Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Have any of these people ever read the first amendment, or is there some special hack edition of the constitution where it just reads "I can say whatever I want without consequences"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Those poor, majestic birds... :911:

It kind of bugs me how people are so willing to poo poo all over bald eagles whenever some hack uses them in a political cartoon. Leave those adorable trash birds alone. It's not their fault awful weirdos use them as a symbol to convey their lovely opinions, just like elephants.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It kind of bugs me how people are so willing to poo poo all over bald eagles whenever some hack uses them in a political cartoon. Leave those adorable trash birds alone. It's not their fault awful weirdos use them as a symbol to convey their lovely opinions, just like elephants.

They're actually big dorky trash birds. It's funny. They're an amusing creature.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I still love the pictures/video of the dipshit in alaska who left a bunch of fish guts in an open container in the back of his pickup in a walmart parking lot and had like fifteen loving bald eagles all over it when he got out of the store.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
And they even kill themselves through their gluttony:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22625989/ns/us_news-life/t/bald-eagles-gorge-sink-then-die-alaska/

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Wow, there's a system in place to put dead bald eagles into the hands of Native Americans for ceremonial use.

I don't know why this makes me so happy. :unsmith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Internet Webguy posted:

The amount of willful ignorance in this cartoon is enough to kill a normal man.

Nothing gets past this cartoonist

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Iron Crowned posted:

the people who hate people on EBT cards don't give a poo poo because they totally saw them buy a grocery cart full of chips and sodas with an EBT card. Basically those kind of people won't be satisfied until poors are rounded up and force fed gruel for all their meals.
Yeah, you see this poo poo a lot. Always people looking in the carts of others to judge whether or not they "deserve" to eat that kind of food. Anything nicer than gruel is too good for them and they shouldn't be allowed. Basically "we pay for your food but you sure as hell better not ENJOY it!"

BarbarianElephant posted:

Sometimes people on EBT cards buy indulgent poo poo precisely *because* they need money for things like toilet paper and soap and diapers. They sell them to their neighbors for cash. So if you see a poor person with a trolley full of ramen, lunch meat and white bread, along with two lobsters and a birthday cake, they aren't necessarily idiots, but buying the fancy stuff for a neighbor in exchange for cash for essentials not covered by EBT.
Or, possibly, even poor people like to be able to have something nice from time to time, like Iron Crowned said.

This all reminds me a story I read from some kid who scrimped and saved for ages to get a gameboy or something, and then got screamed at in person, as a child by their neighbors because they shouldn't be allowed to have things like frivolous electronics. Maybe it was from before they were poor? Or a gift? Or maybe they just want one loving nice thing to distract from all the misery they face otherwise.
But people love judging too much.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I'm not convinced that conservatives want poor people to eat nothing but gruel. I'm pretty confident that conservatives think poor people don't "deserve" to eat at all. I base this on the number of times I've heard a conservatives around me say "You know, it used to be that if you didn't work you didn't eat!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Yet another man who can't tell the difference between a million and a billion and wants to be taken seriously as a thinker.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, you see this poo poo a lot. Always people looking in the carts of others to judge whether or not they "deserve" to eat that kind of food. Anything nicer than gruel is too good for them and they shouldn't be allowed. Basically "we pay for your food but you sure as hell better not ENJOY it!"

Or, possibly, even poor people like to be able to have something nice from time to time, like Iron Crowned said.

This all reminds me a story I read from some kid who scrimped and saved for ages to get a gameboy or something, and then got screamed at in person, as a child by their neighbors because they shouldn't be allowed to have things like frivolous electronics. Maybe it was from before they were poor? Or a gift? Or maybe they just want one loving nice thing to distract from all the misery they face otherwise.
But people love judging too much.

