Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm on my phone so I can't give this the love it deserves, but Fyre Festival is BWM of the year so far

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/857868428752953344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I'm subscribed to a twitch streamer to the tune of $5 a month. I'm the ultimate bwm.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747078&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=895#post471812612

for all your Fyre Festival BWM needs.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Crazy Mike posted:

Ok, I'm going to ask y'all to help me avoid or convince me to be super BWM.

Situation: I'm half of a 100k+ gross income/70k net couple. We plan on one or two vacations a year. I have gotten a taste of flying first class and want it all the time for flights longer than two hours. Have you all made the jump to primarily being a first class flier? Do you only go for the upgrade if it's affordable or have you decided I don't do coach anymore? When did you decide you could afford it?

Complicating things is that we may have a baby soon and while she is under two goes as a lap baby. Is a first class upgrade worth it when you've got to hold on to a baby for five-six hours? Am I going to have to buy two because there is no way in hell my wife will let me sit in first class while she's in coach or do we have some poor arrangement like you get first class on the way up and I get it on the way back?

A July cross country trip with a new baby is in the plans and I am severely tempted to use my miles for that first class upgrade instead of the overseas trip we are planning in a couple years.

I fly a lot, and think that unless youre getting frequent flier upgrades, first class is a waste of money. You only get somewhat better conditions for a few hours. I guess on really long international trips, it could be awesome, but the prices are ridiculous.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crazy Mike posted:

Situation: I'm half of a 100k+ gross income/70k net couple. We plan on one or two vacations a year. I have gotten a taste of flying first class and want it all the time for flights longer than two hours. Have you all made the jump to primarily being a first class flier? Do you only go for the upgrade if it's affordable or have you decided I don't do coach anymore? When did you decide you could afford it?

Complicating things is that we may have a baby soon and while she is under two goes as a lap baby. Is a first class upgrade worth it when you've got to hold on to a baby for five-six hours? Am I going to have to buy two because there is no way in hell my wife will let me sit in first class while she's in coach or do we have some poor arrangement like you get first class on the way up and I get it on the way back?

A July cross country trip with a new baby is in the plans and I am severely tempted to use my miles for that first class upgrade instead of the overseas trip we are planning in a couple years.
Don't do it. It should only be for rich people. 70k net is not rich.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Crazy Mike posted:

That income is not nearly enough to fly business class on all flights in my opinion. It depends a lot on what airport you are leaving from (if you live in NYC you can find lots of options) but a business class flight to Europe will still be $2000 on a good day, compared to what like $500 for a standard fare? So for a couple you are spending $4000 on flights instead of $1000 - like 5% of your combined annual income extra just to be more comfortable for 20 hours.

On domestic flights you will almost never find a deal, and the miles are better to use for international business fares than domestic based on the actual cost difference. So if you really want to do it anyway, you are best paying for domestic flights and using miles for international flights.

Google Flights is the best/possibly only good tool out there to search for cheap business class fares to a variety of destinations/date ranges. You have to type in a general location instead of a specific airport (e.g. from LAX to "Europe") and then you get a second menu style that lets you search for unusually discounted fares.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crazy Mike posted:

Don't bring a baby into first class.

Thank you,
Everyone who flies regularly

-----

Also, an hour ago mint.com added my assets and debts together to calculate net worth. The problem? Debts were unsigned so they literally added the two numbers together. I just refreshed and debts are properly signed as negative so things are working again.

How do you push something that wrong and basic into production on a site that big?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

Also, an hour ago mint.com added my assets and debts together to calculate net worth. The problem? Debts were unsigned so they literally added the two numbers together. I just refreshed and debts are properly signed as negative so things are working again.

How do you push something that wrong and basic into production on a site that big?
Isn't it free? Who cares about the users? They are just the product, not the consumer. If it is good enough, then it is good enough.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
It was the part where he had the audacity to say "it's my money" rather than apologize that really turned my stomach.

That's such a lovely way to manipulate and demean a person your supposed to love.

Even if he hadn't done this you can bet he would be resentful every time she spent "his" money on a new pair of pants or something.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Having flown with infants several times, I am not sure there is anything about first class that will make it more tolerable unless they will just take the baby from you while you load up on booze. You'd be better off paying for one of the seats in economy with additional room (the bulkhead ones) as that is going to be a much cheaper upgrade and will give you the room you might want for additional baby stuff - depending on how small your infant is, there are often actual bulkhead bassinets where you can put them down that make it worthwhile on its own.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think anyone's going to blame you for having a minivan if you're transporting half of the hockey team around several times a week, but everyone with enough money is buying their kid an SUV these days for safety reasons, and now there's some sort of a safety arms race going on.

The irony being that the giant SUVs built on truck frames are less safe because they don't have the crumple zones of a unibody car (at least this was true 10 years ago), and more weight means harder to turn or stop.

Again, 10 years ago, but on average big trucks had worse safety ratings than smaller vehicles built with unibodies.

