Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Welcome to the RGBAVFAMI club!

I assume you're signed up for the newsletter and have RSVP'd for the summer steamboat cruise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Welcome to the RGBAVFAMI club!

I assume you're signed up for the newsletter and have RSVP'd for the summer steamboat cruise?

Yup and I already received the complimentary radical sunglasses and blonde 80's-kid mullet wig.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rollersnake posted:

"Alice & Ape III" kinda sounds like a weird/bad Amiga platformer, and I'd assumed it was something along those lines until I happened to watch a playthrough of Arm Wrestling.

The white background to it has reminded me for years of a single screen shareware platformer series from my DOS days. My brain says it was an alliterative title and the games all had a "playable" splash screen which had the title and roman numerals on it akin to that image.

Now you know my hideous secret.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I just got Shinybow RGBSCART->YUV converter and at it appears there is some kind of sync issue. On bright white transition screens it appears to briefly lose sync and the picture starts to scroll before correcting itself. When I boot my Saturn (bright grey screen) it will either scroll slowly or sometimes warp like it's about to lose sync but then holds. Any ideas?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Back in the day, I had a run-of-the-mill CRT TV with composite that didn't like the Saturn. It does some weird stuff, including switching resolutions. It might just be your TV. Have you tried a different one?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

azurite posted:

Back in the day, I had a run-of-the-mill CRT TV with composite that didn't like the Saturn. It does some weird stuff, including switching resolutions. It might just be your TV. Have you tried a different one?

No but that's the next step. This is my first time running it into a consumer CRT. Had no issues on a PVM. But there are sync issues during bright screens on all my consoles when using the converter.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

worthless. posted:

The RGB Famicom I commissioned Monitor Burn for arrived today!

It's so much better than I imagined. Whoever said it's the biggest quality jump was absolutely right. Even came with a rad dogbone controller so my hands don't hurt after a few hours.

Thanks MB! I'll hit you up again when I'm ready for an RGB 2600! :v:

Told ya! (but it's even better on a CRT.)

I personally don't like to use the dogbone, the buttons are somehow aligned weirdly and the cord is too short. It's nice that you can use the euro controllers on the AV Famicom

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A little somethin'-something (PC - PS4 - XB1) just leaked via the Korean ratings website and it reminded me: has anyone tried the Disney Afternoon Collection for PS4/XB1/PC? Did the fix the audio glitches and other issues present in MM Legacy Collection? I imagine they did but I haven't heard a whole lot either way.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A little somethin'-something (PC - PS4 - XB1) just leaked via the Korean ratings website and it reminded me: has anyone tried the Disney Afternoon Collection for PS4/XB1/PC? Did the fix the audio glitches and other issues present in MM Legacy Collection? I imagine they did but I haven't heard a whole lot either way.

Haven't noticed any problems on PC but then I haven't played a ton.

I need to get a good PC controller.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just use an xbone controller, it's great (and probably heretical)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Nah it's very good, especially if you are only going to have one controller.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any recommendations for good, shielded and properly grounded SNES->SCART cables? Alternately, anyone have a good guide on how to properly ground a SCART cable? When I run the 240p test suite and the white grid is perfectly vertical my TV sounds like a chainsaw. Any large amount of white seems to trigger buzzing at some levels. Even my SD2SNES menu does.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I like cables from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ - they have pretty good shielding.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Martytoof posted:

Any recommendations for good, shielded and properly grounded SNES->SCART cables? Alternately, anyone have a good guide on how to properly ground a SCART cable? When I run the 240p test suite and the white grid is perfectly vertical my TV sounds like a chainsaw. Any large amount of white seems to trigger buzzing at some levels. Even my SD2SNES menu does.

I have a SNES SCART that's wired for Euro SCART from Monitor Burn if you're up for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phone posted:

I have a SNES SCART that's wired for Euro SCART from Monitor Burn if you're up for it.

Let me try to see if I can ground this one properly, I think I found instructions online for that once. If I can't manage, or if I somehow cut off a finger while trying to exacto-knife the casing open I'll definitely touch base.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Discount Viscount posted:

Haven't noticed any problems on PC but then I haven't played a ton.

I need to get a good PC controller.