The thing is I've known people who've had to use EBT cards in the past, and I currently know someone who uses one now, you really have to be paying attention to the card as they're using it to not identify it as a run of the mill bank or credit card. It's not like they have a big red "EBT" stamped on it (although I'm sure R's would love to scarlet letter them that way), they're very neutral unless you're close enough to read the damned thing. Basically anyone who is screaming about seeing that stuff is full of poo poo.

Maybe it comes from having known several people over the years who've had to use SNAP to eat, but it that gets my blood boiling when people denigrate the poor. It's almost always the same not thought out arguments, and it chaps my rear end when they say no snacks. Bitch, how do you define a loving snack?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'm not convinced that conservatives want poor people to eat nothing but gruel. I'm pretty confident that conservatives think poor people don't "deserve" to eat at all. I base this on the number of times I've heard a conservatives around me say "You know, it used to be that if you didn't work you didn't eat!"

It's basically this, and usually coming from someone who is one mishap away from seeing what happens when you can't work because you can't afford back surgery.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

One of my idiot fucker coworkers was complaining about EBT the other day. He's just outside the qualifying range and he thinks if people stopped buying lobsters and junk food the state could afford to cover more people. He also suggested just getting rid of it entirely. I wish it would have occurred to me ask him why we shouldn't fund it to include more people, but I think I just wanted to talk about WoW instead.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Bonfire Lit posted:

Have any of these people ever read the first amendment, or is there some special hack edition of the constitution where it just reads "I can say whatever I want without consequences"?

The Bill of Rights, as read by McCoy, Garrison, Branco, Lester, and all your other favorites:

1.) If they can say that word, I can say that word.

2.) Shall NOT. BE. INFRINGED. Do I need to underline it for you? Of course "Arms" refers to everything between musket and 20mm gatling gun, but clearly excludes mortars. Why are you being so obtuse?

3.) This is an old law and thus has no meaning anymore.

4-9.) These were written before slavery was abolished. So it's pretty clear there's an implicit "unless you're brown" tacked on to all of them.

10.) Yes, we conveniently invoke or ignore this one as we see fit. Deal with it. :smuggo:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Virginie Le Borgne and Ghadi Ghosn discuss the French election.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

America 2017: Everything down here floats.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p-35922

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Letting that eagle fly away and leave the rest of us behind WOULD be terrible! I can see why we need those taxes and regulations to keep the Economy in sight. But he makes a good point, it's kind of restricting keeping it tethered so close to the ground. Needs a longer chain. More links of taxes and regulations will let it fly higher!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

D.N. Nation posted:

America 2017: Everything down here floats.
I blame you and boredom.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

She can't detect that they drive a brand new Cadillac Escalade too? She's no expert :colbert:

Although, around 10 years ago now I did go on a date with a social worker, and in conversation she explained why there are nice cars in poor neighborhoods. It's a commodity. Basically people who have reliable cars can exchange a rides and whatnot for other services they need, like someone to watch their kids.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Weird to choose a formerly endangered animal as your symbol for America's economy being held back by regulations and laws.

Given that they wouldn't even exist anymore if the government hadn't stepped in to save them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

Although, around 10 years ago now I did go on a date with a social worker, and in conversation she explained why there are nice cars in poor neighborhoods. It's a commodity. Basically people who have reliable cars can exchange a rides and whatnot for other services they need, like someone to watch their kids.

So, it's an investment. They are entrepreneurs.

Somfin posted:

Given that they wouldn't even exist anymore if the government hadn't stepped in to save them.

Perhaps they should have been let go extinct, then.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Taxes & Regulations are effective tools in curbing predatory practices, AGC

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Wow, there's a system in place to put dead bald eagles into the hands of Native Americans for ceremonial use.