Countdown to Motronic correcting me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
loving lol if that dude is talking about us domestic first class

Don't pay for that poo poo. I make a lot more money and fly a poo poo load and don't have a wife or kids and I won't buy first/business unless it's Other People's Money

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Crazy Mike posted:

If this post is serious, don't pay for first class. Use your miles for international business/first, fly econ in the states.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Imagine paying hundreds/thousands extra for first class and the couple behind you brought a baby

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My kid managed to get $35 from me to donate to Live.ly and Music.ly streamers before we figured out what was going on. She crashed hard when we cut her off. Like panicked looks and frantic efforts to find loose dollar bills in her room.

It's some kind of dopamine fix. All she got was followed by some popular users and one DM that was, "Hi, thanks" and she was hooked. For $38k you're probably at least getting a Twitcher dick pic.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The irony being that the giant SUVs built on truck frames are less safe because they don't have the crumple zones of a unibody car (at least this was true 10 years ago), and more weight means harder to turn or stop.

Again, 10 years ago, but on average big trucks had worse safety ratings than smaller vehicles built with unibodies.

Crossovers I guess. The same unibody of a car, but higher clearance and maybe some more room.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think that's largely true but any midsize or smaller SUV these days is built on a car platform.

e: e.g. an Explorer is built on a car platform these days, but an Expedition is still based on an F-series truck frame.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Nail Rat posted:

Imagine paying hundreds/thousands extra for first class and the couple behind you brought a baby

Pissing off other people for once was part of my motivation.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I was feeling bad about how we used money this month until I saw that internet rich kids were paying several thousand dollars to get the real Bahamanian experience.

To the first class question, we net an income that is a multiple several times yours and we're not paying for first class to shchlep our baby on a trip in 5 weeks.

I've flown first a grand total of twice and once was the airline making up for having bumped me and the other time was for our honeymoon with points we'd saved for years.

It's glorious, but it's for the really really rich, and infants/toddlers have no business being up there.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 28, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

brugroffil posted:

I think that's largely true but any midsize or smaller SUV these days is built on a car platform.

e: e.g. an Explorer is built on a car platform these days, but an Expedition is still based on an F-series truck frame.

They are still less safe because of the higher centre of gravity which means that they are more likely to have an accident in the first place and, when they do, they are more likely to end up on their roof.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Some international flights have economy plus and if you're planning a vacation way in the future you can sometimes catch those seats for only 25% or so more than economy, and that's the only way I've upgraded with my own money.

BWM: Flying first class multiple times per year when you only make 100k per year and have a family.
BWM: Flying first class more than once or twice in your lifetime when you only make 100k per year and have a family.
BWM: Taking more than one expensive vacation per year when you only make 100k per year and have a family.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Some international flights have economy plus and if you're planning a vacation way in the future you can sometimes catch those seats for only 25% or so more than economy, and that's the only way I've upgraded with my own money.

BWM: Flying first class multiple times per year when you only make 100k per year and have a family.
BWM: Flying first class more than once or twice in your lifetime when you only make 100k per year and have a family.
BWM: Taking more than one expensive vacation per year when you only make 100k per year and have a family.

Dude you can't call someone too poor to do something that's like a major crime here

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I was feeling bad about how we used money this month until I saw that internet rich kids were paying several thousand dollars to get the real Bahamanian experience.

Yeah, check this out, everyone:

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2...-rule-involved/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Not a Children posted:

Dude you can't call someone too poor to do something that's like a major crime here

lol no that guy is definitely too poor to be flying 1st

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

People can be too poor for things, that's not a crime.

Like when I made the mistake of looking into what the price would be to fly private (had a really tight itinerary trying to move 8 people to a wedding on one coast from a reunion on another coast was going to try to split a charter)

Wow flying private is incredibly expensive. We're WAY too poor to fly private.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

loving lol if that dude is talking about us domestic first class

Don't pay for that poo poo. I make a lot more money and fly a poo poo load and don't have a wife or kids and I won't buy first/business unless it's Other People's Money

And he's talking about flights over 2 hours, so that's probably the case.

US domestic first class products are poo poo. Almost everyone sitting in first class is someone like me: frequent business traveller that got bumped based on points/status/whatever, certainly not having paid for it other than by the fact the we fly so much. Then you have a few people with better expense accounts who's company paid for it. On a very rare occasion you have the newlywed couple on their way to their honeymoon who actually paid for the seats with their own money.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Not a Children posted:

What are you talking about, "don't spend above your means" is like the most tired mantra of the entire subforum (where else is the idea of 'Don't Buy A House You Cannot Afford, Jackass' so universally embraced?)

Sometimes I feel that you really don't know or get us at all, forums user Not a Children

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Devops.

To mr first class: Do economy comfort/plus/whatever. I do it for anything not-southwest (especially spirit). I am also 6'4" and steerage is incredibly small. Don't pay for first class unless you're living off dividends.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
First class/business class is what you fly when your company is paying. You never buy that poo poo out of pocket. You have the self control of that twitch retard.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Being poor isn't a crime, but hoo boy implying someone shouldn't be splurging on something they want lost me a couple friends for really stupid reasons before I figured out it's better to just let them do whatever

KingSlime posted:

What are you talking about, "don't spend above your means" is like the most tired mantra of the entire subforum (where else is the idea of 'Don't Buy A House You Cannot Afford, Jackass' so universally embraced?)

