Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish I had your luck/skill in terms of making money >:[
the things I am sorting to sell are Legos.

Sorting Legos to sell is not lucky, or skillful. It is, however, painful, and will wear your fingertips raw surprisingly quickly.

edit: speaking of Legos, Lego just announced an officially licensed NASA Apollo Saturn V Rocket set. It's 120 bucks for 1969 pieces and stands a meter tall.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/137?cmp=Other-GLO-Ideas-OLA-Apr-17-IdeasApollo-POST-Facebook-apollo-CO-LEGO-

They even got the Lander and everything. Worth keeping in mind if you've got a family member who likes space stuff and their birthday's coming up.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

is it on pc so i can daily against someone

Yup. PS4, Vita (not a good version tbh) and now PC

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

the things I am sorting to sell are Legos.

Sorting Legos to sell is not lucky, or skillful. It is, however, painful, and will wear your fingertips raw surprisingly quickly.

edit: speaking of Legos, Lego just announced an officially licensed NASA Apollo Saturn V Rocket set. It's 120 bucks for 1969 pieces and stands a meter tall.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/137?cmp=Other-GLO-Ideas-OLA-Apr-17-IdeasApollo-POST-Facebook-apollo-CO-LEGO-

They even got the Lander and everything. Worth keeping in mind if you've got a family member who likes space stuff and their birthday's coming up.

I'm going to buy this.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

I'm going to buy nuclear throne for a third time today

In Training posted:

Yup. PS4, Vita (not a good version tbh) and now PC

You get the Vita version for free when you buy the PS4 version. You're only buying it a second time. :mad:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

You get the Vita version for free when you buy the PS4 version. You're only buying it a second time. :mad:

Oh, you're probably right. It works the other way too, I assume, since I played it first on Vita and didn't like it and didn't try it again for like half a year.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's with Puyo Puyo Tetris not having a digital version on PS4

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I bought N:A

Endings: W

thanks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

Angriest Pat started a stream where he scumbaggedly opens Heroes of the Storm lootboxes that he bought and offhandedly remarks that all donations he gets during the stream will go into buying more lootboxes. Viewers then donate over 350 dollars to him, turning it into 2 and a half hours of opening loot boxes instead of the short time he intended it to be

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138563131

worth it for new viewers popping in and losing their minds over him wasting all that money, him getting super mad over duplicates, and his girlfriend coming in and being like "JESUS loving CHRIST WHY", and his cat biting the poo poo out of his arm, I'm sitting here sorting a bunch of poo poo to sell and it's perfect to have on as background noise

I hope Angriest Pat and every living thing on earth dies.

Existence was a mistake.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive posted:

What's with Puyo Puyo Tetris not having a digital version on PS4

Ubisoft has the rights to publish Tetris games digitally on the PS4. I don't really know how exactly it works.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ubisoft wasn't content loving up future releases of Turtles in Time, they had to gently caress up Tetris, too.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Which cat left a larger impression on gamers, Bubsy or Blinx the Time Sweeper?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Angriest Pat started a stream where he scumbaggedly opens Heroes of the Storm lootboxes that he bought and offhandedly remarks that all donations he gets during the stream will go into buying more lootboxes. Viewers then donate over 350 dollars to him, turning it into 2 and a half hours of opening loot boxes instead of the short time he intended it to be

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138563131

worth it for new viewers popping in and losing their minds over him wasting all that money, him getting super mad over duplicates, and his girlfriend coming in and being like "JESUS loving CHRIST WHY", and his cat biting the poo poo out of his arm, I'm sitting here sorting a bunch of poo poo to sell and it's perfect to have on as background noise

only Angry Videogame Man #301 could possibly get $350 for doing nothing and still get pissed off that his 150 free boxes somehow had a few duplicates in there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordja posted:

I hope Angriest Pat and every living thing on earth dies.

