Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

dsriggs posted:

This is revisionist nonsense to make NASCAR guys feel superior, btw.

this is actually true, the Wood Bros really did revolutionize Indy pit stops, teams were doing ~50 second stops and they cut it to 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cygni posted:

Beef jerky racecars baby

Circle K sponsor really brings it to :magical: levels for me

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

VikingSkull posted:

this is actually true, the Wood Bros really did revolutionize Indy pit stops, teams were doing ~50 second stops and they cut it to 20

Explain how they did this.

Keeping in mind that:
a) The Firestone compounds that year were so hard that cars completed the race without changing tires
b) The Wood Bros. only had experience with gas cans in NASCAR, while the new Indy rules required gravity-fed fuel tanks & hoses.
and
c) The Wood Bros. only appeared on race day. The fuel tanks & hoses were installed by the Lotus mechanics earlier in the month.

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 27, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

dsriggs posted:

Explain how they did this.

Keeping in mind that:
a) The Firestone compounds that year were so hard that cars completed the race without changing tires
and
b) The Wood Bros. only had experience with gas cans in NASCAR, while the new Indy rules required gravity-fed fuel tanks & hoses.

they modified the fuel hose connectors to link up faster and more securely, and practiced fueling all month so that they were aware of the issues with slackness in the hose regarding fuel flow speed

I mean you could read about it or something, tons of books mention this

also there was a reason Ford sent them there and also had them help with the Le Mans program, unless you think that Ford wasn't really serious about racing in the 60's and weren't interested in providing the best tools available to their teams. the Woods literally did the same thing to pit stops in NASCAR, as well

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-shocked-by-us-impact-of-indy-500-decision-898732/

quote:

While the news had a huge impact in F1, Alonso said he was surprised by the scale of the reception he received in the States.

"I walked in the airport in Indianapolis, in Chicago, and everyone is stopping me and shaking my hands, wishing me good luck, so it was like being in Spain for a moment," said Alonso in Russia on Thursday. "Definitely a big change in America for this race.

"I saw also the audience on television was 50 percent more share on that race, so definitely a bigger impact than what I thought in the beginning.

"As I said, the biggest surprise of this weekend or the last five days was the impact of this news and how many people recognise me in those moments, and in the airport.

"I am used to walking in America quite relaxed and I used to spend holidays in the US because no one recognised you and you had some privacy, and it was not like that in the airports at least."

lol jenna

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I have a strong feeling Nando might say gently caress the cash and end up in indy if he enjoys the cars.

gently caress they would make a killing on merch from me alone.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

I have a strong feeling Nando might say gently caress the cash and end up in indy if he enjoys the cars.

gently caress they would make a killing on merch from me alone.

Yeah, no. Relax. He might do the 500 a couple more times if he enjoys it enough but he's gonna be off to WEC after this and the 24 hours.

If anything he needs to end up in Super GT. Also, lol once again how global superstars are completely anonymous in the US every single time.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

VikingSkull posted:

also there was a reason Ford sent them there and also had them help with the Le Mans program, unless you think that Ford wasn't really serious about racing in the 60's and weren't interested in providing the best tools available to their teams. the Woods literally did the same thing to pit stops in NASCAR, as well

It was a PR exercise by Ford after a pitstop the year before. Both Lotus cars were given 2 sets of tires for the race after being assured by Dunlop technicians that their tires would last 250+ miles under race conditions. They planned to have 3 stops for fuel with the 2nd stop being a tire change as well. Gurney came in at around 50 laps in & the Lotus team was ready for a fuel stop, only to see flat spots & chunking in the tires. They realised they couldn't make the distance, and took time to work out what to do with the tires, settling on changing to new ones & seeing what happened. The IMS Radio Network didn't know this & accused the Lotus mechanics of being amateurs who "don't seem to understand what pitstops are for" and were "having a spot of tea" during the stop. This was picked up by newspaper reporters using the radio broadcast for assistance. Much embarrassment for Ford, who insisted that people who knew how to do pitstops were sent to Indy the following year. The change in tire compounds & fueling rules made the change largely irrelevant.

e: it was Gurney, not Clark.

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 27, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, no. Relax. He might do the 500 a couple more times if he enjoys it enough but he's gonna be off to WEC after this and the 24 hours.

If anything he needs to end up in Super GT. Also, lol once again how global superstars are completely anonymous in the US every single time.

Why the gently caress would he go to Anime GT?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

And the immense Samurai knowledge he possesses. How have you never noticed that he's actually a big Japanophile? Er, sorry, Nipponophile?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can see Nando doing both Indy and Le Mans. Indy doesn't have a date opposite of it (and I don't see them doing that in the future), so it's possible to do 2/3 Triple Crown legs in a year.

Though whether or not F1 will do that is a different story.

Though probably once he's done with Le Mans and open wheel, I totally see him going to Super GT or some other GT series out there.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Idk I just get the feeling he's hungry for more open wheel stuff.