Sometimes I feel that you really don't know or get us at all, forums user Not a Children

By "here" I meant "in America"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Inept posted:

I figured most of the people that donated $1k to Twitch streamers were just bored engineers or developers with nothing better to spend their money on. I guess the desire to feel good and rich to randos on the internet is pretty strong for some people.

I assumed it was people who stole credit cards or something.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Not a Children posted:

Being poor isn't a crime, but hoo boy implying someone shouldn't be splurging on something they want lost me a couple friends for really stupid reasons before I figured out it's better to just let them do whatever

ohh yeah well that's why life can often feel like easy mode for a lot of us

I still make dumb impulsive purchases but they are tiny blips in comparison to most Americans' spending habits

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crazy Mike posted:

Am I going to have to buy two because there is no way in hell my wife will let me sit in first class while she's in coach or do we have some poor arrangement like you get first class on the way up and I get it on the way back?

This kills the marriage. Seriously, 'taking turns' or not, sitting in different parts of the plane will be nothing but trouble. It also means you'd both be sitting in a row with strangers, instead of sitting together. The person sitting in coach with the baby on their lap will have to hold the baby the entire flight. No passing off to the other parent so you can go use the tiny bathroom alone. This plan inevitably leads to becoming an E/N superstar.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

KingSlime posted:

ohh yeah well that's why life can often feel like easy mode for a lot of us

I still make dumb impulsive purchases but they are tiny blips in comparison to most Americans' spending habits

I impulse bought gorillaz tickets from stubhub because I thought they were on sale the week before and had already sold out. If I end up getting face value I'll be out $50, plus the cost of the better ticket I got when they actually went of sale. I've been depressed about it all week 'cause it was really fuckin' dumb and I coulda used that money to buy mario kart or something, so maybe I'm the real idiot for not being able to shrug poo poo like this off

e: vvvvvv well now I feel a lot better, at least I didn't get roped into this poo poo

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't give this the love it deserves, but Fyre Festival is BWM of the year so far

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/857868428752953344

This is like dashcon except it has FEMA surplus tents instead of a ball pit

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

monster on a stick posted:

This is like dashcon except it has FEMA surplus tents instead of a ball pit

No, it definitely also has a ball pit, lol, you can see it in some of the pictures!

https://t.co/Us58auYPSB

it's a photoshop :(

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 28, 2017

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

To the first class question, we net an income that is a multiple several times yours and we're not paying for first class to shchlep our baby on a trip in 5 weeks.

I've flown first a grand total of twice and once was the airline making up for having bumped me and the other time was for our honeymoon with points we'd saved for years.

It's glorious, but it's for the really really rich, and infants/toddlers have no business being up there.

I thought the really really rich skipped commercial aviation and went on to private aviation. Where's the acceptable wealth line between coach and first, and where's the acceptable wealth line between commercial and private aviation?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It feels a lot different when the goal is so far out of reach to be unbelievable than when it looks just a stretch away.
The most spartan flight was I had was in a military aircraft for 15 hours. After that 5-7 hours of domestic coach playing on a laptop was no big deal. Kid of a pain but not I could deal. Adding a baby to the mix made me think if the upgrade would be worth it.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This kills the marriage. Seriously, 'taking turns' or not, sitting in different parts of the plane will be nothing but trouble. It also means you'd both be sitting in a row with strangers, instead of sitting together. The person sitting in coach with the baby on their lap will have to hold the baby the entire flight. No passing off to the other parent so you can go use the tiny bathroom alone. This plan inevitably leads to becoming an E/N superstar.

You all are doing a good job of talking me out of this desire. Just like buying a house, if you have to stretch, you're reaching for too much. Of course if I did do that splitting up deal, you know I would disregard the advice and have the one in first class hold the baby.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Crazy Mike posted:

Skip first class shell out a few extra bucks on sedatives for you and your infant.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Crazy Mike posted:

It feels a lot different when the goal is so far out of reach to be unbelievable than when it looks just a stretch away.
The most spartan flight was I had was in a military aircraft for 15 hours. After that 5-7 hours of domestic coach playing on a laptop was no big deal. Kid of a pain but not I could deal. Adding a baby to the mix made me think if the upgrade would be worth it.

Once you have a paid off home, a 6 figure college fund set aside for each kid and a 7 figure retirement fund then feel free to spend an extra $5000 to be more comfortable for half a day.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Droo posted:

Once you have a paid off home, a 6 figure college fund set aside for each kid and a 8 figure retirement fund then feel free to spend an extra $5000 to be more comfortable for half a day.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
FWIW you can occasionally get a first class seat on domestic flights for not a whole lot extra. On one of my business trips to Maui last year United offered me a first class upgrade on my flight back to Denver for only $350, which was absolutely 1000% worth paying out of my own pocket.

But seriously even if you can afford it just fine, bringing a baby into first class is kind of a huge dick move tbh.

• Locked thread