people are not interested" is a good an answer as any, I'll go with that

• Locked thread