I'd love to see him in a GT series but has he ever shown any interest? He's spoke about Indy and Le Mans for a while.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Beef jerky racecars baby

If it's not the "Oh Boy! Oberto" car, I will actively root against it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Given Nando's entire reason for doing the 500 is that he wants the Triple Crown I don't see him going off full time to WEC until he's gotten the 500 win.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Alonso is going to do Indy a few times but spend his retirement years doing WEC like god intended

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yall assume WEC is gonna last

i dont care if he runs 1 race or 100, ill be happy to have him over here in the Good Series for as long as hes interested

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
it doesn't really look like it but Road America was absolute hell on cars (especially gearboxes). I finished the 2000 race and 10 cars made it to the end, and 3 of them had mechanical ailments. It was weird seeing cars that retired 10 laps from the end still in the points.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WindyMan posted:

If it's not the "Oh Boy! Oberto" car, I will actively root against it.

I thought the exact same thing. I miss Thunder on the Ohio.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

A few of the full time Indycar drivers seem to run at Le Mans every year so there's nothing stopping Fernando doing the same thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

That sweet, sweet Honda money.

Otherwise yeah figure he'll dip a toe in Le Mans and then slide to WEC once his F1 career is finished. Not a hard call there. He'd be a benefit to any major manufacturer as a P1 driver.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

His F1 career is already finished if he sticks with Honda. They aren't ever getting their poo poo together in F1.

Also Honda had been pretty poo poo in Super GT for a while now.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/indycar/status/857740548915970048

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

yall assume WEC is gonna last

i dont care if he runs 1 race or 100, ill be happy to have him over here in the Good Series for as long as hes interested

Watch they have to designate imsa as the world championship like they did in the 90s.

Yeah bets are more 500s if it goes well and Le Mans as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

His F1 career is already finished if he sticks with Honda. They aren't ever getting their poo poo together in F1.

Also Honda had been pretty poo poo in Super GT for a while now.

You know what's not finished though? His wallet.

If Honda want to keep him as one of the top-paid drivers in F1, why would he say no? Would you? (Nope)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I think he would take a pretty big pay cut for another WDC.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Good article from Buxton: http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/139953-buxton-alonso-and-alternative-facts

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah good read. And a viewpoint I share.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Buxton usually comes off as a pretentious rear end in a top hat but this was actually a pretty decent column from him.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I very much dig the viewpoint of "race cars are good, let's all enjoy race cars :) "

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

youll be shocked (SHOCKED) to learn that fryer unleashed another pouty twitter storm because of that article

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

We all like all racing, and it's OK that we like some types of racing more than other types. But I think it's important too that we recognize the difference between not liking a series because it isn't your cup of tea, and not like a series because it's not your series. This applies to the pompous lot that blindly think their brand of racing is superior (NASCAR, F1) just as much as it does to the hangers-on that poo poo on the racing of today just because it isn't the racing of past eras (Indycar).

I don't go out of my way for NASCAR anymore, but if friends or internet-friends wanted to get a group together for a Cup race at Fontana and I had that weekend free, you'd better fuckin' believe I'd go. I wonder if F1 snobs or Crapwagonners would do the same.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jenna Fryer is dumb.

F1 is better than Indy and NASCAR.

All motor racing is cool

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

In an attempt to prevent the thread from blowing up, let's just agree that F1 is better in some ways, and <insert series here> is better in other ways.

Doesn't matter anyway because Formula E is going to win out in the end

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

This is the scene Die Hard with a Vengeance where Bruce Willis wears the sign in Harlem.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing Indy and NASCAR have on F1 is that they dont have the idiots of Sky covering the series. But F1 doesnt have Jenna Fryer

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

gret posted:

IndyCar isn't F1 and that's OK.
Still conversationally relevant.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im starting to change my mind about alonso running the 500 if only because its caused these worst threaders to escape the containment zone

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

im starting to change my mind about alonso running the 500 if only because its caused these worst threaders to escape the containment zone

I've been here the whole time.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Really enjoyed the Buxton article, he makes some amazing points

Cygni posted:

youll be shocked (SHOCKED) to learn that fryer unleashed another pouty twitter storm because of that article

Best of her tweets

https://twitter.com/STaranto92/status/857967520447430657
https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/857967635732066304

I mean I've seen some pretty egregious eating habits in the media center, but nothing like that. Just more fake news

WindyMan posted:

I don't go out of my way for NASCAR anymore, but if friends or internet-friends wanted to get a group together for a Cup race at Fontana and I had that weekend free, you'd better fuckin' believe I'd go. I wonder if F1 snobs or Crapwagonners would do the same.

The closest major track to me is MIS, and I've never been there. I would never pay money to attend a NASCAR race there, so I don't think I'll ever go to MIS

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Hmmm let's see, either Indycar and the Indy 500 gets a boost in worldwide exposure because of Alonso, or a few dozen goons get inconvenienced.

Sacrifices must be made for the greater good. Such a shame, too bad Alonso won't get his Triple Crown chance.

• Locked thread