Existence was a mistake.
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I am video game streamer *verb for upset* *average white person name* and this mediocre game is "a shitload of gently caress!!" (Buy the shitload of gently caress shirt @my etsy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

M-mods?!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordja posted:

M-mods?!
Will you not erase all life from this earth? Will you not end existence with your own hand?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

The Shin Megami Tensei of replies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MinibarMatchman posted:

only Angry Videogame Man #301 could possibly get $350 for doing nothing and still get pissed off that his 150 free boxes somehow had a few duplicates in there

150 free boxes hahaha it was more like 500+

this sums it up nicely: https://clips.twitch.tv/ObeseCorrectEmuKreygasm

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will never understand people who spend hours watching other people play a video game, let alone paying them to do so. It's like your controller hog friend who kept saying "okay now watch me do this" for two hours straight on Donkey Kong Country except now you're watching an obnoxious stranger do it while screaming obscenities.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Captain Invictus I wish you would stop shilling the best friends everywhere because you're really bad at it and make them sound very unappealing to watch when they actually are pretty entertaining.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I will never understand people who spend hours watching other people play a video game, let alone paying them to do so. It's like your controller hog friend who kept saying "okay now watch me do this" for two hours straight on Donkey Kong Country except now you're watching an obnoxious stranger do it while screaming obscenities.

I like watching people do speedruns of DKC but not if they're yelly

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

I am video game streamer *verb for upset* *average white person name* and this mediocre game is "a shitload of gently caress!!" (Buy the shitload of gently caress shirt @my etsy
This post is sponsored by TwentyCentRazorsAndAudiobooks.cn, go there and enter the code SHITLOADOFFUCK for 0.25% off your first purchase!

Vaguely on this topic, the recent spate of Internet Video Professionals upset that the Youtube Ad Revenue Money Bubble is starting to pop a little are pretty funny, especially when they start talking about making their own video sites that will be cool and great and rival Youtube!!!!!!!!!! as if that hasn't been tried by far larger, better-financed groups with varying degrees of failure over the past couple of years.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I suspect a similar bubble-popping will occur with Patreon in the next couple of years due to regulatory changes/the company doing something dumb as Silicon Valley tech firms are want to do/a flood of idiots begging people to pay them for their Minecraft let's plays and sub-Deviantart drawings of wassername from Nier giving Goku a handy (circle one).

Given this, the probably-not-decreasing adoption of ad blockers, and legal change from the bizarre political scenarios developing around the world, it's gonna be an interesting few years for trying to make money on the internet...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Kins posted:

This post is sponsored by TwentyCentRazorsAndAudiobooks.cn, go there and enter the code SHITLOADOFFUCK for 0.25% off your first purchase!

Vaguely on this topic, the recent spate of Internet Video Professionals upset that the Youtube Ad Revenue Money Bubble is starting to pop a little are pretty funny, especially when they start talking about making their own video sites that will be cool and great and rival Youtube!!!!!!!!!! as if that hasn't been tried by far larger, better-financed groups with varying degrees of failure over the past couple of years.

watching people like that 700 pound dork and every pewdiepie subsidiary ever wallow in the dregs will be p. funny

exquisite tea posted:

links from the Pat video were all hearthstone which seems like the most boring thing imaginable to sit and watch. at least the stupid Playerunknown poo poo has the chance for some funny chaos.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I enjoyed watching people play the Friday the 13th game and probably spent a few hours doing it because a) it was marginally tense and b) people would occasionally freak out, for real, when Jason found them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, yes, now get back in the car grandpa, it's time for you to go back to the nursing home.

CJacobs posted:

Captain Invictus I wish you would stop shilling the best friends everywhere because you're really bad at it and make them sound very unappealing to watch when they actually are pretty entertaining.
Where is everywhere? Like 3 threads? Are you...stalking me?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I get the sentiment, but if advertisers throwing (sometimes justified) fits about YouTube content, I do hope that some of my preferred YouTube channels break off and offer a decent subscription model off of YouTube so I can just give them money directly in exchange for entertainment. I'm generally neutral towards the recent changes, but on the other hand I've turned to YouTube in part to get away from advertising and how much influence marketers have on television (although that's far from the primary reason I watch YouTube).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I don't "watch" Twitch per-se, I usually just whack it on my other monitor while I work on things, glancing over when an interesting or funny thing happens. I mean, I could whack Netflix documentaries or something on that monitor instead, but Netflix is for actually paying attention to the screen, y'know?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Maybe the more popular streamers will just straight up start asking publishers for money to stream their games instead of only getting advance copies and freebies like they do now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I personally think that anyone not taking advantage of Patreon while they have a substantial following and before it inevitably explodes due to changing regulations, the company doing something fucky, or the sheer breadth of options on youtube are dumb

some say it's "gross" or "they feel guilty" when patreon isn't a loving kickstarter. It can be a tip jar or subsist your entire living structure, it's not just one thing outside of being a payment processor, really.