I use a Steam controller and its great! Not too good at twitch shooters or fighting games, but I don't play a lot of those. It's also the only controller that can do point and click games without making me want to die.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
FPS on controllers is a crime tbh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is there a way to have an original Xbox turned on and off with a remote without having to modify the hardware? I was wondering because I was thinking of getting the media remote for it but it doesn't seem to have any power button on it and neither do the third party replacements.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Caitlin posted:

Are you calling Metroid Prime a crime?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

xamphear posted:

Be fair, that game is half platformer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only crime is that it's been 10 years since the last one.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

fishmech posted:

Is there a way to have an original Xbox turned on and off with a remote without having to modify the hardware? I was wondering because I was thinking of getting the media remote for it but it doesn't seem to have any power button on it and neither do the third party replacements.

You have to mod it

http://www.xir.us

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Martytoof posted:

Let me try to see if I can ground this one properly, I think I found instructions online for that once. If I can't manage, or if I somehow cut off a finger while trying to exacto-knife the casing open I'll definitely touch base.

Main thing I've noticed about cheap SCART cables is they never connect ground to the metal SCART shroud (pin 21). There's a hole in the shroud on one side that makes it easy to run a wire through; try connecting that to one of the pins that already has a ground cable connected to it (should be pin 4, 5, 9, 13, 17, or 18). Also make sure pins 4 and 18 are connected to ground, as most SCART devices use those pins.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Caitlin posted:

Timesplitters PC ports when??

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Playing any game on a keyboard is a sin against nature and Gunpei Yokoi.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The steam controller is the worst controller I have ever had the displeasure of using.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

xamphear posted:

Metroid Crime

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TeaJay posted:

I personally don't like to use the dogbone, the buttons are somehow aligned weirdly

Same, I found it more difficult to play most games because Mario conditioned me to hold my thumb horizontally over the stock's buttons (tip presses B, knuckle presses A). To do this on the dogbone you have to bend your wrist to an uncomfortable angle.

A few weeks ago I was in Best Buy for something and they had an Xbone pc pad on display. The d-pad was clicky and very nice-feeling. I have a cheapo Logitech at the moment, the d-pad is great but it, and the rest of the controller, is of poor build quality. When that inevitably goes, I'll probably pick up a Xbone pad.

ITT bonepad chat

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm the same way about controller face buttons.

If I'm playing NES games with a Super Nintendo controller or any modern controller with 4 face buttons, I always bind NES B to SNES Y and NES A to SNES B.

Anything else is heresy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Xbox One controller is probably the best pad on the market right now for the PC, and it helps that it's got two easy wireless options. They really went all out in addressing the dpad complaints from the 360 pad, so it's actually a fully microswitched, cross shaped dpad.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just use a DualShock 4, honestly.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Segmented d-pads are the worst and no amount of market penetration shall change my opinion.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Segmented d-pads are the worst and no amount of market penetration shall change my opinion.

I was so happy when I saw the leaked Dualshock 4:

Then it came out with the old PS D-Pad :(

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, it feels like it's all the same piece of plastic regardless, with the bits joining the directions together beneath the outer shell of the plastic, so it never bothered me all that much.

Though I suppose I do prefer the Nintendo style, where there's no divisions between the directions at all, or perhaps even more than that, the Sega Genesis/Saturn style, where the D-Pad's entire circle is above the outer shell.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I never liked the Xbone's controller. The bumpers click and feel cheap and the face buttons feel weird.

The DualShock 4 ergonomically speaking is the best controller I've ever put in my hands and the new Xbox-like PS controller that Sony looks to be going with breaks my heart.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 28, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally put together a shelf for my retro games instead of just having carts strewn across the carpet like a heathen

Really classy, shoulda done this ages ago

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

The DualShock 4 ergonomically speaking is the best controller I've ever put in my hands and the new Xbox-like PS controller that Sony looks to be going with breaks my heart.

Wait what

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Still better than the garbage they tried to sell people on with the 360 controller.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Nate RFB posted:

Still better than the garbage they tried to sell people on with the 360 controller.

I will take dodgy input I can overcome over "The Fei Long Incident of 1998" wherein I had a two-week blister from a single round of trying to roll rekka-kens with that accursed piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Monitor Burn posted:

Main thing I've noticed about cheap SCART cables is they never connect ground to the metal SCART shroud (pin 21). There's a hole in the shroud on one side that makes it easy to run a wire through; try connecting that to one of the pins that already has a ground cable connected to it (should be pin 4, 5, 9, 13, 17, or 18). Also make sure pins 4 and 18 are connected to ground, as most SCART devices use those pins.

Thanks! I'll try to take the soldering iron to it this weekend :3:

• Locked thread