I don't know why this makes me so happy. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPbdWunqno0&t=42s

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

These are all funny.

lost old man
Nov 4, 2009

I AM HUNGER.
I FEED.
Tinsley getting trolled by the strawman in his own cartoon

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You just know that comic comes from someone chiding him for calling people coloured.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

snucks posted:

Taxes & Regulations are effective tools in curbing predatory practices, AGC

And/or predators.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

One of my idiot fucker coworkers was complaining about EBT the other day. He's just outside the qualifying range and he thinks if people stopped buying lobsters and junk food the state could afford to cover more people. He also suggested just getting rid of it entirely. I wish it would have occurred to me ask him why we shouldn't fund it to include more people, but I think I just wanted to talk about WoW instead.

That really is dumb, because, at least where I live, food stamps have a monthly limit, so what you buy with them isn't going to affect how much you spend per month; buying "responsibly" versus "wasting" your money on whatever thing conservatives are bitching about will still result in the same government cost if you use up to your monthly limit either way. Which isn't exceptionally high; you can eat on it, but you're not going to be eating lobster every day the way assholes act like you are. EBT cards aren't access to infinite food/money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Roland Jones posted:

That really is dumb, because, at least where I live, food stamps have a monthly limit, so what you buy with them isn't going to affect how much you spend per month; buying "responsibly" versus "wasting" your money on whatever thing conservatives are bitching about will still result in the same government cost if you use up to your monthly limit either way. Which isn't exceptionally high; you can eat on it, but you're not going to be eating lobster every day the way assholes act like you are. EBT cards aren't access to infinite food/money.

I suspect part of the problem is the psychology of scarcity.

EBT drops once per month all at once here. When you've spent a week or more looting every couch cushion you encounter for a hand full of coins, you immediately "stock up," because it'll go away fast. Unfortunately $200 of food goes real quick when you haven't been eating regularly. It's the same reason why grocery stores are inundated with old people the first week of every month.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

World Famous W posted:

I blame you and boredom.

Nice.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Iron Crowned posted:

I suspect part of the problem is the psychology of scarcity.

EBT drops once per month all at once here. When you've spent a week or more looting every couch cushion you encounter for a hand full of coins, you immediately "stock up," because it'll go away fast. Unfortunately $200 of food goes real quick when you haven't been eating regularly. It's the same reason why grocery stores are inundated with old people the first week of every month.

Yeah. Back in high school I worked a summer at a Grand Union and start of the month we'd get a two-day flood of people who'd just gotten their food stamps in the mail (this was back when they were actual paper stamps made to resemble but be distinct from actual money) looking to load up, then you generally wouldn't see them again until the next month.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Does make me wonder why we can't just switch EBT to a weekly payment system, it would do wonders for all of that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Does make me wonder why we can't just switch EBT to a weekly payment system, it would do wonders for all of that.

Well that might make it easier for the disadvantaged to get the basic necessities, which runs counter to how social welfare programs are generally run in this country, but it would potentially subject them to public humiliation more frequently, which is totally in line with standard practices, so I dunno?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The solution is obvious, pay the poor by the number of patriotic blog posts they write, with bonuses for xenophobia, racism, and homophobia. The poo poo post will be this generation's public work program.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Trump announced in his Reuters interview that he considers himself a "globalist." Ben Garrison headsplosion in 3, 2, 1....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well that might make it easier for the disadvantaged to get the basic necessities, which runs counter to how social welfare programs are generally run in this country, but it would potentially subject them to public humiliation more frequently, which is totally in line with standard practices, so I dunno?

I mean the people I've known usually waited until nightfall 70% of the time, but a decent weekly amount would definitely assuage the scarcity issue with a monthly drop.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Selachian posted:

Trump announced in his Reuters interview that he considers himself a "globalist." Ben Garrison headsplosion in 3, 2, 1....

:stare::catstare::staredog:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Iron Crowned posted:

That would make them drive out more frequently unless they can save up for a major shopping trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

T-man posted:

The solution is obvious, pay the poor by the number of patriotic blog posts they write, with bonuses for xenophobia, racism, and homophobia. The poo poo post will be this generation's public work program.

How could it be justified given the glut already on the market?

• Locked thread