exquisite tea posted:

Maybe the more popular streamers will just straight up start asking publishers for money to stream their games instead of only getting advance copies and freebies like they do now.
lol if you think this hasn't already happened. It's gotten some folks in hot water.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

This already happens quite a bit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes, yes, now get back in the car grandpa, it's time for you to go back to the nursing home.

Where is everywhere? Like 3 threads? Are you...stalking me?

I want to emphasize that I have nothing against you personally, but you kind of suck, dude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

mutata posted:

This already happens quite a bit.

What are some of the most egregious examples.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordja posted:

I want to emphasize that I have nothing against you personally, but you kind of suck, dude.
Duly noted!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Kins posted:

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I suspect a similar bubble-popping will occur with Patreon in the next couple of years due to regulatory changes/the company doing something dumb as Silicon Valley tech firms are want to do/a flood of idiots begging people to pay them for their Minecraft let's plays and sub-Deviantart drawings of wassername from Nier giving Goku a handy (circle one).

I can't see the Patreon model failing, honestly, it seems like a pretty solid system for internet content financing. Maybe the company will go under, but the model works well enough that another company will fill the void. It's not really a bubble-able system, or one that will break down if too many people use it, because it's lots of individual transactions rather than a bigger market. I'm struggling to put it into words because I'm not very literate in economics terms, but with a market like internet advertising, the bubble bursts because people put more money into it with the expectation that more money will always come out of it, and when that stops happening then people lose confidence in the market entirely. There's a similar issue with kickstarter and greenlight, where there have been enough instances where people put their money into projects on those platforms and nothing good comes out of them that now, people are far less willing to fund projects with that model.

The patreon model is kinda different because that confidence is invested in one creator/group, and the return on investment is on a much shorter timeframe: XxMineLordxX setting up a lovely patreon for his youtube channel doesn't impact the confidence I have that giving Jennifer Paintswitz $20 a month gives her a few more hours a week to make paintings, because she's had a patreon for a year and a half and I can clearly see that the money I'm paying into it translates into her producing more art. Patreon also helpfully puts the big total $ earned per month/per work sign on the page, so you can do the mental maths and understand how that would help open up time in someone's monthly budget for creating more art/music/videos/etc. It's a financial transaction that is very easy to understand, so I think there's less risk that people paying into the system are going to develop a distorted understanding of what their return on investment might be. There's also the fact that a lot of people just donate without expecting any return on investment at all, which is a gesture that is sort of separate from economic boom and bust cycles and will again depend on how that donator feels about the individual artist, rather than the patreon system as a whole.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Patreon seems really scummy to me. Every once in a while I'll see someone who hasn't produced anything or updated their page in like 6 months but they're still making 60k+ a year off Patreon because people pledged to them and forgot to cancel. It's like having a netflix subscription you never use, except at least in that case there is an actual service being provided, you just aren't using it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Patreon seems really scummy to me. Every once in a while I'll see someone who hasn't produced anything or updated their page in like 6 months but they're still making 60k+ a year off Patreon because people pledged to them and forgot to cancel. It's like having a netflix subscription you never use, except at least in that case there is an actual service being provided, you just aren't using it.

It's really not Patreon's fault that people are bad with money

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For real sometimes taking ownership of your actions is cool and good

Waaah but the service enabled meeeeeeeeeee

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Patreon does also feature actual professional people with degrees who treat it like a proper business and professionally edit their videos and have actual websites and weekly schedules they hold to. You just have to think before you donate.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Tunahead posted:

You just have to think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Red Bones posted:

I can't see the Patreon model failing (...)
A good post, I agree with it

• Locked thread